Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default One fragrance you could travel back in time with?

If you could take one fragrance from your wardrobe and go back in time, to when you were 18 years old, what would it be?

Mine would be Avignon by Comme des Garcons. I was 'into' dark, industrial music at the time (I used to be a nightclub DJ) and Avignon would have been the perfect accessory for those late nights out dancing to Bauhaus and generally being a crazy 18 year old.

How about you?

Default Re: One fragrance you could travel back in time with?

Interesting question, Mike. However, I'd be more concerned with what I could BRING BACK from the past than vice versa.
    Last edited by Trebor; 15th October 2007 at 12:42 PM.

Because I missed my calling as a benign dictator, it would be Versailles homme par Jean Desprez.

Halston 101. Remember that bottle?

Id take Minotaure... back to 1994...
    I was fresh out of university, living in Greece, single, and the world was sooooooo big back then...
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 15th October 2007 at 04:34 PM.

I would take a bottle of A*men back to 1995 to warn the species of what horrors awaited them in 1996 should the beastly Thierry Mugler be allowed to produce the diabolical hell-juice that he was even then on the brink of unleashing upon an unsuspecting world.

No, seriously, my first choice would be Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligons. I would wear it back to Victorian England to show the perfumers of the day that classic never goes out of style. If I had to pick a contemporary fragrance to take back, though, it would be Bois de Portugal. I'd be taking it back to show perfumers the exact same thing, btw -- namely, that classic never goes out of style.

If I just wanted to go back in time and scare the peasants, I'd schlep along a bottle of Stetson and tell the hoi polloi that this was to God's wrathful, apocalyptic judgment upon a sinful world. Then I'd show them pictures of Courtney Love and watch them run screaming into the night.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 15th October 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

In 1997, when I was 18 years old, I had Cool Water, Fahrenheit, Polo Sport, Lacoste Booster, Escape and Romeo Gigli (female version, I was fooled by the seller). If I could bring one in my wardrobe to that year, it will be Escada Sentiments because chicks dig it, and it smells as airy as air, free from burdens, and so fun that it screams 'youth.'
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I would bring Arabie back to the fall of '77, the year I moved to New York and got into punk/Studio 54/fashion/etc.... A Serge Lutens in the late 70's? That would have been a mind blower! I was wearing Devin back then.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Then I'd show them pictures of Courtney Love and watch them run screaming into the night.
    I have a wise friend who often says that any morning that you wake up not next to Courtney Love is a good morning.

Blog Entries

It's funny - one of my favorites, Bvlgari Black was released the year I graduated high school. I sure wish I had discovered it back then!!! It's so unlike what anyone was wearing @ my high school at that time.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Off-Scenter

I think I'd give my 18 year-old self some Silver Mountain Water. It's suitably youthful and might have lightened my prevailing black mood.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 15th October 2007 at 10:15 PM.

15-18 years old

Both woke me up and kept me awake, which was critical after long nights of excess in various forms:

Azzaro Pour Homme
    Paco Rabanne Pour Homme

Jules would have worked well, too.
    Last edited by pluran; 24th December 2009 at 08:56 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    15-18

I wore em then and I wear em now. Both woke me up and kept me awake, which was critical after routinely long nights of intense excess in various forms:

Azzaro Pour Homme
    Paco Rabanne Pour Homme

Jules, Querelle, No.88, Lancetti Ętre Pour Homme, Domenico Caraceni, Carlo Corinto Vetyver, and Black Aoud also seem like they could work well for various reasons.
    Oh...well I almost said No. 88 myself, but actually No. 88 was around when I was 18 I just didn't know about it and was instead wearing my Tuscany by Armais.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac