Code of Conduct

Default Montale - Ambre Aoud vs Aoud Rose Petals

Just wondering.... has anyone ever compared Montale's Ambre Aoud vs Aoud Rose Petals? I believe Ambre Aoud has been likened with rose petals (please correct me if I'm wrong) - I already own the Ambre Aoud and would like to know if it'd be necessary to seek out the Aoud Rose Petals. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Montale - Ambre Aoud vs Aoud Rose Petals

Personally, the only similarity I see between the two is the Aoud. The Aoud Rose Petals is very similar to the other rose+ouds in the line to me, like Black Aoud, Aoud Queen Roses, etc. I would definitely recommend giving it a try if you like their other oud+rose scents. Drop the Paris store an email.. they'll send you some samples for free.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Thanks for the info! By the way, have you tried Aoud Blossom before? If so I'd love to hear your take on it and how it compares with these two

I agree that Rose Petals is much more like Black Aoud than Aoud Ambre.
    The magic of Rose Petals for me is in the woody goodness (cedar? teak?) it wraps around the oud and rose.

For me, Aoud Ambre isn't floral at all. It is all incense and hot spices (it's supposed to contain about 50 ingredients...I think). This is one sexy fragrance. I should have bought a bottle during the sale but then again...I bought enough to last for years.

Roses Petals is a glorious rose and oud and ambergris accord that doesn't change much during its long life (lasts about 12 hours) but who cares? It smells like rose soap and fresh mountain air and the medicinal oud note doesn't hit you over the head (not that too much oud is ever a problem for me!). I have worn Roses Petals to a party and got compliments but it is definitely rosy and here is the catch, it stays very rosy. Not just any guy would want to get away with this.

Hope that helps.

I don't understand the praise for Rose Petals. I bought this blind and I am just overwhelmed by what I call the "acrid" rose. Its sharp, almost burnt. It totally distracts me and I feel it ruins the whole package.

I also received Oud Ambre and I find no similarities to Rose Petals, other than the observation noted above that they both have aoud. So far, I'm not appreciating this one either! But its far from horrible, just not very versatile.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Thank you all for the interesting perpectives and helpful advice!