Code of Conduct

Default Two Brothers - Two Very Different Perceptions

This morning before my sons left for school I had liberally applied some Light Blue (before showering - after which I decided upon Prada). My oldest son is 13, and he generally likes tropical type scents. My younger son is 8, and he loves just about anything, but he especially loves vanillas.

My Light Blue was freshly sprayed just before the 13 year-old came to kiss me good-bye. "Ack," he said as he hugged me, "something stinks. That burns my nose. It smells like a fruit salad fart - kind of musty." (Ah, the joys of having a teenager in the house). Light Blue starts out heavy-duty cedar on me, but he usually likes cedar.

About 1/2 hour later it was time for the 8 year old Nose to leave for school. He hugged and kissed me and said, "Oh Mommy, you smell so good! You smell like lemons and green apples." ( I definitely preferred this reaction. One never enjoys smelling like a fart, even if it's fruit-salad scented.)

Do you suppose the 1/2 hour between their stated opinions made a difference in how the scent smells, or do their noses pick up completely different notes from my skin? Fascinating to me.
    Last edited by Tovah; 17th October 2007 at 07:29 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Two Brothers - Two Very Different Perceptions

Great story Tovah - I'm going to steal that line: 'fruit salad fart'. LOL.

I doubt the drydown had anything to do with their reactions - most likely the scent itself appeals to the 8 y.o. better than the 13 y.o.

The first time I smelled Light Blue I didn't like it at all. Then when I joined Basenotes and heard everyone here raving about it (and then Chandler Burr from the NYT calling it 'one of the finest perfumes') I re-smelled it and I still didn't like it. However - I smelled it on a girl in Sephora (she and I were shopping and we struck up a conversation) and it smelled absolutely wonderful on her. That's when I finally 'got' Light Blue.

A few men on Basenotes wear Light Blue (coincidentally, most of us universally HATE the Light Blue for Men that came out this year) and so I know you (and the 8 year y.o.) aren't it's only fans.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

When had a bottle of Light Blue I did find that upon application it was just too harsh but became very easy to wear as the day went on!
    Or, it just might be that your older son just doesn't like Light Blue

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

The first time I smelled Light Blue I didn't like it at all. Then when I joined Basenotes and heard everyone here raving about it (and then Chandler Burr from the NYT calling it 'one of the finest perfumes') I re-smelled it and I still didn't like it.
    I didn't like it at all until quite recently. It may have to do with the fact that I'm 6 1/2 months pregnant and my chemistry is remarkably different from its usual state, LOL! "Fruit salad fart," gotta love his creativity. I don't see a future in marketing for this kid.

It's very temperamental, isn't it? On some days the lemon, apple, and amber make it beautifully rich and light at the same time. Other days, the cdear comes out and attacks my nose like an angry little dwarf with an icepick.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

cute story, tovah! and boy I remember my sense of smell going through huge changes during and after my pregnancies.

I like Light Blue when I have smelled it on other women, younger women.
    It hasn't worked on my skin when I tested it.
    One thing I DO like is their summer ad for the Men's version !
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    One thing I DO like is their summer ad for the Men's version !
    Ditto.

Love a good crotch shot.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle