Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Let's talk about cedar and saffron

My scent today, Series 2: Red Palisander - is based upon a prominent cedar note (very resinous and sappy - with a slight nod to polyurethane) and saffron. It's a very intriguing wood scent, I haven't been this excited about a prominent wood scent (frankly, wood can be a bit boring after a while to my nose) since Cypress Musc by Creed.

The combo of cedar and saffron also makes itself known in a couple of other scents: Signature Black by Jack Black, L'Homme Sage (if I'm not mistaken) and Paprika Brasil by Hermes.

Any others I'm missing? The combination of the two works wonderfully on my skin chemistry.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: Let's talk about cedar and saffron

Yann Vasnier is the nose behind Palisander, the Jack Black Signature Black Mark, and Sage - Divine.

Palisander is a really unique fragrance. When I got my first decant of it, I liked it and it smelled to me just like "Lincoln Log" toys. I only got wood out of it.

Now that I've spent some time with different perfumery materials, I have a real affinity for saffron. It's such a complex and multifaceted note in itself-- like a combination of leather/shoe polish/air conditioner refrigerant/cherry qualities.

In Palisander, the saffron is blended perfectly. It gives s sense of depth and dimension to the wood notes, which can fall flat on their own. As much as I love Sequoia, I think Palisander may be better. Where Sequoia captures the "headspace" of a forest, Palisander is like getting as close as possible to the wood itself. Like sticking your head inside a tree. A very sedating, relaxing scent.

Mike, it's nice to see another Palisander fan. It's really beautiful in its details.

saffron is the new vanilla

Let us not forget L'Artisan's Safran Troublant! OK, you got me, no cedar. But it is lovely.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Let us not forget L'Artisan's Safran Troublant! OK, you got me, no cedar. But it is lovely.
    I still haven't smelled this - I always avoided it because I thought it might be too 'foody' for my tastes. Distinct saffron notes sometimes come across like cumin to my nose...sharply.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

What's weird is that I really don't get any palisander (rosewood) out of this scent. Cedar yes, but rosewood no. Is there any other kind of palisander than the kind of Brazilian rosewood oil that is commonly available?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I still haven't smelled this - I always avoided it because I thought it might be too 'foody' for my tastes. Distinct saffron notes sometimes come across like cumin to my nose...sharply.
    "Foody", yes, but in a good way. Trust me, try it. I have trouble w/most L'Artisans, but this one is nice.

summer means fireflys

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    "Foody", yes, but in a good way. Trust me, try it. I have trouble w/most L'Artisans, but this one is nice.

I second this ... Safron Troublant is wonderful!

I love saffron, but cedar not so much ... however, put saffron with other wood like in Black Cashmere, I'm in heaven!

Ange ou Demon has a wonderful saffron note along with pallisander wood and oak. It's not really as floral as it sounds ... remember, I'm not a floral note girl

notes (from osMoz):
    Top note : Thym Blanc, Mandarine, Safran
    Middle note : Orchidee, Ylang Ylang, Fleur de Lys
    Base note : Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Pallisander wood, Oak Absolute
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Shannon, how unisex is it? So far, you are batting 100 with me. In fact, I am wearing Santal de Mysore today and loving it.

I really enjoy Pallisander but I don't own a bottle. I got a sample from Luckyscent and managed to save it for almost a year. It is my favorite from the red series. I am going to do some research on Ange ou Demon.

I will let you know what happens.