Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme

I just bought a bottle and WOW!!!! What a fragrance!
    Elegant, Masculine and unlike anything else out there. 2 nostrils up!

What do you guys think?

Default Re: Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme

Gotta be honest here..., I add it to my bath water. Sorry fella, each to his own etc, but I just get one flat powdery/soapy smell from it where as a couple of weeks ago I found it to be perfectly acceptable as a 'freshener' in quite a pleasant and retro kinda way. I have been recently spoilt by the likes of Caraceni, Tauer, and my revisits of SL Rousse and L'As Passage d'Enfer, not to mention todays Sotd 'Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa' which when used as a 'freshener' is what I personally like at present. APCI and a couple of others have a quality that VC&A just doesn't give me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterV View Post
    I just bought a bottle and WOW!!!! What a fragrance!
    Elegant, Masculine and unlike anything else out there. 2 nostrils up!

What do you guys think?

Im with you here.. I bought it blind.. I love it!!!!!

My Holy Grail so far. I'm amazed everytime I smell it...though I have many creeds, and even the much vaunted no.88 , Jules etc, nothing comes close to beating VC&A And I hear its now available in Target stores.
    SixStars: Miller Harris - Cuir D'Oranger

FiveStars:
    1. Cuiron 2. VC&A Pour Homme 3. Dunhill 1934 4. Trumper Marlborough 5. Trumper Wild Fern 6. Cartier Santos 7. MPG Ambre Precieux

I smelled it first. I bought it. One of my favorites. I think there's it's got Pheromones in it it.
    I think it by the reaction.

I bought it blind and was frankly underwhelmed. However, I plan to give it several more tries. Has it been reformulated? My college roommate used to wear it and I remember it smelling different and frankly better! Of course, he always had a lurking smell of bong water about him that may have enhanced the VCA....

A little grating these days, but if you like it otherwise it satisfies in a big way.
    Last edited by pluran; 16th January 2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: blackout

Good stuff!

I must have the reformulated one then.

I have all the Lutens bar two, all the Creeds bar two, half the Guerlains and many others, and I mean many many others. Pure Aouds, oils and smells from all over the world. Compared to most of my collection VC&A is crap!!

Well you did ask.....

Quote Originally Posted by Glenos View Post
    I must have the reformulated one then.
    I have both the vintage version (that says eau de toilette) and the reformulated version (that says pour homme). Recently i also acquired a bottle that says 'Concentrated naturel spray'. However i don't see the 'normal' juice being any less concentrated than this latest bottle that i procured.

The vintage juice surely is a little 'darker' but the 'pour homme' reformulated version has a lot of punch in it as well. VC & A ph lasts forever.

I love it almost as much as i love 'Antaeus' which does share some common notes with it.

gupts

Its a wonderful scent with powdery oakmoss note. I wore this Monday on a cold rainny here and its sillage worked wonders.

Classic scent!

Well I had to chime in here. I have always loved this stuff. Yes it is very strong. Ha Ha..I remember a few years ago I was at a hotel getting ready to go to this conference. Some of my friends came to get me and no lie...they said. "We can smell your cologne outside the door." Well I instantly knew that I had put way to much of VC and A on. I had to quickly reshower to get it right.....Ahahaahaha

I have always put VC and A in my Tux-goin out in grand style juice along with Tiffany for Men.

Yeah I know it has been put in a catagory for the 'Mature' men but it just works for special occassions...in the cooler weather.

Fragrance On,

Otto

I'm not really feeling this one. Perhaps I got an off bottle, but my experience was pretty bad. Imagine an old man popping out of a jack in the box, holding a bouquet of very strong, yet unidentifiable flowers. That was VCA for me.

I, like a few others here, bought it blind. I owned Tsar before (mine was original in opaque bottle, not the 'eau') and sorta had an idea of what to expect. I got even more, though.

I totally dig it. Classic, rich, and definitely floral enough. On me, the rose and carnation come through loud and clear but the moss and woods keep them in check. It does stay balanced and the longevity and sillage are very good. I would not call this a "toss it on" scent - it doesn't strike me as having any 'casual' tendencies.

I consider it well-suited for fall or early spring when the temps don't top 70F but it's good in the winter, too. This is a scent with stature. I like it a lot.

Love it.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I wore it yesterday & it has a lot of tenacity, thus one has to be mindful to apply sparingly. It is definitely one of the greats!

smeller

Used to be my favorite (I own the vintage bottle), but now I feel too much incense on it. And I find it very different from Antaeus (perhaps it's closer to Trussardi Uomo, but I'm not acquainted with this one).

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I have both the vintage version (that says eau de toilette) and the reformulated version (that says pour homme).
    gupts
    Gupts, can you please tell me which of these two is the vintage? I'm trying to buy it online and would really appreciate the help:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VAN-CLEEF-AR...ht_1863wt_1396

OR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Cleef-Va...ht_1269wt_1396

Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by dnivra View Post
    Gupts, can you please tell me which of these two is the vintage? I'm trying to buy it online and would really appreciate the help:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VAN-CLEEF-AR...ht_1863wt_1396

OR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Cleef-Va...ht_1269wt_1396

Thanks so much.
    I had the second one and I would describe it as "reformulated garbage." A strong soapy lavender/laundry musk kind of thing, though if you like that, go for it. I strongly advise instead going for the original Leonard Pour Homme, because then you don't have to worry about reformulation. My guess is that both of the pictures you linked to are for frags that bear little resemblance to the original formulation. Vintage LPH is supposed to be very similar to the original VC&APH and can be found on ebay at non-insane prices. So this is the one I'd go for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEONARD-EDT-...item2eb6aeef24

But if you must have VC&A PH, this one might be okay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Cleef-Ho...item518e186f77
    Last edited by Bigsly; 16th January 2012 at 04:22 AM.

To be completely honest, I have tried both vintage (REALLY vintage) and recent (brown leafy pattern box), and people are correct in saying the most recent one is very close to the original. The original one I tried had evaporated a bit and lost some of its top notes, but the burning incense drydown smell is the same. The new one's "soapy" top notes are very strong, but the powdery incense drydown is divine and forever lasting, and the same as the original. Positively ancient and evil smelling.

Lovingthealien,

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it!

Bigsly,

I'm reading the reviews of LPH. If I do buy it, it will be a blind buy. Anyway, thanks so much for pointing that out!

It's a wonderful, classic scent.

Hmm. Powdery, flowery, oakmossy, soapy, lavender-y, musky, incensey, ancient evil, you say? I must try this! I'll watch out for it.

My current one looks like the second ebay picture. I wouldn't call it "reformulated garbage." In fact, I like it a lot. Remember everyone's nose is different. I think (though I don't know for sure) the second picture is the more recent, but it's been a while since I looked into VCA reformulation issues and would defer to somebody else with more information.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Just my opinion. After sampling a whole lot of frags from that era, the brown leaf box one struck me as something that could not have been created back then, because it seemed liked a strong "laundry musk" element was present (which I detest).

I always liked this smooth, distinctive powerhouse

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

The version in the box with the leafy motif is the closest to the original.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I have not tried a recent formulation as I have found some vintage bottles and I must say this is one of my favourite fragrances. So very distinctive with class and I find I'm addicted to it. I find it difficult not to spray some on me night after night after a shower so I can sit and keep smelling it!!!!
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Just my opinion. After sampling a whole lot of frags from that era, the brown leaf box one struck me as something that could not have been created back then, because it seemed liked a strong "laundry musk" element was present (which I detest).
    Well, it was the sole (credited) contribution to the fragrance world by Louis Monnet, and a positively "different" experience in perfume for its time. Their website (which apparently only markets Pour Homme in EU zone) states that VCA Pour Homme pioneered strong florals in men's fragrances. Here is a list of the most important men's fragrances according to Michael Edwards:

1930: Pour Un Homme (Caron / Ernest Daltroff)
    1935: Canoe (Dana / Jean Carles)
    1937: Old Spice (Shulton / Albert Hauck)
    1949: Moustache (Rochas / Edmond & Theresa Roudnitska)
    1952: Pino Silvestre (Silvestre / Lino Vidal)
    1955: Chanel Pour Monsieur (Chanel / Henri Robert)
    1957: Vetiver de Carven (Carven / Edouard Hache)
    1959: Tabac Original (Maurer & Wirtz / Arturo Jordi-Pey)
    1961: Vetiver de Guerlain (Guerlain / Jean Paul Guerlain)
    1964: Brut (Fabergé / Karl Mann)
    1965: Aramis (Estée Lauder Aramis division / Bernard Chant)
    1965: Habit Rouge (Guerlain / Jean Paul Guerlain)
    1966: Eau Sauvage (Dior / Edmond Roudnitska)
    1973: Jovan Musk for Men (Jovan / Murray Moscona)
    1973: Paco Rabanne Pour Homme (Paco Rabanne / Jean Martel)
    1974: Givenchy Gentleman (Givenchy / Paul Leger)
    1976: Grey Flannel (Geoffrey Beene / Andre Fromentin)
    1976: Halston Z-14 (Halston / Vincent Marcello, Max Gavarry)
    1978: Azzaro Pour Homme (Azzaro / Anthony Gerard, Martin Heiddenreich, Richard Wirtz)
    1978: Devin (Aramis / Bernard Chant)
    1978: Lagerfeld (Lagerfeld / Ron Winnegrade)
    1978: Polo (Ralph Lauren / Carlos Benaim)
    1978: Van Cleef & Arpels (VCA / Louis Monnet)
    1981: Eau d'Hadrien (Annick Goutal / Annick Goutal, Francis Camail)
    1981: Kouros (YSL / Pierre Bourdon)
    1982: Drakkar Noir (Guy Laroche / Pierre Wargnye)
    1984: Armani Pour Homme (Armani / Roger Pellegrino)
    1986: Obsession for Men (Klein / Bob Slattery)
    1988: Cool Water (Davidoff / Pierre Bourdon)
    1988: Fahrenheit (Dior / Jean Louis Sieuzac, Maurice Roger)
    1989: Joop! Homme (Joop! / Michel Almairac)
    1991: Kenzo Pour Homme (Kenzo / Christian Mathieu)
    1993: Escape for Men (Calvin Klein / Steve Demarcato)
    1995: Tommy (Aramis / Annie Buzantian, Alberto Morillas)

You see how many strong florals exist before VCA Pour Homme? It was truly an outlier in its class. If I could compare it to anything else, I'd say it's more akin to many famous feminine rose cyphres such as Cabochard and Paco Rabanne's La Nuit.

The soapiness was part of the fragrance in its original formulation, and I believe that Interparfums stated that it returned the perfumes to their original formulae AND bottles after the rather miserable versions of the past few years (the solid black box for Pour Homme). Here is some more information:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215...s-former-glory

VCA Pour Homme is truly a beautiful fragrance, and one of my favorites.

Sorry, but what I smelled that came out of that brown leaf box was not from 1978.

Sorry, but what I smelled that came out of that brown leaf box was not from 1978.
    Not literally, no. But the vintage juice really does smell the same! I'll have to order a less-evaporated bottle of it, to be fair, if I want to compare better, but they are the same to me, other than the vintage being a bit darker in the opening, which is partially from evaporation and partially from it being a splash bottle, I'm sure. The drydown is absolutely the same. This is the bottle I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=110808605419+

Have you smelled the vintage stuff? You might just not like the scent.

Elegant, very complex, very rich and very dark. But a little bit "old smelling".

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

The operative word here is "closest". It is already an established fact that designer frags made today/recently cannot entirely replicate the originals of the 70s-80s. Oakmoss replacement, for one, is one good reason. The juice in the leafy motif box still remains the best one can get in the absence of opportunity to score vintage.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by espinado View Post
    Elegant, very complex, very rich and very dark. But a little bit "old smelling".
    +1.

Excellent fragrance.

I liked it, but it wasn't what I expected - more powdery and soapy to me.

Sur la Plage

A friend of mine recently said it reminded him of an "old lady's" perfume.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    A friend of mine recently said it reminded him of an "old lady's" perfume.
    Wow.. It must be a very special kind of lady that can pull off VC&APH.. At least I can`t imagine it..

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Wow.. It must be a very special kind of lady that can pull off VC&APH.. At least I can`t imagine it..
    Not that I'm a lady, but I'm wearing it

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Well I guess it just how different people perceive things. So when "some people" are walking around wearing "men's" fragrances, others may be thinking they are wearing a woman's fragrance.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I love it, and I also blind bought it(I almost always blind buy).

Leonard and VC&A pour Homme share the same aromachemical, whose name I forgot (farenol or something like that).

I layer the present day one with my Wife's First and it, amazingly, comes really close to the vintage one, which I recall as very femenine for my tastes when it was given to me as a present by my parents. As a matter of fact, I did not use it for a long time due to this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    Not literally, no. But the vintage juice really does smell the same! I'll have to order a less-evaporated bottle of it, to be fair, if I want to compare better, but they are the same to me, other than the vintage being a bit darker in the opening, which is partially from evaporation and partially from it being a splash bottle, I'm sure. The drydown is absolutely the same. This is the bottle I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=110808605419+

Have you smelled the vintage stuff? You might just not like the scent.
    I smelled a strong, "modern" laundry musk. That's not 1978. The base was weak, relative to the opening, and just like with Oscar Pour Lui, was generic. If anyone wants to send me tiny amounts of both versions, I'll be happy to study them in great detail, but I just want to be sure that people who read this realize that if they develop their "noses" to a certain degree, the new stuff may disappoint them terribly (or perhaps a sample swap can be arranged).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 16th January 2012 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Leonard and VC&A pour Homme share the same aromachemical, whose name I forgot (farenol or something like that).

I layer the present day one with my Wife's First and it, amazingly, comes really close to the vintage one, which I recall as very femenine for my tastes when it was given to me as a present by my parents. As a matter of fact, I did not use it for a long time due to this reason.
    I didn't make the claim about the similarity. What happened, as I've recounted before, is that I found a decent deal on 100 ml of the Leonard, and decided not to try to find the original VC&APH at a decent price because if it is very similar it would only be worn once every 2 or 3 months anyway. The Leonard is strong at first, but even there you get note separation. The drydown is rich and complex, yet subtle, which is generally what I'm seeking these days, and whatever chemical may have been used, it smells totally "natural," unlike almost everything produced by designer houses within the last what, 20 years? Because of its complexity and subtlety, I prefer it to almost all niche offerings. However, I do understand that some people have gotten used to the niche type of frag (stronger drydown, less notes and complexity, less subtlety). And of course some people may think the worst dollar store frag smells "natural." Recently, I sampled original Ferre for Man (1986) after sampling a clearly newer version. The difference in the drydowns was huge, with similar differences as I've found in almost all other comparisons (top notes are problematic to consider, especially considering how many of the vintage ones I acquired are splash bottles).

Banned
    Blog Entries

I skipped this one altogether and just went straight for Tsar. Not saying VC&A isn't good stuff, but from everything I've read, Tsar is the more modern, hipper younger brother. My experience with it confirms that it does indeed smell like amazing stuff.

I'd like to try the original one soon, though.

I do hate that laundry musk note. I think the worst offender in that regard I've ever come across is a recent formulation of Yardley's English Lavender that tries to add 'white musk' to the drydown. Pure laundry.

Still, regarding 'natural scents', I incline to the belief that much that the difference between those and the artificial is sometimes impossible to discern. Telling the difference between the natural and the artificial is in many instances a task for a machine, not for the human nose. For certain molecules can be identical. Hence there may often be no difference whatsoever. Not that this is always the case, but... Certain eaus smell very natural to me. Doubtless because their reliance on, well, natural ingredients - but it is still obvious that they must often use artificial fixatives. Musks, however, do usually fail badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    I do hate that laundry musk note. I think the worst offender in that regard I've ever come across is a recent formulation of Yardley's English Lavender that tries to add 'white musk' to the drydown. Pure laundry.

Still, regarding 'natural scents', I incline to the belief that much that the difference between those and the artificial is sometimes impossible to discern. Telling the difference between the natural and the artificial is in many instances a task for a machine, not for the human nose. For certain molecules can be identical. Hence there may often be no difference whatsoever. Not that this is always the case, but... Certain eaus smell very natural to me. Doubtless because their reliance on, well, natural ingredients - but it is still obvious that they must often use artificial fixatives. Musks, however, do usually fail badly.
    Yes, when I say "natural," for all I know it's 100% synthetic, but it achieves the richness, complexity, and subtlety I'm seeking. Sometimes a frag smells non-natural yet not "synthetic," such as Elegance by Lacoste. That one comes across as a kind of surface frag, meaning that it doesn't have the sense of depth the good vintage ones do. In a sense, the good vintage ones smell more natural to me than some 100% natural smells, and that's one major reason why I'm in this "hobby" !