Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Spiritueuse Double Vanille - Guerlain

I've read many glowing reviews and searched everywhere for this unisex fragrance. Any ideas where to purchase a bottle online, or in the USA?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Spiritueuse Double Vanille - Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by gregmech26 View Post
    I've read many glowing reviews and searched everywhere for this unisex fragrance. Any ideas where to purchase a bottle online, or in the USA?
    The SA at the Guerlain counter at San Francisco Neiman's tells me it will be out soon there.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I just read this and ipso facto did a Google search, that new Guerlain sounds really good! Sadly, the price is a little steep
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

I tried it yesterday in Paris - 145 Euros, around $200 - and yes, it is a WOW! That is, if you like vanilla and beeswax as much as I do. I'm very tempted to go back to the Guerlain shop today and treat myself to it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I tried it yesterday in Paris - 145 Euros, around $200 - and yes, it is a WOW! That is, if you like vanilla and beeswax as much as I do. I'm very tempted to go back to the Guerlain shop today and treat myself to it.
    Really, that good huh? Mr. Guerlain's description made it sound like 'rum cake' notes, which is not a bad thing but might be too boozy for my tastes.

Would you liken it to Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford - or is SDV a different animal?

To get it: Guerlain SAs told me that it was only out in very limited quantity. Is it very complicated to get them to send it to US? Or will you have customs issues if you do?

As you know - the Guerlain-only freak that I am - I can't compare it to anything. As I said, I find it REALLY good. Unlike most other frags, it doesn't start with citrus at all - but insted with a sparkling, rum-boozy opening. Yes, it is quite boozy I think. I has the qualities of EdP or even Parfum, that means that actually it gets both stronger and deeper and more insisting on your skin after 4-5 hours. That means: only 2, max 3 sprays! (The other evening, I put on 5 sprays and could then smell myself deliciously until 6 pm the next day.)

It contains cedarwood but Jean Paul Guerlain managed to avoid this modern excessive cedarwood impression that you get from the new Gucci (yes! I actually smelled that one!). The mix of wood, high quality vanilla and a small dose of dry rose is very elegant without any note sticking out. It's a fat, buttery, boozy and delicious Parfum for men.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Would you liken it to Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford - or is SDV a different animal?
    It is interesting. Does it beat Tobacco Vanille?
    Last edited by DreamerII; 9th October 2007 at 08:32 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

So I have to fly to Paris to get this?

Really, that good huh? Mr. Guerlain's description made it sound like 'rum cake' notes, which is not a bad thing but might be too boozy for my tastes.

Very different from Tabacco Vanille, which I love. SDV is more dimensional and even though it is based on vanilla it isn't literal like Tobacco Vanille is. I would say that it's closer to a Lutens, if Lutens was a vanilla freak instead of an amber freak. The Guerlainade signature is quite evident - what is more Guerlain than vanilla? In the end, I didn't purchase it, but at least I have a reason to return to Paris - as if anyone needs an excuse.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 10th October 2007 at 03:08 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

So I have to fly to Paris to get this?
    Available from the Guerlain counet at San Francisco Neiman's.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I'm so happy I was able to order this!

If anyone wants to order GuerlainS piritueuse Double Vanille I recommend you contact "Madelin" at Bergdorf Goodman.

The number is 1-800-558-1855 or 212/753-7300.

Just make sure you tell the operator you want to be transfered to "womens fragrances" and then ask for "Madelin."

I'm sure any sales person can help you in that department.

Anyway, this is the e-mail I received from Guerlain's website:

Dear Sir,

I acknowledge receipt of your mail and I thank you for sending it.

I have the pleasure to inform you that in order to obtain precise information on the availability of a product, I would like to inform you that you can contact Guerlain in the US on the number212)-931-2233.

I would like to inform you that you can order Guerlain products in the US on the number: (212)-753-7300 (Bergdorf Goodman).

You can also contact the shops below:
    Neiman Marcus San Francisco (Union Square)
    150 Stockton Street
    San Francisco, CA 94108

Guerlain Boutique at The Breakers,
    One South County Rd, Palm Beach, Florida 33480.

Otherwise, I invite you to order Spiritueuse Double Vanille via our boutique Champs-Elysées in France (delivery expenses at your charge).

Tel: 00 33 1 45 62 52 57 or champs-elysees@guerlain.fr.

You will find all the addresses of our boutiques, our institutes and our vendors in France as well as rest of the world in our website www.guerlain.com under the headings "Boutiques in the World" and "All our Institutes".

Thank you for your interest in our brand.

Yours faithfully,

Isabelle ROUSSEAU
    Customer Relationship Department
    irousseau@guerlain.fr

Banned

Question Re: Spiritueuse Double Vanille - Guerlain

How much did it come to including shipping? $200 as stated earlier in the thread?

Basenotes Institution

You can also contact the shops below:
    Guerlain Boutique at The Breakers,
    One South County Rd, Palm Beach, Florida 33480.
    I didn't know that there as a Guerlain boutique at The Breakers hotel in Palm Beach? Wow!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Happy for you - you gonna LOVE this, I'm quite sure. One can't but admire this yummi creation... That is, if you're a vanilla freak like I am.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s...lain/Fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    How much did it come to including shipping? $200 as stated earlier in the thread?

$212.75
    Last edited by gregmech26; 18th October 2007 at 05:55 PM.

Basenotes Institution

FYI. I called the Guerlain boutique at The Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach yesterday and the very helpful SA said that they did have SDV in stock at $200 and yes, they could ship to a US address, with a credit card via phone transaction.

If a US Basenoter is wanting to purchase this, I would think this would probably ship quicker than the Guerlain in France.

I asked her, for the hell of it, if she stocked Heritage EDP and she said no.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I called the Guerlain boutique at The Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach yesterday and the very helpful SA said that they did have SDV in stock ... I asked her, for the hell of it, if she stocked Heritage EDP and she said no.
    It's awesone they got SDV 'overthere'. The Paris SA told me just how SCARCE the stock was... Guess she just wanted me to buy quickly. But didn't regret, SDV is perhaps the best Guerlain since Shalimar.

After getting the gold canister for Héritage EdP I've been feverish about them discontinuing it. The SA in Paris said no though. But I soon gotta stock up on it...

Damn, my ever growing Guerlain-collection will pretty probably survive me - which evokes death anxiety in me...

Bergdorf Goodman is having a Guerlain Trunk Show all week. They have, Spiritueuse Double Vanille, Derby, Iris Ganache, Bois d'Arménie and Angelique Noire. It tried them all. Yes, they are all good. But the price, $200, is a bit steep.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 19th October 2007 at 03:00 AM.

"Madelin" at Bergdorf Goodman told me it would be around $124 when I called to place my order; however, she charged my credit card $212.75.

I guess I shouldn't be too bummed out, as it appears $200 is the going rate; however, it's highly unprofessional to misquote prices especially working at a "high-end" store.

It still hasn't arrived after 4 days

140 € = about 200 USD is the going rate, yes. She must have misread something.

"Madelin" at Bergdorf Goodman told me it would be around $124 when I called to place my order; however, she charged my credit card $212.75.

I guess I shouldn't be too bummed out, as it appears $200 is the going rate; however, it's highly unprofessional to misquote prices especially working at a "high-end" store.

It still hasn't arrived after 4 days

Well I received my package today and I can certainly see how one would find it a lovely fragrance; however, there is a note in it that's just not for me.

I do definitely love the smell of the pure raw vanilla extract. It's definitely a high class fragance.

Anyway, if anyone wants to buy my $212.75 new bottle off of me, I'd be willing to sell it for 175 with free s&h, and samples (no paypal).

~Greg
    Last edited by gregmech26; 20th October 2007 at 09:41 PM.

Well I received my package today and I can certainly see how one would find it a lovely fragrance; however, there is a note in it that's just not for me. I do definitely love the smell of the pure raw vanilla extract. It's definitely a high class fragance.
    I'm finding that there is something slightly camphorous/eucalyptus going on, which for me, keeps things from getting too sweet. I'm not sure if I need an entire bottle, but it is an amazing creation.

I dunno, maybe it's because I've been up all night and sprayed SDV after having used the old/rancid Creed Tabarome (which I normally like if it's a fresh batch) yesterday which I purchased from fragrancenet.

I think maybe after a good shower and sleep I might end up trying SDV again tomorrow and end up liking it.

Right now, SDV has a tobacco-ish smell which Im not sure if it's coming from the SVD or the rancid Tabarome bottle I got.

Anyhow, when I simply place my nose near the SDV bottle, it smells sublime... so maybe there's still hope.

I'm unstable like that
    Last edited by gregmech26; 21st October 2007 at 12:16 AM.

Wish I lived in US, I'd buy it instantly to stock up.

Well I received my package today and I can certainly see how one would find it a lovely fragrance; however, there is a note in it that's just not for me.

I do definitely love the smell of the pure raw vanilla extract. It's definitely a high class fragance.

Anyway, if anyone wants to buy my $212.75 new bottle off of me, I'd be willing to sell it for 175 with free s&h, and samples (no paypal).

~Greg

edited
    Last edited by gregmech26; 23rd October 2007 at 04:55 PM.

I recently bought a bottle of this, while in Paris. I'll probably review it properly when i have more time but this truly is sublime stuff! And to think it was originally the underdog among my want list. It also ended up being the only bottle I purchased from that very list! A HG scent, if you ask me.

I love everything about it except that tobacco note. I wish they made a "smoke-free" version so-to-speak.

It's true, it has some moist pipe tobacco in it. But I think more rum and rose when I wear it. Well, I like tobacco so guess I don't smell it very well - I can't get enough of Guerlain's Vetiver.

I love everything about it except that tobacco note. I wish they made a "smoke-free" version so-to-speak.

Basenotes Institution

I still have not smelled this and I am deathly afraid that it'll be discontinued and unavailable when I get around to being able to afford a bottle.

Anyone spoken to the Guerlain boutique for any hints on how quickly this baby is flying off the shelves?

I think its continuing into January. Brilliant stuff, possibly the best fragrance i've ever smelt. I've had a decant for a while but i'm getting a full bottle for Christmas - can't wait.

Any Swiss BNers know where I can score a bottle of this in Canton Zurich?
    (I mean, come on! Guerlain MUST have a boutique in Zurich somewhere!)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Dependent

Is it not true that a lot of limited editions go into regular production if they sell out and get good reviews and on the other hand if it's a flop they just let it die a quiet death?

I got a sample from the Perfumed Court, tried it and gave it to my wife. Thing is I can't leave it alone.

It's much boozier that Tom Fords Tobacco Vanilla and has better sillage. It does not have the Tobacco Vanilla longevity though. The only other place I've found longevity that's comparable to TFTV is in a few Creeds. 24hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Any Swiss BNers know where I can score a bottle of this in Canton Zurich?
    (I mean, come on! Guerlain MUST have a boutique in Zurich somewhere!)
    Just talked to the Guerlain SA in Paris the other day. Helas, SDV is already sold out there! Damn, I wanted to buy a stock up bottle - it's goddamn gorgeous! Let's hope they'll put this out in a more permanent basis soon! According to the SA, it has sold extremely well. Can understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Just talked to the Guerlain SA in Paris the other day. Helas, SDV is already sold out there! Damn, I wanted to buy a stock up bottle - it's goddamn gorgeous! Let's hope they'll put this out in a more permanent basis soon! According to the SA, it has sold extremely well. Can understand why.
    Damn! Me too! What happened to the extra stock?! Will there be new stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Damn! Me too! What happened to the extra stock?! Will there be new stock?
    According to the SA: no. Extra stock already sold out. But you never know...

Blog Entries

I recently was offered the chance to buy a full bottle of this scent. Ordinarily it would be out of my price range, but if I can split the bottle with some fellow Basenoters, I'll go for it.

Please see my For Sale thread here for more details: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1146373
    Last edited by kopah; 29th January 2008 at 02:23 AM.

Every day I'm happier that I purchased a bottle when I was in Paris last month, despite the high price I think I found a small treasure
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Every day I'm happier that I purchased a bottle when I was in Paris last month, despite the high price I think I found a small treasure
    Make that two of us!

Sold out? No, no, noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bum, bum, arse, bum, pants.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 29th January 2008 at 11:58 AM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

SDV is fantastic stuff. I'm going to try and make the bottle last a very long time.

I have a sample from The Perfumed Court, and I rather like it (although my husband said I smell like dessert), and want to test further. My complaint thus far is that I find the sillage and longevity lacking. It certainly fades quickly, and I expected sillage more akin to a Lutens fragrance given the notes in SDV, but its far subtler than that. Has anyone else had this experience?
    My current top 10: Richard James; Clive Christian No. 1 for Men; L'Artisan Voleur de Roses; Creed Aventus, Erolfa, Santal Imperial, Virgin Island Water, and Windsor; Serge Lutens Chergui and Gris Clair

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

I think SDV's exclusivity was the main reason why I eventually added Ambre Sultan to my wardrobe - I needed something else as sultry and sexy in my possession. Anyway, after paying about £40 for 80ml of AS, I shouldn't really complain...
    Last edited by Trebor; 29th January 2008 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wrfritsche View Post
    I have a sample from The Perfumed Court, and I rather like it (although my husband said I smell like dessert), and want to test further. My complaint thus far is that I find the sillage and longevity lacking. It certainly fades quickly, and I expected sillage more akin to a Lutens fragrance given the notes in SDV, but its far subtler than that. Has anyone else had this experience?
    Another member here had this experience also, i forgot who it was...
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I have kind of the opposite experience, and then again not. SDV is one of the only perfumes that I can smell emanating from myself in small whiffs all day, and when I go to the washroom where my shirt from yesterday is in the basket, it's SDV all over. Still, it's so subtle. I find this mix extremely well made: subtle, yet very pronounced.

BTW: I managed to get two of the perhaps last-last bottles of it from the Paris-store today - so now I have it for ages - and me be selling one of them in the future...

Mr. G, I have been intrigued to get the same small whiffs you describe throughout the day. I felt like the scent retreated from its initial hit faster than most Guerlains which is why I questioned its longevity, but once it reached a certain baseline, it has lasted at that level literally all day. It's present without being overwhelming. Congratulations on snagging two bottles; keep me in mind when it's time to sell!
    My current top 10: Richard James; Clive Christian No. 1 for Men; L'Artisan Voleur de Roses; Creed Aventus, Erolfa, Santal Imperial, Virgin Island Water, and Windsor; Serge Lutens Chergui and Gris Clair

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

I sampled SDV from Perfumed Court also. It is fantastic. I need to wear it more times to decide if it should be part of my collection. The vanilla is so deep that I really had no idea vanilla could be so internal, rich, and contemplative. The rich vanilla incense quietly ages into a rich tobacco sweet emanation. As Mr. Guerlain reported it does last all day, but it doesn't announce a presence - it softly wafts from around the corners.

Congratulations on snagging two bottles; keep me in mind when it's time to sell!
    Yes - it already sells on ebay at higher prices than retail, but will surely wait some time...

I just successfully ordered a back-up bottle from the Champs-Elysées boutique, so apparently there's still some available...
    Last edited by Mikael; 30th January 2008 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    I just successfully ordered a back-up bottle from the Champs-Elysées boutique, so apparently there's still some available...
    It's so sweet. An SA from the Paris shop called me on the phone to tell me they have just received a box with a few bottles left to sell - they knew I was interested, so they called me. They claim that when this box is empty, they have no information if the perfume will ever be produced again.

Blog Entries

Yes - it already sells on ebay at higher prices than retail, but will surely wait some time...
    How much is it selling for on eBay? There aren't any listings right now, and I can't find any completed listings. Or are you looking on one of the eBay international sites?

Basenotes Institution

I tried this for the 1st time today, from a sample from Barry (jock_with_scents) and it's outstandingly good.

I only was able to give it one full wearing (it was a teensy sample) so I am not going to post a full review, because I need to wear this scent again to be fair. But for now, I am entranced.

The only other reference points, fragrance wise, I have for SDV is: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford and Ambre Narguile by Hermes. Much boozier than TV, however 'softer' also. TV smells extremely tobacco prominent, whereas SDV has many other notes up there with the tobacco. Like Ambre Narguile it is a gourmand with a sad, melancholic feel to it. I might be reading too much into this, but I swear I came home today feeling a little 'blue'. A little less forcibly spicy than AN also - again, soft.

SDV is still smelling prominent on my skin (my boyfriend came in a second ago and leaned in to kiss me, and said 'you smell good') and yet I applied it twelve hours ago. Amazing!

Of course, I think it has a lot of similarites (in structure) to the way that Heritage evolves, including it's own incredible dry down.

I can't say enough.

I'm buying a decant of this tonight. If I don't, SDV will haunt me. It's that good.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks Mike...NOT! This is just what I need, another must have that is not only expensive but an exclusive that is hard to find!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    Thanks Mike...NOT! This is just what I need, another must have that is not only expensive but an exclusive that is hard to find!
    LOL.

Actually, full blame falls squarely on Mr. Guerlain's shoulders. He started this whole SDV madness!

-- Eckhart Tolle

OK, Barry, it's all your fault. Can this still be found anywhere? I know Bergdorf's had it but does it still?

The only other reference points, fragrance wise, I have for SDV is: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford and Ambre Narguile by Hermes.
    Like Ambre Narguile it is a gourmand with a sad, melancholic feel to it. I might be reading too much into this, but I swear I came home today feeling a little 'blue'. A little less forcibly spicy than AN also - again, soft.
    I started to appreciate SDV more. It's really "blue" scent - such melancholic and meditative

But the closest scent (not from the point of ingredients but from it's moody facet) is Cacharel's Gloria.
    Last edited by DreamerII; 8th February 2008 at 02:56 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

It ended on 153 € http://cgi.ebay.fr/Eau-de-Parfum-GUE...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    How much is it selling for on eBay? There aren't any listings right now, and I can't find any completed listings. Or are you looking on one of the eBay international sites?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    OK, Barry, it's all your fault. Can this still be found anywhere? I know Bergdorf's had it but does it still?
    I just got off the phone with Bergdorf Goodman in New York, and the woman at the Guerlain counter said they DO have it in stock. Phone: 212-753-7300

Just call me the SDV enabler.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hehe Mike - I don't take this as a blaming, but a compliment! I'm glad if I have spread a bit of Spiritueuse Double Vanille madness - cause oooouuchh it's good. You are right that it has a melancholic aura - the same melancholy as L'Heure Bleue. I'm pretty sure it's a sort of coldness or dryness that we sense in it - whereas Shalimar is warm and opulent. The incense in SDV is described by Guerlain as 'dry'.

LOL.

Actually, full blame falls squarely on Mr. Guerlain's shoulders. He started this whole SDV madness!

I just got off the phone with Bergdorf Goodman in New York, and the woman at the Guerlain counter said they DO have it in stock. Phone: 212-753-7300

Just call me the SDV enabler.
    It the price a case of....."if I have to ask then........." I fear your answer.......!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    It the price a case of....."if I have to ask then........." I fear your answer.......!
    I didn't ask the price. I assumed it was the same as gregmech paid (scroll up earlier in this thread - he bought it from Bergdorf last year), which was (with tax/shipping) $215.

-- Eckhart Tolle