Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Gentleman

Good morning, Gents!

Another rainy, cold fall day in Ottawa, Ontario. So, a great day for fragrance purchase.
    But before I do head out I would appreciate hearing from those of you who have Gentleman by Givenchy. I'm curious about its longevity. Though I have read the reviews I wasn't terribly sure how it fares for duration.

Thanks & Bon weekend!
    Graffham

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman

Well, I hve no problem with it's lasting power. If I apply it in the moorning, I can still smell it when I come back to home or hotel around 18:00-19:00 o'clock. Infact I have to be carefull on amount I apply. It is a powerful fragrance. If you overdo it, then it can bother you and the others around you.

I really love this frag, it has good longevity and good sillage. In fat I wore it yesterday and my Mom said, "Eh, what are you wearing you smell like a girl." Needless to say I was stunned and appalled by her remark, I love Gentleman and find it to be very masculine!

It lasts all day on me as well. Very masculine fragrance in my opinion.

One of the few fragrances I own that could go a full 24 hours. A powerhouse of patchouli. I don't wear it that often because it is so pwerful, but when I do, I invariably enjoy it.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

All day longevity for me as well.

It's real classics. For mature men. Very good longevity.
    Last edited by DreamerII; 13th October 2007 at 05:46 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

smeller

Very powerful, no doubt. One of my favorites (vintage or modern).

Basenotes Institution

I have been eyeing Gentleman for a month or so, ever since someone recommended it to me when I posted that thread about suggestions for cinnamon fragrances.

Does anyone find the cinnamon very prominent in Gentleman? I assume from the comments/reviews that GG was more about vetiver, patchouli and leather/civet?

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    Good morning, Gents!

Another rainy, cold fall day in Ottawa, Ontario. So, a great day for fragrance purchase.
    When is it NOT a great day for a fragrance purchase?

I love the patch, but Gentleman was way...too...much on me. Turned me into an instant 60's hippie!

Last edited by knightowl; 14th October 2007 at 06:29 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have been eyeing Gentleman for a month or so, ever since someone recommended it to me when I posted that thread about suggestions for cinnamon fragrances.

Does anyone find the cinnamon very prominent in Gentleman? I assume from the comments/reviews that GG was more about vetiver, patchouli and leather/civet?
    I don't get a lot of cinnamon from Gentleman. Mainly patchouli, honey and civet.

No. No, I do not find cinnamon to be prominent in GG. Not unless you are using "cinnamon" as an alternative spelling for the word "civet."
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    I don't get a lot of cinnamon from Gentleman. Mainly patchouli, honey and civet.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    No. No, I do not find cinnamon to be prominent in GG. Not unless you are using "cinnamon" as an alternative spelling for the word "civet."
    That's what I thought (I remember smelling GG years ago) - thanks guys.

Graffham and MP:

First of all, the cinnamon plays serious second fiddle to the patchouli which is what this is pretty much about. It is almost non-existent.

Second, this is a super powerful fragrance. I can not imagine anyone thinking it has longevity problems. Some would say, yes, it has longevity problems...it last too long....

I love it and have it, but don't wear it out much. Not a work fragrance, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 13th October 2007 at 09:40 PM.

I love Givenchy Gentleman, I get 24 hours, or more, of longevity from it. I recently saw 3.4oz bottles at Costco for $50, which is a pretty good deal. I was contemplating adding a second bottle of GG to my collection, but I don't need one now.

I don't notice much cinnamon from GG, I get a lot more in Creed's BDG, but it is noticable in the opening, after that it's patchouli, leather and civet.

I wouldn't really wear this one to work, although maybe if you gave it enough time to evolve beforehand and sprayed very conservatively you could get away with it; I think it's more for evening wear.
    Last edited by Aaron01; 13th October 2007 at 11:19 PM.

I wear GG to work a lot and get compliments on it almost every time i do

Where are SixCats and Coleman?? Those guys LOVE Gentleman Givenchy!! I'm sure they could tell you all you need to know LOL!!

I remember trying this classic once. I also remember thinking of how much mileage you could get out of one bottle!! It's almost like Super Glue: "Just a dab will do 'ya".

Its one of the longer lasting frags that I own.

I would definitely say that its longevity is a strong point.

Hmm... this one is a strange beast. It's the only cologne that I've ever returned, but that doesn't mean it's bad stuff, it just wasn't for me... it just didn't sit right on my skin.

Even with a small spray, I just couldn't get over this weird stale cardboard / grahm cracker vibe that I got out of it. The cinnamon in certianly there, but it's subtle and well-blended with the other notes. Mine was a newer bottle, so I guess I'll never get to experience the older blend's civet notes, but there was quite a bit of "animalistic" character to the fragrance. It's easy to see how people like this one, but I just wish I can find an older bottle to see what it was like back in its heyday.
    Last edited by Stuffman; 14th October 2007 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman View Post
    Hmm... this one is a strange beast. It's the only cologne that I've ever returned, but that doesn't mean it's bad stuff, it just wasn't for me... it just didn't sit right on my skin.

Even with a small spray, I just couldn't get over this weird stale cardboard / grahm cracker vibe that I got out of it. The cinnamon in certianly there, but it's subtle and well-blended with the other notes. Mine was a newer bottle, so I guess I'll never get to experience the older blend's civet notes, but there was quite a bit of "animalistic" character to the fragrance. It's easy to see how people like this one, but I just wish I can find an older bottle to see what it was like back in its heyday.
    I'd have to agree here, in that it's not for me. I don't know what notes in GG bother me (maybe it's the patchouli & civet) but it just gets up my nose and sticks in my throat. No doubt, it smells like a classic, but not for me. Still deciding what to do with my bottle.

QE

Has anyone else noticed similarity between GG and Michael Kors for Men? (I think I read somewhere it was the same nose, but I wouldn't swear to it.)

Quote Originally Posted by radix023 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed similarity between GG and Michael Kors for Men? (I think I read somewhere it was the same nose, but I wouldn't swear to it.)
    No, besides the fact that they both have patchouli in them... MC has much less, and in my opinion, is much better blended. MC is a "modern classic", whereas GG just a "classic classic."

Givenchy Gentleman is awesome! It lasts 10+ hours on me! A bit old fashioned and heavy on patchouly, but classy to the extreme and the best part is when the cinammon note appears and softens the patchouly, making a great powdery combination...
    It took a while for me to get used to it and see its beauty... It's a beautiful fragrance indeed.