Code of Conduct

Default Fougere Bengale by Parfum d'Empire

Guys, a sample of this came with my recent order of a bottle of Black Tourmaline from Luckyscent. I wasn't too excited because Iv'e not liked any Parum d"Empire frags. Fougere Bengale is awesome and my wife said to order a bottle upon first whiff. I'm like most of you and get samples regularly. My tab for samples at Perfume Court runs about $200.00 a month besides whatever I spend at Luckyscent. The point is many samples and very few purchases. I don't rave about many frags, but this one gets a rave. Get a sample and enjoy. Jock_For_Scents - You need to try this one. I think it's your kind of scent.

Default Re: Fougere Bengale by Parfum d'Empire

Sounds positive. Have a little more info on what it's like, perhaps? Suitable for hot or cold weather, what kind of notes?
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Basenotes Institution

I am dying to try this...

The descriptions I read made it sound like a gourmand/fougere - which sounds like something I've never encountered...I think.

I think it sounds great for the coming autumn/winter.

The notes are: Lavender,tarragon,patchouli,geranium,tobacco,tonka bean beans,vanilla

It opens with a fresh lavender typical of a Fougere and moves on to a hint of something slightly spicy constantly changing between tarragon, gingerbread and somtimes liquorce or curry with some sweet tobacco sneeking in from time to time. Sensual and animalic. It's a hard one to pin down, and that's what is so much fun. When I go to whiff my wrist I get something a little bit different each time. The scent is grounded by patchouli, tonka beans and vanilla for some great lasting power. This is classy and sophisticated. It can be worn by CEO at a board meeting or a guy out for the day in blue jeans.

If you like Le Dandy by D'Orsay or Haarlem by Bond #9 I think this will appeal to you.

I like this line, escpecially Ambre Russe and Cuir Ottoman.

love my sample. At first I was afraid it would be like Diors Eau Noire , looking at the color of the juice and the "indian spicemarket theme"and all, but it's nothing like it.
    Don't get me wrong, I love Eau Noire, but I have to be in the right mood to wear it, because of the strong lavender, curry note I get from it. Fougere Bengale is spicy and sweet, but at the same time, not very full and heavy.Could easily be worn anytime.
    At first, I do get a lot of lavender and spice, not unlike Eau Noire, but it changes quickly into a whole differend fragrance. What remains is a comfortable sweet,spicy drydown.

On the other hand ,haters of spicy, sweet,gourmand fragrances, stay away from this one, you will be disapointed.

On my right arm I have the Equistrius, which is, no less interesting, upon first spray. Light flowery note, I guess the orris, with a light , sweet gourmand touch. Very airy ,light and elegant gourmand.

Still, I think, Ambre Russe is way more complex and remains my nr.1 favorite. These two come close though

Here's a good review on the fragrances : http://perfumeposse.com/2007/09/18/e...investigation/
    Last edited by eric; 15th October 2007 at 02:37 PM.

This is a totally concrete gourmand scent It smells very like the topping on a coffee cake.

This is Bangladesh by way of Sara Lee. And I would think it'd be classified as an amber. I like it actually. Not sure whether it's me or the drydown but hours later gets a little salty and that's a good thing.
    Last edited by supermarky; 22nd October 2007 at 02:26 AM.

I'm still not sure if I want to buy these new ones.

If I had to choose I'd pick the Bengale, the Equistrius is a bit too feminine for me. Think Dior Homme, but more powdery Iris, more flowery and more sweet.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky View Post
    This is a totally concrete gourmand scent It smells very like the topping on a coffee cake.

This is Bangladesh by way of Sara Lee. And I would think it'd be classified as an amber. I like it actually. Not sure whether it's me or the drydown but hours later gets a little salty and that's a good thing.
    I love gourmands with salty accords in them - Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes has this. Wonderful news!

I'm officially going bananas, about trying this. I think I'm going to buy a decant of it, if Tom Ford for Men Extreme isn't released this week...sounds like a good excuse, right?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Stopped by Aedes today and gave it a spray. It is wonderful. My first reaction was Eau Noir, which I dislike, but then then the tobacco started to creep out. It isn't as dense as Eau Noir. In a way, I think it's closer to Tobacco Vanille with a healthy dose of spice on top. It's also related to Eau Lente. Well done!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 24th October 2007 at 09:19 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Stopped by Aedes today and gave it a spray. It is wonderful. My first reaction was Eau Noir, which I dislike, but then then the tobacco started to creep out. It isn't as dense as Eau Noir. In a way, I think it's closer to Tobacco Vanille with a healthy dose of spice on top. It's also related to Eau Lente. Well done!
    Want. This. Even. More. Now. That's it - I'm ordering a decant from somebody RIGHT NOW!

-- Jack Kerouac

Off-Scenter

Well I'm wearing Fougere Bengale right now, and it's pretty nice. I'll lob a review in once the stuff is in the directory.

My first reactions were quite positive, but overnight the test strip transformed its heady exotica into Rice-a-Roni's twin sister.

Off-Scenter

My first reactions were quite positive, but overnight the test strip transformed its heady exotica into Rice-a-Roni's twin sister.
    Interesting. I never bother with test strips anymore. They rarely seem to have anything to do with how a scent smells on my skin.

I have to agree - after a few experiences with samples from Aedes, I found this initially intriguing but ultimately too gourmand, in the wrong kind way: many hours of the sort of curry nimbus that hangs about your clothes after a meal at an Indian restaurant. And there is also, as Ruggles says, that very odd chicken stock/Rice-a-Roni note, which I vaguely remember someone's once ascribing to fenugreek. May just be my skin, but I'd find this one difficult to wear.
    Last edited by Morgan Creek; 26th October 2007 at 09:13 PM.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Creek View Post
    I have to agree - after a few experiences with samples from Aedes, I found this initially intriguing but ultimately too gourmand, in the wrong kind way: many hours of the sort of curry nimbus that hangs about your clothes after an meal at an Indian restaurant. And there is, as Ruggles says, a very odd chicken stock/Rice-a-Roni note, which I vaguely remember someone's once ascribing to fenugreek. May just be my skin, but I'd find this one difficult to wear.
    Interesting - I don't see fenugreek in the notes and even though I don't like it in Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens I have found other scents with fenugreek quite tolerable.

Love your adjective MorganCreek, 'curry nimbus'.

-- Jack Kerouac

Off-Scenter

The curry reference is right on the mark. I suppose it's a rather literal means of evoking colonial India, but I don't find it so disturbing as MorganCreek does. Think: Diptyque's L'Autre takes a shower and then sips a mocha latte.

Little bit too assertive and harsh. I'll stick to Ambre Narguille.

Basenotes Institution

So - I finally got my hot little hands of the FB samples from Luckyscent and I gave them a full wearing today. Such a strange, fascinating and categorically challenged scent this is:

- The top notes immediately smell like Eau Noire. Funny thing is, there is NO immortelle flower in this stuff. Amazing how that happens, huh? It is an olfactory trick, but there it is.
    - The sweetness derived in FB is caramel/vanilla based, yet grounded in a middle eastern spice base. Imagine a stove top that you are standing over: In one pot is a saucepan with melted caramel, with real vanilla beans and spices and in the other pot is curried chicken cooking. The scents are mixing together. This pretty much describes this part of FB
    - If anyone got a food-esque impression from Arabie (like I did) then you will probably get the same impression from FB. Unlike Arabie, FB isn't dried or candied sweetness, rather warm and baked sweetness.
    - I got the scent of licorice this morning for a couple of minutes -black licorice sticks right out of the shiny plastic bag. Then that particular note disappeared. Not anise. Licorice.
    - When I reapplied more FB this afternoon (mid-day) the scent took on a much more comforting feeling. It was the same scent that I was smelling this morning, but this time the combination of scents felt much more cuddly. Hope that makes sense.
    - I like fougere scents - and honestly, the only aspect I find in FB that is like a fougere is the salty aspect that keeps popping up in the drydown. Perhaps fougere is not the word I would have picked when I named this scent - but the sweet/salty mix is quite addictive (I sniffed my arm all afternoon) and complimentary.
    - I can imagine this would smell wonderful worn at a Thanksgiving Dinner table
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 31st October 2007 at 12:43 AM.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I can imagine this would smell wonderful worn at a Thanksgiving Dinner table
    It would be like wearing camouflage.

I can imagine this would smell wonderful worn at a Thanksgiving Dinner table
    at a lovely home in Kolkata
    Last edited by Morgan Creek; 31st October 2007 at 05:14 AM.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

So - I finally got my hot little hands of the FB samples from Luckyscent and I gave them a full wearing today. Such a strange, fascinating and categorically challenged scent this is:

- The top notes immediately smell like Eau Noire. Funny thing is, there is NO immortelle flower in this stuff. Amazing how that happens, huh? It is an olfactory trick, but there it is.
    - The sweetness derived in FB is caramel/vanilla based, yet grounded in a middle eastern spice base. Imagine a stove top that you are standing over: In one pot is a saucepan with melted caramel, with real vanilla beans and spices and in the other pot is curried chicken cooking. The scents are mixing together. This pretty much describes this part of FB
    - If anyone got a food-esque impression from Arabie (like I did) then you will probably get the same impression from FB. Unlike Arabie, FB isn't dried or candied sweetness, rather warm and baked sweetness.
    - I got the scent of licorice this morning for a couple of minutes -black licorice sticks right out of the shiny plastic bag. Then that particular note disappeared. Not anise. Licorice.
    - When I reapplied more FB this afternoon (mid-day) the scent took on a much more comforting feeling. It was the same scent that I was smelling this morning, but this time the combination of scents felt much more cuddly. Hope that makes sense.
    - I like fougere scents - and honestly, the only aspect I find in FB that is like a fougere is the salty aspect that keeps popping up in the drydown. Perhaps fougere is not the word I would have picked when I named this scent - but the sweet/salty mix is quite addictive (I sniffed my arm all afternoon) and complimentary.
    - I can imagine this would smell wonderful worn at a Thanksgiving Dinner table
    Thanks for a very accurate review. My Wife and both wear this. It's a fun scent. I get that licoriceand curry notes too. Funny you chose "cuddly " I agree.

I ordered a sample of this with my Domenico Caraceni and i loved it ,to me it reminded me of a sort of arabie which has had nearly all the sweetness sucked out of it with a bit of hay that once belonged in a tiger's cage chucked in at the drydown.

Hey, guys-

I find it interesting that no one has mentioned its connection to Chypre Rouge...
    I thought that it had a curry-like similarity, minus all the sweet.
    To my nose, Eau Noire is sweeter, as is L'Autre- two others I enjoy.

I really like FB, but it's a moody lil' bugger-
    I can't quite justify the outlay, as I own the others.

The three new Pd'E are really well-done, and I really enjoy them- but don't quite affect me as strongly as the previous ones-
    In that they feel a bit more derivative, and less original.

Let's face it-
    When Ambre Russe and Cuir Ottoman came out, we'd not smelled anything like it.
    I realize that this kind of event is unusual.

I just got this and I really don't like it. I just don't like the curry note at all. Without it this fragrance would be great.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I like FB and will maybe purchase sometime soon - but not before I purchase Ambre Sultan. Amber Sultan is higher on my list. I'm also curious to try the other fragrances by Parfum d'Empire.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    Hey, guys-

I find it interesting that no one has mentioned its connection to Chypre Rouge...
    I thought that it had a curry-like similarity, minus all the sweet.
    To my nose, Eau Noire is sweeter, as is L'Autre- two others I enjoy.

I really like FB, but it's a moody lil' bugger-
    I can't quite justify the outlay, as I own the others.

The three new Pd'E are really well-done, and I really enjoy them- but don't quite affect me as strongly as the previous ones-
    In that they feel a bit more derivative, and less original.

Let's face it-
    When Ambre Russe and Cuir Ottoman came out, we'd not smelled anything like it.
    I realize that this kind of event is unusual.
    Couldn't agree more!

Ambre Russe and Cuir Ottoman (and I'd like to ad Iskander too) are the best of this line.

Fougere Bengale and Equistrius are still very good, but don't have the "deepness and evolvement "of Ambre Russe or the refinement and originality of Cuir Ottoman to me.

Also, I can't escape the thought that the newest PdE's were VERY inspired by Dior.

Equistrius: the Iris,gourmand theme, like in Dior Homme (although the scent itself is nothing alike, and still interesting)
    And Fougere Bengale = Eau Noire , the curry note, color of the juice

I could be wrong though
    Last edited by eric; 11th December 2007 at 10:23 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Also, I can't escape the thought that the newest PdE's were VERY inspired by Dior.

Equistrius: the Iris,gourmand theme, like in Dior Homme (although the scent itself is nothing alike, and still interesting)

I could be wrong though
    Interesting observation.

Perhaps it's just a coincidence. Let's face it iris and immortelle prominent scents are being churned out by many fragrance houses. And as you said, they do smell different from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    I just got this and I really don't like it. I just don't like the curry note at all. Without it this fragrance would be great.
    Yeah. Just got my decant today. Curry note seems to me the dominant note here.
    The first 5 mins on my skin smell pretty horrible. Curry and for a lack of a better word....puke (please pardon my description here). However, once it gets to the drydown, it is quite nice. Longevity is very good as well. I have been wearing this scent for the past 5 days (something I rarely do). Perhaps because of its unique smell, I am attracted to wearing it.
    Last edited by Omega Man; 21st December 2007 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    My first impression of Fougere Bengale as well. The lavender, vanilla and tonka in FB brought Eau Noire to mind immediately. However, my favorite note in FB is tobacco, which helps distinguish it somewhat from Eau Noire. If I were in the market for a tobacco scent, I would consider FB but more likely purchase Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille.

Interesting observation.

Perhaps it's just a coincidence. Let's face it iris and immortelle prominent scents are being churned out by many fragrance houses. And as you said, they do smell different from each other.
    Oh yes, it could be coincidence indeed.
    There's nothing wrong with houses that "inspire" each other,theme wise, as long as creativity and quality of the fragrance itself remains, like in this case. In fact, I'd choose the Fougere Bengale over the Eau Noire, for the simple fact that it's easier for me to wear. The Equistrius is a wonderfull Iris scent, but nothing like Dior homme.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Just an additional note as to the incredible longevity of this fragrance (on me anyway)

I applied it to both forearms on this past Tuesday. Today is Friday and, after 5 full long, soapdown-scrub-hot water showers the past days, it is STILL very detectible when I sniff close to the application areas! We are talking about 70 hours after two single spritzes! I cannot recall any other fragrance I have used having such amazing tenacity. Anyone else note this or is it just on me?
    Last edited by kbe; 21st December 2007 at 11:03 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

it's a lot more complicated than I gave it credit for when I first identified it as coffee cake topping gourmand. for one thing lavender is very strong in it I still am not getting curry though

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky View Post
    it's a lot more complicated than I gave it credit for when I first identified it as coffee cake topping gourmand...
    I'm trying Fougere Bengale today from a sample vial for the very first time, and I can certainly see (smell), supermarky, the impression you note above. However, the first and strongest impression that I get of this scent is that of maple syrup and butter on pancakes. Two hours later and this is still what it smells like. I can also see how it may be perceived as a sweetened curry mix.

I noted this distinct maple syrup smell in at least one of the vetivers I tested in my Vetiver Redux thread, and I'm guessing there is a common synthetic that is evocative of that smell (burnt suger/maple syrup). Does anyone know what molecule this could be?

I am pretty sure that it is a natural and not a synthetic causing that maple syrup smell...it's immortelle or everlasting flower. Check out Annick Goutal's Sables for a clear blast of immortelle or maple syrup.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    I am pretty sure that it is a natural and not a synthetic causing that maple syrup smell...it's immortelle or everlasting flower. Check out Annick Goutal's Sables for a clear blast of immortelle or maple syrup.
    Strangely, Parfums d'Empire does not list immortelle as a official note of Fougere Bengale. Just: mint, moss, hay, gingerbread, tonka bean, tobacco, patchouli and lavender.

Mike, I thought I had read somewhere that others thought there was immortelle in this. The following is copied from an article by Robin from the wonderful "Now Smell This" blog.

"Tom at Perfume Smellin’ Things noted a resemblance between Fougère Bengale and Annick Goutal’s Sables, and I agree with him. I’ve owned two 100 ml bottles of Sables and used every drop, but if Fougère Bengale had been around, I would not have bought my second bottle of Sables. Fougère Bengale, on my skin, has more complexity and clarity than Sables (which can stall in its development and send out unvarying wafts of immortelle, and can turn bitter and murky during the dry down). Other reviewers have mentioned the presence of “maple syrup” and “gingerbread” accords in Fougère Bengale; the fragrance does have a sweet base, and perhaps even a driblet of immortelle, but my nose doesn’t detect anything distinctly foody."

Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't...who knows?

Basenotes Institution

I gave this another full wearing from a sample this week - it had been a while since I first encountered FB and I thought I'd share.

This time, I got much more immortelle - right at the top notes and it persisted thorughout the entire evolution of the scent. Of course it's much more vibrant and sweet when it's initially sprayed - giving it that slight gingerbread accord some people mention. But honestly, the immortelle (to my nose) swallows up all of the other notes and makes it impossible to smell anything else.

In addition, the immortelle in FB borders on smelling like curry. The only other scent I've smelled that conjures up this image is Arabie by Serge Lutens. Yet Arabie has much more fruit and honey that balances out the strange kitchen smells. FB doesn't.

I love immortelle, but I prefer how it's handled in Eau Noire by Dior. Dark, brittle and vegetal.

Morning Star

I consider Fougère Bengale and Cuir Ottoman to be the best out of the Parfum d'Empire lineup. I wear Fougère Bengale a lot, and the only reason I haven't bought Cuir Ottoman yet is that I am still testing other leather fragrances.

Lucky Scent apparently is now carrying the new Parfum d'Empire Yuzu Fou. See here.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 20th August 2008 at 09:18 PM.

Fougere Bengale smells like a non-descript curry dish on me. Fennel just does not work on my skin. My favorite from the line so far is Ambre Russe, and to a lesser degree, I also enjoy Osmanthus Interdite. I just got samples of the two new ones among a luckyscent sample order....

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I consider Fougère Bengale and Cuir Ottoman to be the best out of the Parfum d'Empire lineup
    Agreed, except that I'd add Ambre Russe to the list. I find it sinfully addictive.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Every once in a while, I like to spray on a fragrance and go running in the summer weather to see what it reveals about the scent ... oh, yeah and to get some sun and exercise. Today, FB this is the one I chose and it was the most I've ever enjoyed this particular fragrance. The lavender has never come out on my skin in other circumstances, but it really bloomed with my sweat. When I've worn this in the past, I've always totally gotten the curry everyone talks about and would have never thought of this as one to wear in the summer, but I'd really suggest you guys give it a try in the extreme heat. Now that I think about it, it makes sense that a perfume designed to suggest India would smell great on a sweaty body, but this fragrance is so far removed from what we in the US would think of as a "summery" scent, that I literally never thought of wearing it in extreme heat before! Have others?

I like wearing this in warm weather much more than cold! I tend to wear herbal scents only in the warm season, actually...

OK, I admit that this post is nothing other than a desperate attempt to obtain a decant of Fougere Bengale in a swap. I forgot to add it to my recent order from The Perfumed Court and it wouldn't make sense to just order one decant from them at this point. Also, I find that the tiny Luckyscent samples aren't sufficient to fully experience a fragrance.

ANYWAY, I figured that one of you guys might have some FB and be willing to swap it for something on my list. If so, would you please check out my swap link below and let me know. Sorry I didn't have anything else to add to this thread.

Thank you!
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Let's explore this scent again...I am interested in the quality of tobacco in Fougere Bengale.

Sweet as in Back to Black? Or more subtle?

I prefer sweet pipe tobacco as in BtB. I have tried Le Dandy, BTW, which might come as no surprise for some of you, but also Arome Trois. How does this compare?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Let's explore this scent again...I am interested in the quality of tobacco in Fougere Bengale.

I prefer sweet pipe tobacco as in BtB. I have tried Le Dandy, BTW, which might come as no surprise for some of you, but also Arome Trois. How does this compare?
    Fougere Bengale is a little less sweet than BTB, as it has more tangy and spicy elements to it. The lavender and herbs do a lot to offset the sweetness of the immortelle. It's still sweet, just not as sweet.

I really wouldn't classify it as a tobacco fragrance per se, though it's a fragrance I'd highly recommend trying given you like Parfum d'Empire. I'd call it an imortelle fragrance - focused on that sweet-spicy note that dominates Sables and Eau Noire - with a lavender top and distinct presence of hay and tobacco in the base.

So, to use a fragrance I know you've tried as an analogy, it's not a tobacco fragrance the way Cuir Ottoman is a leather fragrance, it's a tobacco fragrance the way Cuir Ottoman is an iris fragrance. The note is a supporting player only.

As an interesting aside, my mother has told me she thinks Ambre Russe smells "Like a gentleman's club, with men drinking port and smoking pipes in big leather chairs." I don't smell it quite the same, but it's gorgeous and well worth trying in exploration of Parfum D'Empire.

I love immortelle, but I prefer how it's handled in Eau Noire by Dior. Dark, brittle and vegetal.
    I agree. I was really disappointed with Fougere Bengale. I've tried every immortelle frag and have found that nothing comes close to the incredible scent that is Eau Noire.
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 23rd February 2010 at 02:51 PM.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    I agree. I was really disappointed with Fougere Bengale. I've tried every immortelle frag and have found that nothing comes close to the incredible scent that is Eau Noire.
    Eau Noire is very nice, but it has very poor longevity on my skin, an issue I didn't have with FB.

In general, I'd say the fragrances have two very different styles. I find Eau Noire to be more of a straight-forward fougere with immortelle, where as FB is more offbeat, emphasizing the "curried" notes over the powderiness of EN.

FB is all about tobacco to me. I don't get immortelle (which isn't there anyway) and I get what people mean when they talk about curry, but let's face it, this is no SL Santal de Mysore! FB is about wet tobacco, not sweet though. I haven't tried BtB so I cannot compare, It feels like a primitive tobacco, tobacco leaves from the plant. I also get a very strong wet straw note which reminds me of beach parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Fougere Bengale is a little less sweet than BTB, as it has more tangy and spicy elements to it. The lavender and herbs do a lot to offset the sweetness of the immortelle. It's still sweet, just not as sweet.

I really wouldn't classify it as a tobacco fragrance per se, though it's a fragrance I'd highly recommend trying given you like Parfum d'Empire. I'd call it an imortelle fragrance - focused on that sweet-spicy note that dominates Sables and Eau Noire - with a lavender top and distinct presence of hay and tobacco in the base.

So, to use a fragrance I know you've tried as an analogy, it's not a tobacco fragrance the way Cuir Ottoman is a leather fragrance, it's a tobacco fragrance the way Cuir Ottoman is an iris fragrance. The note is a supporting player only.

As an interesting aside, my mother has told me she thinks Ambre Russe smells "Like a gentleman's club, with men drinking port and smoking pipes in big leather chairs." I don't smell it quite the same, but it's gorgeous and well worth trying in exploration of Parfum D'Empire.
    Thank you, Galamb, WindyCity and cpk. I will have to sample these. I was interested to see just *how* much tobacco was present.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thank you, Galamb, WindyCity and cpk. I will have to sample these. I was interested to see just *how* much tobacco was present.
    Just wanting to know if Ambre Russe can be compared to Back to Black in sweetness.

Any recommendations?

Just wanting to know if Ambre Russe can be compared to Back to Black in sweetness.

Any recommendations?
    Ambre Russe is almost exactly as sweet as Back To Black to my nose. I'd say it's also stronger on the sillage for the first few hours, at least, though their drydowns are equal strength ( both of these have great longevity on me ).

To my nose, Amber Russe is the fragrance of opulence. It's sweet, rich, heady, very over the top in its mix of spices, boozy notes, and amber. ( Its polar opposite in the amber category would be the the dry, refined, herbal amber of Ambre 114 ). Like Back to Back it's a heavy-hitter on the honey notes.

It's strange. Every time I wear it I think "I must get a bottle", but I haven't yet. I must fix this soon...!
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 23rd February 2010 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Ambre Russe is almost exactly as sweet as Back To Black to my nose. I'd say it's also stronger on the sillage for the first few hours, at least, though their drydowns are equal strength ( both of these have great longevity on me ).

To my nose, Amber Russe is the fragrance of opulence. It's sweet, rich, heady, very over the top in its mix of spices, boozy notes, and amber. ( Its polar opposite in the amber category would be the the dry, refined, herbal amber of Ambre 114 ). Like Back to Back it's a heavy-hitter on the honey notes.

It's strange. Every time I wear it I think "I must get a bottle", but I haven't yet. I must fix this soon...!
    Thank you so much, Galamb! This sounds like a "must-sample" scent. As you noted, I like this house and its very rich creations.
    Last edited by Primrose; 23rd February 2010 at 10:50 PM.