Code of Conduct

Default any good designer rose scents

My downy dryer sheets have a nice rose scent. Are there any good designer rose scents out there......thanks much.

Default Re: any good designer rose scents

My two favorite are:

No 88- a very dark rose

and

AdP Colonia- fresh masculine and refined. I love this one

Well...I don't know if anything could compare with perfection of downy dryer sheets. :bounce:

Here are my fav's:

(More masculine)
    -Rose Poivree by The Different Company
    -Voleur De Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur
    -Paestem Rose

(more feminine)
    -Une Rose by Frederic Malle
    -Rose Essentielle by Bvlgari
    -Rose by Comme Des Garcons

I'm not crazy about them, but others seem to like the Montale Roses, and Rosine's Rose D'Homme and Rose Twill.

You won't generally find many designer men's fragrances that feature rose notes exclusively. Here are some classic designer fragrances, however, in which rose notes are featured quite prominently and to great effect:

Alain Delon Iquitos
    Aramis 900 Herbal EDC
    Boucheron Pour Homme EDP
    Chanel Égoïste EDT
    Givenchy Gentleman (vintage formulation)
    Paco Rabane XS Pour Homme
    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme

scentemental

Oops...forgot about Rose31 by Le Labo. Everyone loves that one too.

Don't know much about designer scents, but there are a few "niche" ones that I can think of. I am wearing Montale Aoud Rose Petals today. Pretty nice light rose scent IMHO. Montale has a few other excellent rose scents (e.g. Black Oud). Frederic Malle has Carnal Flowers, but it is a pretty intense tuberose.

The one I really want to try (but there is no way I can get it in Canada) is Domenico Carenceni. Do a search on the forum with "rose" and you will see a whole bunch of rose scent related posts.
    Last edited by Omega Man; 15th October 2007 at 05:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Burberry Brit has a nice rose note, surrounded by powder & vanilla.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

If you can handle sweet scents, try Dunhill Desire.

Smile Re: any good designer rose scents

If I am not mistaken Iquitos is a rose scent and rose poivre is a nice spicy rose. Alot of the montale frags have rose and someone told me Lorenzo Villorisi's Musk is all about rose. I don't like rose but I love the LV Musk.

Rick
    For sale post

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

I've been teetering on the edge of ordering either Rose 31 or Voleur de Roses. I've never smelled Rose 31 however and I am not sure about a blind buy. Voleur does seem to keep growing on me everytime I sample it. See if you can give it a try.

(I'm just adding obvious roses florals that haven't been mentioned already)
    Egoiste - Chanel
    Lauder for Men - Estee Lauder
    Habit Rouge - Guerlain
    Opone - Diptyque
    L'Ombre dans l'Eau - Diptyque
    Bijan for Men - Bijan

If you can pull it off, Stella by Stella McCartney is a good designer rose scent, IMHO.
    Last edited by lsp_NY; 16th October 2007 at 01:40 AM.

A vote (from a woman who wears men's scents as well as traditionally feminine ones) for trying out Parfums de Rosine's Rose d'Homme. Gorgeous, "real" rose with some traditionally masculine basenotes. Beautiful and classy.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Quote Originally Posted by Raist679 View Post
    I've been teetering on the edge of ordering either Rose 31 or Voleur de Roses. I've never smelled Rose 31 however and I am not sure about a blind buy. Voleur does seem to keep growing on me everytime I sample it. See if you can give it a try.
    Don't order Rose 31 blind...I was CONVINCED by everyone's glowing review that I would love it. I did not. Crisis averted.

Davidoff Zino is the ultimate designer rose scent for men, IMHO.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Iquitos and Egoiste. I own and love both.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Caraceni's Pour Homme is beautiful and intoxicating. Thanks to Pluran for pimping this otherwise I woudn't have gotten to it.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

To stick with the designer scents with rose part, you're unfortunately going to miss some great rose scents listed above, BUT, there are some supreme quality ones by designers as well. Scentemental mentions a good list and I'll second him on all of them. Isp_NY is dead on when he says Stella--I kick myself for not mentioning it before he did.

Stella is marketed to women, sure, but it is really good. I haven't worn it but a co-worker uses it and smelling her has always made me think I could spend days in the scent myself. See if you can get a Stella sample from a fragrance counter. What harm could it do to wear one evening and one weekend day? You'd find out if it works for you. If it doesn't, no harm done.

Otherwise Alain Delon's Iquitos is a real great novelty in men's scents. Works beautifully I think. You'll probably have to find it at online retailers though, and thus pass up samples. I bet it comes pretty cheap though.

Van Clef & Arpels is another great one. Trussardi Uomo has some rose and is great too. Ungaro III is another worth a shot.

Another good women's scent that is good with rose is Lancôme's Miracle, the one for women (Miracle Homme doesn't have any rose). It's good, but probably requires extra evaluation

A good quality cheapie with a very strong green rose is Molinard's Les Fleurs de Provence series "Rose." My old girlfriend's father picked it off her dresser, wore it, and needed me to tell him where to buy it (online) because he wanted to wear it every day ever after discovering it. And he does. Smells great too, and he's faced bullets being shot at him during combat and thus he's ready to say kiss my ass to anyone who raises an eyebrow. (The scents of the Fleurs de Provence series is not labeled for men or women, but the Rose of the series is a straight up, inside the bud rose--maybe with the waft of leaves from the branches too.)
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution

Noone's mentioned Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

Okay, there are rose threads galore. I'm about sick to death of typing "Hammam Bouquet is the only rose for me." However, I just sampled something a couple of weeks back that made me stop and take serious notice. I'm almost ashamed to say it, because it's a celebrity frag, but...Kate Moss has an absolutely intoxicating rose scent! It is described as "a smokey rose with black undertones." Though I think it is probably a little sweeter than purported, is does have magnificent blend of soft roses and musky incense. With a name like Kate Moss, I expected a fougere, but so glad I got this unique floral oriental.
    Last edited by argogos; 10th October 2009 at 05:02 PM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Nahema is the first thing that springs to mind.

my favorite rose is Tom Ford's white patchouli, it has a really loud and synthetic rose, but for some reason i LOVE it. I also love the (sadly discontinued) Tuberosa by fresh. It's creamy-rosey but light at the same time.

Stella smells EXACTLY like the old Cindy Crawford shampoo, Outrageous. EXACTLY. That's not a bad thing, I used to buy it just because I loved that smell, but now I can't take Stella seriously

AromiErotici

My favorite designer rose is original Ungaro III. Egoiste is also terrific.

Van Cleef & Aprel Pour Homme

Rose and Leather

..I have to add I just do not smell the rose connection in Ungaro III - not even the notes list rose????
    Last edited by scentimus; 11th October 2009 at 05:20 AM.

I second Ungaro III and also Ungaro II
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 11th October 2009 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    With a name like Kate Moss, I expected a fougere [...].

With a name like Kate Moss, I expected ...
    ... it to be regulated by IFRA. : )

Back to the topic, I can't detect any rose in XS pH.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Noone's mentioned Kingdom by Alexander McQueen
    You do love you a good bump, dontcha M?

Chanel Egoiste has a great rosewood note and I agree with the Ungaro 3 recommendations.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I'm really fond of Armani Prive's Rose Alexandrie...

I'm sort of focused on male rose scents of late.

Le Labo Rose 31.
    Excellent juice. The rose is pretty discreet. Blended with a cumin note that gives it a bit of a "dirty" edge like all the Le Labo line. The rose note not that pronounced to me, but it's first rate. It's their best seller for a reason.

Domencio Caraceni 1913.
    Really nice. The rose note is dark and lurking in the middle. Something else dominates after drydown- not sure what; tobacco or leather or some blend thereof. I've got a pretty dense sniffer and I can still pick out the rose in the middle. Very masculine.

C&S No. 88.
    Most people find it very similar to Caraceni. I find it lighter on me. Haven't given it enough of test wear, but it's got a lot of fans.

Voleur de Roses.
    I go back and forth on this one. It's very nice. Rose and Patchouli. Dark and kind of heavy. On me it feels a little too feminine I fear. In a couple of test wears, I was wondering if I smelled a bit like someone's rich and elderly aunt.

Amouage Lyric.
    Haven't fully tested this, but in a couple of wrist spray tests, I found it to have the most pronounced and distinct rose note of everything I've tested.

Egoiste.
    A fantastic frag. I never got the rose out of it, but it is considered a rose frag by most in here. Very nicely executed fragrance.

Montale Black Aoud.
    Tested a small sample and I like it. The rose is balanced with a sort of incense feel to me. I'll give it another look when I burn through some of my current frags.

Rose 31 and Caraceni 1913 my faves.

But don't blind buy anything on our words. If the "funk" of cumin hits you the wrong way, you'll hate Rose 31.

Caraceni 1913 might come off too heavy and cloying to many.

Try before you buy.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 11th October 2009 at 07:34 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Rose by Paul Smith - a good rose soliflore
    Nahema & Idylle by Guerlain
    Kingdom by Alexander McQueen
    Stella by Stella McCartney
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Blog Entries

Voleur de Roses by L Artisan Parfumeur

Banned
    Blog Entries

Plenty of niche but no men's designer scent cater to rose

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Plenty of niche but no men's designer scent cater to rose
    I disagree - besides the excellent Egoiste and Iquitos (which have both been mentioned a few times), there's also Acteur by Azzaro.

Scentemental's post lists others, too.

+1 Azzaro Acteur, a beautiful dry masculine rose.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

He asked for designer not niche guys

Basenotes Plus

One of my favorite cheapies is a rose scent, Perles De Lalique by Lalique. In fact, I wore it a couple days ago and worked nearly as well as other niche's rose scents.

Bruce Benson by J.A. Very inexpensive but tough to find.

Midnight Poison.

Since you asked for designer, + 1 to Azzaro Acteur, a dark velvety rose surrounded by musk. You might also go for Yardley's English Rose, a very realistic tea rose, only supported by some other notes, and this one is really cheap too.

Egoïste - the non-Platinum - indubitably.

Chanel, Egoiste
    Ungaro, Ungaro III

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Well...I don't know if anything could compare with perfection of downy dryer sheets. :bounce:

Here are my fav's:

(More masculine)
    -Rose Poivree by The Different Company
    -Voleur De Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur
    -Paestem Rose

(more feminine)
    -Une Rose by Frederic Malle
    -Rose Essentielle by Bvlgari
    -Rose by Comme Des Garcons

I'm not crazy about them, but others seem to like the Montale Roses, and Rosine's Rose D'Homme and Rose Twill.
    All niche

Okay, there are rose threads galore. I'm about sick to death of typing "Hammam Bouquet is the only rose for me." However, I just sampled something a couple of weeks back that made me stop and take serious notice. I'm almost ashamed to say it, because it's a celebrity frag, but...Kate Moss has an absolutely intoxicating rose scent! It is described as "a smokey rose with black undertones." Though I think it is probably a little sweeter than purported, is does have magnificent blend of soft roses and musky incense. With a name like Kate Moss, I expected a fougere, but so glad I got this unique floral oriental.
    Thanks for the info. Do you know the exact name of the fragrance please ?

- - - Updated - - -

Rose intense, (edp) from Seveline is pretty good.....amazingly cheap (€10) and it says on the box that it's a natural "bio" fragrance.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Egoiste and Declaration d'un soir
    my blog : bonnygonggrijp.blogspot.com

Lalique Pour Homme