Code of Conduct

Default Incense note in perfumes.

I have just come to the end of a cherished sample of Encens et Lavande by
    Serge Lutens and am wondering whether to order a full bottle or whether to explore other incense based perfumes first.
    What I love about IEL is how it transports me to the bedroom of a very dear
    penfriends house in Rouen that used to smell like that. Maybe it was the polish her mother used. It also reminds me of the interiors of catholic churches I have visited-
    reflective and spiritual. I crave it at night to soothe me to sleep.
    What other scents are similar, not necessarily with lavender, but with the same vibe?

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Incense note in perfumes.

Avignon, Citta di Kyoto, Angelique Encens, Messe de Minuit, and Passage d'Enfer are all worth trying!

This may be worth a look:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...hlight=incense

My fav is Paestem Rose...incense & rose...mmmm.
    Last edited by Dane; 12th October 2007 at 06:37 PM.

Sofresh, I have a sample of Paestum Rose somewhere. I must try it out.
    I think floral/incense is what I am craving. Haven't tried Avignon or Citta di Kyoto.
    What is Messe de Minuit like?

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Sofresh, I have a sample of Paestum Rose somewhere. I must try it out.
    I think floral/incense is what I am craving. Haven't tried Avignon or Citta di Kyoto.
    I had a bottle of Comme Des Garcons Ouarzazate (sp?) and Paestem Rose smells very similar, but with rose obviously. Easier to pronounce too.

MdM wasn't for me...I prefer a softer incense. You might want to try Armani Prive Bois d'Encens as well.

10 Corso Como is really easy to wear, no harshness that I sometimes get in other incense frags.

Big fan of Avignon. Of all the incense-based fragrances I've smelled, this strikes me as the purest of type. Fairly linear and screams "Catholic Church"

I am also a big fan of the Ava Luxe incenses - Incense Tibet has this neat almost chocolate note at the top and dries down to this yummy frankinscence, amber, and vanilla dry-down. Shambhala Tibet has an anise/woody thing going on through it (I was a bit anosmic when I tested this last - so you may want to ask the more advanced perfume freaks for their opinion).

Heely's Cardinal is also worth an experiment. This has more pine, citrus, and cedar running through it. If Avignon is high mass - Cardinal is the other 6 days of the week in a priest's life.

Have fun playing with incense

The CdG incense series is great, but people seem to have strong and differing opinions about which they prefer. My favourite is Zagorsk, which is based on Russian Orthodox incense.

I have quite a lot of perfumes with various incense notes, and especially after getting interested in oudhs, I decided to order some real incenses so I could compare them. I buy little packets of the resins from Adrian at Incense Man here in the UK - they smell extraordinarily beautiful when burned, and it's very interesting to observe how they differ. He mostly carries Arabic and Asian incenses, including oudh powder.

There's a section of the site where you can also get resin granules. He sells small packets of frankincense, myhrr and benzoin, and two Catholic blends called Altar Blend and Vatican Blend (my favourite). The Vatican Blend has storax in, which you can pick out if you're patient (it's the black bits). It's worth dabbling a bit in these to find out exactly which incense notes in perfumery it is you're reacting so well to!

Being brought up Catholic, when I smelled Avignon...I wanted to run away screaming! It was hauntingly similar to the smell that made me feel so nauseous in church. Blech!

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Being brought up Catholic, when I smelled Avignon...I wanted to run away screaming! It was hauntingly similar to the smell that made me feel so nauseous in church. Blech!
    I have a feeling that was exactly the strong reaction CdG was looking for in this line. For me - Catholic churches were tourist destinations and not something I was dragged to every Sunday. so my memories of the smell are from relaxed touristing around Europe staring at the grand architecture of the cathedrals and a good friend who burned this incense regularly in her home. Hence - my personal love for this fragrance.

Sometimes, it helps to be brought up a heathen

Lorenzo Villoresi's Incensi is profoundly unisex, IMHO.
    Marvelous use of cinnamon here, and also benzoin.
    A bright, clear, spicy incense without the overdose of frankincense we so often see/smell.
    Marvelous sillage and longevity, too!
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 13th October 2007 at 01:33 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Haven't tried Avignon or Citta di Kyoto.
    All of the suggestions are great, people.
    I've tried a few of them.
    Your choice depends upon the character of the incense you are seeking.
    Messe de Minuit and Passage d'Enfer are serious. You will receive the incense and the smoke. These are quite realistic.
    MdM starts out with gorgeous lemon and orange coupled with mineral aroma. It is like citrus zest and tonic water (one of the most unique fragrances in existence)and it eventually moves into the ashen smell of burned incense (sage.)
    Passage d'Enfer is lemony and lighter but still smoky, like sticking your head out of a window of a train and catching hints of the smoke from the locomotive, very charming.
    Dona Karan Black Cashmere is warmer, softer and sweeter, more of an Oriental, with lots of spices and hints of dried fruit, yummy. This one would be the "easiest" of all to wear.
    Citta di Kyoto adds a unique green, spicy note at the onset which was wonderful. It smelled like shiso, the Japanese herb. Then it runs through a phase where the incense comes in, and then it ends on a peach note. The development was superb.
    I'd like to add good old Youth Dew to the list for its combination of cinnamon, patchouli, and balsam. On the whole, it smells like a sweet version of incense to me.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 13th October 2007 at 02:35 PM.

Avignon smells like frankincense. I don't accociate it with churches because I've never had anything to do with them, but I have burned a hell of a lot of frankincense.

Messe de Minuit has enough cinammon for three fragrances. A quality fragrance with a good drydown. Nothing like Avignon for pure the smell of pure frankincense though.

Passage d'Enfer is pleasant but like a lot of L'Artisans it needs an injection of substance.

Profumum's Olibanum (frankincense) is supposed to be excellent.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...3920&section=1

I haven't spent much time with Encens et Lavande but it has a high quality incense note which is more satisfying than most of the others. Cuir Mauresque also has one of the purest and longest-lasting incense notes I've experienced.

Norma Kamali's is like dry copal burning off of the skin. Profound in its affect but I couldn't get into it. My girlfriend likes it.
    Last edited by pluran; 14th October 2007 at 11:41 PM.

I also get lots of incense in Myako by Anayaké.
    Last edited by lievje; 13th October 2007 at 02:39 PM.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Has anyone tried the 2007 Matthew Williamson - The Collection: Incense??
    I am curious about this one!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I hate churchy incense scents such as Avignon and Messe de Minuit, fortunately for me Encens et Lavande is more enigmatic, spiritual to me than religious.
    Narcisse Noir has one of the most beautiful and mysterious incense note, a perfume of another era, sublime!

Wow, thanks everyone for your answers. I feel impelled to try Black Cashmere and Citta di Kyoto now after reading Purplebird7's wonderful descriptions. I am still tempted to go for the full bottle of Encens et Lavande, however. Does anyone wear this frequently?

Basenotes Institution

I think kewart clarified in her reply above that she's really looking for a floral/incense combo - not just an incense scent. I love the recommendations above, but most of them are non-floral incense scents - especially the CdG Incense Series.

If you are, in fact, looking for a true floral and incense in the vein of Encens et Lavande - then I would second the recommendation for Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The lily note in PdE balances out the incense very nicely and isn't too sweet...just darkly floral. It is not as medicinal or 'cool' as Encens - but it is just as mysterious and meditative. I think you will love it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac