Code of Conduct

Question Experiences with Pure Parfum Formulations?

I am having a revelatory experience with my Chanel no 5 parfum, folks. Suddenly the fragrance that for years, to me, was offputting and stuffy, has become warm, soft and sensual.
    It makes me wonder what else I may be missing with my other fragrance loves.

Of my wardrobe, I have the following in the pure parfum or extrait formulation:

Chanel no 5
    Caron Aimez Moi
    Ava Luxe Madame X
    Caron Tabac Blond
    Caron En Avion
    Ava Luxe Love's True Bluish Light
    Ava Luxe Rasa
    Jalaine Patchouli
    VIntage Mitsouko

most others are edps and a few edts
    the Creeds are Millesime, which I don't really understand WHAT that is to tell you the truth! I just know they are rich and satisfying.

Anyhoo, I wondered if folks have thoughts to share on their experiences with pure parfum versions of your favorites fragrances. I can just imagine classics like Joy - WOW , or
    Opium I'd bet they would be amazing!
    Last edited by rtamara41; 27th October 2007 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Left out the Jalaine! Realized that my ebay bottle is the parfum version!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Experiences with Pure Parfum Formulations?

That's funny because I was just going through a bag of my samples and found the Chanel 5. I haven't smelled it in years and forgot what it smelled like. I sprayed it on and I really like it. I use to wear it a long time ago. Wonder why I stopped?

Unfortunately my purse doesn't open that wide. I have yet to buy a pure perfume. That is a goal of mine though. I just can't make up my mind about which one I want though. There are so many that I want in the purest form.

Oh man, you have Aimez Moi in pure perfume. That is the 1st perfume I fell in love with. It was actually the 1st perfume I discovered the relationship between different scents and your own body chemistry. Up until that point I would just buy whatever. That was the 1st scent that smelled absolutely amazing on me. Whenever I wore it I got stopped.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I have extrait versions of:

Jicky
    Apres L'Ondee
    L'Heure Bleue
    Mitsouko
    Vol de Nuit
    Shalimar
    Chamade
    Parure

Mostly they are 'just' more intense versions of the more well known EdT versions (metaphor: EdT is for me like a painting watched in a room with not so much light, extrait is the same painting bathed in intense and sharp light - sometimes so much that your eyes hurt), but I'd like to add this:

Apres L'Ondee: extrait is more intense and bright and doesn't give the 'cold' effect of the EdT. I like this 'cold', watery feeling of the EdT.

L'Heure Bleue: EdT is round and gentle, extrait is intensely, almost violently complex-flowery.

Shalimar: new extrait has much more top bergamot that older extrait, but dries down to about the same.

Chamade: EdT is soft and hay-ish, extrait is violent like L'Heure Bleue.

Post Thanks / Like

I have these in parfum:

1. Mitsouko
    2. Parure
    3. Bal a Versaille
    4. No. 19

I will do almost anything to get the parfum version of something I want if its available...I know there's isn't always a huge difference, but you rarely hear anyone say that don't like the extrait (except perhaps for Jicky...everyone seems to love the EDT).

I covet ^^ your bottle of Apres L'Ondee.
    Last edited by Dane; 10th October 2007 at 01:43 PM.

I have extraits of:

Hanae Mori Butterfly-it's softer sillage-wise compared to my EDP

No.5- to me has a creamier base than edt or edp

No.19- the leather is outstanding in extrait

Vol De Nuit- smells quite similar to edt, the notes are just a tad stronger

Shalimar- smoother, more vanillic than the edt

Mitsouko- very rich & long lasting in parfum. It doesn't have any of the harshness I smell in the edt.

L'Heure Bleue- the incense is much more pronounced & the base is a bit sweeter (more vanillic).

Champs Elysees-very pretty, the edt can be a little "too happy" but the extrait has perfect balance. Soft sillage.

Montaigne- very, very close to the edt but the base is richer.

Farnesiana- some think the edp is very different, I don't! As typical with extrait vs. edp the base is richer in pure parfum.

En Avion-never smelled anything but parfum version

Pois de Senteur- never smelled anything but parfum version

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Whenever possible, I prefer to get a scent in parfum/extrait form: it tends to be more intense but also softer and closer to the skin than EdT.

Here's what I have:
    Caron N'Aimez Que Moi, Narcisse Noir, Nuit de Noël, Poivre, Tabac Blond
    Cartier Must
    Chanel Bois des Îles, Coco
    Guerlain L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Shalimar, Vol de Nuit
    Ormonde Jayne Ormonde
    Yohji Yamamoto Yohji
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

ah, these posts are making me drool! It feels rather voyeuristic in a luxurious way to read and think about these pure versions of these beautiful scents.

Chanel no 19 - pure parfum - leather- ai!!
    I'd love to smell the pure perfume of Mitsouko. I have a vintage bottle which is more intense than any other samples I have experienced of the modern edp or edt, but I tend to think it is an edp version.

I just got this in an email from Aedes , a description of Lalique Le Parfum:

Lalique's classic creation Le Parfum is an elegant, yet modern oriental fragrance blended with the finest materials. After opening notes of bergamot, bay leaves and red pepper comes the seduction of a carnal heart with jasmine, heliotrope and tender almond accents. Patchouli is tenderly calmed by sweet vanilla leaving an enveloping trail with enchanting powers.

I am in a paring down mode regarding my wardrobe. I think my long term vision may be to have pure perfume versions of at least my very favorite staples.
    I agree with Tigrushka's observation that the parfum version is more intense but closer to the skin. I like that. Makes it more of an intimate experience in a way.

Diva girl: Aimez Moi is such a special fragrance - I love it too!
    Last edited by rtamara41; 10th October 2007 at 04:43 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I love the parfum form and try to get it whenever I can. My preference is to have a strong skin scent (yes that's an oxymoron!), but without much sillage.

I have the following which I absolutely adore in parfum, over the EDT or EDP formulations:
    - Shalimar (new and vintage)
    - Vol de Nuit
    - Mitsouko
    - L'heure Bleue (love it!)
    - Apres L'Ondee
    - Tabac Blond
    - En Avion
    - Narcisse Noir (love it!)
    - Narcisse Blanc (love it too!)
    - Lanvin Scandal (really love this one!)
    - Chanel Cuir de Russie
    - Chanel Bois des Iles
    - Chanel Allure Sensuelle
    - Chanel No 22
    - Bal a Versailles (I prefer the new over the vintage on this one!)
    - Madame X (love it!)
    - AL Film Noir

They are much more luxurious (as you say)!
    Last edited by dimples; 10th October 2007 at 08:53 PM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see...

Mitsouko (well, I just finished it...I guess there is a drop left. I'll be replacing it soon).
    Angel (in the extrait. This is fabulous. The EDP smells like cats' wee by comparison).

Then all my Avas....
    Madame X (10ml)
    Rasa (10ml)
    Cafe Noir (5ml)
    Forbidden Fruits (5ml)
    Love's True Bluish Light (5ml) (I actually bought this in the EDP but Serena threw in a 5ml parfum as a freebie - sweet of her!)

Also got Sin and Madeline parfums on order.

On my want list is Caron Narcisse Noir.
    However, I tried Tabac Blond. It is lovely in the parfum but the EDP has more of the tobacco going on...the parfum is warm and leathery. They are both nice, but I wanted it for the tobacco so got the EDP.

Renee...Millesime is Creed's version of the EDP.
    Last edited by Indiscreet; 11th October 2007 at 06:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Chanel Gardenia Parfum. Wish I had a larger size, it's so beautiful, I don't want to use it up. For some reason, I have to have Chanel No 5 in EDT, I wore it for years and that's just the way I like it. I have it in EDP form, too, it was a gift in a mini set.
    Last edited by beachroses; 12th October 2007 at 04:56 AM.

Sampling Shalimar parfum...I am determined to understand this legend.
    The initial vomit note persists for me, but then quickly dissipates, and I keep sniffing my arm and thinking that I am some sort of puffy vanilla based light as air dessert. I can see the appeal of this. Imagine me, white creamy shoulders bared in a strapless gown, wafts of Shalimar at my bare throat, waiting for my partner to take a bite .... just like a fluffy pastry.
    (of course, my white creamy shoulders are of the asian variety...more olive than white...just a technicality)

Its so powdery, sweet and smooth. Vanilla heaven.
    Why does that top note have to be so darn hard to get past, at least for me?
    Does anyone know where this comes from?

I have quite a scatty collection of parfums ranging from new AL Madame X to very vintage
    Lanvins (Arpege, My Sin, Pretext, Scandal, Rumeur) and lots of others in between. Overall I can't say that I see a huge difference between the parfums and some of the lesser concentrations. Bellodgia is strong in any form, Ivoire is as bright in the parfum as it is in the EDT. Some of the few that are truly different are Chanel No.5, Chamade, and Femme.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Poison (Esprit de Parfum) is unbelievably stronger than the EdT of Poison by Dior. White Linen parfum by Estee Lauder is much more floral and less 'crisper' than the EdT.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac