Code of Conduct

Default they don't quite fit the bill, need a recc

alright, i haven't been here in a while, which means i haven't really been tending to my scent collection as much as i used to either. i've recently gone through my collection and tried to find something that really does it for me now, and well none of them quite fit the bill anymore. they all are wonderful scents and i'm glad i have them but none of them just scream 'wear me, wear me!' anymore.

i've found that i enjoy the zingy smell of cedar, and sweet spices - however i like it mixed with something that makes it less dry but not overly sweet. i also like your run in the mill sandalwood, but not when it gets too soapy and powdery smelling like The Art of Shaving Sandalwood Oil. these are the ones in my collection that i liked the most, but i'll add my issue with them, so maybe you can get an idea of what to reccomend . . .

Chanel Allure - i used to L-O-V-E this stuff like no other. moreso, the drydown about an hour later than that initial sweet/synthetic citrus blast it has at the beginning. the deep wood smell spiked with pepper and the lingering freshness from the top is what i love about it. i want something lighter than this though and more suitable for day.

Gucci Rush - this is a mood scent for me. when i want to stand out and feel dark, i wear this. it is dry cedar alright, but maybe some spice or something to sweeten it and wet it a bit would make this the ultimate for me.

Terre d'Hermes - this stuff is magical to me. the initial spray is completely different from the drydown an hour into it. i really couldn't stand all that vetiver, wet soil and stinging citrus smell in the beginning, but once it dries it truly is beautiful. to me its soft and creamy and transparent. almost too transparent, that its slightly forgettable. i love this but i was hoping more of the wood would come through making it not so airy and slightly heavier and spicier . . . so maybe this same freshness with a bit more personality.

Gucci Pour Homme - this is like desert dry on me. i don't care for it much.

Givenchy Pour Homme - i mean the original red label one. i liked this one very much when it came out. the initial hamster cage cedar smell is heavy at first but it softens down once the grapefruit and friends join in. the spicy, cedar and the sweet grapefruit are the perfect mix to me, to where it is a real combination into a new smell, as opposed to being able to pickout the different layers. actually i like this one a lot, but the longevity is poor, and i could barely detect it after an hour.

Burberry London - well talk about perfect spice blend. i love how it smells like christmas. except it lacks the dry wood base that i enjoy.

Piper Nigrum - well hello pepper and cedar chest, this stuff overpowers my nostrils like no other, wooh, too much

Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranea - i like how the fig and cedar sparkle in this one and its just so darn likeable in the beginning. that cumin not however is what is left when its all dried down in the end and it smells too much of BO. more wood would make me happy.

Clive Christian X - i liked this one a lot. since the concentration is so high in it, it had the tendency to make me dizzy and nauseated but when sprayed very lightly, i love this stuff. its mature, yet still a bit fresh, and it definitely has a spice and strong presence to it. however, i'm not about to drop that kind of money on a scent quite yet though.

i don't know if any of this really helped you, but if you did get through all of it thank you. one option i was thinking of exploring was the Comme de Garcons route. i've liked CDG2 and CDG White was quite pleasant (althought a bit feminine). any suggestions are welcome!

Default Re: they don't quite fit the bill, need a recc

OK, you might want to try Lanvin's APREGE POUR HOMME. We've been discussing it here online recently.
    Judging by your likes, I think you would enjoy its beautiful sandalwood and precious wood base. There is an initial veil of bittery citrus, but it all comes together with a semi-sweet hint of nutmeg and vanilla. Patchouli anchors the scent, and theres a slight creaminess from the Tonka Bean.
    Give it a squirt (you only need apply a small amount - dont go overboard).

I'm glad I was able to get a full bottle of CC X on the cheap because that stuff just rocks. Mmhhmm good.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

In my mind from your description of cedar with sweet spice is a gigantic bilboard lighting up "LALIQUE POUR HOMME EQUUS" ... it also has a juniper berry note.
    p.s. Dimitri, I couldn't have written that description of Arpege PH better myself haha
    Last edited by nthny; 16th October 2007 at 05:35 PM.

Basenotes Institution

L'Homme Sage by Divine
    Series 2 Red: Palisander by Comme des Garcons
    Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garcons
    Signature Black by Jack Black
    Paprika Brasil by Hermes
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 16th October 2007 at 06:09 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Equus sounds awesome, as do the CDG's as always. i've tried Arpege and its got a bit too much of the powdery iris character to it, but i did like the woody base to it.

does anyone have any experience with Costes?

There's only one thing you need....

Dunhill Edition

I promise you, it fits your description perfectly. Don't be deterred by the cheap price, it's a "feel like a million dollars" fragrance.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    L'Homme Sage by Divine
    Series 2 Red: Palisander by Comme des Garcons
    Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garcons
    Signature Black by Jack Black
    Paprika Brasil by Hermes
    how would you describe the main differences between Sequoia and Palisander? i've read a bunch of comparisons but they are always conflicting, so whats your take on them?
    Last edited by sbbbjm; 17th October 2007 at 05:38 AM.