Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Gents, get those frags in the fridge!

Hi everyone I started this post just by saying that it was my experience, by following some of the pics I'd seen here, that my beloved lighter fragrances seemed more intense in spectrum, right out of the bottle. Especially Terre d'Hermes. I think, as I noted in another response, that there are, as with wine, coffee, or even CARS for that matter, a million fans, and a million different storage techniques. I'm always surprised when a guy just writes a simple thing and someone ends up getting mad. Weird. Anyway... So, I'll enjoy my "frags in the fridge" (written like that to conserve space in the title line... what sins I've committed), especially my brand new (bought yesterday) bottle of Sur Le Nil from Hermes. It smells sparkly and refreshes even more with the cold sensation. Sue me.
    Last edited by nthny; 14th October 2007 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed View Post
    What I can confirm is a DEFINITE improvement in terms of quality. Yes! Take a bottle that is about to turn, which begins to smell off and rancid right in the fragile topnotes, put it for two weeks in the fridge and ideally leave it there, you won't believe the results. I have seen it dozens of times. Fragrances that smelled just off could be used like there never was a problem.
    That's really strange - I've noticed that also about two seperate bottles, but I decided that my mind was playing tricks on me because I can't figure out scientifically how putting something in a fridge would reverse the deterioration of top notes going bad! How does that work?
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Keeping my fragrances on the shelf in the dark is good enough for me. On the one hand, yes, fragrances can be a form of art, but on the other hand, they're only fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    No a bad general philosophy to hold to sofresh, and eminently sensible, but I tend to be a little more careful based on the experience of 30 years of owning fragrances and owning what some would consider far too many of them (over 500 at last count). There are definitely some brands that will deteriorate more quickly than others: Chanel, Annick Goutal, Amouage, Jean Patou are a few that come to mind, so special care needs to given to those fragrances. Fragrances that aren't boxed need special attention. Many niche fragrances that use delicate natural essences and tend not to use preservatives need special care.

Also, chypres tend not to do as well as other fragrances. It's the oakmoss and the patchouli, two ingredients that need special attention and don't hold up well over long periods, especially with exposure to light. Lavender doesn't generally do as well. So while the "don't sweat the small stuff" works for most people, it's a different proposition if you have hundreds of fragrances and are a serious collector and aficiando, and there are many of those kinds of people on the board that need more considered, carefully differentiated information. What's the alternative dumb everything down to general principles? That will help some not others. I like to have all the facts at my disposal when making decisions; that's not a bad expectation to have. I try to post with that in mind also.

scentemental
    As I said, we should all do what we feel comfortable with. You are not the average consumer and user of fragrances...I'm sure you have an exceptional collection that is for preserving, but for the average guy with a few bottles here and there, there's no reason to get uptight about what's right and what's not.

I'll quote myself by saying "Most of us actually use our fragrances, and aren't planning on storing rarities for decades, so does it really matter?" If you don't fall into that category, then the statement obviously doesn't apply to you. "Most" doesn't mean "all", so you shouldn't think I was placing you in the realm of us common folk who don't have 30 years of experience collecting fine fragrances.
    Currently wearing: Arabie by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    As I said, we should all do what we feel comfortable with. You are not the average consumer and user of fragrances...I'm sure you have an exceptional collection that is for preserving, but for the average guy with a few bottles here and there, there's no reason to get uptight about what's right and what's not.

I'll quote myself by saying "Most of us actually use our fragrances, and aren't planning on storing rarities for decades, so does it really matter?" If you don't fall into that category, then the statement obviously doesn't apply to you. "Most" doesn't mean "all", so you shouldn't think I was placing you in the realm of us common folk who don't have 30 years of experience collecting fine fragrances.

I don't care what anyone does or not, but even with 30 fragrances, I know I have some bottles that get used quickly, and others that will take years before they'll be done, and by then they'll be going bad. Plus I buy most of my stuff used, which means it already has years of life taken off of it. And it gets really hot here in the summer 30-35 celsius, and I don't have (or want) air conditioning, and there are no cooler rooms than others.

I already had a couple of things start to go bad, and especially now that I have all these Lutens and Montales and Creeds, I just really feel like they should be refrigerated. If they go bad, it'll be a while before I can afford to replace them since my income is so patchy.

By now I prefer them refrigerated because the feel and smell is different too.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 15th October 2007 at 01:59 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    I don't care what anyone does or not, but even with 30 fragrances, I know I have some bottles that get used quickly, and others that will take years before they'll be done, and by then they'll be going bad. Plus I buy most of my stuff used, which means it already has years of life taken off of it. And it gets really hot here in the summer 30-35 celsius, and I don't have (or want) air conditioning, and there are no cooler rooms than others.

I already had a couple of things start to go bad, and especially now that I have all these Lutens and Montales and Creeds, I just really feel like they should be refrigerated. If they go bad, it'll be a while before I can afford to replace them since my income is so patchy.

Hey Caesar,

I definitely think keeping Creeds in the refrigerator is an excellent idea, especially if they come in the flacons, none of which I am convinced is air tight. In fact, yesterday I picked up a brand new 8.5 oz flacon of Santal Impérial
    from Neiman Marcus. It took them 5 weeks to get it in, but it finally came from the Paris store, no less, and it was in the new clear glass Creed bottle with the coat of arms everywhere. Brand spanking new, and unlike the one I ordered from Parfumsraffy and returned to Parfumsraffy two months ago it did not leak, but you could still smell the fragrance. If you can smell it, it must be coming from the bottle right? So much for air tight. BTW, the folks at Parfumsraffy confirmed, that according to their experience Creed flacons leaked more often than not.

My solution is to transfer all my Creeds from their flacons into 8 oz aluminum bottles--the ones that have the non-reactive coating; you can pick them up quite cheaply online, around a dollar a piece--and the half ounce that's left over into an atomizer for personal use. I had more trouble with Creeds and instability than any other house, except for perhaps the older bottles of Chanel men's fragrances, but once I started keeping them refrigerated, no problems at all.

I haven't had much experience with Montales or Lutens--that is I have never really kept them anywhere but inside my fridge--but I would imagine that they would certainly benefit from refrigeration, especially the Montales, which are based predominantly on more volatile natural essences.

I have to say, while I don't personally notice a significant difference with the way fragrances smell straight out of the fridge--I think kbe's account of how quickly they readjust is an eminently sensible one--I do like the feel of the cold spray on the skin. Very refreshing, especially right after a shower.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 15th October 2007 at 02:48 AM.

That's understandable if you've had things go bad...that's never actually happened to me. Like I said, to each their own...and if you like the way they feel & smell when cooled, then that's great.
    Currently wearing: Arabie by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    I have to say, while I don't personally notice a significant difference with the way fragrances smell straight out of the fridge--I think kbe's account of how quickly they readjust is an eminently sensible one--I do like the feel of the cold spray on the skin. Very refreshing, especially right after a shower.

scentemental
    Actually I should clarify about refrigeration changing the smell - I just mean how it smells in the bottle, and as it's being sprayed. Once it's on, as kbe said it goes straight to body temperature in 5 seconds. It's just that if you smell the bottle in the fridge, the topnotes get very pronounced which makes sniffing the bottles more fun. Chypre Rouge is heaven out of the fridge.

Certain fragrances like Orange Verte smell worse out of the fridge - they get too sharp and lose their "living" feel. But again, once it's on the skin it's the same things. Other fragrances get muted when they're cold, like Ambre Sultan - I can barely smell it in the bottle at all when it's refrigerated, but my little 15mL vial that I cary around is really pungent in the bottle.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Actually I should clarify about refrigeration changing the smell - I just mean how it smells in the bottle, and as it's being sprayed. Once it's on, as kbe said it goes straight to body temperature in 5 seconds. It's just that if you smell the bottle in the fridge, the topnotes get very pronounced which makes sniffing the bottles more fun. Chypre Rouge is heaven out of the fridge.

Certain fragrances like Orange Verte smell worse out of the fridge - they get too sharp and lose their "living" feel. But again, once it's on the skin it's the same things. Other fragrances get muted when they're cold, like Ambre Sultan - I can barely smell it in the bottle at all when it's refrigerated, but my little 15mL vial that I cary around is really pungent in the bottle.
    Caesar,

You're a man after my own heart. Love the attention to detail. In your honor, I am going to sit down over the next few days and smell a bunch of my scents straight out of the bottle straight out of the fridge. It looks like I'll be in for a few surprises.

scentemental

Ok some dumb questions but do you guys take the bottle out of the box when you put it in the fridge? Doesn't this expose it to more light? Also I can't have a fridge dedicated to perfumes so is it ok to put them in my regular fridge with my stinky foods? I've never tried putting my fragrances in the fridge but it seems to be that the majority think this is the way to go. Any advice would be helpful.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure it's UV rays from the sun that damage your perfumes, not light from a bulb. Also, remember that your fridge light turns off when you close the fridge! I actually keep mine in a food fridge, but I make sure it's clean and have several arm and hammer baking sodas.

I did have some food get a little stinky once or twice, and I got scared about the fragrances (particularly ones that have to caps), but it really doesn't seem to affect them at all. I took a couple out to smell the next day to see if there was any food smell that I might not have noticed before, but there wasn't.

This is my experience anyhow.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    Ok some dumb questions but do you guys take the bottle out of the box when you put it in the fridge? Doesn't this expose it to more light?
    A few seconds of light periodically when you take food or the bottle out is not going to hurt the juice. I think keeping your frequent goto-s in the box in an enclosed area like a drawer, fridg, etc. is overkill. I only keep my backups in a box, the rest I just let stand naked in my fridg.

Also I can't have a fridge dedicated to perfumes so is it ok to put them in my regular fridge with my stinky foods?
    You may want to keep a box of baking soda in there to soak up the odors. I doubt you'll have to worry about the frags picking up any food smells but you may have to worry about your food picking up frag smells/taste. Food smells aren't going to get into sealed spray bottles but it could be a problem for stopper-type bottles - best to put them into an additional container (tupperware, etc.) or leave them out of the fridg.

I keep my frags in a mini-fridg with no food. Before making a few mods to the fridg, it would smell heavily of perfume whenever I'd open the door. Being in an enclosed area, the frag scents would just accumulate - which really isn't a problem if you're not storing food along side. Later I added a small 5v computer fan inside the fridg to circulate the air (to keep the temp more uniform throughout) and I also added a moisture absorber (damp rid) to keep the humidity low. I did this because I have a good stock of backups that I keep in their boxes and I don't want the boxes deteriorating due to moisture (refrigerator interiors are very humid). A pleasant side effect of the moisture absorber was that it also completely removed the scent buildup. My frag fridg now has no scent whatsoever when I open the door.

I've never tried putting my fragrances in the fridge but it seems to be that the majority think this is the way to go.
    Normal fridges are too cold judging from the consensus here on BN and cited experts' recommendations. They probably won't damage your juice but may cause some temporary adverse affects like sediment or particle-separation. Maybe some other members have experienced good results (or at least not bad results) using a standard food fridg to store their frags.

Quote Originally Posted by DrOfTheSoul View Post
    Has Luca Turin said anything about this subject? Being a biophysicist I think he would have a more definitive opinion.
    As stated in an earlier posts, the Osmothèque is Versailles (directed by Jean Kerléo) maintains many of the world's rarest perfumes. The approximate temperatures they use are 10 degrees celsius (50 fahrenheit) for most fragrances, and 4 degrees celsius (39.2 degrees fahrenheit) for pure citrus.

I received this information directly from the people who manage the storage facility at the Osmothèque.

Regarding Luca Turin, all I could find is something from his 2005 blog. He's responding to someone about whether or not she should keep her citrus fragrance in the refrigerator:

"Tania, the Osmothèque in Versailles keeps them at 4 degrees C, and if that's good enough for Jean Kerléo, it's OK for me.
    Posted by: luca turin | September 30, 2005 at 04:47 PM"
    Last edited by pluran; 21st October 2007 at 06:12 AM.

I don't keep my frags in a fridge nor do I intend to because its not important to me to do so. However, it is really hard to argue with the methods from the folks at Osmothèque.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)