Code of Conduct

Wink My Aoud Mood Ode to Montale, Paris

In Paris you can get a 50ml size of their Aoud range at the Montale boutique for 55 Euros, roughly $80. The 100ml is 100 Euro/$140. The non-aouds are about 10 - 15 Euros less. A much better deal than the $210, 100ml price offered in the US. That said, I bought Black Aoud, Lime Aoud and Royal Aoud, and the super nice SA threw in a bottle of Roses Musk, a sublime, non-sweet, non-aoud, rose. They also charged my Black Oud with extra parfume essence, which I was told, is only possible at the Paris boutique, so I guess I have, Black Aoud Extreme.
    The SA took me through all the aouds and even sampled, on my arm, the actual pure aoud oil that Montale uses in their base. Quite amazing and quite animalistic. They have a range that is made for their Middle Eastern clients that are very, very heavy, sillage monsters. I sampled a few, wow-za!
    The SA suggested Ambre Aoud perhaps isn't a great choice for a westerner as it has the potential to clear a room, but their non-aoud, Blue Ambre, is quite amazing and easy.
    I'm a Montale convert for life or at least until this aoud mood passes!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 9th October 2007 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Various

Default Re: Good Aoud - My Paris Montale Experience

Sounds like a very positive experience, Ruggles. The difference in price is quite shocking really. Enjoy your frags! I know where to go next time I'm in Paris .
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: My Aoud Mood Ode to Montale, Paris

It sounds like you chose the 'best' of the Montale line - congrats!

Do you remember the names of any of the ones they only sell in the middle east. Were you able to buy those their also and how did any of them smell. Thanks.

quite a field trip!

I've got old school chums in France and have been meaning to visit. Sounds like a trip to the store is a good way to spend an afternoon.

There is such a pleasant tone to the experience you describe.... just reading it made delightful images conjure. The sampling of new scents, the behind the scenes whiffs.

The idea of room-clearing fragrances hardly comes to mind when thinking of any Montale I've encountered. Makes me think of a roomful of "roosters" drenched in mall-bought aquatics-- my version of a level of Hell.

Good customer service is always a bonus and makes the line look more inviting. Looks like you had a lot of fun at a full service station.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    They also charged my Black Oud with extra parfume essence, which I was told, is only possible at the Paris boutique, so I guess I have, Black Aoud Extreme.
    I heard this a lot, but I don't get it...the Black Aoud I have now is killer with sillage...I can't imagine anything stronger....how do they differ?

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Do you remember the names of any of the ones they only sell in the middle east. Were you able to buy those their also and how did any of them smell. Thanks.
    I don't remember the names, but I saw about 8 of them on the shelf. The containers are gold. I remember the one I tried was called simply Sandalwood and it was just that, pure Mysore sandalwood. As you could imagine, it was very deep and resinous. I didn't get the exact price, but I know that this range is much more than the Aouds and the EdP's.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I heard this a lot, but I don't get it...the Black Aoud I have now is killer with sillage...I can't imagine anything stronger....how do they differ?
    Before this visit my experience with Montale was nil, so I can't say how it differs with the infusion. What I do know is, after wearing it to my birthday party on Saturday, two of my guests high-tailed it to the Montale shop and purchased some.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 10th October 2007 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

All of my Montales have come from the Swiss clearance sale, and I couldn't be happier. Montale has shot to the top of my favorite perfume house list....sorry Chanel and Creed.
    Hearing your experience just ramps up my anticipation for my trip to Paris next fall.
    Enjoy your scents!

Blue Amber is magnificent -- probably the best amber frag I've ever put on my skin -- hands down, far and away.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 10th October 2007 at 05:01 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Blue Amber is magnificent -- probably the best amber frag I've ever put on my skin -- hands down, far and away.
    Being a true amber fanatic myself, I completely agree!

Being a true amber fanatic myself, I completely agree!
    of the Montales I have sampled, my favorites are Blue Ambre and Jasmin Full.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    of the Montales I have sampled, my favorites are Blue Ambre and Jasmin Full.
    What other Amber based fragrances do you like?

What other Amber based fragrances do you like?
    Anne Pliska has of late stolen my heart...it is like a softer decidedly feminine relative of Ambre Sultan, which is the other wonderful amber based frag that I love.

I was reading the sniff and speak for Amber frags - I have not yet intentionally explored this note perse... not yet.
    (where are you staying in Paris, may we ask? can you hear my heart beating faster?)
    Last edited by rtamara41; 10th October 2007 at 04:53 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    Anne Pliska has of late stolen my heart...it is like a softer decidedly feminine relative of Ambre Sultan, which is the other wonderful amber based frag that I love.

I was reading the sniff and speak for Amber frags - I have not yet intentionally explored this note perse... not yet.
    (where are you staying in Paris, may we ask? can you hear my heart beating faster?)
    I was at a friend's place in the 1st, over looking the Pont Neuf. Amazing, amazing, amazing visit. I'm back in NY now.
    Thanks for the amber tip. I bought Guerlain's new Voile de Nuit Evasion EdT, it is a lovely amber/vanilla update.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 10th October 2007 at 05:07 PM.

I was at a friend's place in the 1st, over looking the Pont Neuf. Amazing, amazing, amazing visit. I'm back in NY now.
    Thanks for the amber tip. I bought Guerlain's new Voile de Nuit Evasion EdT, it is a lovely amber/vanilla update.
    it all sounds lovely.
    and, if you get a chance to try Anne Pliska, my guess is that you'll really like it.

Basenotes Institution

I had heard that the Vol de Nuit Evasion packaging is this weird box that has propellers on it, to give it an optical illusion (suggesting travel...I guess?) - was yours like this?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I had heard that the Vol de Nuit Evasion packaging is this weird box that has propellers on it, to give it an optical illusion (suggesting travel...I guess?) - was yours like this?
    Sounds cool, but the box mine was in looks like this: