Code of Conduct

Default Recommend some new colognes for a college kid please

Hey guys,

So I'm just starting to get into colognes a little bit. I'm 19 turning 20 in December and am a Sophmore in college.

My collection:

Cool Water Game
    Bvlgari Aqva
    Issey Miyake L'eau D'issey
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    Very Sexy for Him 1
    Kenneth Cole Black
    Burberry Brit
    Azzaro Visit

As you can see I have a ton of aquatic/fresh summery ones. I'm lookin for some more oriental/spicier ones for winter use. More of a daily use cologne for school to mix in w/ VS, Black, Brit, and Visit. I'm prolly gonna box up CWG and Bvlgari Aqua and not touch them till spring. IM and Allure sport have some more spices in them which will let them work in cooler weather.

And another question. I recently ordered Issey Miyake off Bigdiscount.com And as soon as I sprayed it the first time, it kinda smelled like Aqva, but then in 10 seconds disappeared and started smelling like a cinnamon, almost starbucks chai tea latte like smell. And I loved it. But I've worn it a few times, and it keeps smelling like its disappearing after an hour. And everyone raves that this is one of the longest lasting/most sillage colognes. 1 spray lasts forever. Well I put on 2-3 and its gone so fast. I started thinking that it might be fake.... But bigdiscount is a reputable seller so I dunno. Either its fake, it doesn't work w/ my skin chemistry as well, or its one of those colognes u can't smell but its still there. What do u think?

Default Re: Recommend some new colognes for a college kid please

Master Deep,
    I don't know about your second question, the one on Issey, so I 'm sorry I can't help there.

For a fall scent for you under the criteria you mention, I'd point your nose to Guerlain's L'Instant Pour Homme. Of course you might not like it when you smell it, but I didn't either. A few tests and a full wearing later, it won me over and I think it deserves a lot more attention and use than it gets, at least from me, and maybe the forum too. Who knows. That's the one I'd suggest you try out.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

if you can accept that age is just a number...
    there are worth investigating...
    Gucci Envy
    YSL M7
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Givenchy Pi
    Versace The Dreamer
    Dior Pour Homme
    T.Muggler A*Men

If you're feeling rich...have a look at the creeds, bond no.9 and lutens
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Try "R de Capucci". It's a very sophisticated chypre scent. Very versatile, not expensive, will make a contrast to the aquatic fragrances. (you can find it at 99perfume.com)(all due credit to Hirsch_Duckfinder)

See if you like leather. Give Aramis a sniff. While you're there, see if they have any of the other Aramis frags.

others:
    Baldessarini
    Equipage
    Santos de Cartier
    (last two might be a bit dear, not sure what sort of budget you're contemplating)

Budget would be sub-$60 for a 1.7 ideally.

Great suggestions!
    Maybe you should try these too:
    - Rochas Man
    - Armani Code
    - Boucheron Jaipur
    - Very Irresistible

D&G PH. The original, not that AdG smell-a-like bullshit. Inoffensive and has depth and sophistication too.

Jaipur is also a winner when it comes to the ladies. Not as in they will instantly sleep with you, but as in they enjoy the sweet vanilla and subtle spices.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Deep View Post
    What do u think?
    I think a college sophomore oughta be able to spell "you" without straining. :P

I think Envy would be a good fit for your fall wardrobe. Jaipur is a very nice oriental, but a pretty big jump from what you're wearing now (might as well give it a try, anyway, if you find it).

From a female's point of view, I really like these that probably fit within your budget or close to it:

Polo Black
    Lolita Au Masculin - which I also like for myself
    Believe it or not...CK Eternity
    Gendarme
    Thierry Mugler cologne

Give John Varvatos or Burberry London (06/plaid) a try. These would be great fall scents for a collegiate like yourself. Both have good longevity too. I agree with M7 for the oriental you are looking for.

Stay away from amen...stay away unless you want to smell like willy wonka.

I would say John Varvatos, Dolce and Gabbana pour homme, armani code, polo double black...these are all good choices!

Armani Code
    Givenchy Very Irresistable
    Gucci Pour Homme

Thanks guys. I'll check these out as soon as midterms are over.
    --------------------------------------
    Hey guys. I'm considering these right now along with some of the others you guys mentioned. I want something that's not heavy, but not too light. Like where people can smell it from say 2-maybe 3 feet away, but it doesn't get stronger if they step closer to me. And I need something that will last for a fairly long time. Any Recommendations from this list?:

Burberry Touch
    Armani Mania
    Emporio Armani He
    360 White
    Valentino V Pour Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme

I need 1 or 2 for fall/winter. Thanks. I decided I want to spend a little less since I already spent a ton on colognes. So the ones in my list are in my price range. I had to take Terre d'Hermes out cause it was too much at this point. Maybe in the future.
    Last edited by Master Deep; 13th October 2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

armani mania from that list sounds good. honestly, best bet it to take a few trips to a nearby perfume counter and just do a lot of smelling.

also, i saw someone reccomend rive gauche ph. staaaaaaaay away.

I also recommend John Varvatos. Not something a regular college guy would wear. WHen you smell it from the bottle is not so interesting, but half an hour later it is has most of the caracteristics that make a good edt. Then Ungaro III.
    Then either Burrberry Men/Brit/London/Touch or G&B PH.
    IMO skip Armani Code and 360 white and go for bulgari black.
    Givenvhy pour Home. A very young scent with good depth. Aramis Life reminds me to it.
    Try Amen, M7, Rive Gauche, ... You may like em or you may get a hedache just like me.

Blog Entries

DEFINITELY get the 360 White, but only if you can find it @ Marshall's for $15 (it turns up quite often). Then, you'll have enough money to buy another good frag . Out of your new list, Burberry Touch is a great one. Mania is ok, more than ok, actually...but it disappears so fast! A great, longer lasting, & better smelling alternative is Corduroy by Zirh.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I can give you a thumbs up on Carven Homme. I bought it blind, just got it today. Very very nice. I could see a college guy wearing it.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)