Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Tam Dao = clean and polished sandalwood

I tried Tam Dao from a sample today for the first time (thanks Scentsibility). I don't own a prominent sandalwood fragrance. Others I plan on trying are Etro's, Villoresi's and The Art of Shaving's. But - getting back to the Tam Dao...

Sandalwood, which is stereotypically found doing it's dark, brooding and masculine thing in fragrances as a basenote - is here almost stripped of all of it's dirt, resinous (medicinal) qualities and texture. I felt like I was smelling a sandalwood thin veneer of wood on a hotel wall - clean, smooth, polish and matte finished. A sandalwood that you could bring home to your mother.

Now - as it developed on me, I thought: can I love a clean sandalwood fragrance? Me - the one who goes on-and-on here on Basenotes about dirt, loving 'dirty' scents - I love-love-love Santalum by Profumum which is pretty hearty, thick and messy sandalwood. Santalum is wonderful, but it ain't clean. It's also friggin expensive.

So, Tam Dao lovers/haters - can we talk about Tam Dao?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: Tam Dao = clean and polished sandalwood

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I tried Tam Dao from a sample today for the first time. I don't own a prominent sandalwood fragrance. So, Tam Dao lovers/haters - can we talk about Tam Dao?
    Funny you should focus on Tam Dao, I was considering revisiting it, too. I found it to be a little bit on the flat side when I first tried it. I do consider it beautiful. I also feel this way about CdG's Incense Series, which I know you enjoy. When I wanted to add a sandalwood to my wardrobe I ended up with Santal de Mysore from SL. I certainly respect Dyptyque as a company, but sometimes I feel they're in their element with the bougies instead of the frags.

Sandalwood, which is stereotypically found doing it's dark, brooding and masculine thing in fragrances as a basenote - is here almost stripped of all of it's dirt, resinous (medicinal) qualities and texture. I felt like I was smelling a sandalwood thin veneer of wood on a hotel wall - clean, smooth, polish and matte finished. A sandalwood that you could bring home to your mother.
    Thats exactly why I don't rank Tam Dao as a top tier sandalwood scent. Overall though, its a good enough fragrance with its dose of cypress and cedar wrapped in a thin sandalwood sheet.
    -

Tam Dao is my favorite sandalwood barely edging out Santal de Mysore for the top spot. Clean, smooth, calming, and balanced. Perfect for martial arts and meditation exercises. I have also found that it makes solid base for layering beneath other fragrances, such as Passage d'Enfer and Kyoto. My main post-workout SOTE.
    Last edited by Sloan; 18th October 2007 at 02:31 AM.

Tam Tao is a mood fragrance for me. I personally get more of a creamy cedar element from it than sandalwood. It's a little too one dimensional and linear to wear all the time. Very comforting. It's hard to go wrong with it. It's a mostly synthetic scent, so I don't get the same satisfaction from it that I do from real sandalwood oil or high quality Indian attars, but it's still one of my favorites.

I have a vial of it which is starting to run out, I might buy a full bottle at some point. I like to wear it when I don't really feel like putting on anything complex.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 18th October 2007 at 03:02 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Tam Tao is a mood fragrance for me. I personally get more of a creamy cedar element from it than sandalwood. It's a little too one dimensional and linear to wear all the time. Very comforting. It's hard to go wrong with it. It's a mostly synthetic scent, so I don't get the same satisfaction from it that I do from real sandalwood oil or high quality Indian attars, but it's still one of my favorites.

I have a vial of it which is starting to run out, I might buy a full bottle at some point. I like to wear it when I don't really feel like putting on anything complex.
    Hmm...your description of TD sounds like how I treat my Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

Yours and Michael's comments are in agreement that TD is almost aromatherapy-esque. For me, I'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing?

-- Jack Kerouac

For Tam Dao done right, check out Villoresi Sandalo .. its rosewood+cedar+lavender+wood combination creates more of a meditative aroma than Tam Dao.
    -

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    For Tam Dao done right, check out Villoresi Sandalo .. its rosewood+cedar+lavender+wood combination creates more of a meditative aroma than Tam Dao.
    I still remember the_good_life saying on another thread that Villoresi's Sandalo (I think) was his holygrail scent. That impressed me... I love Spezie (also by Villoresi) so I will try Sandalo one of these days.

-- Jack Kerouac

I actually don't smell much sandalwood in it. Diptyque would probably be really mad if they ever read that, but I don't. It's all about freshly chopped cedar and cypress for me. Hints of sandalwood at best. It smells nice and clean and I think it is a lovely study of green wood, but not sandalwood per se. I don't find myself wearing it much...it gets old fast.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

whatever you do...stay away from art of shaving sandalwood as it smells like pine and eucalyptus...sort of smells like you have been logging all day and then you go use the steamroom at the gym...very very harsh....just thought i would give you guys a heads up on that one!

I'm really fond of Tam Dao. It's minimalist and versatile. I like it's pureness more than more orchestrated scents like Santal Noble. Tam Dao is creamy and smooth, but nice and burnt around the edges-- and it's got a bitterness like roasted coffee. In cool weather, it's one of my faves to wear to work-- I keep catching whiffs throughout my shift-- it's very centering.

I think its minimalist/stripped nature actually makes it something that I don't get sick of. There is supposed to be an ambergris note-- the base does have something like a petrol note that gives it a nice gritty palpaple nature. A girl I work with always comments favorably when I wear Tam Dao-- "That's the one I really like," she says.

Mike, another one I'd suggest trying is Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Sandalo Inspiritu. I know you've previously mentioned wanting to check out the DSH line, and this would be a great place to start. It's one of the best from her line, and probably my favorite sandalwood (although there are several, including Villoresi and SL Santal de Mysore, that I've never tried). I can probably pick up a carded sample for you, give me a holler if you're interested.

I'm not a huge Tam Dao fan, I just find it pleasant but underwhelming.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 18th October 2007 at 04:25 AM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I own a full bottle of Tam Dao. It is a necessary fragrance in any collection. I find it to be the best sandalwood. Yes it is creamy but it has the distinct pencil shavings note that I adore. It smells like you are walking down the lumber aisle at the DIY store. It doesn't evolve much from start to finish but I like that because you don't have to wait to get to the good part. Must every fragrance be so complex that you have to endure many phases to get where you want to be? I would think not. Tam Dao is a winner in my book.

That's one I've been meaning to try for ages. I love LV's Musk, and Dilmun. I should try to score a decant of Sandalo soon.

I find Tam Dao to be more smooth flowing than LV Sandalo, which I like because of its complexity.

For Tam Dao done with florals and a touch of musk, try Ava Luxe No. 23. Reminds me of a slightly sweet version of Tam Dao.

If you give Art of Shaving time to dry down it really becomes something special. I personally love the top notes as well. Bracing and sharp, very masculine scent indeed; oh...and different from some of the other smooth, zen-like, meditative sandlewood frags being discussed. They are all nice, but Art of Shaving is distinctive, and it's your decision if that is good or bad.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 18th October 2007 at 01:20 PM.

I agree with Jock. I'm wearing AOS Sandalwood today and it's smooth and clean. Very manly and it packs a "bite". My wife complimented me on it this AM.

I overapplied, but I was sick of wearing scents that disappear. I have no meetings scheduled, so I was not worried about offending anyone!

I'm tempted to try this one.. please keep posting.

Off-Scenter

Tam Dao has always smelled much more of cedar to me than of sandalwood. In find it very simple and linear (not necessarily bad things) and even mentioned it among "minimalist" fragrances in a current thread on the Female Fragrance board.

My preference is for richer, smoother, and somewhat sweeter sandalwoods that evolve more than Tam Dao does. Well-regarded scents of that sort include Santal Imperial and Santal Noble. The latter is "must-try" material in my book. For those who like their woods drier and "scratchier" there's Satellite's Padparadscha, which reminds me alot of Tam Dao.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 18th October 2007 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Tam Dao has always smelled much more of cedar to me than of sandalwood. In find it very simple and linear (not necessarily bad things) and even mentioned it among "minimalist" fragrances in a current thread on the Female Fragrance board.
    I smell a lot more cedar in Santal Noble than in Tam Dao (which has a fair amount of green in it too). Santal Noble is far from a super sandalwood fragrance .. it smells too much like the innards of a wooden chest (all that cedar), with coffee beans. Once upon a time it used to be my fave, but after trying 15 other sandalwood fragrances, it has fast dropped down my list of fave sandalwoods. Tam Dao over Santal Noble for me.
    -

Basenotes Institution

I don't like Santal Noble either.

I remember this Creed rep once (around Christmas time) approaching me when I was in Kansas City shopping at the Plaza at Halls dept. store - with a tester of Santal Noble in her hand asking me if I'd like to try it. I wrinkled my nose up at her and told her I didn't think I'd like it (I was a Creed-hater at the time). She told me that 'every man that smells this likes it'. Needless to say she spritzed me and I didn't like it. I immediately asked to smell the new Badgley Mischka scent (for women) and she made this face, 'That's for women' she said, and called another SA to help me. (giggle)

I think of this story, every time I see a bottle of Santal Noble.

-- Jack Kerouac

Off-Scenter

I smell a lot more cedar in Santal Noble than in Tam Dao (which has a fair amount of green in it too). Santal Noble is far from a super sandalwood fragrance .. it smells too much like the innards of a wooden chest (all that cedar), with coffee beans. Once upon a time it used to be my fave, but after trying 15 other sandalwood fragrances, it has fast dropped down my list of fave sandalwoods. Tam Dao over Santal Noble for me.
    Another fine testament to the individuality of scent perception! I get no cedar at all out of Santal Noble. The coffee, yes. And I do agree that Santal Noble is about much more than sandalwood - certainly much less of a "pure wood" fragrance than Tam Dao. So much so that it may indeed be unfair to label it a "sandalwood fragrance." Meanwhile, I seem to be alone in perceiving Tam Dao not as "creamy" at all, but rather as "scratchy," the same way as the cedar shavings in my daughter's guinea pig cage. Go figure.

The bottom line: everybody's got to try these scents out for themselves.
    --------------------------------------
    I don't like Santal Noble either.

I remember this Creed rep once (around Christmas time) approaching me when I was in Kansas City shopping at the Plaza at Halls dept. store - with a tester of Santal Noble in her hand asking me if I'd like to try it. I wrinkled my nose up at her and told her I didn't think I'd like it (I was a Creed-hater at the time). She told me that 'every man that smells this likes it'. Needless to say she spritzed me and I didn't like it. I immediately asked to smell the new Badgley Mischka scent (for women) and she made this face, 'That's for women' she said, and called another SA to help me. (giggle)

I think of this story, every time I see a bottle of Santal Noble.
    Santal Noble or Santal Imperial? Santal Imperial is a 19th century Creed scent. Santal Noble is a 1988 entry from Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. I find Santal Imperial rather stuffy and overbearing. Santal Noble resembles it not in the least.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 18th October 2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Another fine testament to the individuality of scent perception! --------------------------------------

Santal Noble or Santal Imperial? Santal Imperial is a 19th century Creed scent. Santal Noble is a 1988 entry from Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. I find Santal Imperial rather stuffy and overbearing. Santal Noble resembles it not in the least.
    Yes indeed !(to your first statement that is). Its Santal Noble that I find heavy and overbearing, with its bucketloads of cedar, coffee and what not. Santal Imperial on the other hand is one of the finest sandalwood frags ever created - a simple and slick citrus-sandalwood-tonka construction!
    Last edited by zztopp; 18th October 2007 at 07:27 PM.
    -

Basenotes Institution

Meanwhile, I seem to be alone in perceiving Tam Dao not as "creamy" at all, but rather as "scratchy," the same way as the cedar shavings in my daughter's guinea pig cage. Go figure.

--------------------------------------

I read some the of the reviews of Tam Dao yesterday and thought the 'creamy' word was out of place on what I smelled on my skin too. I thought it was as dry as L'Air du Desert Marocain and to me, creamy suggest wetness. Go figure, indeed.

And yes, my bad - I was speaking of the Santal Imperial by Creed. Santal Noble I haven't smelled.

-- Jack Kerouac

Off-Scenter

Yes indeed !(to your first statement that is). Its Santal Noble that I find heavy and overbearing, with its bucketloads of cedar, coffee and what not. Santal Imperial on the other hand is one of the finest sandalwood frags ever created - a simple and slick citrus-sandalwood-tonka construction!
    LOL.

This is a hoot! I concur absolutely that Santal Noble is anything but light. At least if we both find ourselves in a scent shop facing the last remaining bottle each of Santal Noble and Santal Imperial we won't be tripping over each other in the rush to get at them!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 18th October 2007 at 07:39 PM.

I find Santal Imperial rather stuffy and overbearing.
    Confuse me? Did you mean Santal Noble? Stuffy and overbearing are hardly the words that come to mind when I think of Creed's Santal Imperial. Light, refreshing, and perfect for the summer are more apt. Perhaps the best sandalwood fragrance for warm weather IMO. I'll be adding a bottle or flacon to my collection next summer.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Confuse me? Did you mean Santal Noble? Stuffy and overbearing are hardly the words that come to mind when I think of Creed's Santal Imperial. Light, refreshing, and perfect for the summer are more apt. Perhaps the best sandalwood fragrance for warm weather IMO. I'll be adding a bottle or flacon to my collection next summer.
    Not on me. A heavy, sweet soapiness in the drydown leaves Santal Imperial smelling very "perfumey" on me, though I do enjoy the opening. Santal Noble is obviously no lightweight, but I much prefer its mossy/musky, amber touched drydown to the Creed. As before, to each his (or her) own!

I was thinking about picking up a nice sandalwood scent for this Fall/Winter. I might pick Tam Dao because I'm testing it out today and really like it, but I was wondering how some people felt about its longevity and sillage. I think I can still smell it, but hard to tell because I just finished off the tiny bit still left in my sample vial....Anyone have any thoughts on this?

BTW, does anyone get vetiver in this, and does anyone know the pyramid for this....I can't find it anywhere.

Also, anyone know of some other really good Diptyque scents to try while I'm at this store, you can check out my wardrobe to see what I like.

Also, I was testing Santal Noble, I like it, but it has this old fashion mature vibe to it, I was looking for something a bit more modern, anyone have any suggestions for a good modern day Sandalwood scent?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 23rd October 2007 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I was thinking about picking up a nice sandalwood scent for this Fall/Winter.
    Also, anyone know of some other really good Diptyque scents to try while I'm at this store, you can check out my wardrobe to see what I like.

Also, I was testing Santal Noble, I like it, but it has this old fashion mature vibe to it, I was looking for something a bit more modern, anyone have any suggestions for a good modern day Sandalwood scent?

Thanks for any help.
    I agree that Tam Dao smells more of Cedar than sandalwood, as has been previously stated. For me Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore is tops. For a bargain priced sandalwood, try Caswell Massey's Tricorn. It lasts for ever and gives off major sillage. But, it is "old school".
    The other Diptyque scents that I like are, Eau Lente - an opopanax dream, Philosykos, their classic fig fragrance by Olivia Giacobetti and Virgillio - kitchen herbs, green and earthy.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 23rd October 2007 at 06:24 PM.

Michael Edwards lists Tam Dao in the Woody Oriental - Classical family and says that "Tam Dao is one of the very rare scents to play the sandalwood partition solo." Basenotes shows this 'pyramid' in the review section - sandalwood all by itself.

Osmoz, on the other hand, lists the following notes in French (maybe a kind soul could translate the pyramid especially bresil, goa, and musc blancs (white musk?). ) :

Top note : cyprès d’Italie, myrte, bois de rose, du brésil

Middle note : bois de santal, de Goa, cèdre

Base note : ambre gris, vanille, muscs blancs
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 23rd October 2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: can't spell
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

OO, that sounds good!!! I'm gonna have to save up some pennies. Actually, lots and lots of pennies.

I love Tam Dao, and I guess that means I also like fairly straight sandalwood, not having had as much experience as you guys in that area. To me it's the kind of oriental exoticism that I really like. My little decant is nearly out - I hope I can find a Tam Dao decanter (or hater!) to replenish it! It does seem relatively short-lasting, maybe because it's "purer"?

Good thread guys!
    Dave

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    ...I was wondering how some people felt about its longevity and sillage. I think I can still smell it, but hard to tell because I just finished off the tiny bit still left in my sample vial....Anyone have any thoughts on this?

BTW, does anyone get vetiver in this, and does anyone know the pyramid for this....I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks for any help.
    Tam Dao's longevity is average and very acceptable.

I get no vetiver in Tam Dao, at all.

I second the Diptyque recommendations that Ruggles listed above and add: L'Ombre dans L'Eau - quite a good rose scent, that has a tangy, candy note in it that I find addictive.

For a VERY comprehensive sandalwood thread click here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=171844 I recommend Envy by Gucci and/or Santalum by Profumum (which is my favorite, but its way overpriced!)
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd October 2007 at 08:19 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

Yes, TwoRoads, "muscs blancs" = white musks (plural)

bois de rose, du brésil
    rosewood from brazil

bois de santal, de Goa
    sandalwood from goa
    Last edited by PaulSC; 23rd October 2007 at 08:26 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Yes, TwoRoads, "muscs blancs" = white musks (plural)

rosewood from brazil

sandalwood from goa
    Thanks PaulSC !

I didn't even think to make the association with geographical locations. I have learned something today which would have made my grandmother happy as it was one of her dictums!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Thanks for the suggestions..I thought my post sounded a bit annoying so I didn't think I'd get too many responses, but thanks again...I also see about that I try Opone..sounds good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    It's a mostly synthetic scent, so I don't get the same satisfaction from it that I do from real sandalwood oil or high quality Indian attars, but it's still one of my favorites.
    I read on the Diptyque site..or somewhere else, they use 4% perfume oil and it's all natural essences...and no synthetics....so kinda strange....I think it smells very natural.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 23rd October 2007 at 10:59 PM.

I still recommend tam dao. Even when I just want to smell it, I spray it into the air and it creates a very comfortable enviroment. The best sadalwood out there. My #2 choice would be santal noble which I find inferrior.

Tam Dao was one of my best blind buys ever.

I had decided to be adventurous and buy either Tam Dao or Santal Noble unsniffed. It was a toss up. I loved Tam Dao right away. Later I got a sample of Santal Noble and was glad I didn't buy it. Not bad, but I found Tam Dao worlds better. I really like the rosewood note in Tam Dao. Also Tam Dao is so versatile. Beautiful packaging as well.

I think I'll wear it to work tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I agree that Tam Dao smells more of Cedar than sandalwood, as has been previously stated. For me Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore is tops.
    Ditto.

Basenotes Institution

I'm wearing this again today, from a sample, and I'm seriously wondering why I don't own a bottle of this yet.

It's sandalwood note peeks here and there out from underneath all of the wood notes, and it's extremely easy to wear in the heat. I have a supermarket discount cologne splash that is scented with sandalwood (that I paid $3 for a 200 ml bottle) and the feel of this fragrance reminds me of TD. Sheer, light, minimal, and simple eaux cologne style sandalwood. Not serious, austere or complex - but today, simple felt really good.

-- Jack Kerouac

I'm wearing this again today, from a sample, and I'm seriously wondering why I don't own a bottle of this yet.

It's sandalwood note peeks here and there out from underneath all of the wood notes, and it's extremely easy to wear in the heat. I have a supermarket discount cologne splash that is scented with sandalwood (that I paid $3 for a 200 ml bottle) and the feel of this fragrance reminds me of TD. Sheer, light, minimal, and simple eaux cologne style sandalwood. Not serious, austere or complex - but today, simple felt really good.
    Tam Dao is good stuff.

It just feels right and I maintain that it is a smooth, very comforting fragrance that works well year around. I just may get another bottle since I ran out not long ago. Tam Dao and Hinoki are two woody fragrances that are must owns.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

im not sure how many have actually sniffed sandalwood...as in, the wood in itself. Tam dao is a clear representaion of how the wood smells when pressed against/brought close to nose. scents like Santalum represent sandalwood oil and not the smell of the wood per se. all this based on the block of sandal-wood i have in my hand now Tam-dao is as good as it gets when it comes to sandalwood.

Villoresi Sandalo is another scent which interprets the smell of sandalwood pretty well.

I have a supermarket discount cologne splash that is scented with sandalwood (that I paid $3 for a 200 ml bottle) and the feel of this fragrance reminds me of TD.
    For God's sake, tell us the name of it! Please!

I wanted to like TD, infact, when I first tested it, I enjoyed the scent. I thought to myself, "so this is what sandal wood is supposed to smell like!" My only other experiences with sandal wood is Original Santal (which I'm told smells nothing like real sandal wood) and MPG Santal Noble, which, to my nose, smells more ambery than like wood. The next day I gave it a full wearing...big mistake. I found myself surrounded by an inescapable cream puff of sweet woody aroma. It wasn't very strong, but the texture of the fragrance just didn't agree with me. I didn't enjoy it one bit.

I'm hoping to revisit it after I get over that memory. Or maybe I'm just not compatible with sandal wood.

It smelt like playdoh on me. And even my mother, who seems to have completely opposite taste to me, and often never smells what I smell agreed. Pure playdoh.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    For God's sake, tell us the name of it! Please!
    LOL

It's just called Colonia Sandalo by Legitima brand (?). I'll post a picture of it when I get home. Nothing special, the bottle (with a screw off top) is plastic.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th June 2009 at 09:09 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

Funny this thread would get bumped. I had Tam Dao on as my SotD and I was left indifferent. I used to think differently about Tam Dao previously, but after yesterday's SotD experience [too sweet, cloying & harshly synthetic] -- I'd call it a pseudo sandalwood at best. I'm glad I don't own a bottle.

Maybe a lighter application would help. I spritzed 6 times from my decant as I was traveling, otherwise the usual dose is about 3 sprays -- but the weather was much more favorable.
    Last edited by Amit; 25th June 2009 at 01:41 AM. Reason: typo

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    too sweet, cloying & harshly synthetic
    These symptoms sound like the product of overspraying rather than the frag itself.
    If Polge had replaced Chanel Allure Homme "Sport" with "Fraiche", Basenotes would be all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    These symptoms sound like the product of overspraying rather than the frag itself.
    Disagree. I sprayed from a decant, that too not full sprays. It's probably the equivalent of 2 full sprays from the bottle -- and that's hardly overspraying. Maybe it wouldn't had gotten cloying if I had spritzed just twice from the decant, but then it wouldn't had lasted past 15-20 minutes as I was traveling [train/bus etc.

Also, care to explain how would overspraying make any scent smell synthetic and too sweet?

It's a decent fragrance, but I find it too sharply synthetic to rate over any number very fine sandalwoods.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I think its minimalist/stripped nature actually makes it something that I don't get sick of.
    Amen to that.
    It's its very lineair nature which I find very appealing. The opening is a bit of a mess, but once it settles into that gorgeous creamy heart, I'm won over every time. For me Tam Dao is as much of a multitasker as I own: I consider it a work scent, a meditative scent, a free time scent AND a dress-up scent.

Mikeperez: have you tried Ava Luxe no. 23, perchance? To me, it's VERY similar, only on the sweeter/gentler side. Less pine, more flowers, but only marginally.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Mikeperez: have you tried Ava Luxe no. 23, perchance? To me, it's VERY similar, only on the sweeter/gentler side. Less pine, more flowers, but only marginally.
    Yes, but it was a LONG time ago and I can't remember what it smelled like. Maybe next time I order something I'll ask for a sample. Nonetheless, I think I like TD so much I will be getting a decant soon.

-- Jack Kerouac

Does anyone get a subtle Rose note in Tam Dao? I swear I smell a tiny bit of Rose in the middle development.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 25th June 2009 at 02:09 PM.

Yes, but it was a LONG time ago and I can't remember what it smelled like. Maybe next time I order something I'll ask for a sample. Nonetheless, I think I like TD so much I will be getting a decant soon.

count me in as a Big time Tam Dao fan...if you liked TD, then may i suggest Villoresi Sandalo as well. for me, as i have always maintained, Tam Dao represents the smell of Sandalwood paste. In india tradional Hindu's use sandalwood paste as a part of prayer rituals. it's made by rubbing a block of sandalwood on marble with rose water added to create the paste (i find this very same accord in No. 88). Tam Dao smells just like that paste. whereas Villoresi Sandalo has a bit more "brown" feel to it with a tinge of sandalwood oil kind of resinous feel. openinsd accords are a bit soapy though, i guess thats the character of Sandalwood as a note...anyways, i'd regard both these creations as one of the best interpretations of Sandalwood...
    Last edited by jenson; 25th June 2009 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    count me in as a Big time Tam Dao fan...if you liked TD, then may i suggest Villoresi Sandalo as well. for me, as i have always maintained, Tam Dao represents the smell of Sandalwood paste. In india tradional Hindu's use sandalwood paste as a part of prayer rituals. it's made by rubbing a block of sandalwood on marble with rose water added to create the paste (i find this very same accord in No. 88). Tam Dao smells just like that paste. whereas Villoresi Sandalo has a bit more "brown" feel to it with a tinge of sandalwood oil kind of resinous feel. openinsd accords are a bit soapy though, i guess thats the character of Sandalwood as a note...anyways, i'd regard both these creations as one of the best interpretations of Sandalwood...
    This is informative! Good post!

AromiErotici

Thanks for the accurate description jen. That resinous quality of LV is what I don't care for and I find Tam Dao much smoother and pleasant. The oil in LV has a gravity I seek and its longevity is superior to Tam Dao, but I just don't care for the scent itself.

Tam Dao is something I really should get a bottle of. I have been procrastinating.

Basenotes Institution

I don't why I haven't smelled the Villoresi one yet...too many scents, too little time I guess...

-- Jack Kerouac

I've written about Villoresi Sandalo on previous threads too. It is indeed one of the better Sandalwood scents available on the market today. To me the soapy character of the Villoresi persists throughout the development of the fragrance, albeit subtly. Wearing it creates the olfactory equivalent of having bathed in a high quality sandalwood oil soap -- magnificent.

LOL

It's just called Colonia Sandalo by Legitima brand (?). I'll post a picture of it when I get home. Nothing special, the bottle (with a screw off top) is plastic.
    Cool, thanks! Unfortunately it does not appear to be available on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Does anyone get a subtle Rose note in Tam Dao? I swear I smell a tiny bit of Rose in the middle development.
    I get that too. I'm pretty sure that's the rosewood.