Code of Conduct

Default Must...be...strong...must...be...strong..

ohmygod what am I getting myself into.

I just signed up for a fragrance "event" at Apothia at the uber-trendy, celebrity-infested Fred Segal store this Saturday, featuring reps from perfume empire Givaudan, and niche perfumers, Through Smoke Creative.

So why must I be strong? They stock Creed, Serge Lutens, L'Artisans, Bond No 9, People of the Labyrinths, and MORE. And I'm BROKE, tapped out for the month! Can I resist Serge's siren song, the cry for love from Kai, the "take me I'm yours (for a price) " call from the Artisans?

The upside? Sniffing to my hearts content, chance to chat with reps from the fragrance houses represented there, "free" breakfast, and a goody bag of samples. As they say, "woot!"

Note: If anyone is local and wants to attend, there is a $20 discount on the $50 ticket through Sniffapalooza. Sign up for their event notices for more info, or email Karen directly.

Apothia.com
    event info
    Givaudan
    sniffapalooza.com
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 11th October 2007 at 02:26 AM.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Default Re: Must...be...strong...must...be...strong..

lucky lucky you!

Sounds like you'll have to keep the inner "gotta have it" demons under control.

have a great time!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

those "gotta have it" demons are very loud and very insistent. And thanks for the good wishes.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

You know I wish I could be there with you! Leave the credit cards at home, tuck some cash in your purse for one possible purchase of something that might be offered at discount. Chances are you can get the same fragrances for less if you study swap boards, ebay, etc. So just think of this event as "speed dating," and don't marry the first thing you fall in love with.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

My advice is: do not purchase anything you haven't sampled prior to the event at the event. If you have sampled something that you enjoy and want to own, take enough for that one purchase and revel in it! Feel indulged! Do not make a hasty decision with a purchase, that will just make you feel out of control and disgusted. I'd gather cards from the different reps and sales people and request some samples later. There is no hurry. Don't worry - if you fall in love with anything, I bet someone on this board has it for swap or purchase at a decent price. If not, it will be there for you over the next few weeks or months.

Also, be selective about what you spray on at the event: more than 3 or 4 at one time and it's hopeless to totally experience a fragrance. You need a sample to take home and experience in your own environment / your own life.

Have fun and report back what happens!

Quarry! I wish you could be there too! You'd be my parental voice of restraint. I have none.

Ack, I hope I have the willpower. I'd need to take a prybar to find space on my credit card, so hopefully that will be helpful. And I think the only discount will be the exclusive creations of the niche perfumers who are the special guests. But I think we also get samples.

As of today I haven't sniffed anything they have listed on their website, but given that they will have a roomful of perfumistas with credit cards, so I imagine they might expand their offerings a bit. Company reps are supposed to be there -- hopefully with lots of samples! -- which supports that theory, I should be getting a package or two of sample donations from kindly and generous BNers, so maybe that will take the edge off. I also might go sniffing today to dampen my desire to sniff and buy. And their "legendary" goody bag will give me a feeling of walking away with a bag o' smelly stuff.

::sigh::

I definitely want to sniff Daim Blond and La Chasse Aux Papillons. Maybe Love in White and Millesime Imperial. Of course I have Raffy in my backyard, so Creed's aren't as high a priority.

And oh yes, I'll definitely post a report about my adventures!

::sigh:: so much pressure

PS

Did I mention breakfast is included? I mean, all 5 of my senses -- and my tummy -- will be indulged on Saturday!
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 11th October 2007 at 05:25 PM.

*sigh* so jealous... they dnt seem to have fragrance events over here

Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    *sigh* so jealous... they dnt seem to have fragrance events over here

Jillsy: Organize one! Are you near-ish to a major city? If so, I'll bet you aren't the only fragrance collector around. Even a local-ish group to meet, swap, sniff, and talk would be fun, huh?

And for the record, the event today was wonderful. My already exhausted nose, post mega-sniff, is now needing a vacation to Hawaii, a massage, and a martini, very dry.

And hello to the other basenoters I met, and to those I wasn't fortunate enough to meet. I wasn't the only one there representin' .

(And no, I didn't buy anything!)

Quote Originally Posted by MiaKulpa View Post
    (And no, I didn't buy anything!)
    Un-be-lie-va-ble.
    You were so...strong.
    No way could I have done that.