Code of Conduct

Default Good Everyday Cologne for a 18 Year Old?

I am trying to decide between Chrome by Azzure or Envy by Gucci. Which one does the majority prefer for a 18 year old?
    Last edited by Newwww; 14th October 2007 at 02:03 AM.

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Good Everyday Cologne for a 18 Year Old?

Devin, by Aramis.

Have you sniffed any prior to this and could shed some light on your taste? You will probably find what you are looking for in the nearest department store and the best way is to sniff them all and then decide which one YOU like.

Issey Miyake

Any fresh scent would do the trick. They are popular though. Check my wardrobe and im 18 too, and i mainly use john varvatos.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    Have you sniffed any prior to this and could shed some light on your taste? You will probably find what you are looking for in the nearest department store and the best way is to sniff them all and then decide which one YOU like.
    Totally agree.

I'm far removed from 18, but in any case I'd say Envy is such a lush oriental that it won't work for everyday. Maybe "everyday in cooler weather that I want to chase women", but if that's not the case I'd find something else of no less quality.

I've only smelled Chrome on paper and remember it was nice and not too loud or big in any way.

I'd suggest you try out Dunhill Edition if you haven't. It's not terribly expensive, it works (for me) in most weather, and it's amazing stuff.
    Last edited by AceyMan; 14th October 2007 at 03:39 AM. Reason: phrasing

gucci envy is nice but i can't imagine it as an everyday fragrance... maybe thats just me though

Blog Entries

I'd suggest one of the Banana Republic scents as an "everyday" cologne. Slate & Black Walnut are very nice, inoffensive scents that are good for everyday wear, I'd think.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

between the 2 you list, chrome is the scent that you could wear more. Envy is pretty heavy, not suitable for hot days. I'd suggest GIT by Creed or MI by Creed for the kind of scent that you could wear year round and still be fine.

Cool Re: Good Everyday Cologne for a 18 Year Old?

I am also--oh, slightly older that 18, though I prefer to think of myself as a recycled teenager.

Allright, Neww, here's the scoop.

Both Chrome and Envy (which sound like a disease and one of the 7 deadly sins) are way overused-- and you might end up smelling like the rest of the herd. Envy is less boring, but you'll suffer in the heat, as Agent Zero pointed out.
    ----------------------------------------

OK, of the ones suggested:

No, not Issey Miyake (bashful, you are a baaad girl) nor Issey Miyake for men.

Devin by Aramis would make you into one macho and unique 18 year old, however I'd give Dunhill Edition the better recommendation. It's classy, masculine, and also has a " You're messing with the wrong guy." vibe to it.

John Varvatos is an all round babe magnet. Hell, I even get compliments from lesbians and little old ladies. Jeez--! What's with women and tamarind tree leaves?

ohhmygod has the right idea. Just make sure you get the original in the black bottle. It'll just say " John Varvatos " NOT the brown bottle " Vintage John Varvatos"

Get it? Got it? Good!

And welcome to the madness.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I'd say there is a pretty broad range depending on which vibe you want to give off.

My 17 y.o. nephew from Manhattan, who seems as up to date as a fashion reporter on all that is latest and most current, personally wears, among others (spoiled brat/ urban consumer that he is) Blenheim Bouquet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post

No, not Issey Miyake (bashful, you are a baaad girl) nor Issey Miyake for men.

Mario
    Why? Girls LOVE this stuff!

dple, as much as they loved Acqua di Gio?

OK, you've got a point, Granted. But while Varvatos may not be as innovatively earth shattering, as the hype suggested when it first came out, I believe it to be--- at the very least, quite wearable and attractive to the fair sex.

Issey Miyaki PH belongs in the counter at Sepphora--let it stay there!

It's been advertised like mad, so the girls that got grossed out with A*men or Le Male, or thrown a curve by Curve, or axed by Axe might find it enchanting. Why shouldn't they? What else have they smelled?

IMHO, it's a unisex citrus floral, that is about as exciting as Armani Black Code, Marc Jacobs and the other stand by snoozfests at the mall.

It ain't bad but it's not--- well, too many better frags to mention. There are some things even I won't do to get laid.

Naturally, this is simply my subjective, personal and infallible opinion. If you really like it, more power to you. Wear it in good health and enjoy.

-------------------------

Oaksbluff, I like your bratty nephew already--and that reminds me I'm out of Penhaligon's BB. So he's only 17 and he found his way to this gem, eh?

Tell him to start submitting articles to Details and GQ.

The kid's got taste. Expensive ones, but taste. God help his parents.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Everyday scent? For a 18 year old? It's Acqua di Giò.

Chanel's Platinum Egoiste... I can imagine that going down pretty well in your circles mate

I would say that anything from american brands e.g. Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, Donna Karan or Ralph Lauren would work here.
    Out of the ones you mentioned I think Chrome is better for everyday use. Though I love Envy.

Blog Entries

It ain't bad but it's not--- well, too many better frags to mention. There are some things even I won't do to get laid.
    Mario, with all respect, the original poster said nothing about wanting a cologne to get laid . He's a 17 year old looking for an "everyday" cologne, which I envisioned him wearing to school & work. I think something like L'eau D'Issey would fit that description just fine. It smells nice & it's light enough to use as a daily cologne. Something like John Varvatos, even though I agree it does smell awesome, is more suited toward evenings out. Same with his original inquiry...I think Chrome would make a good daily cologne, & Envy a good evening cologne.

First of all I must say, forget about Gucci Envy! Not only it's not a good option for daily wear, but also it's too heavy for any ocassion inside the BUILDINGS!!!
    I admit these ones:
    Acqua Di Gio
    L'eau D'issey
    Azzaro Chrome
    and let me add Dolce and Gabbana to the list. It's better for evenings but I find it to be an "All Ocassions" perfume!
    Last edited by msi_21; 15th October 2007 at 05:04 PM.

John Varvatos, while gorgeous, is definitely more suited for evenings out. It's more probably more heavy than what you're looking for.

From a 19 year old, I think you'd dig Guess Man, Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme, Sean John Unforgivable, Chrome, Dolce and Gabbana, Very Sexy (and Very Sexy II) For Him by Victoria's Secret, Bvlgari Aqva. There are more, but.. yeah.

Stay away from Envy, Hollister, Abercrombie, Acqua di Gio(too common).

i'll second PE, as well as curve crush. No one wears it, it's youthful, and damn good.

Off-Scenter

...Devin by Aramis would make you into one macho and unique 18 year old, however I'd give Dunhill Edition the better recommendation. It's classy, masculine, and also has a " You're messing with the wrong guy." vibe to it...

Mario
    LOL

I wore Devin at 18 - when it was pretty much new. Never thought I was a "macho and unique" 18 year-old. Well maybe unique. Interestingly enough, I got a lot of un-asked for male attention at that age. I also met my wife.

Oh to be young and pretty again...

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    Mario, with all respect, the original poster said nothing about wanting a cologne to get laid . He's a 17 year old looking for an "everyday" cologne, which I envisioned him wearing to school & work. I think something like L'eau D'Issey would fit that description just fine. It smells nice & it's light enough to use as a daily cologne. Something like John Varvatos, even though I agree it does smell awesome, is more suited toward evenings out. Same with his original inquiry...I think Chrome would make a good daily cologne, & Envy a good evening cologne.
    CologneJunkie: You're right, of course. He didn't ask about a babe magnet,
    I just didn't want him reading about John Varvatos in the graffiti scrawled on the walls of his High School gym.

I disagree about Varvatos being only an evening scent. I think it works quite well in daytime-- applied in lighter amounts, but if one must label it either day or evening, then yes, evening wins.

Now, I see from your wardrobe that you really like Issey Miyaki for men, so this does not apply to you, NOR TO ANY OTHER POSTERS WHO HAVE LISTED FRAGRANCES THEY TRULY LIKE.

But, I'm getting a bad feeling in this thread. He said he's 18, not that he's in Special Ed, folks.

And he's asked us for our opinion and help. Are we not getting a bit condescending or bland with our suggestions?

I mean, if a 17 year old can wear Blenheim . . .

Pax 'all

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Acqua di Parma sounds like something I would wear when I was that young.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Blog Entries

And he's asked us for our opinion and help. Are we not getting a bit condescending or bland with our suggestions?

Oh of course, just because he's 18 doesn't mean he can't wear good quality frags! I totally agree. I'm just thinking of scents that would be "classroom appropriate" & in my opinion that equates to something nice, but non-offensive. I wouldn't want to be choking on a classmate's scent of choice while trying to pay attention in class, ya know? Maybe I'm just taking his initial post on wanting an "everyday" cologne too literally.

Plus...I don't know about anyone else, but when I was 18 years old I didn't exactly have a lot of dough to be spending on fragrances. I remember being that age & saving the money from my part time job to get a bottle of ck be .

I wish the original poster would come back & weigh in on all of this .

Off-Scenter

...But, I'm getting a bad feeling in this thread. He said he's 18, not that he's in Special Ed, folks.

Right you are!

There are plenty of affordable ($50 and under), high quality scents out there that aren't bland aquatics and wouldn't smell stuffy on a younger adult. To mention just a few:

The remaining Aramis scents, including Tuscany and Devin.

L'Anarchiste.

Declaration (about $30 from online discounters).

Fahrenheit.

The Molinard men's scents (under $50 at discounters).

Some of the Yves St. Laurent scents...the list goes on.

Age 18 doesn't mean one needs to be bland and conformist. If anything, it's a good time to be adventuresome and express some individuality.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 17th October 2007 at 02:54 AM.

this guy is EIGHTEEN and people are suggesting Creeds? Anyway, between the two, ANYTHING but Chrome. ANYTHING... please trust me that that can be a real people repellent. I've had it ruin dinners before, barely able to taste my food.

Allure Sport - Perfect for the 18 year old male and very versatile.

end of topic

I suggest for an 18 year old:

Mugler Cologne: Daytimes/Class/The Gym/Errands
    Dolce & Gabbana: More of an evening scent, but still universal.
    Gucci Envy: You already talked about it, and it shouldn't be TOO popular for your age. If you can pull it off, girls will devour you. Night scent / Fall & Winter or cool to cold evenings.
    Fuel for Life: Sweet and masculine - just sexy... Every girl will enjoy this. Light application is wearable for daytime.

You can use Mugler for just about anything. Great daytime scent. Envy would be your power evening scent for special occasions - or just chasing ladies. D&G is pretty universal and VERY well liked by most people. And finally Fuel for Life will be perfect for evenings AND class (imo)..
    Last edited by Regis Philbin; 22nd January 2008 at 02:50 PM.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.