Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The Obsession Calvin Klein freek that I am...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilSF View Post
    I did it! I found the "vintage" Obsession! I'm very excited!

Look for a bottle that says "COLOGNE," not "eau de toilette." That seems to be the difference.

The font on the bottle and packaging is slightly different. The words "for men" under "Obsession" are in all caps for the cologne bottle and all lower case for the current eau de toilette bottle. Of course, the bottles specify EDT or cologne.
    So the older bottles have COLOGNE written on them - is that what you are saying? If it's true it is an easy way to distinguish them, though like you say, it's hard to find them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    So the older bottles have COLOGNE written on them - is that what you are saying? If it's true it is an easy way to distinguish them, though like you say, it's hard to find them now.
    Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'm wearing it now, and it's bringing me back to 1986. (Not altogether a good thing, come to think of it.) I definitely want to compare it to what's in stores now. Will have to get one of the small .5 oz. sprays I see at Target.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Say Blue Devil .. Why no post a picture of the bottle !! and perhaps someone else can do so for a reformulated one .. then we can see the difference .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I have a bottle of the vintage OFM and a bottle of recent OFM. I just sprayed my left arm with vintage and my right arm with the other. I have to tell you guys that if there is a difference it is very subtle. OFM is such a strong juice that I find it difficult to distinguish one from the other. I will see with the dry-down if they begin to show any change.

BTW, I also have a "bottle" of the after shave balm. Yes, it used to come in a plastic version of the cologne shaped bottle instead of the tube that it now comes in. I have to say that I never really liked the balm as it was very thin and watery. I prefer more of a cream moisturizer.

Quote Originally Posted by ObsessionForMen View Post
    I have a bottle of the vintage OFM and a bottle of recent OFM. I just sprayed my left arm with vintage and my right arm with the other. I have to tell you guys that if there is a difference it is very subtle. OFM is such a strong juice that I find it difficult to distinguish one from the other. I will see with the dry-down if they begin to show any change.
    I will have to try it for myself. I always remember the original product as having a more pronounced cinnamon/spice note than the current product. I stopped wearing it about 15 years ago (the start of a dry period for me in terms of wearing any scent...long story). Last year I bought a small travel spray, and when I wore it, I felt something was missing enough to where I didn't want to wear it anymore . I hadn't realized until recently that the current product is now an EDT.

Now that I have it on, I am realizing just how "dirty" this scent is. And that's a good thing.

I never cared for the after shave balm, either. Come to think of it, I didn't like most of the product line. The scent just didn't lend itself well to the other products except for the liquid talc. The women's product line was much more interesting, I think.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Say Blue Devil .. Why no post a picture of the bottle !! and perhaps someone else can do so for a reformulated one .. then we can see the difference .
    Here you go:

The "original" bottle (minus cap and box):
    http://flickr.com/photos/16921933@N06/2262169313

The current product (with box and cap):
    http://flickr.com/photos/16921933@N06/2262169321

Notice the difference in typography I described.

I wouldn't rely on these photos for determining a difference between the color of the liquid, though.
    Last edited by BlueDevilSF; 13th February 2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I got also my Obsession edt bottle (half full) and never use it (it is in a good condition) and its 15 years old. And now is your turn :-)

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the detailed photos and desciptions Tim - I have been thinking about getting a vintage bottle of OFM for a while now (I have a new 'mini in my wardrobe) but I always thought it was too much hassle to figure out which one is which. Your info really clarifies it!
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Although I never wore it in the 80s, I did test in on a # of occasions and today's Obsession to me smells the same as the initial batches. I bought a big one a few months ago and it's great from start to finish. The drydown is ever so unclean and grainy with quite a lot of civet. It's an American masterpiece.

Obsession for Men was my first oriental fragrance. I had a big thing for it there for a while. I really liked the grooming products. The shower gel and aftershave balm smelled better than the EDT. I still have a half ounce spray bottle of Obsession. I wound up giving a friend my almost full 4 oz bottle of Obsession after I started getting into other scents. I kind of wish I'd have kept it just because the bottle is such a classic, and it's one that gets forgotten about. Actually I'd forgotten all about my Obsession phase (which was 10 years ago).

OK, I had to just go and spray some on right now. DAMN Obsession was pretty great. My mini bottle has lost some of its topnotes-- doesn't quite smell the same, but otherwise it's still good. If I'd forgotten about Obsession and I smelled it blind, I might think it was a Lutens. It almost makes me want to go get a new bottle. So deep, mysterious, incensy and even lusty.

Obsession could use a bit of a revival.

obsession never impressed me the way opium or a KL homme did...to me it smelled like old spice with more pepper and cinnamon....something very "very" similar to after shaves used at a barber saloon..what is "that" note which makes it smell like those aftershaves...

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    what is "that" note which makes it smell like those aftershaves...
    Perhaps bay leaf...

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    Did we ever say why it was changed? I may have missed the reason...

Thanks!
    Could it have anything to do with Coty taking over the Calvin Kline fragrances in 2005? Or did the "change" happen way before that?

Look for a bottle that says "COLOGNE," not "eau de toilette." That seems to be the difference.

The font on the bottle and packaging is slightly different. The words "for men" under "Obsession" are in all caps for the cologne bottle and all lower case for the current eau de toilette bottle. Of course, the bottles specify EDT or cologne.
    WOW, I think I saw a bottle of this today that had "COLOGNE" instead of "Eau de Toilette." The bottle was quite large too. I may have to go back and double-check.

When did they switch the cap to the regular spray pump instead of it built-in to the top?

I also wonder if changing the name from "COLOGNE" to "Eau de Toilette" was their means of self-justification for altering the juice?

I mean, technically speaking, if a cologne changes their formulation without any indication on the packaging, isn't that either fraud or false advertising?
    Last edited by atrac; 17th April 2008 at 05:03 AM.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Thanks, now we know how to tell which version we have. And the pics of different editions were also helpful. I am still confused as to whether the formula has changed, but I like what I have anyways.

One question, Why would they reformulate a product that was so successful in the first place? I loved it when it first came out, before that I was huffing the female version at the perfume counter...mmm. I dont get how CK can change it and call it Obsession....
    IMac

Quote Originally Posted by macwarlock View Post
    One question, Why would they reformulate a product that was so successful in the first place? I loved it when it first came out, before that I was huffing the female version at the perfume counter...mmm. I dont get how CK can change it and call it Obsession....
    IMac
    Having worn my new acquisition a few times, I'm thinking the current product is watered down/weakened more than reformulated. Maybe they're using lower quality materials these days?
    Last edited by BlueDevilSF; 18th April 2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Clarity

I decided to wear some Obsession "Eau de Toilette" this evening. I applied it and was waiting for that overwhelming nostalgia of my college days when I used to wear it.

Nothing. Not even a glimmer of what I remember. In fact, if I didn't know what I was wearing based on the bottle, I would be hard pressed to identify it blindly.

I'm trying to figure out why it's so different to my nose. I think I'm smelling too much nutmeg, as I keep thinking of Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree when I whiff it more than my beloved original Obsession Cologne.

I really need to find the Cologne of this (I was mistaken in my previous post about the bottle I saw).
    Last edited by atrac; 17th May 2008 at 08:56 AM.