Code of Conduct

Default The Obsession Calvin Klein freek that I am...

I was just recently able to get my hands on a vintage bottle of Obsession for men in perfect condition.

What a super thrill this is for me the box and bottle are in perfect condition unused. I never thought I would hold in my hands another bottle like this - which has the sprayer built into the cap just like Eternity.

I've noticed the fragrance back then was a more darker richer amber color it even came with a little booklet in box. The booklet discribes all the many body product to the line that are now long gone such as the hair care products - which included a hair spray!

Here is a snip it-

COLOGNE
    Obsession For Men fragrance at its most instense, forceful concentration. A scent that stirs women's deepest emotions. Use it all over your body after your morning shower, before you dress, and see how passionate your day can be. Obsession For Men fragrance lasts and lasts.

Love that last line lasts and lasts.....

Default Re: The Obsession Calvin Klein freek that I am...

Yes, the old juice is far, far superior to the dreck they're calling Obsession now.

One of my best friends is wanting a bottle for Christmahanusolstikah. Any ideas on how I could snag him a vintage bottle?
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 10th October 2007 at 02:39 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

scentimus - what a find. Wow! My mini of the newer Obsession is ok ever so often, but the vintage stuff (which I wore as a kid) is so friggin good smelling. Enjoy it in good health - that's quite a find you got there.

I'd forgot that there was an Obsession Hair Spray. Luv it!

I'd also love to get my dirty mitts on a vintage bottle...but until the day that happens, i'll make do with KL Homme.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

I too have a bottle of the vintage "Cologne". I think I will make it my SOTD. I also have about 10 tubes of the discontinued body lotion which is heavily perfumed. My favorite was the "Fluid Body Talc" which had a wonderful creamy quality. I have an empty bottle that I keep to smell every once in awhile.

I liked those little booklets that came with the fragrance, with fragrance descriptions and a little backstory.

Yeah the vintage juice was literally mind blowing and I'm so happy that at least I had the chance to wear it many years ago. Lucky you to have found it man!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Of all of the scents that have some sort of "place in my heart" - Obsessions probably tops this list.

When Obsession was all the rage here in the US - I was in high school in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. There was only ONE store that everyone on that base shopped at: The Navy Exchange. In my high school it was not uncommon for at least 10 kids in the same class to be wearing the same shirt any given day (after all, we all shopped at the SAME store!) Anyhow, my 11th grade year I was part of a government studies club that made a trip to Washington DC - I had $200 saved to spend on "clothes and stuff" and one of the things I bought was a bottle of CK Obsessions for Men. The impression it made once I returned to Cuba was one I will likely never forget. I wore it through most of the year and ended up selling my half used bottle for around $300usd prior to coming back to the US ("stateside" stuff like this sold at an unreal premium there: I brought back about 20 Taco Bell tacos on my trip too and sold them for $10+ a piece!)

Anyhow, reformulated or not, Obsessions will ALWAYS remind me of that trip.

I used to have the whole product line in the past - body talc etc.

When I sample Obsession now, I can't believe how much it changed and I haven't purchased it.
    Last edited by MikeFromManhattan; 15th October 2007 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember a guy in college had the Obsession shampoo and it smelled so good. That was around 1988. Might have been the original formulation.

Did the original formula ever come in a cologne splash?

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a sure-fire way to identify a bottle of the original formulation, without making a side-by-side comparison with the new stuff? (I'm not sure I can confidently judge if the juice in a particular bottle is darker than what's found in department stores these days...)
    Last edited by PaulSC; 10th October 2007 at 03:19 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Post Thanks / Like

Your one lucky guy. The Orginal reformulation was before my time. I love how the new obsession smells so I can not imagine how much better the old one smells? I must of costed you a hefty penny but I am sure it is worth it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Did the original formula ever come in a cologne splash?
    Yes Mason, it did. In fact, all fragrances from that era came in both splash and spray versions. I miss having the choice with todays frags.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Is there a sure-fire way to identify a bottle of the original formulation, without making a side-by-side comparison with the new stuff? (I'm not sure I can confidently judge if the juice in a particular bottle is darker than what's found in department stores these days...)
    I also would like to know this.

Regarding those little brochures inside the boxes: I get them in many boxes these days. Recent ones were in Basala, Visit, Eau D'Orange Verte.

Post Thanks / Like

Having not smelled the original formulation, I must say the re-formulation is quite divine. Possibly one of the most versatile and wearable orientals you will find. There's a certain kind of softness in Obsession that I can't find anywhere else. Can't understand all the bad vibes.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

The original was indeed glorious and I also remember the spray being in the cap. I remember loving that fragrance so much during that era. The juice today is not even an accurate portrayal of the majesty that used to be Obsession.

The thing about the original Obsession for Men is that at times, it could smell like it does in its current state. But there were many different stages to the scent and could smell quite different at different times. In fact old Obsession for Men could smell like Cinnabons or those Roasted Almonds they sell with Cinnamon on them. I never get that from Obsession for Men in its current state. In fact, reformulated Obsession for Men smells like Woodland by Bath and Body Works which smells like impostor Obsession for Men.
    I hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by snakesandladders View Post
    In fact old Obsession for Men could smell like Cinnabons or those Roasted Almonds they sell with Cinnamon on them.
    I agree. The cinnamon is what I liked most about the scent. The very first time I smelled Obsession, it was on a spray card; I remember not being able to resist taking a sniff off it every few moments on the way home from the store. It's the scent that truly got me started on the road I'm on today with regard to fragrances.

It makes me sad that it doesn't smell like it used to. I'd wage a campaign to get it back if I knew it could be done.

Oh, and I also loved the entire product line and the booklets that came with some of the products. They were always doing "gift with purchase" promotions, so I had quite a collection of just about everything from the deodorant sticks to the soaps to the liquid talc.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

This post is getting me interested in revisiting sampling it. I will do so this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan View Post
    This post is getting me interested in revisiting sampling it. I will do so this morning.

Fantastic fragrance mate! Some have said that the current market example is not as good as 10+ years ago..... well it's REALLY good IMHO so I would love to try the vintage if it is even better.

I would usually steer clear of anything CK but I couldnt afford to be put off by the name with this one!

Quote Originally Posted by r2s View Post
    Fantastic fragrance mate! Some have said that the current market example is not as good as 10+ years ago..... well it's REALLY good IMHO so I would love to try the vintage if it is even better.

I would usually steer clear of anything CK but I couldnt afford to be put off by the name with this one!
    Ok, I did it!

I went to Macy's and bought a gift set - 4oz EDT, 3.4oz body wash, 3.4oz after shave balm. I also bought the deodorant stick. The gift set was $58 and the deo stick was $14.

They threw in a toiletry case with Obsession for Men .5 oz EDT and 1oz body wash, and Obsession Night for Men .5 oz EDT and 1oz body wash , which I now can get to try.

I couldn't try it on yet since I'm wearing something else today (B*Men), but I sprayed it on a card. After an hour, it smells pretty much the same as I remember it, but I think not as deep. I have to wear it to see, but even if it's not exactly the same, it smells great anyway on the card.

It's been a long time, so I should enjoy wearing it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You guys are REALLY tempting me to buy a half-ouncer of this stuff (available @ Sears Grand for like $13). My friend Kat used to wear this & it smelled great on her.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan View Post
    Ok, I did it!

I went to Macy's and bought a gift set - 4oz EDT, 3.4oz body wash, 3.4oz after shave balm. I also bought the deodorant stick. The gift set was $58 and the deo stick was $14.

They threw in a toiletry case with Obsession for Men .5 oz EDT and 1oz body wash, and Obsession Night for Men .5 oz EDT and 1oz body wash , which I now can get to try.

I couldn't try it on yet since I'm wearing something else today (B*Men), but I sprayed it on a card. After an hour, it smells pretty much the same as I remember it, but I think not as deep. I have to wear it to see, but even if it's not exactly the same, it smells great anyway on the card.

It's been a long time, so I should enjoy wearing it again.
    Wise move Mike

I hope you are pleased with how it sits on you.

Everytime i sample Obsession themore i want to buy a full bottle.I can`t remember the original formulation but the available version is ok with me.

Quote Originally Posted by r2s View Post
    Wise move Mike

I hope you are pleased with how it sits on you.
    Yes. I sampled it at home last night, and while there is something different about it, I think it's great and am very happy witht the purchase!

I didn't like the Night version, however, and will put the samples on my swap list.

I did it! I found the "vintage" Obsession! I'm very excited!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Look for a bottle that says "COLOGNE," not "eau de toilette." That seems to be the difference.

The font on the bottle and packaging is slightly different. The words "for men" under "Obsession" are in all caps for the cologne bottle and all lower case for the current eau de toilette bottle. Of course, the bottles specify EDT or cologne.

I found mine on eBay, and the price didn't break the bank for me. The trade-off: the bottle was unboxed and missing the cap. Make no mistake, though, it's the real stuff. I've already sampled it on paper, and I can't wait to wear it.

Unfortunately you will have to wade through all the other eBay listings that use "eau de toilette" and "cologne" interchangeably. I just happened to find mine by accident.

I remeber the vintage bottle and the product line with the little booklets. I think at one time, I had the whole product line.

After a few wearings, I noticed a difference. But my favorite lady recognized it right away, so maybe it wasn't as different as I thought. I did end up swapping it since I just didn't enjoy wearing it like in the old days.
    Last edited by MikeFromManhattan; 12th February 2008 at 11:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Did we ever say why it was changed? I may have missed the reason...

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post

Thanks!
    I'm sure cheaper cost is a big reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilSF View Post
    I did it! I found the "vintage" Obsession! I'm very excited!

Look for a bottle that says "COLOGNE," not "eau de toilette." That seems to be the difference.

The font on the bottle and packaging is slightly different. The words "for men" under "Obsession" are in all caps for the cologne bottle and all lower case for the current eau de toilette bottle. Of course, the bottles specify EDT or cologne.
    So the older bottles have COLOGNE written on them - is that what you are saying? If it's true it is an easy way to distinguish them, though like you say, it's hard to find them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    So the older bottles have COLOGNE written on them - is that what you are saying? If it's true it is an easy way to distinguish them, though like you say, it's hard to find them now.
    Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'm wearing it now, and it's bringing me back to 1986. (Not altogether a good thing, come to think of it.) I definitely want to compare it to what's in stores now. Will have to get one of the small .5 oz. sprays I see at Target.

Post Thanks / Like

Say Blue Devil .. Why no post a picture of the bottle !! and perhaps someone else can do so for a reformulated one .. then we can see the difference .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bottle of the vintage OFM and a bottle of recent OFM. I just sprayed my left arm with vintage and my right arm with the other. I have to tell you guys that if there is a difference it is very subtle. OFM is such a strong juice that I find it difficult to distinguish one from the other. I will see with the dry-down if they begin to show any change.

BTW, I also have a "bottle" of the after shave balm. Yes, it used to come in a plastic version of the cologne shaped bottle instead of the tube that it now comes in. I have to say that I never really liked the balm as it was very thin and watery. I prefer more of a cream moisturizer.

Quote Originally Posted by ObsessionForMen View Post
    I have a bottle of the vintage OFM and a bottle of recent OFM. I just sprayed my left arm with vintage and my right arm with the other. I have to tell you guys that if there is a difference it is very subtle. OFM is such a strong juice that I find it difficult to distinguish one from the other. I will see with the dry-down if they begin to show any change.
    I will have to try it for myself. I always remember the original product as having a more pronounced cinnamon/spice note than the current product. I stopped wearing it about 15 years ago (the start of a dry period for me in terms of wearing any scent...long story). Last year I bought a small travel spray, and when I wore it, I felt something was missing enough to where I didn't want to wear it anymore . I hadn't realized until recently that the current product is now an EDT.

Now that I have it on, I am realizing just how "dirty" this scent is. And that's a good thing.

I never cared for the after shave balm, either. Come to think of it, I didn't like most of the product line. The scent just didn't lend itself well to the other products except for the liquid talc. The women's product line was much more interesting, I think.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Say Blue Devil .. Why no post a picture of the bottle !! and perhaps someone else can do so for a reformulated one .. then we can see the difference .
    Here you go:

The "original" bottle (minus cap and box):
    http://flickr.com/photos/16921933@N06/2262169313

The current product (with box and cap):
    http://flickr.com/photos/16921933@N06/2262169321

Notice the difference in typography I described.

I wouldn't rely on these photos for determining a difference between the color of the liquid, though.
    Last edited by BlueDevilSF; 13th February 2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

I got also my Obsession edt bottle (half full) and never use it (it is in a good condition) and it´s 15 years old. And now is your turn :-)

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the detailed photos and desciptions Tim - I have been thinking about getting a vintage bottle of OFM for a while now (I have a new 'mini in my wardrobe) but I always thought it was too much hassle to figure out which one is which. Your info really clarifies it!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Although I never wore it in the 80s, I did test in on a # of occasions and today's Obsession to me smells the same as the initial batches. I bought a big one a few months ago and it's great from start to finish. The drydown is ever so unclean and grainy with quite a lot of civet. It's an American masterpiece.

Obsession for Men was my first oriental fragrance. I had a big thing for it there for a while. I really liked the grooming products. The shower gel and aftershave balm smelled better than the EDT. I still have a half ounce spray bottle of Obsession. I wound up giving a friend my almost full 4 oz bottle of Obsession after I started getting into other scents. I kind of wish I'd have kept it just because the bottle is such a classic, and it's one that gets forgotten about. Actually I'd forgotten all about my Obsession phase (which was 10 years ago).

OK, I had to just go and spray some on right now. DAMN Obsession was pretty great. My mini bottle has lost some of its topnotes-- doesn't quite smell the same, but otherwise it's still good. If I'd forgotten about Obsession and I smelled it blind, I might think it was a Lutens. It almost makes me want to go get a new bottle. So deep, mysterious, incensy and even lusty.

Obsession could use a bit of a revival.

Post Thanks / Like

obsession never impressed me the way opium or a KL homme did...to me it smelled like old spice with more pepper and cinnamon....something very "very" similar to after shaves used at a barber saloon..what is "that" note which makes it smell like those aftershaves...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    what is "that" note which makes it smell like those aftershaves...
    Perhaps bay leaf...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post

Thanks!
    Could it have anything to do with Coty taking over the Calvin Kline fragrances in 2005? Or did the "change" happen way before that?

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, I think I saw a bottle of this today that had "COLOGNE" instead of "Eau de Toilette." The bottle was quite large too. I may have to go back and double-check.

When did they switch the cap to the regular spray pump instead of it built-in to the top?

I also wonder if changing the name from "COLOGNE" to "Eau de Toilette" was their means of self-justification for altering the juice?

I mean, technically speaking, if a cologne changes their formulation without any indication on the packaging, isn't that either fraud or false advertising?
    Last edited by atrac; 17th April 2008 at 05:03 AM.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Thanks, now we know how to tell which version we have. And the pics of different editions were also helpful. I am still confused as to whether the formula has changed, but I like what I have anyways.

One question, Why would they reformulate a product that was so successful in the first place? I loved it when it first came out, before that I was huffing the female version at the perfume counter...mmm. I dont get how CK can change it and call it Obsession....
    IMac

Quote Originally Posted by macwarlock View Post
    One question, Why would they reformulate a product that was so successful in the first place? I loved it when it first came out, before that I was huffing the female version at the perfume counter...mmm. I dont get how CK can change it and call it Obsession....
    IMac
    Having worn my new acquisition a few times, I'm thinking the current product is watered down/weakened more than reformulated. Maybe they're using lower quality materials these days?
    Last edited by BlueDevilSF; 18th April 2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Clarity

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to wear some Obsession "Eau de Toilette" this evening. I applied it and was waiting for that overwhelming nostalgia of my college days when I used to wear it.

Nothing. Not even a glimmer of what I remember. In fact, if I didn't know what I was wearing based on the bottle, I would be hard pressed to identify it blindly.

I'm trying to figure out why it's so different to my nose. I think I'm smelling too much nutmeg, as I keep thinking of Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree when I whiff it more than my beloved original Obsession Cologne.

I really need to find the Cologne of this (I was mistaken in my previous post about the bottle I saw).
    Last edited by atrac; 17th May 2008 at 08:56 AM.