Code of Conduct

Default L'Occitane 4 Winds-- 1st Impressions

Happy to make my way over to the store and quell my curiosity...my thoughts and findings:

Neroli-- People will be happy to know that this is the same EdP as their former offering a while ago. Only drawback is that you have to buy their 75 ml bigger bottles for $65 compared to the 50 ml for $49. It smells the same, but I don't recall smelling any lychee and plum, nor do I remember it being listed that way either on the website for its first incarnation.

Iris-- Sweet powdery floral with a definite note of violet. Not particularly masculine, but if you're verrrry patient the florals taper off to reveal a sensual woody, slightly resinous and vanillic base.

Myrtle-- Fresh citrus opening reminiscent to their verbena scent, then you catch that green floral of the myrtle and warmed with what I guess is that sea amber until relaxing to that very citrus labdanum and gentle patchouli. Can't escape the feeling I've smelled something like this before...an unspicy version of Burberry Summer? Ambiguous unisex floral.

Cedar-- Described as the most masculine of the bunch, but perfectly unisex. Opening is green citrus and resinous--the best part, IMO. Then I hit a speed bump with this one. The culprit--cumin! Not too 'sweaty', but its bitterness compromises the smooth tobacco underneath. Tonka rounds out the cedar at the base. Very soothing impression when you smell its sillage. Seems like Myrtle and Cedar are the most kindred to each other.

They're all worth a sniff--definitely considering the Cedar. All have good longevity, but the Myrtle has the best tenacity.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 12th October 2007 at 06:42 AM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: L'Occitane 4 Winds-- 1st Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    Neroli-- People will be happy to know that this is the same EdP as their former offering a while ago. Only drawback is that you have to buy their 75 ml bigger bottles for $65 compared to the 50 ml for $49.
    Well that's good news - the part about this being the same as the old one, not the part about the price increase.

Watch out...when scentemental reads this thread he's gonna be pissed!

You certain it is exactly the same? I was told by L'Occitane main office that the new neroli is a different formulation.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Unhappy Re: L'Occitane 4 Winds-- 1st Impressions

I smelled this on a test strip that was already sprayed prior, and as far as I can tell it was the same frag. Must've missed the whole lychee plum beginning, but the rest seem to be intact.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Had this typed up before I logged on- usual caveats- my nose, my impressions and a rushed trip to boot.

If it is a tradition of L’Occitane to confuse us with their naming conventions (How many L’orangers, nerolis , ambres, roses and teas can you track?), they remain in fine form. The new line, called in prerelease publicity “Notre Flore”, is now being marketed as “4 Vents” (Yup, 4 is in French), but the bottles are still marked “Notre Flore”. It might behoove a company that bases most of their marketing on their “true stories” to get their stories straight. Not that any of this would have been noted by anyone less than obsessed (ahem) with perfume releases. The bottles are indeed attractive and the store displays with the various pastel juices underlit are rather striking (I know it’s not good for perfume, the sales stock is in opaque boxes.) The website helpfully lists a complete pyramid for each and is much to be applauded in crediting the individual perfumers as well. ( I know the noses were listed there yesterday and can’t find them today.)

For me a rushed blitz through a busy mall is probably the worst way to test scents and had all four been available in the mini size, I would have just got them all to take home to test. (Only Myrtle and Iris are in store and on the website; rumour has it that Cedar and Neroli will follow.)

The Iris is cool and airy, like many iris scents, it seems to me to be more a texture than a scent, more apparent in how it affects the air around it than of itself. My brief impression was far more like Hiris than Iris Nobile and not at all like Iris Ganache.

They seem to be aiming the whole line to women, but the Cedar is easily unisex. The cedar note seems to be considerably brightened by the grapefruit, reading more like Douglas fir, almost a minty effect.

I expect that I expected too much from the Myrtle. I used to buy bunches of myrtle greens to use as floral filler and the scent was striking and surprising. It’s a beautiful aromatic green note, not very often used in perfumery. Whatever it is I remember was not much in evidence here. And with myrtles traditional association with Aphrodite and the Mediterranean a sea note didn’t sound like a bad idea. I’ve somehow managed to miss most of the marine scents that most of this board is so heartily tired of. Now I think I know why. A touch of salt and iodine was what I was looking for, but I’m pretty sure that what I got was a lot of Calone.

I found the Neroli to be the best of the lot, but it is not at all the same as the Neroli discontinued earlier this year. It has been significantly lightened and sweetened. It is still centered on a similar and beautiful orange flower and Neroli, but the sum effect is pretty, pink and girly. I didn’t find it too sweet or hopelessly young and it projects and lasts well, but it doesn’t have the darkness and depth of the original.

I was confused as well looking at these boxes which read "Notre Flore", which was actually 4 Vents. The boxes are done up much more modern compared to the old apothecary or bath-line style. The shape, detailing, and colors of the bottles beckon for me to own at least one of the whole bunch. I think that they're going for a product facelift aesthetic-wise and shedding that homey and natural look of their products and going for a spa-like aesthetic. Gosh, I hope this doesn't mean a demand for a price hike in their stuff. I was always pleased with their quality and reasonable pricing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    The new line, called in prerelease publicity “Notre Flore”, is now being marketed as “4 Vents” (Yup, 4 is in French), but the bottles are still marked “Notre Flore”. It might behoove a company that bases most of their marketing on their “true stories” to get their stories straight. Not that any of this would have been noted by anyone less than obsessed (ahem) with perfume releases. The bottles are indeed attractive and the store displays with the various pastel juices underlit are rather striking (I know it’s not good for perfume, the sales stock is in opaque boxes.) The website helpfully lists a complete pyramid for each and is much to be applauded in crediting the individual perfumers as well. ( I know the noses were listed there yesterday and can’t find them today.)

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    I found the Neroli to be the best of the lot, but it is not at all the same as the Neroli discontinued earlier this year. It has been significantly lightened and sweetened. It is still centered on a similar and beautiful orange flower and Neroli, but the sum effect is pretty, pink and girly. I didn’t find it too sweet or hopelessly young and it projects and lasts well, but it doesn’t have the darkness and depth of the original.
    Thanks, I didn't want the old one and wasn't sure what was going on there. I can't smell them in person and they are terrible with samples online. I need an orange blossom fragrance and have sampled many, just haven't found the one that's "me" yet.

The Iris sounds good, too. I've been wearing my Cote Bastide Iris sample out these past few weeks and have been very attracted to those flowers in this weather. I like Cote Bastide's because it's not powdery, but I don't mind a little when it's cooler out.

I was thinking about getting the Cherry Blossom EDT, I have the bath powder with puff and room spray coming now and was going to decide whether to get a bottle after I lived with the scent for a bit. The body and hand creams are nice. I have a problem with that line, I always want more than I should be buying and I'm just hoping they don't sell out of the new Lavender room spray before I get around to it. I miss the original AOC Lavender fragrance, I never see it, anymore.

The Myrtle was really sparking my interest, I couldn't imagine what it smelled like and appreciate the review.

I don't mean to be an enabler, but if you're bonkers for the original Neroli, they still have it on the L'Occitaine UK website. I have no idea if they ship overseas from the UK is the only snag.

I hate the idea of them messing with my heavenly Neroli, I have to say. I'm seriously considering shelling out £38 +p&p for a backup bottle. But I think I have to be sensible and resist the temptation.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    II was always pleased with their quality and reasonable pricing.
    If anything, they are underpriced for the quality of products they have. Makes me wonder why Miller Harris, L'Artisan and other niches charge an arm and a leg for their "more" natural fragrances.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Institution

I smelled the Cedar last night - I didn't really like it. It reminded me too much of Un Jardin de Mediteranee by Hermes, without the fruity/fig kick that I like and a boring tobacco drydown.

I really wanted to try the Neroli, but I was already covered in their new (and horrible) honey and lemon body products, I had nose fatigue.

One more thing entirely off topic: They are discontinuing the Honey Water fragrance and soaps (the ones that are in the shape of honeybees). This is really ridiculous because their honey fragrances were one of their best products, so nice and subtle. Sad.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

That's too bad about the Honey Water, I know a lot of people liked it and it was also a nice one for young people. I got the Cherry Blossom Room Spray and powder.... it doesn't smell anything like cherry blossoms, which I was going after, and my husband asked me if I was killing ants in the kitchen, he had no clue what I had just sprayed. I sent it back and got Green Tea with Mint, which is a little better, so I think I'll just keep it and give it to an employee. Appreciate the reviews.
    Last edited by beachroses; 26th November 2007 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I smelled the Cedar last night - I didn't really like it. It reminded me too much of Un Jardin de Mediteranee by Hermes, without the fruity/fig kick that I like and a boring tobacco drydown.

I really wanted to try the Neroli, but I was already covered in their new (and horrible) honey and lemon body products, I had nose fatigue.

One more thing entirely off topic: They are discontinuing the Honey Water fragrance and soaps (the ones that are in the shape of honeybees). This is really ridiculous because their honey fragrances were one of their best products, so nice and subtle. Sad.
    I thought the same thing with JeM and Kelly Caleche, but then again KC is an Ellena creation after all. Although it was called Cedar, it seems Tobacco was the star of the show--no complaints though, and I get compliments every time I wear it.

Seems like the main theme of all four is that they all have an underlying green tone to them.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I like green notes. Hmmm....
    Last edited by beachroses; 26th November 2007 at 03:22 PM.