Code of Conduct

Default I think I'm a fragrance retard

Basenotes is wonerful for showing me the way of great smelling fragerances, but I think it could be dangerous. I decided this morning that I was finally going to buy a bottle of Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire. I flew through the sample and really enjoyed it, plus I do not own a vetiver fragrance. I figured while I was on the Barney's site that if I bought another bottle I could get free shipping. So I blindly bought Musc Ravageur based on all of the glowing reviews. Fortunately I have never really put myself in financial jeoprady for fragrance. However I sometimes wonder if there is something wrong with me for dumping that much on fragrance. By the way I also picked up Hugo XY the other day at Dillards's. I needed something pleasant and light to wear at work at it lasted forever on me.
    Last edited by Raist679; 9th October 2007 at 02:12 AM.

Default Re: I think I'm a fragrance retard

Let us know what you think of MR once you've had time to sample/savor it.

It's my Holy Grail (or at least as close as I've come since Bois de Portugal).
    Still, I'm the first to admit that MR is definitively a love-it-or-leave-it kind of frag for most folks.

I'll be very interested to hear your review of it. Btw, did you buy the three 10ml vials or the big 100ml bottle?
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 8th October 2007 at 11:18 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Off-Scenter

Don't fret! If you at all enjoy Musc Ravageur (a favorite of mine), it's worth the price. I'm on my second 50 ml. bottle. And even if you hate it, it has so many fans that you'll have no trouble selling or trading it.

MR is a strong-willed, some what subtle, delicious frag; one of my favorites!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

"Strong willed yet subtle" -- a perfect description coming from a man who digs cigar smoking chicks!

Seriously, MR is some DAMN good stuff. Just do yourself a favor and don't over-apply it, as a little bit goes a LONG way.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Let us know what you think of MR once you've had time to sample/savor it.

It's my Holy Grail (or at least as close as I've come since Bois de Portugal).
    Still, I'm the first to admit that MR is definitively a love-it-or-leave-it kind of frag for most folks.

I'll be very interested to hear your review of it. Btw, did you buy the three 10ml vials or the big 100ml bottle?
    I splurged and got the big bottle for the value of it. I may never get through it all, but it makes more sense to me for some reason. I think I will like it from the many descriptions and reviews I have found here. I'll let you guys know.

Quote Originally Posted by Raist679 View Post
    I splurged and got the big bottle for the value of it. I may never get through it all, but it makes more sense to me for some reason. I think I will like it from the many descriptions and reviews I have found here. I'll let you guys know.
    And if you hate it, pm me first.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I tried MR at Barneys for the first time the other day. True to its name, the Musk really "ravaged" my nose in a bad way. I was hoping it would be like Dior Homme, but the subtleties were lost on me. I was however impressed with Carnal Flower and must try this one again.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    And if you hate it, pm me first.
    You'll be the first to know. Since I am kind of new here how does the swap thing work. I have a number of scents I never wear. I was about to list my bottle of Imperial on Ebay. I loved it in Neimans, but it doesn't really work for me.
    Last edited by Raist679; 9th October 2007 at 02:15 AM.

First, I hope you find the magic in Musc Ravageur. I love it, and my wife always says that I can throw away all my other fragrances when i wear it. I will echo the warnings about over application. It can suck the air out of a room pretty quickly - or an elevator, as was the case with me once...

Swapping is one of the better aspects of Basenotes. You can usually find someone to swap or purchase the bottles you have gotten tired of. Just post a listing in the Swap thread and someone will find you. Alternately, you can read what others have for swap and contact them with proposals. I have been able to keep my collection fresh by swapping for new stuff and decants (which don't really exist) for the last many years.

Happy hunting.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

I'm going to echo a lot of what has already been said, but MR is a really excellent fragrance. The first time I wore it I didn't really think it was all that special. It was nice, but not that that exciting.

Then about an hour later, magic started to happen. "Wow," I thought, "this is what I want to smell like right now."

Try it and give it some time. I don't think you wasted your money at all.

Spending income on your wardrobe is essential in a lot of areas and if you have the dough it just feels real good. Like shoes, shirts, ties, taste in cars. It can get out of hand but it doesn't make you retarded. If you're in good health young and well educated then there's a place for fine fragrances.

Not beating yourself up for making decisions helps too. Enjoy the MR and welcome to Basenotes. You came to the right place.

If I seem like the old coot that greets you at Wal-Mart, you're right. The dementia set in while I was visiting Basenotes and now I just buzz around in here all day long. Once the lights were out for almost two months but I survived on the huge bar's liquor and pretzel sticks.

see ya

I do feel guilty everytime i buy a new fragrance...but quicky get over it

Welcome to basenotes.
    Last edited by knightowl; 9th October 2007 at 04:31 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Thanks guys for the welcome. The buyer's remorse does start to wear off before long. Now comes the dreaded anticipation. Does anybody have a idea of how quickly Barney's ships? I'll survive, but now I can't wait for my goodies to arrive.

You should have your order within a week tops.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Well, just to give a update I'm not a Barney's fan so far. It took them nearly a week to get my order approved for shpping. Something about verifying my billing address and using a abbreviation for my address *** court. However after straigtening it all I they told me that my two bottles would ship today. I get home from work and find out they are out of stock on the vetiver. The fragrance I really wanted and was not buying blind. Oh well, I guess it could be worse. I'm sure I'll have fun with the Musc, my most expesnive blind buy ever. Now I'm feeling even more adventurous. I know I should wait, but I am contemplating buying another fragrance blind anyway. A Le Labo perhaps?
    Last edited by Raist679; 15th October 2007 at 11:09 PM.

Swapping is great, and MR is great, but... You just dropped $350-400 on a couple of presumably great ( have MR but never tried VE, nor do I really want to) fragrances... it isn't that much in the grand scheme of things, it isn't that much for a hobby -- and it could always be worse (Drugs, worse...) -- plus you get to smell nice! There are lots of positives.

Don't spend more than you want to, it's that simple. Set some limits and stick to them. Try swapping out or selling your old scents that you dont like, to find ones that you do -- things like MI will get swapped or bought relatively quickly, same for MR (if you couldn't tell...) maybe you can do some swapping for a while if you're not into the buying scene.

Best of luck and enjoy.

The money not a big deal. You can't take it to your grave. I guess I am just dissapointed that Vetiver Extrodinaire was out of stock. I really liked it and my sample is nearly gone. I was thinking that I would wait for Barney's to get some stock in or I might order one of the Le Labo's.

It's a phase: the ecstatic first two years; followed by a period introversion and self questioning (which does come up in the ecstatic phase sometimes when you look at credit card bills); then the maybe it's "over", when it all comes raging back like herpes out of the dormant period, only nicer, of course. Then you fall into a period of self-acceptance, and slower acquisition. I am in that slower acquisition phase. It's all righ, now. Kinda like stamp collecting, almost, but not really.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 16th October 2007 at 01:09 AM.

Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking about doing.
    I had the 5ml sample of MR and LOVE it, so now I'm gonna buy the 100ml bottle from Barney's on Thursday when I get my check. I was interested in also buying Noir Epices by Frederic Malle from Barney's, and CdG Kyoto. I got a sample of Noir Epices from Malles website on Saturday and don't think I like it enough to buy the 50ml or 100ml bottle, so I was looking into Rose 31 by Le Labo(also made a thread about it recently asking if it was a good blind buy) instead to make my wardrobe more diverse. I just also made a Fragrancenet purchase and it took them a week to process the order, tell me the order was on hold for some reason, then email me saying they don't have a fragrance in stock that I had initially ordered, then they tell me they are going to credit the amount to my account on Friday and they still never did it... I really hope Barney's isn't the same way for me

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raist679 View Post
    The money not a big deal. You can't take it to your grave. I guess I am just dissapointed that Vetiver Extrodinaire was out of stock. I really liked it and my sample is nearly gone. I was thinking that I would wait for Barney's to get some stock in or I might order one of the Le Labo's.
    It's really dissapointing when so many fragrance websites list something in stock, and then later you find out it is backordered once they have your money. Just checked out Barneys and they still list VE as in stock (100ml)