Code of Conduct

Default Carthusia - any advice?

My wife will be travelling to the Ukraine next week and Im sourcing some stores in Kiev for her to have a look in (please let me know if you know of any great perfume outlets or boutiques in Kiev!).

I ran across one link with a store that sells Carthusia fragrances.
    Ive visited their site http://www.carthusia.it and see some exceptional scents that appear to combine many of the notes I enjoy.

Im a sucker for Geranium, Lavendar, Clove, Citrus in any form, amber, hibiscus and so on. If you are familiar with some of Carthusia's lines, and have a second to take a peek at my wardrobe - perhaps someone can make a "blind buy" suggestion on behalf of my wife as a gift for myself?

Thanks in advance for anyone who may be able to take the time to help!
    D.
    --------------------------------------
    Puh-leeeeease? *flutters eyelashes seductively*
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 10th October 2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Carthusia - any advice?

I would recommend Numero Uno.

My boyfriend bought it for me as a gift from Aedes (I'd never smelled it before) and I found it to be a very masculine, herbal, musky fougere-ish scent. Sillage and longevity is above average. Lots of moss. Beautiful and heavy cut glass bottle (reminds me of an armagnac bottle). Some note in the middle notes reminds me of Mitsuoko (minus the peach) but Numero Uno has its own identity. It makes me feel very 'dressed up' when I wear it, kind of like Narciso Rodriguez for Men does, without the 1980's powerhouse vibe. As I said before, masculine without the posturing.

Carthusia is a line I know very little about - but each time I encounter their fragrances I think they exude luxury, quality and class.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I would recommend Numero Uno. Lots of moss. Some note in the middle notes reminds me of Mitsuoko (minus the peach) but Numero Uno has its own identity.
    Numero Uno really is number one. So, I'll second Numero Uno. Technically it is a classic Chypre. Classic, but with a light touch. It is the scent of a sophisticated gent. I plan on getting a bottle from Aedes - maybe it will give me some class.

Thanks chaps for taking a look at my wardrobe and suggesting this.
    I am interested in trying more of their scents, but I emailed them re: purchasing samples online, and they said Carthusia dont produce samples.
    Oh well, looks like my first ever blind buy is on the cards!

Hi Dimitri,

I have a large collection. I love many of my scents. I can divide my bottles into three categories related to whether or not I'll replace them when they are empty: YES, MAYBE, and NO.

I don't have too many YES's. Carthusia Uomo is a screaming YES. As I look at your collection I notice that you and I don't have many common scents, so it's impossible for me to know if you'd like what I like. But for what it's worth, Uomo is outstanding. Just my opinion.

Good luck & best regards...

Mike

Uomo and Numero Uno are very, very nice. Carthusia is very distinctively Italian... if you've tried fragrances from other Italian perfume houses then you'll know what I mean when you smell them.

I tried Ligea La Sirena today. I liked it at first, but it really lacks development. It's an opoponax bomb, sweet and powdery.

Ditto the Numero Uno. It has the citrus and warmth together that I think you desire. It is an EdP and has excellent tenacity. You may find Uomo a bit thin--it does have a place for me though. Carthusia is very natural and very Italian. It's Caprese nature comes through in all their frags.

AAARRRRUUUUUUGH!

My toes are curling with excitement here... I have found something close to my perfect "all-rounder" in Carthusia Uomo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have sprayed with a sample enclosed with my order from Aus Liebe Zum Duft, and I am STUNNED! *cartwheels*

It has the opening facade of a "traditional" men's scent but its depth and complexity are just SUPERB! There is profound complexity here, and yet the result is surprisingly uncomplicated! LOOOVES it!

THANKS for the advice above, chaps! I will HAVE to get this, and try more from the Carthusia portfolio (Numero Uno et al)...

*inhales self deeply*

+1. Uomo and Numero Uno are indeed two different animals. Uomo has a strong initial raspberry blast. To my vey untrained nose, linear and similar to He Wood from D Squared. Numero Uno is more subtle, more of a bergamote scent, very much like Noir Epices from FM. Both have excellent longevity. Enjoy.

I cant get the raspberry (not with this, my first introduction to the scent), but it does have an amazing rosewood note, and a softness akin to lavender or something. I freakin' adore this baby!

I recently got Numero 1 from my wife ,(birthday present) and I love it. I think it's a chypre (forgive me if I'm wrong) in the same style as Carons 3th man, with an Italian touch.

I really want to try the Uomo now.

On a side note, I bought this in the Annick Goutal Shop (or Lianne Tio Parfums) in Rotterdam. I went there for the first time, although I have ordered a few times from there.

Lianne Tio radiates her passion for fragance all over and she's a very nice lady to deal with.

It's was unbelievable, she looked at my wife (who's not into fragrance like I am) and she imediately knew what my wife liked and didn't like. Amazing and what a good experience it was.

Dependent

Aedes prepares samples. more here;
    http://www.aedes.com/samples.php

The Perfumed Court has decants. I know, luxe pricing but great service. right?

and The Perfume Shoppe prepares samples
    http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/scri...?idProduct=390
    and I'm sure there are more ways of sampling Carthusia.
    I never met an Italian fragrance I didn't like.
    --------------------------------------
    from

http://indieperfumes.blogspot.com/20...camerelle.html

I love the story of Carthusia, that the monks created their perfume from the natural materials of the bloom heavy island of Capri, beginning in the middle ages about 1380.
    The initial scent was created when they noticed that the water holding the flowers picked for a visit from a Queen held their fragrance, and the local alchemist helped make up a recipe to match the scent.
    Capri has always been famous for its natural environmental fragrances, the abundant crops of roses the emperors used for their hedonistic parties practically smothered the guests. There is a legend that one fellow did end up dying that way, smothered by rose petals; what a way to go...This small perfume works was one of the initial motivations for my interest in perfumes of this kind, that is perfume made by hand by individuals, rather than by large conglomerates using arcane chemicals. Since that time I have obviously been seduced by the great perfumes which use man made chemistry, but my first and greatest love will always be those made with the extracts of nature. The EDT Via Camerelle is very very light, but it has remarkable staying power for all that. It conveys a citrus tone with bergamot, Sicilian lemon and bitter orange blending into marjoram, water lily and jasmine, with basenotes of musk, amber and marine accords. Its sheer quality is held together with an underpinning of cedarwood, which seems to ground it and probably is the element that gives its delicacy some power. It's a good one for use at the workplace, or for weekend wear, as a refined light unisex fragrance. I notice that if there are strong smells in the environment (I'm thinking of the train station, with it's tone of bleach and soot) you may not be able to smell it on yourself, but on getting into a quieter olfactory environment, the scent is still there, noticeably surrounding the body near the areas of application, and quietly aiding your enjoyment of the day. It holds close to the body, which is a good thing for a workplace or certain other environments. The Via Camerelle is an elegant shopping street in Capri, and in tone this EDT matches that idea of sophistication while on a mental vacation attitude. The above photo is from their site and shows their shop entrance on that street.
    The Carthusians are held to be the "highest" order of monks, meaning the strictest, basically hermetic and silent except for prayers together and twice a week at meals, following rules established in 1084. There was a recent documentary "Into Great Silence" which got very intriguing reviews, to be released soon on DVD. Their medieval perfume recipes were rediscovered in the 1940s, and the pope gave permission to have a small laboratory produce the fragrances so the monastery could share in the income and be self supporting.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 22nd November 2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    AAARRRRUUUUUUGH!

My toes are curling with excitement here... I have found something close to my perfect "all-rounder" in Carthusia Uomo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have sprayed with a sample enclosed with my order from Aus Liebe Zum Duft, and I am STUNNED! *cartwheels*

It has the opening facade of a "traditional" men's scent but its depth and complexity are just SUPERB! There is profound complexity here, and yet the result is surprisingly uncomplicated! LOOOVES it!

THANKS for the advice above, chaps! I will HAVE to get this, and try more from the Carthusia portfolio (Numero Uno et al)...

*inhales self deeply*
    Hi Dimitri,
    I'm considering a blind purchase on this too - can you compare Uomo to anything else you tried before? I can't afford both Uomo and Numero Uno... but I'm intrigued by this line!
    Thanks!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    Hi Dimitri,
    I'm considering a blind purchase on this too - can you compare Uomo to anything else you tried before? I can't afford both Uomo and Numero Uno... but I'm intrigued by this line!
    Thanks!
    Hi Schachman,

I can give this a shot for you, but first, here's how Carthusia describe this scent as taken from their website:
    Dedicated to a fascinating and refined man, Carthusia Uomo is a classic fresh scent, made from citrus notes blended with wild rosewood in an irresistible woody- marine harmony. A light, timeless men's fragrance.

Ive worn this scent now two times.

My first impressions upon spraying is that it opens with a distinct Marine-like quality. In fact the first milli-second my heart sank as I felt as if I had smelled this scent before... in fragrances such as "Nautica", or (dare I mention it) "Blue Stratos" etc.
    But this dismay is merely fleeting!
    Moments later it was as if the single marine accord blossomed into flower and each and every separate component could be identified and accounted for. Its a little tricky for me to describe actually. Perhaps if you imagine a 'standard' masculine (ozonic/oceanc) Marine scent, and then try and recreate it in your mind using ten-thousand flowers. Albeit overtly "male" in nature, the complex and varied accords are delicate and soft - almost like building bricks, each in part holding its own, and amounting to a refined and elegant finished whole.
    There are strong contrasts at play here. Where one cant deny the marine-like quality, it shimmers with citruses and lavender/violet-like velvetiness. Rosewood is indeed a prominent accord, but again, the sensation is as though your mind is being tricked into believing its smelling something it isn't!
    Last night I enjoyed its charm and subtle characteristics, but today (probably as i have been more active) I detect a light musk or animalic accord emerging that is not the least bit unpleasant. This scent is unique and has an allure that constantly keeps me bringing my hand to my nose.
    I cant speak of sillage as I feel it stays close to the skin. But OH what a radiant penetrative cloak it wraps you in! I have been won over!
    This is a scent with refined elegance and understated presence. I could quite easily brush 90% of my colognes aside and vow never to wear any of them again if I could just have this. I can't get enough!

I would be interested if others with this fragrance could contribute their in depth impressions and speak of its nature, as they see it.

Now, how am I going to manage ordering a bottle online without telling the Mrs!?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Hi Schachman,

I would be interested if others with this fragrance could contribute their in depth impressions and speak of its nature, as they see it.

Now, how am I going to manage ordering a bottle online without telling the Mrs!?
    After your "mini-review" I decided to get a bottle. I don't usually do blind-buys at this level of $'s but with the beautyhabit discount of 25%, I decided to take the dive. This seems like a fragrance that I have been looking for - I will send you my impressions shortly!!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Cikey!
    *knees shaking*
    Well, Im happy I've managed to encourage you to make this purchase through my mini-review, but also terrified you will not like it!
    Ah well, if thats the case, I put my hands up to possibly buy the bottle from you afterwards

Believe it or not, every time I wear Uomo.........I mean EVERY TIME, I get complements. Strangers, male and female, stop me and ask what fragrance I’m wearing. People at work follow me around. No joke, every time! It also has great longevity, 12+ hours.

gianni
    Last edited by gianni; 26th November 2007 at 04:32 AM.

I finally bought a 100ml bottle of Uomo on my latest trip abroad. I do like this scent enormously!
    Also, encouraged by some of the other reviews here, i decided to purchase a 50ml bottle of Numero Uno as well. Like a good friend, I am taking my time to get to know this one. To me it smells like a fragrant hilltop in summer in Capri where the sun beats overhead and your chest is slicked with a light sweat. there is also a gentl soapiness which likens it to traditional barbershop scents. I think I will love this even more as the climate and weather evolves...

Dimi
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 9th January 2008 at 10:31 AM.

Default Carthusia Uomo

Wow, much high praise emanating for this fragrance, Carthusia Uomo. I bought a bottle about a year ago after an exhaustive search to find a new signature scent so, obviously, something struck the right chord at the time. Over time, however, I did indeed find it to be 'thin' (as one other reviewer has described) with minimal sillage (probably the first scent to never elicit one comment, bad or good - not one) and moderate longevity. At first these attributes appealed to me, you know - "less is more" and all that. But as the bottle slowly emptied, I found myself applying more and more each day. On one level I think I was impatient to move on. Perhaps, more deeply, it was a cry for help; that subconsciously I was saying, "Will you BE something, dammit!"

Carthusia products are expensive, I bought mine at a heavily discounted price which makes me suspect it was old stock and may explain its lack of (my perceived) "ooomph".
    An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, something isolated, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory - this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me it was me. (M. Proust - Remembrance of Things Past)

Now I am the one liking to explore this house.....hmmm?? Corallium? 1681? #1? Uomo???? Can't decide...

1681 is pretty nice but It lacks of character and depth , at least on my skin
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I like Uomo and 1681 very much but they are both on the weak side. Numero Uno is more strident but it has too much of an 80s herbal vibe for my taste. All highly sample-worthy though. Corallium I found too literally marine. It reminded me of seaweed.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Now I am the one liking to explore this house.....hmmm?? Corallium? 1681? #1? Uomo???? Can't decide...
    Carthusia is one of the better-represented houses in my collection, Volley. As a poster above mentioned, I too feel their fragrances exude class (without completely draining your checking account). Mediterraneo is one of my favorite summer-time fragrances, a bright lemon that I personally prefer over Balmain. Io Capri (EDP) is quite distinctive IMO, and definitely worthy of a sampling. And I know BN member alfarom is a fan of 1681, as am I. Hopefully he'll weigh in on this thread, for he's much better at describing this release than I.

About the only Carthusia I haven't enjoyed is Aria di Capri. Waaay too floral for this guy.

And thank you for bumping this thread. I've kinda been racking my brain as to what to put on my Christmas list, and Uomo fits the bill nicely!
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Uomo FTW!

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlďck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

I have tried Numero Umno and Uomo and was thrilled, since I am a big fan of old-school, conservative, slightly barbershop-feel EDC, I can only recommend this to the fans of this genre

UOMO. UOMO. UOMO. Now say that three times fast