Code of Conduct

Unhappy Prices up, "ml./Oz." down...

What's going on with the perfumery industry? The prices are always increasing while the amount of juice is always decreasing! Look at the new Boss and Lacoste's launches: the biggest bottle you can find is a 90 ml one!! Where is this going to stop?
    I'm affraid in a few more years I'll be buying a BIG 50ml bottle of something...

Default Re: Prices up, "ml./Oz." down...

Applying the principle of Ockham's razor, one get's the answer: greed.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 15th October 2007 at 02:25 PM.

i think it's more than just greed. I was reading an article in The Economist recently that said that every "luxury item" is trying to outclass the next in an attempt to be even MORE status conscious, since the more exclusive something is, the more it tends to be desired/valued these days.

There's a weird corollary of the way marketers have tried to carve out a "niche" for every product in the ever-more-focused individual marketing strategy for products:

"If you can afford it, then you probably don't want it; it's beneath you"

CK In2U and Joop Go would be two counterexamples.
    A little speculation: Maybe designer scents start moving in that direction (a bit cheaper), to make way for more exclusive stuff (which will be costing more, incl. a flight to Dubai for that extra-exexexclusivity), and to get some of those drugstore-scent-users in the boat. Wouldn't be good development...
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 15th October 2007 at 03:22 PM.

I noticed some 80 ml bottles recently. don't remember which, probably Ferre and Azzaro.

Quote Originally Posted by rentboy View Post

"If you can afford it, then you probably don't want it; it's beneath you"
    Well, for that purpose they produce special edition bottles, like Lalique for example. Following this ideology it would not matter to a consumer "what they want" - the special edition bottle or some scented water inside.

I still think it's just greed.

Rapidly rising prices are discouraging. But I'm all for smaller quantities -- 20-40 mL is perfect for anyone like me who likes to keep more than a few bottles in rotation at all times. I'm bothered instead by the packaging of "exclusives" from Chanel, Dior, et al, which forces you to buy 200 mL or more of a scent you might prefer to save for special occasions.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 15th October 2007 at 03:39 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Rapidly rising prices are discouraging. But I'm all for smaller quantities -- 20-40 mL is perfect for anyone like me who likes to keep more than a few bottles in rotation at all times. I'm bothered instead by the packaging of "exclusives" from Chanel, Dior, et al, which forces you to buy 200 mL or more of a scent you might prefer to save for special occasions.
    I just wouldn't like to pay the "100ml/3.4Oz price" for a 20-40ml bottle of juice...

Generally the prices of perfume are incresing and more specifically I saw some of designers like Christian Dior are the INNOVATORS in this contest!

I think we have to remember that, for now, this is something that's occuring amongst the designer houses. If the niche houses started adopting this approach then I'd be getting real worried.

to paraphrase oscar wilde "don't worry, bosie, they will"

Quick thoughts:
    1. Thank God for decanting services!
    2. Considering a Prada shirt is $400, $55 isn't horrible for a 1.7 of their fragrances.
    3. And when it comes to niche houses I always think that the smaller the output, the higher the cost must be to cover expenses.
    4, I am shocked that Tom Ford charges more than $600 for Black Orchid pure perfume, that Lalique is charging more than $700 for the pure Encre Noire, and that Armani charges $185 for 1.7 measly ounces of their Prive line. At least Creed gives you 4 oz! That said, Creeds seem to fly off the shelf and I rarely hear about people stocking up on Prive fragrances.
    5. Either Chandler Burr or Luca Turin wrote about how much money big companies will often lose on the fragrances. I look at the boxes lined up by the hundreds all over the world and think, "how do they come out on top??"
    Last edited by nthny; 15th October 2007 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs View Post
    I just wouldn't like to pay the "100ml/3.4Oz price" for a 20-40ml bottle of juice...
    Exactly. They are costly. so far they are "new" and may go down in the future, yet if this is new trend, I don't find it exciting.

deisel fuel for life just dropped over here in aus, 75ml bottle at an expensive 100ml bottle price. i think the 50ml is $100 australian... it's rediculous. i mean, this is deisel!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    I'm all with you here. But doesn't the bigger sizes of the limited runs indicate that you should use it more often? They cost a lot of money, but is the price really high considering the amount you get? But I never finish bottles, so I could easily settle for 50-100ml with 1/4 or 1/2 the price of course.

I still think perfume in general has been overpriced worldwide...And that's why I normally run away from those ultra-expensive niche fragrances and designer's prive lines. Their prices are outrageous. If I buy them, It means I support the greed...

Well, since the 1970's in the western countries at least, the rich have been getting richer faster, while the rest have either been stagnating or falling behind. When you're a seller, it's alot easier to target a smaller group of very rich people who are faithful, regular customers, who can indulge all of their wants, and charge them ever increasing prices, than to have to serve large numbers of people. Just imagein having a restaurant - if you made 1$ per plate, you'd have to have so many employees, and work so hard serving 100 customers to make $1000 dollars a day. But if you could make $1000 of one plate, your life would e so much easier - as long as you make sure that your plate is excellent. If you lose alot of lower end customers, who cares if the ones on the top are more than picking up the slack.

Look at the exploding number of fragrances that come out each year, vs previous decades, where a house *might* come out with one every year. That's because there are some people who can actually buy all those new releases, vs in the past.

Remember the 20/80 rule in business, that 20% of your customers account for 80% of your sales. As incomes get polarized, so do those numbers.

That said, niche perfumes would be expensive anyways (though maybe a bit less) because the materials are just expensive.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 16th October 2007 at 07:48 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread