Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Yet another 3X3 Blind Sniffing Round-The Unabashed Gourmand Experience!

Another round of blind sniffing is about to start, and this time it is ….the Unabashed Gourmand Experience!
    As usual, one mysterious sample falls in the mass market, one in the department store/designer and one in the niche category. Will it be hard? Not completely….one is easy easy, one is medium difficulty, one is …oh boy! Please describe the colour, the density, the notes, the images, the feelings and everything else crossing your mind!
    Since we have kanutta and jazztweety in Europe and shadesofbleu in the US – in different time zones – I believe they should be allowed a reasonable amount of time to sniff and guess at their own pace.
    Therefore, the non-blind sniffers who think they have identified a mysterious scent during the first day/day and a half of sniffing&guessing should please PM me with their guesses instead of posting directly on the thread …. it will be much more fun for everybody….
    Now…let’s start!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Default Re: Yet another 3X3 Blind Sniffing Round-The Unabashed Gourmand Experience!

Ok, I'll start then with sample A.

The juice is pale yellow, reminds me of a glass of Chardonnay.
    A connoisseur of wine would perhaps describe the color as "straw yellow"......

I have sniffed the juice of all samples from the vials; and my first impression is that sample A is the one I like best, but will see when the others get on my skin.

When first applied I get a "boozy" accord, like a liqueur, it calms down fast, but is still here.

I get liquorice, chocolate, some spice...vanilla...honey?
    Is there some tea in it too perhaps?
    And somehow I smell a little rose jam too...

It's a rich, creamy scent. Sweet, but not overly so.
    Dark rather than blond, I see purple when I smell it.

Gender neutral in my opinion, can easily be worn by both sexes.

It seems the most "nichist" out of the three.

Ok this is my first impressions, need to let the scent develop more.

Default Re: Yet another 3X3 Blind Sniffing Round-The Unabashed Gourmand Experience!

Hello everyone, and thank you Carissima for the lovely goodies and organizing this very delicious sniffing round!

I am 98% sure that it is a scent i know, love and have. But the 2% of intrigue appeared, when I compared the sample A with my own bottle, which is about 10 years old now, so this might eventually explain the minimal difference, or they are different scents , but then the sample A would be a masterful copy of the scent I'm recognizing. Who knows?

So now let's talk about the facts: the colour is a light beige, the juice not very oily. Very good lasting power, I think it's Edp/Parfum de Toilette.
    When I took the first whiff out of the vial, a familiar and unique accord hit me:
    a masterful vanilla cloud that is not cloying due to the combination with a very refined light wood note, ambroxan, plum and cola, with a mellow mandarin opening, prominent in a designer scent that has sadly been discontinued and is now terribly missed by the connaisseurs...

The only thing that confuses me is that Lady_In_Black's sample has a slightly more cocoa/honey like note that the scent I suspect it to be doesn't have as much from my bottle

If you intended to really intrigue me, you succeded my Dear!!!

Very good initial impressions, dear ladies!
    Let's wait and see what shadesofbleu comes up with.....

bleu autumn haze

I just now applied sample "A"

My first thoughts were honey, something berry-ish, and chocolate.

It "feels" like EDP on my skin, if that's possible. I don't smell a lot of alcohol, so that I another reason I think it's EDP. It seems to sit very near the skin, at least this early in the wearing. I just asked my hubby to sniff ... he couldn't smell it

I'm off to work now, and unfortunately, I don't have internet access at work ... so you guys will have to wait for me to get home to post more thoughts.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I'm hungry.....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Personally I agree with Lady_in_Black that our sniffers should be the first to try their hand and noses in guessing.

However, if I got a few questions regarding this fragrance, may I ask them here now or is it too early?

...I have already made my guess...but there is still the 2%...I'm very curious!

It is three hours since I put on sample A now; the drydown reminds me of Samsara, so I guess there must be sandalwood in it...?

There was also someting smoky and "tobaccoish" in the heartnotes to my nose; I have never smelled this scent before, I'm quite sure of that.

It reminds a bit of YR Rose Absolu combined with Tea for two; Samsara and Fumerie Turque, sprinkled with grated chocolate on top!

The lasting power is good; it's a bit difficult to say anything about the sillage as I didn't put on that much.

I have no idea of what it might be.

The drydown is mostly sandalwood and vanilla to my nose...

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Personally I agree with Lady_in_Black that our sniffers should be the first to try their hand and noses in guessing.

However, if I got a few questions regarding this fragrance, may I ask them here now or is it too early?
    Go ahead, dear! Asking questions always helps!

I can't give any explicit hints until our shades gets back to us this evening, but one thing is for sure: NO chocolate and NO cocoa among the official notes.....does anybody smell nuts? I do.....but they're also not among the notes
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 15th October 2007 at 02:50 PM.

Already then! Here is what I would like to know about A:

Forget the Gourmand aspect, is A oriental or floral oriental?Any particular flowers besides rose?
    Any noticeable spices besides anise: cinnamon, cardamom, ginger?
    Any raspberry ot strawberry at all?
    Are they peaches or plums? Or, pineapples and figs?
    Any resemblance to Angel? Any patchouli?
    Does it dry down powdery or stay muted but transparent? Dry?
    If you smell any nuts at all, are they almonds/ toasted almonds/ pistaccios/ cashews/ hazelnuts?
    Any cookies/ biscotti/ pie crust to A?
    Chocolate note without cocoa or chocolate among the official notes, can it be coffee + vanilla? praline? caramel? Is it vanilla at all, or, perhaps, benzoin or tonka bean?
    Is there anything that "bothers" you in A, some slight nuance that you thought the fragrance would be better without?

Last edited by Twolf; 15th October 2007 at 04:03 PM.

Wow!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 15th October 2007 at 04:54 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Whatever A is, it sounds heavenly. My mouth is watering...
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Whatever A is, it sounds heavenly. My mouth is watering...
    If you're a good boy, if you haven't sniffed it, you'll get a sample...

I don't detect much flower in it, so maybe an oriental...?

No nuts but probably some fruit, hence the association with jam that I get, some red berry perhaps..

Some musk in the drydown perhaps,...a little powdery, yes.

No biscuits or amandes.

Caramel rather than chocolate, and no Angel wibes at all. No patchouli.

It is tonka beans in YR Rose Absolu, and cinnamon too; so it could very well be present in this as well, as it reminds me quite a bit of RA.

I can still smell it very well after 8 hours, so it must be an edp at least...

I'll shut up for now at let the two others speak !

Kanutta, the association with jam is very, very close to the truth...think about a fruit which is not used to make breakfast jam, but ......

Applied again to get the topnotes.....now I know what it is : "Mon cheri " chocolate!
    ( chocolate filled with cherry liqueur, very popular 20 years ago )

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Kanutta, the association with jam is very, very close to the truth...think about a fruit which is not used to make breakfast jam, but ......
    Peanuts????

The fruit I get is plum, definitely, and a cola accord! I would say it is an ambery vanillic oriental. A typical Vanilla/Tonka/Sandalwood base. I don't get nuts

Ladies, it's time for some hints!

The house gives its name to only 3 scents. They aren't very generous in giving the notes....those given for Sample "A" are very few, and some quite generic. I have to stick with them, although to my nose (and to others as well) there is indeed more in this scent than is told In particular, there's an "accord" among the notes, meaning many notes form it - spices, mainly

The fruit is not plum and not peanut and there's no cola note listed either. No
    rose either...unless it is a white rose we're talking about

I agree with jazztweety on an ambery vanillic base (who could doubt it, she's a great nose!)....but the biggest giveaway has already been disclosed by kanutta in her very first post. I almost felt my hair stand on end when I read it Therefore, I invite you to read it again

Bingo!!!!!!!!!! I've got it. This is not Escada Collection, it's from a French house and very often mentioned to be similar to Escada Collection, no wonder I got trapped (but noticed the tiny difference at least).
    Never ever go with notes that are listed - there maybe tons of other things too.
    The key are grapes and some fungus...
    So then this is the niche fraggie, OMG. So I finally got to sniff this jewel

Ok, I was right about the boozy accord then. I think I know what it is after Jazztweetys post, but I never would have guessed it by myself.

Think I'll pour me a glass of Baumes de Venice now!

bleu autumn haze

sorry to hold up the procedings

I do get the boozy note at the first, almost amaretto maybe.

I had a busy day at work, I felt I lost the entire scent around lunch time ... so to me, the lasting power wasn't so great.

It looks like my fellow sniffers have got it already, but I don't know this one.
    --------------------------------------
    Is there jasmine is this?
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 15th October 2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My blind sniffing beauties, don't be shy! If you think you have identified the scent, post your guess!

Correctly, jazztweety compares it to Escada Collection but it is not it

And shades, I am reminded of almonds and hazelnuts swimming in a clear, golden honey sea, sans the usual heliotrope or almond note! There could well be jasmine in there...although the notes refer generically to "white flowers".

Kanutta, it's not only your description of a boozy note that impressed me. Read the first lines you wrote! Suffice it to say that in the eyes of the house, it should call to mind a Sauternes

I fondly refer to her as my Honey Queen .
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 15th October 2007 at 10:41 PM.

bleu autumn haze

ok I think I have it!

is it Botrytis by Ginestet?

Can I take the liberty of declaring an ex aequo for my blind sniffers? Jazztweety and Kanutta PMed me the answer almost in parallel and Shadesofbleu just posted it!

SO WE HAVE THREE WINNERS!!!!
    And a special mention to my dear friend Twolf who was the first to PM me the right guess and to sakecat who followed, and to all those who graciously PMed me their guesses! Thank you for joining us!

Botrytis, by the French fine winemaker Ginestet based in the Bordeaux area, is a lush, rich, honeyed fall scent. Perfect for the cold days ahead! Although it is definitely a sweet, gourmand scent, it has quite a following. The bottle is a little gem: grapes and vines acid-etched in the round body, with a satiny golden cap ornated by a grape leaf, enclosed in a deep amber/golden brown silky bag with ruffles.
    The given notes are: honey, candied fruits, quince, gingerbread, white flowers.

Y'all relax now with Sample B.

Congratulations to all! Honestly, what helped me most was kanutta's answers to my questions and LIB's comparison to fruit for non-breakfast jam -- of course after about a dozen of incorrect guesses!

We are all getting so good with describing and guessing! What took us 3 to 4 days in the first couple of rounds is done in one day now, a significant improvement!

Meantime, I encourage everybody to do yourselves a favor and sniff this marvel of a scent -- I get cola, honey and chocolate too and the full bottle has been on my wishlist for over a year now!

Thanks for keeping us on the toes! Is B going to be a breeze then?

bleu autumn haze

Since I work around X-rays, I wear a heavy lead apron at work ... Sometimes, wearing that apron can do interesting things to scents, it tends to keep the fragrance warm and close to the skin until the apron is removed, and then it is released with a vengence! I had my apron on this morning for a few hours, and when I took it off, the Botrytis took a very sweet turn and little whiffs of honey and what I think was jasmine kept swirling around my nose.

And in hindsight, it probably did smell more like hazelnuts rather than almonds. Isn't there a hazelnut liqueur?

I didn't know this one, but I did a little snooping around after reading the clues

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post

And in hindsight, it probably did smell more like hazelnuts rather than almonds. Isn't there a hazelnut liqueur?
    Yeah - Frangelico.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

congrats sounds yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by kanutta View Post
    Ok, I'll start then with sample A.

The juice is pale yellow, reminds me of a glass of Chardonnay.
    A connoisseur of wine would perhaps describe the color as "straw yellow"......
    This line helped me - along with knowing that the line has only 3 "wine-themed" scents.

And, thankfully, this is one I've sampled. Probably won't have a clue about the other 2......

Ok, sample B:

Just applied it, first impression is milk-chocolate and vanilla.
    Very dessert like, creme brulé comes to my mind. So maybe it is caramel instead of chocolate....it is not a dark and bitter chocolate in this concoction.
    No Angel wibes, can't detect patchouly, at least not yet.

The juice is cognac coloured, not so strong, an edt perhaps.

After the initial blast of chocolate all that's left on my skin now is vanilla. I don't think it is tonka beans, it smells like the kitchen vanilla sugar I have in my cupboard.

Mass market or designer...? I don't know; sample C smells exactly the same as B out of the vial.
    I perceive B as a straight forward scent....and the scent is fading as I write.

Wonder what the other sniffers have to say.....

Quote Originally Posted by kanutta View Post
    Mass market or designer...? I don't know; sample C smells exactly the same as B out of the vial.
    Yes, Samples "B" and "C" definitely share one mouth-watering note

Actually I couldn't describe it any better than Kanutta did. I also think it's an edt, not very strong but quite persistant. It is basically about cocoa, which it has in common with sample C. I get a faint hint of berries too, but basically sweet vanilla and cocoa. It doesn't smell of natural ingredients.The scent is very pleasant and comforting, and if it's the one I think of, a great value for little money, but I must become careful now since our Bellissima has trapped me so with Botrytis.

Be generous with the application...just splash it on from the vial! Do you beautiful ladies smell any flower in there?

A tiniest hint of Jasmine???

No flower that I can detect....but how about some pralines...?

Basenotes Institution

Does the cocoa smell 'dry' to you sniffers? Or wet (like hot chocolate)?

Is it milky?

-- Eckhart Tolle

bleu autumn haze

I tried sample "B" last night and wore it again to work this morning ... I didn't splash it on, but I used almost the whole vial between the two wearings! Honestly, my first thought was this was a body spray and not even an EDT ... but surprisingly, it sort of came alive about mid-morning and I got a mouthwatering rich chocolate. Mike, to me it was like brownie batter, not dry and powdery, but not exactly "wet" either

I thought I had a fleeting whiff of cherries and then sweet, rich brownie batter ...

floral? hmmm not really

is there a touch of sandalwood in the base? I think I got something a little wood-y or possibly nutty

I was thinking along with Jazztweety that it was Collection!
    How wonderful that a Designated Sniffer actually guessed before a random non-sniffer posted the answer !

Sample "B": Yes, jazztweety, the tiniest hint of jasmine...not that I am anle to detect it, just like kanutta

And vanilla, definitely. And cocoa or chocolate. Brownies and pralines - I love the comparisons - yum!

Also in this case, the house isn't generous with notes, especially those they must have used to "anchor" the scent.

I fully agree with you, shadesofbleu...there must be also a light base of sandalwood in there...and I smell musk in the drydowm also .

Might not the the best scent in the world, but surely worth a try. It is also very good for layering!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Might not the the best scent in the world, but surely worth a try.
    Lovely Orthography, Lady_in_Black...
    Last edited by PaulSC; 17th October 2007 at 04:27 AM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

LOL @ 2 ' v U !

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Lovely Orthography, Lady_in_Black...
    LOL @ 2 ' v U !

LiB, I mailed you the answer before the thread was opened.
    Let's also say that the scent is, even if it's a mass market one, not available in all stores .

Yes, there is musk, but the jasmine is only listed, I don't smell it either!

I guess we got a hint to the answer in your post LIB.

Yes, my dear songbird jazztweety, you were right from the start!
    I am getting several PMs with the correct answer....almost everybody knows what Sample B is by now!
    Isn't any of my sniffers posting her answer on the thread? :wave:

Amorito from the bodyshop....

Never smelled it before, but it is not bad.

Will put on sample C later on, going to work for a couple of hours now.

YES!
    Amorito by the Body Shop it is

Congrats to kanutta and jazztweety and shadesofbleu - again all three blind sniffers found out, with jazztweety in the lead!

Eau de Toilette, good value at 16 US for 1 oz.. The notes on TBS website are:
    Top: Chocolate
    Heart: Jasmine, Chocolate
    Bottom: Vanilla, Chocolate.

I would change the olfactory pyramid as follows:

Top: Milk chocolate, Vanilla
    Heart: Vanilla, blond tobacco, caramel
    Base: Vanilla, musk, sandalwood

Released in 2004 as part of TBS' "Invent your scent" line, it layers perfectly with a variety of other fragrances. My personal fave was Amorito + Bvlgari Blv Notte to enhance the chocolate note.

NOW, dears, you've got to prepare for a real challenge. Sample "C" is really, really difficult. We know it's department store/designer, but you will have to resort to your noses and your googling abilities. Open and hidden hints will be given in due time!!!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 17th October 2007 at 11:30 AM.

Sample C: Chocolate, more bitter and darker than in the " Amorito". The chocolate is more prominent. The scent is not so sweet. Reminds me of a slightly burned chocolate cake.

Is there a cognac note in it...some tar...birch? It's a rather dry scent.

I wouldn't like to wear this one, not even if someone gave it too me. It is too bitter.

That's all I can say so far. The juice is the same color as sample A. It can be an edp.
    Last edited by kanutta; 17th October 2007 at 02:09 PM.

Googling abilities? Not in the BN Directory?

I'm lurking here.
    Gourmands are not my area of expertise. I don't wear them often, but I do like them.
    The only problem I have is with drooling; I want to lick myself.
    You people are excellent at discerning and describing notes.
    These threads are a pleasure to read.

Basenotes Institution

Am I the only one who thinks the name of B 'Amorito' sounds a little silly..? WTF?

Amorito sounds like a Mexican taco shop.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Kanutta, yes, the chocolate in Sample C is definitely black, unsweetened cacao, especially in the headnotes. I also detect a very fleeting boozy note when I spray it on

Googling abilities? Not in the BN Directory?
    The house is listed in the BN directory, the scent is NOT. Nor is their latest one. Although more than 10 scents are listed, and some are well loved and worn by Basenoters, perfume is not their core business.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the name of B 'Amorito' sounds a little silly..? WTF?

Amorito sounds like a Mexican taco shop.
    After all, Mike, it's nothing more and nothing less than Ava Luxe's Petit Amour (Little Love now)....sounds only less chic But I would love a taco shop with that name - no, let's leave it at "I would love a taco shop" - we don't have any over here. Just Mexican restaurants.
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 17th October 2007 at 08:54 PM.

Sorry folks to chime in very late here after a busy day. Like it's been said before, Sample C has the same colour as Amorito, but it's like a deeper and richer version of Amorito, less sweet. Unfortunately it develops extremely sweet to my own surprise on the skin and becomes roasted almonds! On a paper strip it remained the beautiful bitter and dark chocolate note. I have never sniffed this one before. Could it be that is comes from a fashion label that has released a lot of scents, many of them with a thematic category - just asking...

It's far in the drydown now, but you're right Jasstweety it sweetens up after an hour or so.

Now it's only vanilla left.

I'm not fond of plain gourmand scents, so I haven't smelled much of them to be honest.
    But I love desserts - to eat!

A designer frag then, as perfume is not their core business...?

Or a " chocolatier"....Eau de chocolat or something,...?

I can't imagine that a designer house like Dior or a jeweller like Boucheron would come up with a purely chocolate-scent like this with nothing else going on...?

So Eau de chocolat from a chocolatier is my best guess.

bleu autumn haze

Sorry everyone! I had to work late tonight ...

My first thought of "C" was dry cocoa mix ... dry, powdery and and little "dusty"

It quickly became very sweet, very thick, very carmel-y ... I told a friend that I smelled like a caramel creme brulee!

It didn't last very long, stayed close to the skin, very little sillage ...

(I was going to guess Laura Mercier Creme Brulee, but that doesn't fit the clues )

My first instinct was La Perla Eclix (some Basenoters have their other fragrances in their Wardrobes, although this one hardly ever gets any mentioning), but it is in the Directory. Bummer!

Clothing business (Abercrombie & Fitch/ Banana Republic/ GAP/ Victoria Secret, etc.)?
    Accessoires (Etienne Aigner/ Charles Jourdan, etc.)?
    Sports apparel (Puma)?
    Fast cars?
    Movies?
    Fast food?
    Lawn maintenance?

So, with nothing to do at a quarter to four in the morning, have just ordered Amorito.

You people should be shamed of yourselves!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

It's not Eau de Chocolat from Hotel Chocolat - I own that one and it's actually not as chocolatey as all that, more of a spicy, vanillic sandalwood.

I'd have guessed at an Ava Luxe until you mentioned perfume was not their core business. So I'm thinking clothing designer possibly. Chocolate and almonds - sounds lovely. I want to know what this is.

It's body chemistry again! Sample C does not become that sweet on my skin

Lawn maintenance, Twolf, LOL! No, I'd say the core business of the house is to produce something in the range of clothing, appreciated by both genders, but for different reasons

Not Dior or Boucheron though, nor from a chocolatier or from Laura Mercier.

This scent is part of a trio of fun fragrances, that's why Sample C is a straight, uncomplex gourmand.

Any flowers?