Code of Conduct

Default My review of mat; very male

OK, I'm a little bummed out on this rainy day-- my Montales still haven't come yet and I just received a package from Scentiments. I had ordered Creed's Vetiver '48 and instead I opened it up to find a bottle of Original Vetiver (which I already have). Damn I was so excited that I was going to try the '48. I sent them an email and hopefully this will get fixed quickly-- I've always had great service from them before.

But, the silver lining is this-- on my order I had thrown in a bottle of Masaki Matsushima's mat; very male-- as kind of an afterthought. It was around $25 and I'd tried a sample once and it wasn't bad.

But when I opened up the box, pulled out the really cool black bottle and sprayed some on my arm I was very impressed with it. The anise/sambucca/black licorice notes are very prominent-- so if you like these notes, this is something to try. This fragrance seems to split the difference between Rive Gauche Pour Homme and Versace's Black Jeans in overall effect. Kind of like Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, but without the excess and sharp edges. Anise can be a sensual and sometimes "light" note, but Very Male gives it a dark brooding mysterious setting. This scent feels dark and bottomless. Also a bit salthy and earthy, it's good on skin.

the name "Very Male" is kind of homoerotic and clunky. Not my cup of tea, but the bottle is one of the coolest I've seen, and it looks very Japanese.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a big compliment getter.

I just noticed that I used the word "very" very often in describing this scent. I guess there's something "very" about it!
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 17th October 2007 at 10:10 PM. Reason: punctuation

Default Re: My review of mat; very male

To me this is the lighter, fresher, cooler, hipster anise to Serge Lutens' lush, creamy, decadent Douce Amere. I love them both. very male is one of the few contemporary releases I wholeheartedly enjoy and I find it very easy to wear. A favorite with my ultra blue Claude Montana blazer over a deep black shirt & trousers. Yeah!
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Indie,
    Nice review! (or should I say, "very" nice review! )

I definitely enjoy anise as a note. L. Lempicka is on my list, and I'll have to give this one a try, too. I know that anise can be divisive. Just the thing for me!

Between you two, some very good descriptions!

Best, Dave

I wish they'd release this:

matt; foley -- it's good for wearing when you're livin' in a VAN down by the RIVER!

OK, bad joke.

Your review makes me more anxious as I have been waiting for the parcel from strawberrynet to arrive! It's been 14 days, which is weird since previous orders took only 1 week.

I hope it will come today, along with Guerlain Vetiver and Preferred Stock. I'll let you know what I think about 'very male'.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Basenotes Institution

Didn't the Pet Shop Boys release an album titled, 'Very'?

Mat Male: Love the angular, mishapen lightning bolt of a bottle (I think it's very CdG). Do not like the juice. Too. Much. Anise.

But if you like anise - MM has it in spades. IndieGuy, please try (if u haven't already) the new Diesel Fuel for Life, it's anise laden also.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 18th October 2007 at 01:35 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Mat Male: Love the angular, mishapen lightning bolt of a bottle (I think it's very CdG).
    You know what the bottle actually looks like?-- it took me a while to realize it.

It's a robed Japanese man with his hands in front of him bowing in respect-- notice the way the cap is tilted in slightly like a head nodding forward.

And the women's fragrances from this line look like a female figure sitting in a lotus position with her arms extended up.

When you put the bottles together, they embrace. Very cool piece of design that expresses the Japanese essence of the designer.

I am awaiting a bottle of Mat; Very Male in a swap at this moment.

Now I am REALLY looking forward to it!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I got this one the basis of the review in the first post of this thread, and I'm very happy with it. It's my SotD for today, Friday.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I havent had the pleasure of sampling this one

However I sampled M;Men today for the second time and am WOWED at its shape-shifting qualities! Its such a understated scent, but SOOOOOO enjoyable!
    Its the male equivalent of Bvlgari's Omnia Crystalline. Sheer and transparent, but with remarkable depth.
    Since spraying Ive showered with a tea-tree oil based shower gel and M;Men is still lingering. Another imminent purchase on the horizon... *groan*

I sniffed this at lunch today. Does anyone get a similarity to B*Men? I did.
    Nice stuff.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    You know what the bottle actually looks like?-- it took me a while to realize it.

It's a robed Japanese man with his hands in front of him bowing in respect-- notice the way the cap is tilted in slightly like a head nodding forward.

And the women's fragrances from this line look like a female figure sitting in a lotus position with her arms extended up.

When you put the bottles together, they embrace. Very cool piece of design that expresses the Japanese essence of the designer.
    Sounds like they designed the bottles based upon Feng Shui, no? Sounds very Feng Shui.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Got this yesterday (thanks Thrax).

It's a very nice scent in a great bottle. The comparison to Lolita Lempicka au Masculin is a valid one, but Mat; Very Male is more wearable to my nose.

I'll try to give it the "full treatment" someday soon.

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Got this yesterday (thanks Thrax).

It's a very nice scent in a great bottle. The comparison to Lolita Lempicka au Masculin is a valid one, but Mat; Very Male is more wearable to my nose.

I'll try to give it the "full treatment" someday soon.
    Glad you like it Chuck!