Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligon's English Fern

Hey gang, just got a bunch of samples from Pehnhaligon's, first up was the English Fern that I've read so much about on the shaving boards. This is one mysterious scent. Now, I'm new to all this cologne stuff, but here goes:

When I first put this stuff on, it smelled like Pine Sol, even my wife commented that it was almost repulsive. Now it get's wierd, about a half hour later it smells pretty good, at least a heck of a lot better than when I originally put it on. I guess this is "dry down?" Dunno if I'd drop $100 bucks for a bottle of this stuff, but I have to admit, it's starting to grow on me. Anyone else have any experience with this stuff?

Steve

Default Re: Penhaligon's English Fern

Exquisite -- probably Penhaligon's best. I don't normally like fougeres aside all that much, but this one really does beautifully on me.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Hi tvlampboy, you know what I just realized? This stuff smells like the Extra Bergamot Earl Grey tea that I just so happen to be drinking..I took a sip and it hit me LOL.

Steve
    --------------------------------------
    Got to hand it to Penhaligon's, they are first class, even with their packaging.

Steve
    Last edited by desmoface; 13th October 2007 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

This is great. Before you buy, try Trumper's Wild Fern which is also very good.

Despite the fact that English Fern is strong-ish at first, I don't think it lasts very long.

Quote Originally Posted by desmoface View Post
    Hey gang, just got a bunch of samples from Pehnhaligon's, first up was the English Fern that I've read so much about on the shaving boards. Steve
    Ah yea the shaving boards...they like their Penhaligons dont they? Amusing to read their comments from time to time.
    -

Hi Joe, yeah, you know your right. I put some on my wrist a few hours ago and I can barely detect it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    This is great. Before you buy, try Trumper's Wild Fern which is also very good.

Despite the fact that English Fern is strong-ish at first, I don't think it lasts very long.
    --------------------------------------
    Yep, Floris too. With good reason I might add, they do make good products. I've got Floris shaving soap, and samples of their creams and they are first class, and then there's the way they smell WOOHOO!!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Ah yea the shaving boards...they like their Penhaligons dont they? Amusing to read their comments from time to time.
    Last edited by desmoface; 13th October 2007 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I really like English Fern's beginning and middle notes, but not so much the dry down. It reminded me of British Sterling, actually. I have only applied it once, but this was my experience. Perhaps I used too much.

Quote Originally Posted by desmoface View Post
    Hey gang, just got a bunch of samples from Pehnhaligon's,
    Where did you get the samples from? I'm thinking about getting Castile and Endiymon and want to sample them some more.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Hi Manicboy, here ye is: Penhaligon's By Request (USA & Canada)
    USA Toll Free: 1 877 PENHALIGONS (1 877 736 4254)

I just called that number and got a nice package from them. The endymion is very nice, by the way, haven't tried the castile yet.

Steve

Pine Sol? Are you sure you're not mistakenly confusing Blenheim Bouquet with this? It is undoubtably closer to pine sol than English Fern is.

English Fern smells very green, fresh, clean, herbal. Total Fougere. I'm still wanting to try Wild Fern before I commit to one or the other (or both!)

I don't reccommend blind buys very often, but TWO of them that were just mentioned are Castile and Endymion. I would reccommend blind-buying BOTH of these, and preferably at the same time! Castile=day, Endymion=night. Both among my highest-regarded fragrances. The reviews do a pretty good job of describing them both.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Pine Sol? Are you sure you're not mistakenly confusing Blenheim Bouquet with this? It is undoubtably closer to pine sol than English Fern is.

English Fern smells very green, fresh, clean, herbal. Total Fougere. I'm still wanting to try Wild Fern before I commit to one or the other (or both!)

I don't reccommend blind buys very often, but TWO of them that were just mentioned are Castile and Endymion. I would reccommend blind-buying BOTH of these, and preferably at the same time! Castile=day, Endymion=night. Both among my highest-regarded fragrances. The reviews do a pretty good job of describing them both.
    Yeah, BB is the one reminiscent of Pine Sol, but in an "I'm gonna kick your a$$" way.
    EF is delightful, perfect for summer. It fills my fougere slot.
    Castile to me is reminiscent of Acqua di Parma, with another nice note added.
    I too bought it blind, but then I am a Penhaligon's fanboy.
    Endymion, not so much though.

Would this be appropriate for winter wear? I received a sample a few days ago and, by God, this is great stuff. I would hate to buy a full bottle and have to wait another six months before I can wear it.

Mohamed

I never could tame english fern. It made me ill and nauseated.

2 fragrances that I have never been without for over 20 years is English Fern and Hammam Bouquet. They are both quitessential English scents.

Mo, I am a great believer in wearing whatever I want in whatever weather. To me EF is wearable all year round.

Concerning longevity. I find that English Fern is short lived as a sillage producer, but it remains as an excellent skin scent for several hours.

Quote Originally Posted by mohamed1 View Post
    Would this be appropriate for winter wear? I received a sample a few days ago and, by God, this is great stuff. I would hate to buy a full bottle and have to wait another six months before I can wear it.

Mohamed
    I agree with Prince Barry - English Fern is very wearable in a Midwestern winter. I've been there and done that.

thanks for the replies. unfortunately, i am having second thoughts about the English Fern. I wore it today, and for some reason it seemed rather sweet after a while. It started off well, but after 2-3 hours I could detect something that I absolutely do not like, and I'm not sure what it is. Pity, really. I could not wait to get a bottle. I suppose Trumper's Wild Fern is also out, given that most people have said it is quite similar to this Fern.

Mohamed

Which occasion would you wear English Fern? What about the longevity?

This is quite an old thread, but I am glad people are showing interest in English Fern. EF is my favorite Pens right now and probably my favorite classic fougere. I feel it is the ghost of the original Fougere Royale EdC. Lavender, geranium, sandalwood, moss, clover, tonka--everything that makes a great fougere (not of the aromatic sort).

Don't get me started me on English Fern. I am finding after some time in Basenotes, I've a predilection for fougeres AND I like the manly, proper and traditional British feel of Penhaligons scents. This is dandy scent for me. I tried this a month ago and bought it right away. The "wet shaver" crowd loves this scent- for good reason. I now wish I'd bought the 100ml bottle.

I also got the English Fern bar soap which is a great compliment to the frag. Oslo, many of these scents seem to vary person to person, but I get pretty good longevity out of it. Not quite the whole workday, but pretty close. It is very faint, but present, after 10 hours or so.

It will be one of my "go to" summer scents if it ever gets warm here in Los Angeles. (It didn't last year.)

It is somewhat similar to Sartorial, but greener and less formal. A scent that I would say is hard to over apply since it's pretty inoffensive and a tad soapy.

As to your original question about when to wear- I can't imagine an occasion it wouldn't be appropriate. I would say it is not very formal. I wear it to work. I wear it at play. A mostly casual scent for me, but I do think it will excel in hot weather.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 23rd May 2011 at 12:26 AM.

Mr. StylinLA is on the same wavelength I am when it comes to Penhaligon's English Fern. I bought it a month or so ago, and it has really grabbed me. I've been a big fan of R&G's fern soap for several years now. Penhaligon's fragrance version is like a natural extension of it.

Have to say, too: love the packaging. It's one of the few fragrances I store and display in its original box.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 23rd May 2011 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Mr. StylinLA is on the same wavelength I am when it comes to Penhaligon's English Fern. I bought it a month or so ago, and it has really grabbed me. I've been a big fan of R&G's fern soap for several years now. Penhaligon's fragrance version is like a natural extension of it.

Have to say, too: love the packaging. It's one of the few fragrances I store and display in it's original box.
    Get the soap.

Wear it guys! It smells wonderful. Possibly not for the 20ish guy, but when you are ready to smell great without having to smell sweet, then you are ready for this. Classic, clean and interesting. Just this gals opinion. I loved it on myself even.

ENGLISH FERN is really great. Nice to see it getting some love.

Basenotes Institution

I wore this yesterday and I think it is fantastic!

Fougeres have never been a category that I love. I mean there are a few that I own and love (Rive Gauche Pour Homme) and others that I enjoy even though they smell nothing like ferns (Jicky, for example) but most of the time fougeres sort of bore me. However this summer I've been drawn towards lavender scents and since fougeres contain lavender I'm starting to explore more of them.

This one, like Mouchoir de Monsieur, creates a quiet, restrained aura all around you filled with crisp greens, smooth aromatics and a tiny bit of woods. There is a sturdiness to its transparency that moves it away from the L'Artisans-Giacobetti's-Jean-Claude-Ellena's school of minimalism - which I truly admire.

I have yet to find a Penhaligon's that I love, but this one comes very close. I look forward to re-sampling it soon.