Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Name one fragrance by your favorite nose [perfumer] that you dislike

Mine is Caleche Fleurs de Mediteranee by Hermes and perfumer Jean Claude Ellena.

I think JC Ellena is my go-to nose, so when I heard that Neiman Marcus was reissuing the discontinued CFdM for their 100 year anniversary and that it was done by Mr. Ellena I jumped at the prospect. I almost bought this blind - when I was at Neiman's and they had a tester I had no more arm space because I had just saturated myself with the new Prada iris scent. My boyfriend sniffed it and loved it. He urged me to buy the bottle but I told him I'd wait.

I bought a decant instead (The Perfumed Court) and tore into it as soon as it arrived. I gave it a couple of quick sprays and felt kind of 'meh' about it. The next day I gave it a full wearing to the office. The top notes are unique I must say - the way he's woven the mimosa to the fruit notes is a little 'fruit cocktail' inspired. A light syrupy floral note, would be a good description. But it's the drydown basenotes that are ultimately off putting to my nose. And then I realized...its the smell of Caleche. Which I don't really like. Caleche was always IMO, Hermes take on Chanel No. 5. Aldehydes and all. And the hairspray note shows up (I get this in Cuir de Russie by Chanel too). Ick. It kept alternating from this quite deep fruit flower scent, back to the sharp aldehyde notes of the basenotes. I felt a little dizzy. I spent the better part of the afternoon trying to convince myself that I might like this, and then realized I was being ridiculous. I didn't like it. I gave my decant to my boyfriend and he loves it.

So, which fragrance from your favorite nose sends you scrubbing?

Default Re: Name one fragrance by your favorite nose [perfumer] that you dislike

Its funny, as soon as I read the title of this thread, I thought of Ellena as well....my "hate" of his creations is L'Eau D'Hiver. Up until that one, I loved pretty much every single thing that man has done...but his one I don't understand. I won't blame him, because its just the notes themselves that put me off...and the similarities (I think) between this and Cologne Blanche were striking (another hate of mine).

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Name one fragrance by your favorite nose [perfumer] that you dislike

Gee, among living noses, Olivia Giacobetti is probably my favorite, and I can't remember smelling anything of hers I truly disliked. Granted, I haven't tried all of her scents...

Lonestar Memories by Andy Tauer....YUK!!! Whereas, his L'Aid du Desert Marocain is one of my top 5.

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Lorenzo Villoresi is my favorite, but Dilmun just doesn't do it for me.

Lutens/Sheldrake's Un Cèdre: The worst of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Lutens/Sheldrake's Un Cèdre: The worst of the lot.
    Really? Worse than Miel du Bois? Blech!

Rumeur (new) by Lanvin/Francis Kurkdjian: Never mind that this is a women's scent... put that aside for a while. This juice smells cheap no matter how you slice it... it belongs on the shelves of Dollar General, not Saks Fifth Avenue.

What was this genius perfumer who created Le Male, Gaultier², Fleur du Male, Narciso Rodriguez For Her (with Christine Nagel), and (my current favorite!) Narciso Rodriguez For Him smelling when he created this craptastic perfume? And what was Lanvin/Inter Parfums thinking when they decided to slap such a priceless, historic name on such a lousy juice?
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Mandarin Mandarine by Serge Lutens
    Carnal Flower and Eau d 'Hiver by F. Malle
    Champs-Elysees by Guerlain
    Eau de Reglisse by Caron (what were they thinking? they 're l 'Artisan Parfumeur?LOL)
    Enjoy by Patou
    Last edited by Débauches Olfactives; 11th October 2007 at 01:23 AM.

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens, hands down.
    Complex? Yes. Masterfully blended? Perhaps. Suitable on my skin? Oh, not only no, but HELL no.
    I'd sooner wear Arabie.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 11th October 2007 at 01:14 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Débauches Olfactives View Post
    Mandarin Mandarine by Serge Lutens
    Carnal Flower and Eau d 'Hiver by F. Malle
    Champs-Elysees by Guerlain
    Eau de Reglisse by Caron (what were they thinking? they 're l 'Artisan Parfumeur?LOL)
    Enjoy by Patou
    LOL! Some of these are among my favorites!

I love Jean Claude Ellena's vision and compositions SO MUCH but I don't like Declaration at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Really? Worse than Miel du Bois? Blech!
    I like Miel de Bois - I don't know if I could pull off wearing it though. It would make a terrific candle.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 11th October 2007 at 01:47 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I'm going to add another one:

Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie done by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour.

This was a vinegar-y mess on me - I thought my bottle had turned but then another Basenoter had the same experience. I love many of Duchaufour's scents (Avignon, Sequoia, the Cdg Sherberts, Mechant Loup....) and BdO was really disappointing.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th October 2007 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

This was a vinegar-y mess on me - I thought my bottle had turned but then another Basenoter had the same experience. I love many of Duchaufour's scents (Avignon, Sequoia, the Cdg Sherberts, Mechant Loup....) and BdO was really disappointing.
    Wanna sell or swap it, Mikie? Me likie that vinegar-y mess!

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Wanna sell or swap it, Mikie? Me likie that vinegar-y mess!
    Hey - you're not allowed to buy anymore bottles! I'm telling!!!

Actually, I don't own a bottle, I just sampled it from a tester vial. One full wearing was enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

This ones a bit weird and I understand the "vinegary-ness" comment. I am not a big fan of Timbuktu, Dzongkha, etc. (fragrances which share similarities with BdO), but if you like those, then BdO should be a must try.

I don't wear any of these.
    -

Maurice Roucel: Envy
    Germaine Cellier: Fracas
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Do you all really have a favorite designer? Its funny to me how I have favorite designers for things: watches, cars, whatever. That never really translated to scents. I have no idea with few exceptions who made what in my wardrobe. Perhaps if I did, my natural selection would be apparent.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)