Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3X3 Blind Sniffing "Comin' Up Roses" Round starts.....NOW

All three sniffers - Niemand, Squeezeweasel and Thrax have received their samples and are rarin' to go! You rose lovers/wearers keep a close eye and join in the fun.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Default Re: 3X3 Blind Sniffing "Comin' Up Roses" Round starts.....NOW

First of all, Thanks to the person that gave me the rose bud....

First testing......of Sample A.

- Color: Looks Clear but it's actually a very faint pink.
    - Very oily, believe it's an EDP but the sillage and longevity is more like an EDT.
    - I think it's Unisex, that's because I think most scents can be wearable by either sex, but it leans more on the feminine side.
    - It's not complex at all, I get 5-6 different notes with one really overpowering note, probably a simple note pyramid.
    - Topnotes: smells really sharp and very similar to nail polish.
    - Middlenotes: Gets slightly sweeter, but this is no where near a sweet scent I get the rose in this phase and then it vanishes. Possibly violet here as well (don't know).
    - Notes that I can detect (probably entirely wrong, not good at this): Anise seed, lavender, jasmine, flower notes, violets, maybe some blossom note. *confused*
    - Not soapy at all, but very close smelling to Ivory soap IMO or some sort of bath and body soap stuff.

Hard to describe, might have to test it out a bit more, but its no where near sweet (no vanilla), woody (no sandalwood, wood notes, etc..) or spicy...possibly slightly floral + sweet, some flower notes ?????

Very sharp...reminds me of some sort of scented nail polish...very airy transparent slightly sweet floral smell to me.

BTW, if I didn't know this was a niche, I would have thought it was a designer or drugstore scent...Sorry!
    Last edited by Niemand; 10th October 2007 at 03:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great beginning Niemand! :bounce: (Love a guy who jumps right in!!) And I apologize one more time for revealing the categories of A, B and C. Niemand is of course reviewing A. (Kinda hoped the silk roses would protect the vials!! Glad you liked.)

Interesting that the rose note(s) didn't last for you. Light rose? Or deeper, do you think. (A sort of hint - this is a relatively new house that got quite a bit of play on the ladies boards when it debuted.. It is NOT in the Directory but like I said - several of the women and at least one guy have reviewed the line and this scent.) You say that you think it's unisexy - does it seem modern or does it have "classic" hint. Does it remind you of any rose that you like or have worn. (You're right on with the violets!)

Darn! It's time to go to bed!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Interesting that the rose note(s) didn't last for you. Light rose? Or deeper, do you think. (A sort of hint - this is a relatively new house that got quite a bit of play on the ladies boards when it debuted.. It is NOT in the Directory but like I said - several of the women and at least one guy have reviewed the line and this scent.) You say that you think it's unisexy - does it seem modern or does it have "classic" hint. Does it remind you of any rose that you like or have worn. (You're right on with the violets!)
    I honestly don't think it's mostly composed of roses, but I may be wrong, I don't get too much rose in this one...Top and then Middle, but it's almost completely gone when you get to the base after a couple of hours.

When I smell it, I think a man or a women can pull off wearing it, that's because I'm very open, so that's why I think it's Unisex, but on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if it was just marketed to women, because it smells more feminine to me.

Definitely has a classic character to it, at first I thought it was one of the older Guerlain scents, but at the same time, it smells a bit modern..but not so such....possibly a split between.

It reminds me mostly of Montale's Aoud Damascus...because they are both very simple rose scents. They aren't complex in composition. Sample "A" opens up with a brief sharp note, but it stays very similar to the end.

LOL at only get the violets right, after listing all those notes, I know I have a bad nose.

EDIT: tested this out again, the topnotes aren't as sharp as before, mostly rose..and maybe some light citrus notes in there as well (???).
    Last edited by Niemand; 10th October 2007 at 04:40 AM.

Thoughts on A as I sniff, my silk rose behind my ear:

Pale yellow juice - perhaps a little pink to it, and I suspect a full bottle might look a very pale pink.

I'm getting lots of rose and some violet. The opening's quite sharp, but not exactly citrusy, and reminds me of Paris. The Paris feeling's gone by the time it hits the middle, where I'm getting apple blossom and a little powder.

I'm waiting for some musk in the base, which would deepen the scent and round it out - its top continues to be very loud. No musk is appearing - the rose continues to sing right at the top of its frequency (if that makes any sense). A plummy note? That may be the apple blossom. This is turning out quite linear and completely floral - not a sniff of any woods or musks or spices, and I think the plum I'm getting is just a facet of the rose.

As it dries down I'm finding some muguet in there too, and the rose is backing off a bit, with the apple blossomy note coming forward.

I bet this is marketed for women, like most linear florals. Having said that, I think a man could wear it without any trouble. It's a straightforward perfume which would be very easy to wear.

::choking and laughing::

Tao, you are a devious woman
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Sadly, it's gone a little soapy in the drydown.

I'd love to know what Riannon's killing herself laughing about...
    Last edited by Squeezeweasel; 10th October 2007 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Can't spell!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel View Post
    I'd love to know what Rhiannon's killing herself laughing about...
    ....me too.

The reports from you and Niemand are so interesting in their samenesses and differences. This is one of those scents that takes a couple of wearings to really suss out. It it aimed at women but I agree that a man cold wear it too. Wonder what Thrax thinks?

There's no apple blossom or plum but other flowers with a contralto note. And at it's heart it is a rose - is a rose is a - rose....

Is there a small amount of very creamy sandalwood in the base? (If there isn't, there must be some sandalwood on my cardigan...)

Post Thanks / Like

When you said "nail polish" I thought it might be an oud note, but the Montales are in the Directory.
    Is the harsh note veitver?

Post Thanks / Like

Sandalwood's in Squeeze's cardigan - and The Bird is on to the right basenote....

Definitely no oudh or vetiver to my nose, although this earthy thing may be vetiver, but if it is, it's very subtle. I didn't really get nail polish, but I can see how a very lemony rose could mimic it (and there's definitely a lemony rose here - I think the composition uses several different roses).

I have removed my cardigan.
    Last edited by Squeezeweasel; 10th October 2007 at 12:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

good the cardigan's gone...and you're right about the "several roses"....

Remember, this is a relatively new house - you might try poking around in the threads....and articles here on BN...

Post Thanks / Like

Lemony roses... Un Zest de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine? Just a guess.

To be honest, it was a bit better with the cardigan.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Riannon and I are giggling on the same frequency.

I'm somewhere else right now, so when I get home, I'll test it out for the 3rd time. As said before, you probably need to test this out a few times. The 2nd time I tested this, I didn't get nail polish.

Overall, very linear scent, floral, viloets and some flower notes with several rose notes (I think they overlap or fairly faint). I don't get vetiver or aoud either, the vetiver might be faint, don't know. Just this very harsh sharp opening I can't explain.

Topnotes I get a very light citurs with rose....hopefully I'll catch some new things when I retest it...hopefully Thrax jumps in as well.
    Last edited by Niemand; 10th October 2007 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    I think Riannon and I are giggling on the same frequency.
    Oh yes!

I can hear you loud and clear, Sista!!
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

This giggling is making me nervous.

Post Thanks / Like

This giggling is making me nervous.
    Ignore them I'm going to put them in a corner!!!....and concentrate on your nose. You're doing great.... .

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions smellers (mind you, I don't know the identity of A):

Does the rose smell sweet and candied? Or wet?
    Is the vetiver (or harsh, earthy, nailpolishremoveresque note) only at the top or does it stay in the middle or basenotes drydown?
    Does this smell like something that is American made or European?

Where the hell is Thrax!? [[yelling...Jesse!!!!!!]]
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th October 2007 at 09:39 PM.

Testing it for the 3rd time. I really don't have much to add, I guess we should try guessing now or figuring it out with the information we know but I have no idea where to start.

The rose is fairly light, slightly sweet and a bit wet IMO fades away after the middle notes, and Squeezeweasel was talking about plum, I actually do get that a bit now, but maybe it's Bulgarian Rose or some Plum rose note instead.

I still don't think there's vetiver is this one, but I may be wrong, perhaps a fresh cut grass note instead (?). The nail polish note IMO is sharp in the topnotes and fades slightly after wards, but still over powers into the middle notes, then eventually fades away when you get into the base. Base is floral but I still need to test it out some more. Maybe even a softer wood note.

Probably produced by an American nose, it's very simple, straight forward, and linear. I'd be surprised if this was made by a European perfumer. It has this drugstore store scent vibe with a designer quality about it...Surprised it's niche, honestly still think it smells like scented soap or nail polish.
    Last edited by Niemand; 10th October 2007 at 10:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's recap for a minute - Niemand was right on about the violet note - and Squeezeweasel was right about there being more than one rose and Purple Bird was right about the vetiver bottom note. (The parfumeur has created several well-known and Basenotes-beloved male frags [as well as others] and is not American.)

Sent a pm to the missing Thrax - hoping he'll chime in soon.

Not Une Zeste de Rose, Indiscreet although that was a good guess based on some of the clues so far. But the Zeste is brighter, infused with a tea note not present in A, and opens with a definite citrus top note. There's no "citrus" in A.

Riannon and Kyra are giggling together in the corner because they have correctly identified A. Sheeesh.

EDIT: I placed a reasonable guess, and was told I was correct by someone who knew the answer (in the absence of Taolady) but I forgot and didn't know if it would be okay to move on without at least hearing Thrax's impressions on Sample "A", so I edited my post, and we'll wait for him..hopefully he didn't see my answer.
    Last edited by Niemand; 11th October 2007 at 06:15 AM.

Thrax

I will be posting my full reviews on thursday. I wanted to wait for my day off to give a complete review on longevity. I hope your ready!!
    --------------------------------------
    Alright alright alright...I know I'm holdin things up a bit. So I decided to post my review of sample A tonight, instead of tomorrow.

Sample A: Whoa! Damn feminine I'd say. But hey I have been known to have opinions that everyone didnt agree with. This one isnt suitable for a man I dont think. This seems more like a smell that would come out of an 20-30 year old bottle that came from a 90 year old woman's top dresser drawer. Also I see where sqeezeweazel is getting the apple blossom. This one is too girly for me. Sharp florals that just wont give up. Reminds me very much of a women's Chanel that I tried in a department store once. No 5? Hmmm... I cant remember. To me this one smells like a potpouri (spelling?).

20 minutes pass......

Lily? Is there lily in this one? I'd nearly swear it. Far to linear on me and seems to be fading pretty fast. Much more of a "sour" rose note.

It reminds me of an extremely less complex No.88.....or maybe that is giving this one too much credit..
    Last edited by Thrax; 11th October 2007 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Red face Re: 3X3 Blind Sniffing "Comin' Up Roses" Round starts.....NOW

I'll take a shot in the dark on this one...Rose de Siwa?

I've still got no idea what it is, but I should clarify what I meant about a citric rose. I don't mean I smell lemons, rather one of those roses which tends towards the lemony in its own scent (in the way that some roses tend towards pepper, cloves or rubber).

A blind guess - Scent Systems rose?

Post Thanks / Like

Niemand you are such a gentleman - holding off on posting your answer until Thrax had the opportunity to post his impressions. And thanks to whoever alerted you that you were correct in identifying MDCI's Rose De Siwa as the niche rose scent in this sniff off!! http://parfumsmdci.free.fr/

This is the work of Francis Kurkdjian who also brought you "" Le Mâle " , " Fragile ", for Jean-Paul Gaultier, " Armani Mania " for Armani, " Miracle Homme " for Lancôme, " For Her " for Narcisso Rodriguez, " L'Eté et l'Automne " for Van Cleef & Arpels, " Kouros Eau D'Eté " for Yves Saint Laurent….Many more, with unusual works such as the re-creation for the Museum of Versailles of Queen Marie-Antoinette's favorite fragrance."

The official notes are: Headnotes of litchee, peone and hawthorn are followed by irresistible, intoxicating notes of Moroccan and Turkish roses, which, interlaced with violet play on a backdrop of precious cedar, musc and vetyver. Squeeze, I think it is the lichee that gives the citrus impression, and of course the vetiver - as PurpleBird correctly guessed - the "nailpolish" note. MDCI has a very generous sample program and if you're at all curious you should check it out.

Personally I was fascinated by the facts that neither of our TWO guy sniffers (a first!!) particularly cared for this "girly" frag, and although Niemand thought it could be considered unisex Thrax firmly did not and compared it unfavorably to C&S 88 (which - again - personally, does nothing for me although I am charmed if unmoved by RdeS.)!! I love roses, and both 88 and LeLabo Rose 31are highly rated by many guys and are absolutely harmless on me.

Never mind pheromones - hormones!!

The first correct guess was by Kyra, then Riannon (who, after pm-ing the answers, giggled naughtily, had to be separated and banished to separate corners) then Niemand and then Zibeline. Great going since this is not a much discussed frag and is not in the directory.

So. On to B!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I'd have a stab at Creed Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare, but not sure if it has violet. I know it has a lot of roses and a touch of green...

First impressions here - I'll pop back into the thread when I've got used to it, because boy, there's a lot to get used to. This is pretty fierce.

B - pretty pink juice. Opens with a blast of fruit and sweeties - there's violet in there, a very sweet (and rather synthetic) rose, vanilla...good lord, this is sweet. This is far more synthetic than A.

I'm overwhelmed by the sugaryness, so much so that it's proving very hard to isolate individual notes. There's some powder as it dries down, and some wood in the base (although given the sandalwood/cardigan incident, I am nervous about identifying woods...)

Redcurrant? No - raspberries? Something red and juicy and sweet, anyway. There's also a galbanum-type green note in the top, but it's not galbanum.

I don't like this very much at the moment. If this fragrance was an outfit it'd be fuchsia pink, frilly, sparkly and made out of polyester.

**Edit a couple of hours later**

It's dried down to a fruity, slightly musky mush. No discernible rose any more, but the vanilla's still hanging on in there. Brits who had Angel Delight (a frothy, appallingly sweet, blancmangey packet dessert which was meant to taste of strawberries but actually just tasted of pink) forced on them as kids will be transported back to their childhoods. The base is less offensive than the opening, because the sweetness has stepped back a bit. It's still hurting my teeth just smelling it, though!
    Last edited by Squeezeweasel; 11th October 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Final Impressions on Sample “A”, after discovering it.

Shocked that the cost is 600 dollars for a 60ml bottle, but I’m assuming you’re paying mostly for that sculpture type bottle, but even the refill is pricey at 255 dollars. Very straight forward scent and I didn’t see any exotic notes in there. Overall, thought it was okay.

Sample "B" (Mass Market)

- Color: Actually it’s a very faint purple, and the scent IMO follows a very purple smelling theme, wouldn’t be surprised if the bottle and packaging was purple as well, so look out for that.
    - Very oily and massive longevity and sillage, so a good guess would be an EDP.
    - Female scent for sure, no doubt about it, can’t see a guy wearing this (unless he wants to), nor do I think it’s unisex.
    - Topnotes: Extremely sweet opening, but not in a gourmand foody way, perhaps some rose essence and some fruit notes (peach).
    - Heart: The rose finally comes in but it vanishes, I also get vanilla and maybe some amber. Also has this Vicks vapor vide to it.
    - Base: Candy Sweet drydown, maybe even some sandalwood in here as well.
    - Some possible other notes (not sure): Violets, Lavender, maybe velvet note.
    - Various notes in this one (at least in the top and heart, things get a bit simple in the base), but they all seem to appear and then quickly fade away.
    - I’m actually very surprised this is a mass market scent, surprisingly very good, I would think it would be at least a designer scent, and also not as synthetic as I was expecting.
    - Has a very mainstream vibe to it, possible smelt perfumes similar to this, has this air freshener room spray smell, a tad bit, but I still like this more than Sample “A”.
    - Similar to Montales Aoud Velvet (obviously minus the aoud) or is it called Velvet Flowers (they change their names often)…and maybe like CD Hypnotic Poison or is it just Poison(the one that smells all purple sweet like).
    - Last note: not much rose in this, in the heart I believe, then it quickly fades away.
    Last edited by Niemand; 12th October 2007 at 06:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting (seems to be my favorite word!!) impressions of B, Squeeze and Niemand. Thanks for those very thorough reports. You both get some rose and sweetness - Squeeze gets lots of sweetness (I have accused her of sweetening everything!! Not terrible) and both get companion notes of either violets or other flowers, and in Squeeze's case, powder and some woods, maybe. Vanilla, maybe. Niemand is surprised it is mass market (me too!)

This scent has a simple pyramid (roses only) - it IS in the directory - and it has shown up on SotDs here in the recent past with alarming frequency. (I was getting paranoid.)

Enter Thrax!!! ???

I do not believe for a minute that whoever makes this is being straightforward with their pyramid - no way on earth is this roses only!

As I mentioned to Taolady in a pm, certain fragrances do seem to turn unbearably and almost offensively sweet on my skin (step forward, Rance's Josephine). It'd be interesting to learn just which ingredients cause this. Still; I am convinced that there is considerably more going on here than just rose. I am off to trawl the directory until I can find a candidate!

I can't believe how much Rose de Siwa (sample A) costs!

Post Thanks / Like

I do not believe for a minute that whoever makes this is being straightforward with their pyramid - no way on earth is this roses only!.....

...I was unclear - I meant roses are the only flower...no violets or lavender. There are other notes in the heart and base. Sorry for being obtuse.

Testing it out again....Not really much to add, I'll look around a bit now. Some more things to add, I get a bit of jasmine, carnation, and cinnamon...but I'm not sure again. I also get this wet plum note in the topnotes but I could just mistake it for one of the rose notes.

Does anyone know of any female mass market scents that smells like sweet purple like candy?????...someone must know!
    Last edited by Niemand; 12th October 2007 at 02:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Niemand View Post
    .....Some more things to add, I get a bit of jasmine, carnation, and cinnamon...Does anyone know of any female mass market scents that smells like sweet purple like candy?????...someone must know!

But Bingo on the cinnamon!!

Wonder if your testosterone is playing tricks on you with those "plummy" top notes....got any lady friends you could try this out on? And take another look at the color.....is that RULLY purple??

This is a very popular mass marketer with many fans here on BaseNotes.

But Bingo on the cinnamon!!

Wonder if your testosterone is playing tricks on you with those "plummy" top notes....got any lady friends you could try this out on? And take another look at the color.....is that RULLY purple??

This is a very popular mass marketer with many fans here on BaseNotes.
    My nose really isn't developed yet, so I often do mistakes with notes, Lady Friends???? I'm a bit shy about my hobby, I haven't really opened up about it with a lot of people yet.

Yes, it looks very grayish purple to me...perhaps a very light rouge instead.

Hopefully one of the females can solve this...I'm getting a bit dizzy looking around the directory.

Can this be Glow After Dark by J.Lo (Coty)??, my best guess!!!!
    Last edited by Niemand; 12th October 2007 at 02:54 AM.

Oops, posted in wrong place, sorry!!!
    Last edited by nsamadi; 12th October 2007 at 06:42 AM.

Spark? (sweet as can be and mass market..)

Thrax

Sample B:

I took most of the day on this one. I have to say that I'm in love with this one. I'm sure that you all know by now that this is definatley a sweet one. SO, having the sweet tooth that I do-I cant help but love this one. I find that it opens up and reminds me very much of Egoiste by Chanel. It retains the same warmth and sweetness that Egoiste does but is not quite as complex. If I thought back at all the scents that I've ever heard of having a rose note in it, every review that I have read, every opinion I have heard; then I would have to say that I would imagine this is what Rose d'Homme should smell like. Candied rose with some other non-descript floral notes, and some nice (barely tangible) fruits way down in the bottom. I also get some sandalwood. I love this stuff.

Longevity: Nuclear
    Sillage: Radioactive

I rate sample B: 9 skulls out of 10.

Isn't it surprising how different our impressions of this one are (even down to colour)! I don't like it today either...

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are doing wonderful job and having fun!

On me B opens up with slight hints of pepper, ginger, vanilla and cinnamon, but all the rest -- sweet and synthetic -- has been already mentioned by you! Not FBW for me either, and very reminiscent of The Healing Garden Sensual Theraphy Passion Rose romantic body mist (infused with vitamins A, C and E), but with better longevity. I would say that B is somewhat capricious in terms of its being different from one day to another.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it surprising how different our impressions of this one ....
    It sure is - and endlessly fascinating. (Don't you LUVLUVLUV Thrax's A-Bomb ratings!! Way to go, Guy!! )

B is not: Glow After Dark, (which I've never experienced but I gotta say the notes make me want to try it) Sparks (ditto the previous parenthesis) , Egoiste (which I tried 'cause I loved the adverts and all the guys raved about and it was another "meh" experience for me who was expecting more of what B delivers - for me) or Habit Rouge (a pm-ed guess from Riannon.)

There is no sandalwood note but rather another for which it can be mistaken. And our very own PurpleBird7 has written a rave about this beauty here on BN!!!

P.S. WELCOME HOME WOLFIE!! (I was waxing prolix when you posted.)

Last edited by TaoLady; 12th October 2007 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Self explanatory

Post Thanks / Like

Oooo. I love woody roses.
    You say it is mass marketed?
    And woody.
    But sweet...
    Best guess: Yves Rocher Rose Absolu, with patchouli being the wood, cinnamon, and plenty of tonka for sweetness.
    I love that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Oooo. I love woody roses.
    You say it is mass marketed?
    And woody.
    But sweet...
    Best guess: Yves Rocher Rose Absolu, with patchouli being the wood, cinnamon, and plenty of tonka for sweetness.
    I love that one.
    And another winner streaks across the Finish Line!!!

It is indeed Yves Rocher Rose Absolu or Rose Absolute - depending on which formulation or edition you happen to have. http://www.yvesrocherusa.com/control...3BBD26.yrapp03 (Guess The Bird knows her own when she smells or hears about 'em!!)

From the site: "....this sublime scent was created from two high-quality Damask roses with the most voluptuous, sensual and complex notes. Then, a warm touch of cinnamon, tonka bean and patchouli were added to create a fragrant aura of mystery, magic and absolute beauty."

Wolfie introduced me to the Rocher line with their wonderful peony and it is (in my never-humble-opinion) amazing. High quality for mere pfennigs - great service and great deals ongoing. (As breathtaking the price for Rose De Siwa - so with this - at the other end of the spectrum!)

I was so mad at myself for revealing the categories to the sniffers 'cause I know if it had been me I might have picked this for the niche scent. On me it's light and lovely - just a hint of sweetness and the patchouli is like a warm breeze.

And congrats to TDI who pm-ed the correct answer.

OK. On to C - this one may be a challenge!! (Although you guys have sure been smart about the first two. Excellent descriptions for the non-sniffers.... and some really good guesses...)

I like this one most of the three - if you'd not marked the vials, I would have put this down as the niche one.

Pale yellow juice
    Slightly harsh opening similar in character to the wintergreen opening of Tubereuse Criminelle (but whispering very softly where the TC bellows, and this stage is fleeting - seconds only)
    Rose, immortelle (sort of maple syrupy feeling, but not too sweet) - heliotrope?
    Soft and a little powdery (not overtly powdery like Ombre Rose) - where the Yves Rocher was fuschia pink, this one is a soft, warm, dusty coral pink. Not much sillage, and I'll be interested to see how long this lasts.

My guess is that this is marketed as a soliflore for women. Not green in the way Annick Goutal's Rose Absolue is, but there may be a little moss in there.

(At this point my router has packed in, so there may be a short pause...)

Happily, twenty minutes without internet has allowed this to dry down a bit. A red fruit is making itself apparent, the composition has turned rather sweeter, and the rose is still going strong. No woods or anything of that nature yet - I'll update again when it's dried down some more.
    Last edited by Squeezeweasel; 12th October 2007 at 04:57 PM.

Thrax

Oddly enough my sample "C" is identical to my sample A.

Could there have been a mistake when labeling the vials? Because I absolutley cannot smell a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Curioser and curioser!!!

Thrax - I was super careful when I did those vials and would say I am 99 and 44 one hundredths percent sure (you're too young to get the reference!) that there is no error. In larger (relatively) quantity the Rose de Siwa had a slight pinkish cast - whereas this one is definitely yellow and even though it's an EDT (hint hint) is more viscous than the Rose de Siwa. Both are - to me - definitely more toned down than the Yves Rocher. This one's been around for about ten years....getting hard to find....

Love Squeeze's color associations...I'd kinda second them.

Waiting for Niemand out there in B.C.......

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, I'm glad I got that right. The sweetness and the color tipped me off, along with the fact that you said I liked it.
    I put Yves Rocher Rose Absolu in the category of rose+patchouli scents, but by far the sweetest one around. So, Thrax, do you like other rose+patchoulis? I'm a sucker for that combination.
    Don't feel bad about revealing niche vs mass market. There are so many rose scents out there that it would have been interminable trying to guess the identity if you hadn't narrowed it down.
    I have no idea about C so far. Imortalle is a great, weird note. Yes, like maple syrup, or butterscotch. Ayala Moriel just sent me a sample of a new fragrance based on that note.
    With rose, it must be interesting.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 12th October 2007 at 07:26 PM.

Thrax

Curioser and curioser!!!

Thrax - I was super careful when I did those vials and would say I am 99 and 44 one hundredths percent sure (you're too young to get the reference!) that there is no error. In larger (relatively) quantity the Rose de Siwa had a slight pinkish cast - whereas this one is definitely yellow and even though it's an EDT (hint hint) is more viscous than the Rose de Siwa. Both are - to me - definitely more toned down than the Yves Rocher. This one's been around for about ten years....getting hard to find.....
    Well then, I will have a shower, rest my nose and then retry this vial. I will post my review later this evening!

Sample "C" (Designer Scent)

- Color: Light Yellow.
    - Dries up very quickly, I thought it was an EDT and Taolady just concluded my thoughts.
    - Women's scent, but more wearable for a man then Sample "B".
    - Absolutely no sillage at all, moderate longevity.
    - Very difficult to sniff things out because you really have to stick your nose into where you splashed it on, I can hardly pick out any notes.
    - Opening: a ton of alcohol, very heavy on the methanol...burns my nostrils.
    - Topnotes: Very Bizarre...reminds me of grey charcoal. I think there might be a licorice note, smells very much like turnips or beets.
    - Middlenotes: I get sweet roses but can't pick anything else out.
    - Basenotes: Overall smells slightly sweet + florals.
    - Again, this ones a toughie...I can see why Thrax thought it was like Sample "A"....to me it's the florals of Sample "A" with the lighter sweetness of Sample "B".
    - I don't think there might be too many notes in this one. The drydown is so simplistic but somehow so addicting to smell. I really like this one, my favorite of the bunch even thought I don't care for the opening.

My best guess: Chanel Allure EDT for Women......I found it hard to pick out notes in this one and supposedly this one has a bizarre note pyramid.
    Last edited by Niemand; 12th October 2007 at 09:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the base of C: musk or woods or moss? Something has to fix/ground the rose aroma, I thought?
    How much would you pay for 50 ml EdT if you buy it full retail?
    Does it have "French feel" to it?
    Do you get any fruit?
    How long does it last?

The year is about 1995 -- 1998, I guess.

I'm finding the base hard to define - some hours later, it's almost completely gone, but what I can smell is still mostly rose. This one's very well blended, and it's hard to pick out individual notes. If you held a gun to my head and made me pick a base, I'd say moss.

The fruit has gone now. I think I'd be looking at between £50 and £60 for 50ml. It's very attractive, it's quite 'grown up', and you get a sense of expensive ingredients (which I didn't get with the Yves Rocher, even after reading its impressive pyramid and trying again!).

Niemand - I think your liquorice might be the thing I thought was like wintergreen. It's a weird note and I'm not sure whether either of us has identified it correctly - anyone else have any ideas about what might smell wintergreen/medicinal/liquoricey for the opening few seconds?

Post Thanks / Like

Spent about half hour with Basenotes Directory, and let me tell you 1995 -- 1998 were not that abundant in roses.

Cartier So Pretty
    Versace Baby Rose Jeans

Alain Delon Iquita
    Pascal Morabito Miss Morabito

Gres Folie Douce
    Houbigant Quelques Roses
    Mariella Burani Eau Rosee
    Yardley English Rose

Faberge Princess Grace de Monaco
    Lancetti di Lancetti
    Balmain de Balmain -- *** editing Probably not it, because it is not moss with a gun to one's head! :-)
    Priscilla Presley Roses and More
    Ralph Lauren Romance

Pupa had two rose fragrances, but they are mass market, or aren't they? Fresh Bulgarian Rose came out about the same time, but Fresh is niche.

The ones I marked pink would be my most probable choices.
    Last edited by Twolf; 13th October 2007 at 12:34 AM.

I get heady florals and some vanilla in the drydown...no woods, but I don't have the best nose....I also didn't get much fruit. Lasts 6 hours...no sillage.

From the ones you put down Twolf...I think it could either be Mariella Burani Eau Rosee or
    Yardley English Rose by reading the descriptions.

But I also put a guess down for Chanel Allure EDT For Women....that's my best guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfie, you are SO GOOD to sniff out those roses introduced within the time frame I hinted at (love to know how you do that) ....but C is not the Burani, or the Yardley from the roses that are listed.... OR Chanel

Niemand how can you downplay your nose when it was you found the cinnamon in the Rocher!!

Post Thanks / Like

So, I believe it is one of the four:
    Ralph Lauren Romance (does C have cool metallic feel about it? What color roses are they?)
    Mariella Burani Eau Rosee (is C somewhat intense? Woody vanillic base?)
    Priscilla Presley Roses and More (have not smellt it)
    Yardley English Rose (castorpollux' review made me believe I need to smell this one too!)

We are on the same frequency with Taolady again! OK, so we are choosing between the two then: Romance or Priscilla Presley?
    Last edited by Twolf; 12th October 2007 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Same wave length with Tao!

Of those candidates, I thought the Yardley is the most likely from the descriptions in the directory - foiled again! It's not metallic or vanillic or woody - most curious.

I'm off to bed (very late) now - where I intend to wear some Annick Goutal Rose Absolue to ensure sweet dreams.

Thrax

Well I took my shower and got my nose all rested up. I put both sample A+C on (one on each hand) and to me they smell identical. I couldnt tell them apart. Perhaps it's just the way they wear on me....

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I might be totally mistaken, but of the two remaining candidates there seems to be no lack of RL Romance in the stores. Which leaves us with PP Roses and More. Is anyone familiar with this scent at all? I read the description on another site and they claim it to be simple, clean, summer-shintz type of scent. Can be found for under $ 20 online and never in brick-and-mortar stores. Probably it is made in Germany like the rest of Priscilla Presley scents!

(Peculiarly, Taolady sent me the names of the three samples, but I accidentally deleted the message , so I am playing like everyone else! )