Code of Conduct

Default Any Good Similar Colognes too CREED SMW or Green Irish Tweed?

I have heard so many good things about Creed's SMW and Green Irish Tweed. There is no way to purchase it around were I live and I cannot buy it online. Are there any similar colognes that smell similar to either one of these Creed scents?

Thank you

Default Re: Any Good Similar Colognes too CREED SMW or Green Irish Tweed?

The problem I have seen is that while usually you find something rather close, the absemce of the ambergris note (that winds it's way through any of the Creeds I've ever smelled) makes it obvious to you that it's really not a Creed scent. This is only a problem if you have smelled the Creed scents before. If you have not but just wanted the closest (affordable) thing, then may I offer:

For the SMW, I have notices that Chrome by Azzaro is rather close. And if your skin type is just musky enough, CKone will give a close SMW impression as well.

For the GIT, Curve by Claiborne has a replica 'wood-amber' accord in the basenotes that mimics the GIT drydown, but only to an extent. Some say Cool Water by Davidoff is close, but I think CW is somewhat fresher.

Good Luck and have fun!!!!

Thrax

Ya know, I just heard yesterday that Cool Water smells like GIT. Anyone else hear that?

Whatever you do, please don't buy Curve thinking it's going to be like Green Irish Tweed! That might be the biggest stretch I've ever heard (though I'm currently finding some similarities if the dry downs for Tea for Two and Dior Homme so who knows...)
    Bond No. 9 Chez Bond is very similar and many people think Cool Water is similar as well. Of the three, Chez Bond is my favorite. There's something in Cool Water that I don't care for but I can't put my finger on it.
    Nothing really comes close to SMW for me though. It's pretty unique to my nose.
    Why can't you order online? As long as you have a mailbox!...
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I haven't come across anything that smells remotely like either. Cool water smells nothing like GIT IMO, and CK1 & SMW? Nowhere near. I'm a huge SMW fan, while I really can't stand CK1 - it smells like hairspray to me. I've read about the similarities and to some they must seem similar, but I'm genuinely baffled by these comments (without wanting to cause anyone upset).
    Current favourites: Silver Mountain Water - Terre d'Hermes - Erolfa - Fou d'Absinthe - Sequoia

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    Ya know, I just heard yesterday that Cool Water smells like GIT. Anyone else hear that?
    Good news, thanx!

I remember thinking when I sampled Floris J.F., that it smelled somewhat like GIT.

These similarity threads can be useful but often I find the similarities way off. I can barely imagine how metalic Chrome, which makes me (literally) gag could be in the same soft tea, fruit, natural musky green scent of the Creed.

The best thing to do in your situation is try to buy something you just love based on its own merits in the same general category. Some have said there are slight similarities of greenness between SMW and Egoiste Platinum by Chanel. I can see that a tiny bit. It's nothing alike, but I would suggest Eau d' Cartier Concentree for its softer refreshing greenness, or one I just tried yesterday, Hermes Orange vert. They both have that Creed QUALITY smell (though some would disagree with me about the Eau d'Cartier) while being altogether different. Those three are pretty much available anywhere.

Basenotes Institution

I disagree guys. I think Cool Water smells very similar to Green Irish Tweed.

Unfotunately, I don't like either one.

I think layering Coolwater and Curve is the closest you'll get to GIT! As much as I hate to promote it, Sean John's Unforgivable is a ripped off Creed MI which is one of their best. I couldn't bring myself to get it on principle and went for the Creed.

I never smelled GIT before; however, one of the reviews I had read indicated it was "similar" to Issey Miyake l'eau d'issey pour homme?

Quote Originally Posted by gregmech26 View Post
    I never smelled GIT before; however, one of the reviews I had read indicated it was "similar" to Issey Miyake l'eau d'issey pour homme?
    If anything, Issey is closer to SMW, but not really. I can confirm the closeness of Cool Water to GIT, but I can't really say/remember which one is better. Funny how some of the most popular Creeds seem to have viable designer analogs (HIM, GIT, SMW, OV, MI).
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 15th October 2007 at 09:28 AM.

Cool Water (Davidoff)...is not reaching GIT...no way...maybe some topnotes are similiar.
    Bond No. 9 (Hamptons) and SMW...they are both nice...same catagory.
    Floris JFK got bit from GIT :-)

I can't think of two fragrances more different than Issey and GIT so I see what people mean about these comparisons!

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja View Post
    If anything, Issey is closer to SMW, but not really. I can confirm the closeness of Cool Water to GIT, but I can't really say/remember which one is better. Funny how some of the most popular Creeds seem to have viable designer analogs (HIM, GIT, SMW, OV, MI).

I didn't want to interfere in this several times discussed topic, but may I alter a bit this 'funny' remark : funny, how many people think (regardless if designer, niche, cliche, whatever) that scents like say Cool Water ARE viable analogs to Creed scents.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I didn't want to interfere in this several times discussed topic, but may I alter a bit this 'funny' remark : funny, how many people think (regardless if designer, niche, cliche, whatever) that scents like say Cool Water ARE viable analogs to Creed scents.

Peace
    My point was just that even with Creed buyers you seem to have a lot of people opting for some things that are not THAT eccentric niche-y, because there are some (viable or not) popular, well-established desinger scents being somewhat like those five Creeds. I find that interesting. Now, CW or GIT , I don't really care.

It sounds like you have never even smelled GIT or SMW...so why are you looking for something similar? If you have no access to these scents, then just work with what you do have access to and find some things that you like.

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja View Post
    My point was just that even with Creed buyers you seem to have a lot of people opting for some things that are not THAT eccentric niche-y, because there are some (viable or not) popular, well-established desinger scents being somewhat like those five Creeds. I find that interesting. Now, CW or GIT , I don't really care.
    Ok, somewhat. Let's stay at that, my friend

PS. a friend of mine first time in his life smelled a Creed, namely GIT, which I sent to him on a paperstrip, packed in some foil - far from being a professional method, true. He was so shocked that on wednesday he will travel abroad, into Vienna because he's so desparate that he has lived 30 years in love with good scents and yet not knowing that things like Creed do exist in the world. In our country he has no access to it, he would go after it.
    You may say he's snobbish. I know he's tried Cool Water and does know the difference. Of course CW may be a better scent, tastes -just like scents- are different.

MPG "GARRIGUE" on me is similar To Creed GREEN IRISH TWEED
    Trumper's "SKYE" similar to Creed SMW