Code of Conduct

Red face Animalistic notes perfume, wich one to choose?

After the revelating experience of wearing vierges et toreros, I want to dive more into real animalistic notes:
    Wich one could be the better one?.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Default Re: Animalistic notes perfume, wich one to choose?

La Nuit by Paco Rabanne is a good place to start.

Off-Scenter

Muscs Koublai Khan
    Nuit Noire
    Ungaro II

All three are even more animalistic than Vierges & Toreros, at least to my crude nose.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 11th October 2007 at 12:30 AM.

I find Ungaro II to be almost embarassingly fecal at the start--then the other notes take over and it evolves into something really interesting.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    I find Ungaro II to be almost embarassingly fecal at the start--then the other notes take over and it evolves into something really interesting.
    Yup. Lots of civet in this one!

Givenchy Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by madridbatabidd View Post
    After the revelating experience of wearing vierges et toreros, I want to dive more into real animalistic notes:
    Wich one could be the better one?.
    What was this "revealing experience"?

Anyway, Kouros is an obvious choice. Or Kiehl's.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

The new Tom Ford for Men Extreme (coming out in November) should be just what you're looking for.

Another that comes to mind quickly is Dzing by L'Artisan Parfumeur. But hurry up, it's discontinued.

Ungaro II, definitely. Or Kouros. Or the OLD Gentleman (if you can find it). Or Monsieur Musk (animalistic but slightly soapy, also embarrassingly, wonderfully cheap). Or Salvador Dali pour Homme (not really so animalistic as just dark, dirty and delish).

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I'll second Aaron on Givenchy Gentleman

Muscs Koublaï Khän contains six of the most animalic ingedients. A pure animalic and a great fragrance overall.

Civet
    Castoreum
    Musks
    Costus Roots
    Ambergris
    Ambrette

Ava Luxe Rasa Extreme (esp. parfum) - prefer it on a woman

Profoundly animalic. Not quite as out in front as Koublaï Khän, but the underlying animalia is even stronger than MKK over time.

Indian Musk
    Kenya Musk
    Skin Musk
    Egyptian Musk
    Civet
    Ambergris

Ava Luxe Kama Extreme (esp. parfum) - I only tried it once but it's a very pure animalic

3 Musks
    Ambergris
    Civet

Some of the men's fragrances with animalic components:

Yatagan (catoreum, musk)
    Cuir Mauresque (civet, musk)
    Jules (castoreum, musk)
    Knize Ten (castoreum, musk)
    Antaeus (castoreum, musk)
    Givenchy Gentleman (civet, musk)
    Ungaro II (civet, musk)
    Amouage Gold (civet, musk)
    Kouros (civet, musk)
    Rose Poivree (civet, musk)
    Gendarme V (civet, musk)

Most of these aren't necessarily all that genuinely animalic but the civet and castoreum can become extremely animalic in some of them, esp. in the right conditions.

Jicky contains a lot of real civet, and while it isn't animalic in the same way as the first three I mentioned (MKK, Rasa Ext, Kama Ext), its civet can "comes alive" in the heat. It's not sexual or enigmatic, just strange as hell, having the ability to negatively affect certain forms of tenuous relationships. Many women's fragrances contain civet but it doesn't always project like it does in fragrances like Jicky.

None of the men's fragrances listed above create anything like the kind of animalia you get from Muscs Koublaï Khän, Rasa Extreme parfum, and Kama Extreme parfum (the edp's are also good. Rasa Extreme's more feminine than MKK but I don't know many women who will wear it. My girlfriend won't and she wears damn near everything, including Muscs Koublaï Khän. Rasa Extreme might not jump out at you at first, but the underlying current, duration, and steady output of animalia is even stronger than Muscs Koublai Khan, and persists well into the 14th hour. Kama Extreme is also extremely animalic but I have less knowledge of it since my sample made its way south.

A long list of women's fragrances contain civet and to a lesser extent, castoreum.

La Nuit (Rabanne) has a strong undercurrent of animalia but mainly comes across as a quality leather chypre. Turin said it's like spraying Tabu on a horse but it hasn't hit me quite like that yet.

Bandit (civet, castoreum, musk) puts out a good deal of animalia though it's been tamed in the recent formulations.

CBIHatePerfume's Musk Reinvention is supposed to be good.

Nemat's Musk Supreme is supposed to share similarities with MKK.

ajmc had these recommendations from another thread:

"Attar Bazaar ~ India Musk
    Attar Bazaar ~ Egyptian Musk
    Madini ~ Musk Gazelle
    Madini ~ Musk Pierre
    Madini ~ Alma de Alma
    Madini ~ Baraka
    Bruno Acampora ~ Musc

http://stores.ebay.com/Agarscents-Bazaar

I have samples of their 100% Pure Indian White Musk,100% Pure Red Musk and own a bottle of Agar Musk Black w/ Cambodi Oudh. These are truly on a different level." "
    Last edited by pluran; 12th October 2007 at 06:33 PM.

I just finished writing on another thread what notes disagree with me, one of them being musk. Just reading what Pluran wrote made me ill. I really wish I knew why musk gives me near instantaneous headaches. Maybe I wasn't cut out for the animal kingdom.

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 11th October 2007 at 06:55 AM.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

KL Homme has an animalistic, musky drydown that i love.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Red face Re: Animalistic notes perfume, wich one to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    What was this "revealing experience"?

Anyway, Kouros is an obvious choice. Or Kiehl's.
    I never tried on me an animalistic perfume, so, even I think this one not very very animalisitc, for my virgin nose, I found it like a master piece. Its very dusty and raw, kind of sweaty and dirty, with a fantastic hint of tuberose, that, also, never relly liked, but now I'm getting obsessed. This is my opinion that could be as acceptable as any other basenoter.
    Anyway, that's why I'm more interested in try another ones and see what I really found.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

I've worn many of the fragrances above, all of the men's stuff. The two most genuinely animalic fragrances I've worn are Muscs Koublaï Khän and Rasa Extreme parfum, the edp is also good. Their affect can seem subtle at first, but the undercurrent is profound with longevity at about 14 hours. I don't know many women who will wear it. My girlfriend won't and she wears damn near everything, including Muscs Koublaï Khän and others.
    That's exactly what i needed, good explanation and much offer to start sniffing, Let's see if I found all here in Europe.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The new Tom Ford for Men Extreme (coming out in November) should be just what you're looking for.

Another that comes to mind quickly is Dzing by L'Artisan Parfumeur. But hurry up, it's discontinued.
    i'M REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SMELL THIS ONE AND THE BLACK ORCHID, BUT IMPOSIBLE TO FOUND HERE IN SPAIN!!!
    I owned a decant of Dzing! and smell more vanilla and eraser gomma though,can't detect any of dirty yummy smell hehe.
    I'm sure it's my skin that react really funny with some perfumes...
    Last edited by madridbatabidd; 11th October 2007 at 09:21 AM.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Pluran, how is it possible that modern perfumes use "real" civet?

You mention Jicky as a prime example, but surely Guerlain is not longer extracting civet from cat secretions?

BTW, if you ever read how perfumers used to extract civet from cats, it's not a pretty story. Surely no one does this anymore. Right?
    Last edited by Butthead53; 12th October 2007 at 02:52 AM.

Dzing! might not be discontinued...that still just a rumor. I keep asking friends and supposedly it's still in production. It will remain in limited production for the time being.

Jicky EDP (the edt has civet so faint and tamed while the edp has it so round in the drydown)
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Penhaligon's Douro/Lords
    Bond No.9 H.O.T. Always (even if this one is more cinnamon that animalic notes)
    Muscs Koublai Khan (Verryyyyy animalic! First time I tried it was so hot in paris that I had to wash it off after a while cuz it was even embarassing...lol but in cool weather it's fantastic)
    Yatagan
    Kouros
    Kiehls musk

French Lover (Frederic Malle)

How about DG By?

I may be crazy but I swear I detect a decidedly animalistic note in Heritage by Guerlain. Could that be true? I smell just a touch in Givenchy Gentleman, none in Gendarme or Lords, as others have said, but Heritage, wow that's animalic!
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 13th October 2007 at 03:11 AM.

I'll put in a plug for one of my favorites: Mazzolari Lui.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene