Code of Conduct

Default What to do with atomiser in order to extinguish the smell

Lots of samples have no spraying mechanism. I can feel and evaluate the scent only when I spray the juice on myself. For this purpose I use atomisers.
    It's very hard to eliminate the scent from atomiser. You can wash it ten times, but nevertheless you can feel the slight scent of the former juice.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Default Re: What to do with atomiser in order to extinguish the smell

I believe there have been a few threads on this subject before, and the outcome was that it's virtually impossible to get rid of all the previous juice. Mostly because you can't reach every part of the spraying mechanism. The best way is using a new atomizer.
    Last edited by BrothaG; 13th October 2007 at 10:54 AM.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

My atomizers, pipettes and funnels (for decanting) are all "dedicated." Though there may be little harm in decanting Eau Imperiale with a Farina pipette it just doesn't seem right. And anything Fumerie Turque or Ambre Sultan comes into contact with is Lutenized forever .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Lightly boil it in rubbing alcohol and white vinegar. Let it cool, then do it again (and again, etc.)

If you let it boil for too long, the rubber part inside the spray mechanism expands and won't contract, ruining it.

It might not get it ALL out, but this is probably as close as you're going to come. The white vinegar is really good at removing smells.

Oh and keep in mind this is going to stink up your kitchen a bit! (unless you like the smell of hot vinegar)
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Lightly boil it in rubbing alcohol and white vinegar. Let it cool, then do it again (and again, etc.)

If you let it boil for too long, the rubber part inside the spray mechanism expands and won't contract, ruining it.
    Well, it's too complicated, the whole process...
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

If you're just talking about being able to spray samples, I bought those 2.0 ml plastic atomizers to do this and I use them as disposables. I think I paid $15 for 50 atomizers. It has worked great for me and I am able to fully wear and evaluate the sample.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    If you're just talking about being able to spray samples, I bought those 2.0 ml plastic atomizers to do this and I use them as disposables. I think I paid $15 for 50 atomizers. It has worked great for me and I am able to fully wear and evaluate the sample.
    Took the words out of my mouth - my sentiments exactly.

½ tsp (2.5 ml) liquid soap, ½ tsp baking soda, ½ tsp borax, ½ tsp washing soda, 2 Tbl (15 ml) vinegar into 500 ml warm to hot water. Let soak overnight. Rinse thoroughly with water the next day.

Are these atomisers plastic or metal?
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

My solution to this was to buy a lot of little disposable plastic pipettes from the bookstore on campus (they are used in the chemistry labs), and pull on the part where the stem meets the bulb. The plastic stem stretches out a bit (making the stem narrower in the process), then I snip it off after about an inch or so. I fill the bulb up with the fragrance from the vial, and spray it on myself. It works nearly as well as an atomizer, and is cheap to boot (I think it was like $2 for 100 pipettes), and you can write the name of the fragrance on the bulb and keep it for the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by zeram1 View Post
    ½ tsp (2.5 ml) liquid soap, ½ tsp baking soda, ½ tsp borax, ½ tsp washing soda, 2 Tbl (15 ml) vinegar into 500 ml warm to hot water. Let soak overnight. Rinse thoroughly with water the next day.

Are these atomisers plastic or metal?
    Actually, I use both - plastic and metal