Code of Conduct

Thread: Lauder For Men

Red face Lauder For Men

I just bought a bottle at Bloomingdale's. I hadn't smelled it in years (more like decades) and I thought it's scent was still as sharp, masculine and "classy" as it was in the 80's.

What do you guys think?

Default Re: Lauder For Men

I bought a bottle a month ago. I love the drydown; there has to be something slightly animalic in it no?

Basenotes Institution

I wore this in high school (when I was quite enamored of all things Estee Lauder) but now it's anise note at the topnotes turns me off to it. I have to be careful with some aromatic fougeres...some repel me instantly.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

It's too bold to wear to work, but it is very nice and wears easily in a lot of situations. I get a rose note dominant into the heart notes then a floor of muskiness that seems to complement the floral notes. Lasts reasonably well too. A bargain.

Great stuff -- very dressy, very crisp. FAR better than EL's Metropolis (came out around the same time).

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

It is a really great unsung dept store scent. It is available in the mainstream but doesn't smell mainstream at all. Plus it really does amazingly smell unchanged thru the years...unlike most other things around.

In a thread recently, I asked for your assistance in finding a replacement for my discontinued HG - Giorgio for Men (1984) by Giorgio Beverly Hills. In a PM, a friend encouraged me to check out Lauder for Men saying that it had a similar feel and smell. Boy, was he ever right! I sampled it the other day and bought a full bottle yesterday. It is not Giorgio but it as close as I have gotten so far on my journey (I still have to find and sample a lot of others that were also recommended). The only drawback is that Lauder for Men is an EDC. Its longevity is decent but only about one-half the all-day experience I get from Giorgio.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I swear I get something similar to civet in this one on the drydown. Not complaining, just saying.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    In a thread recently, I asked for your assistance in finding a replacement for my discontinued HG - Giorgio for Men (1984) by Giorgio Beverly Hills. In a PM, a friend encouraged me to check out Lauder for Men saying that it had a similar feel and smell. Boy, was he ever right! I sampled it the other day and bought a full bottle yesterday. It is not Giorgio but it as close as I have gotten so far on my journey (I still have to find and sample a lot of others that were also recommended). The only drawback is that Lauder for Men is an EDC. Its longevity is decent but only about one-half the all-day experience I get from Giorgio.
    I agree - when I wore it years ago I used the body products (soap, after shave lotion) to extend the longevity and I found this worked great. Not sure what products you can still find out there...
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree - when I wore it years ago I used the body products (soap, after shave lotion) to extend the longevity and I found this worked great. Not sure what products you can still find out there...
    Thanks for the suggestion Mike! I didn't even ask the SA but I will find out what products are available.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost