Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Minimalist fragrances

I'm sure we've touched on minimalist scents past, but such topics are worth revisiting.

I'm inspired by a recent introduction to Etro Lemon Sorbet. (If I recall correctly, Tigrushka wore LS this past summer--yes?)

I love how fragrances can run the gamut, from bloody melodramatic to stiffly austere. LS surely resides on Bare Bones Boulevard. It's wet note -- available only for one inhalation and even preceding its real top notes--comes close to a scent I've dreamed of finding: fresh carrot. It's cool, wet, slightly sweet and vegetal. With a second breath, the lemon and rosemary are kicking in, but I can't locate these notes more than a few millimeters away from the skin. A bitterness lasts for sheer minutes, and then the real fragrance is locked in, dry, reserved, and perfect for a professional environment--ideal for a modern architect like Frank Gehry. The only similar scent I've tried is Aromafit (d/c by Lancome), which was a dilute carrot and orange juice blend.

Lemon Sorbet, isn't as desserty as its name implies, and its lack of sillage and longevity are the reason most aren't investing in a bottle. I, too, don't find this even quite decant worthy. It's clearly test worthy. Additionally, given a recent queasiness with smells, it's one of the few scents that I can wear with impunity.

Thank you, Mike, for your thoughtfulness. It runs in your family, I know.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Minimalist fragrances

When i was reading your post, i immediately thought of B&BW's coconut Lemon vervena, but well, sans the coconut, it's very much a favorite of mine as of now, and creed's VIW borrowed a lot from it IMHO. But in this case, CLV is the simple, minimalist one.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I'm inspired by a recent introduction to Etro Lemon Sorbet. (If I recall correctly, Tigrushka wore LS this past summer--yes?)
    Yep. Nothing like it on a hot day!

Here's a link to the recent thread about LS:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=197510

When I think about minimalist, the first scent that comes to mind is Préparation Parfumée. It could be called an aquatic scent, but that wouldn't do it justice: driftwood and pepper notes give it character most "water frags" sorely lack.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Tig. And I get where you pick up a vetiver note, as you mentioned in your LS review.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Another sorbet with no sugar but more staying power is that Anthousa Citrus Sorbet that's available at Marshall's for 12.00. It is more straight up lemon/orange than the basil, mint and floral that are reported to be there too. Seemed pretty minimalist.

Other minimal scents I enjoy are the Molinard soliflores and AL Nude Musk and White Musk.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Yep. Nothing like it on a hot day!

Here's a link to the recent thread about LS:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=197510

When I think about minimalist, the first scent that comes to mind is Préparation Parfumée. It could be called an aquatic scent, but that wouldn't do it justice: driftwood and pepper notes give it character most "water frags" sorely lack.
    Preparation Parfumee was the very first thing that popped into my head when I read "minimalist"...beautiful, simple, and elegant.

Basenotes Institution

Quarry - glad you enjoyed some part of the Lemon Sorbet even if it's not full bottle worthy for you. The top notes I've never 'gotten' as carrot, so next time I splash it on I'm going to pay more attention for that. Some people they smell carrot in Dior Homme, but I never have (DH turns too makeup bag, powdery on my skin).

Minimalist, huh?

Have you made serious tests of the top scents from the L'Artisan line? I think the whole entire line is minimalist in it's style - one of the reasons why some people avoid their scents altogether. Except for a few real zingers (like Dzing or Voleur de Roses) most of their scents are light and are extremely well made. The noses behind the scents really capture unique notes. Let me know if you're interested in this line and if you want samples PM me.

Others I'd recommend: The Series 5: Sherbet scents from Comme des Garcons are quite minimal, my favorite being Cinnamon, but the Rhubarb is even lighter.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

How minimalistic ?

Read this comment to "Molecule 01 (Escentric Molecules)":

"Fill up a decant with water and half a tablespoon of black pepper, then spray it on. That's about the equivalent." :--)
    Last edited by sanatik; 18th October 2007 at 01:53 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    How minimalistic ?

Read this comment to "Molecule 01 (Escentric Molecules)":

"Fill up a decant with water and half a tablespoon of black pepper, then spray it on. That's about the equivalent." :--)
    HUGE difference if you use telecherry rather than seriwak black peppercorns and choosing spring rather than tap water. Mix and match though for a real non-fragrance kaleidoscope
    Last edited by kbe; 18th October 2007 at 02:24 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    HUGE difference if you use telecherry rather than seriwak black peppercorns and choosing spring rather than tap water. Mix and match though for a real non-fragrance kaleidoscope
    I thought these were a joke when I tried them...I literally smelled nothing from one of them...nothing!

Blog Entries

When I think 'minimalist' I imagine a dry, stark, clean, uncompromising scent apparently consisting of a single essential essence even though there is clear evolution and development of the scent on the skin.

With this example in mind a few beautifully minimalist scents for me are:

CDG Avignon
    Annick Goutal Eau D'Hadrian
    Ava Luxe Linen Musk
    Ava Luxe Red Tara
    Ava Luxe Incense
    Ava Luxe Chaotic (Chaos type)
    TBS Japanese Musk
    TBS Visionary
    Nemat Egyptian Musk Superior
    Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum
    Crown Perfumery Eau de Quinine
    Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande
    Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist
    Yardley Sandalwood
    Dana English Leather Musk
    Last edited by moondeva; 18th October 2007 at 03:03 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Well, the lines from Provence and Eau de Colognes by Guerlain are the simplest ones I wear, along with I Coloniali, but they went out of business!

Off-Scenter

Among "minimalist" scents, those I've found most successful include:

Mure et Musc
    Mare
    En Passant
    Burning Leaves
    Fraicheur Muskissime
    and perhaps Tam Dao, though others seem to find more complex accords in this scent than I do.

le labo bergamote

I would add Cristalle EDT to this list. Lemon, a bit of jasmine and hyacinth (which is very sheer and light, not a big heavy floral note at all), oakmoss and vetiver. It's extremely simple but the interplay between the citrus and the base notes keeps it interesting

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Among "minimalist" scents, those I've found most successful include:

Mure et Musc
    En Passant
    Definitely!

I packed MeM with to our Paris trip year ago, and it was a great travel scent: simple and versatile.

En Passant is the only scent with cucumber note I like. The cucumber is used very cleverly in it: it gives the illusion of rain without smelling like salad.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I must put Cristalle and En Passant on my list.

Blog Entries

Am I really the first to mention Tam Dao? It's straightforward, simple sandalwood...but oh so wonderful .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia