Code of Conduct

Default Question to ladies

Good afternoon!

Givenchy Gentleman.

How do you like it? Do you enjoy it on men or not?

Default Givenchy Gentleman

Good afternoon!

How do you like Givenchy Gentleman?
    Do you enjoy wearing it youserlf? Do you like it when you smell it on the others?

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman

I remember smelling this on an older gent (say 60) when i was behind him in a queue..

This really did suit him.. But for me.. i would have no chance pulling it off !!

Quote Originally Posted by deck89 View Post
    I remember smelling this on an older gent (say 60) when i was behind him in a queue..

This really did suit him.. But for me.. i would have no chance pulling it off !!
    I'm 24

Yeah. Dont get me wrong.. This is a wonderful creation but i doubt that the young ladies would come flocking!!

MOST would not understand the scent..
    Last edited by deck89; 18th October 2007 at 12:46 PM.

I think it's a terrific scent. Does tend to fit a more "Mature" nose, but that has little to do with age, more to do with your personal style.

Try searching on the forum a bit, there have been several threads devoted to GG even as shortly as my weary mind can recall whereupon you'll find all kinds of great (and varied) opinions - I'll help get you started:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ight=Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
    I think it's a terrific scent. Does tend to fit a more "Mature" nose, but that has little to do with age, more to do with your personal style.

Try searching on the forum a bit, there have been several threads devoted to GG even as shortly as my weary mind can recall whereupon you'll find all kinds of great (and varied) opinions - I'll help get you started:

Thanks! I've looked thu most of these thread already.
    Just trying to get some up to date opinion

Not to glad you all think youn ladies won't like GG though.
    I myself quite the scent quite interesting and sophisticated. You may say it stinks in a way though - so does Kouros which is my absolute favourite.
    Last edited by deeablow; 18th October 2007 at 01:15 PM.

I am wearing it today. It doesn't smell dated at all; just very classy and full.
    I am not sure why there is such a fear of patchouli everywhere. It is a wonderful smell, and Gentleman serves patchouli well.

I was reading the other threads about Gentleman, and it is astounding to me how some of us are so influenced by perceived reactions of others to what you wear as a frag. Common sense and moderate application usually serves me well regardless of what I am wearing. If others don't recognize good taste when they get a whiff, I am not going to cater to them by not wearing it anymore. It is there problem not mine.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 18th October 2007 at 04:00 PM.

Once again, Jock, I'm with you. 2 sprays of GG and you'll be pleasing to yourself and most others. The rest will get over it. AND THANK GOD YOU CAN ACTUALLY SMELL IT! These light, unnoticeable scents are boring me to tears!

GG goes on like a lion and stays around like a lamb, well maybe not a lamb - perhaps, a RAM! Love it, I only wish I had the vintage juice.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 18th October 2007 at 01:46 PM.

I just think you should go with whatever you like, smells good with your chemistry, and suits the season, as well as what you're wearing. When I was your age, I was not wearing boring light scents, fruit cocktails or perfume that smelled like candy bars with bug spray on them and neither were my boyfriends.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    I just think you should go with whatever you like, smells good with your chemistry, and suits the season, as well as what you're wearing. When I was your age, I was not wearing boring light scents, fruit cocktails or perfume that smelled like candy bars with bug spray on them and neither were my boyfriends.
    Thanks for advice, lady!
    You personally - how do you like the scent itself?

Holy Cow the drydown on GG is nice. I hope others around me get the wiffs I am getting. Sublime stuff for sure. My SOTD and will wear it again tonight. Yummy!
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 18th October 2007 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
    Agreed whole heartedly. I'm 21 and wear GG all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Love it, I only wish I had the vintage juice.
    I've seen the vintage juice show up on ebay a couple times, even for decent prices.

You guys are making me want to wear this! Maybe tomorrow, but it does not seem like a Friday scent...

I'm gonna try this soon.
    On a side note ,I recently tried Monsieur de Givenchy . Very easy to wear citrus indeed. Maybe too "old man"smelling for some, but smells very classy to me.

The thing about GG on me is the civet, I think. Sometimes it is so smooth and nice and others the civet just makes it unbearable. Right now I have a small splash bottle, but I'm thinking soon I'm gonna give a full spray bottle a go again.

I am with jock and chuck. If you want a straight up patch scent done infinitely well, there can be none other than GG. I don't own it but often think about buying it. It readlly is that good of a patchouly frag and there is a reason it made a come back. It you want a nice patch note where the patch doesn't dominate the entire frag, some people like L'Instant by Guerlain but I like the Moantale Aouds as most have just the right amount of patch to keep you happy!

Hmmmm do I sense an up and coming Basenotes flavor of the month??? So long TdH!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I think it is an exceptional fragrance, a long time favorite of mine. Best not applied to heavily. As with a lot of stronger fragrances application is important. I usually like to hold the bottle a bit further away then usual when I spray it. It gets distributed better and smells great without being overpowering.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

I really like this one. I tried it on the other day at Shoppers and was very pleased. It has a real "old school" coolness to it without smelling old. Classy and confident. Sharp. Mature is a good word, in the best of senses. I need to pick this up one day.

I have been wearing GG for 25+ years. It is my main patchouli frag. As others have stated, it's a try before you buy because of the civet. Gentleman is a very good value. Though it is not cutting-edge, it remains a relevant, stalwart winner.

I'd just like to retract my belief that GG isn't wearable in public. I admit that I was scared off at first by the topnotes (hangs head in shame). Well, based on everyone's comments on this thread and others, I went ahead and gave it a full wearing today. One spray shared between both wrists. I was prepared for the worst. But it was AWESOME. It just really blended with my chemistry well, and did not end up smelling dirty at all. A nice warm smell for the first snow of the season. When I was asked what scent I was wearing, I cringed and braced myself, but it was a compliment! :toppie:

I'll be wearing this a lot more now
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 22nd October 2007 at 03:27 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Sometimes, I am convinced it's the most perfect fragrance ever made. It's always in my top five.
    I have been wearing it on and off now since 1980.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 30th December 2007 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Sometimes, I am convinced it's the most perfect fragrances ever made. It's always in my top five.

scentemental
    Scentemental, what do you think of Bond no. 9 HOT Always, which has borrowed from Givenchy Gentleman ?
    -

zz,

I can't remember if I've tried it or not, but I'll certainly dig out a sample and give it a try, just not tonight. I have 4 fragrances I am testing on each arm. There's no room for anything else, and, besides Musc Ravageur is crowding out everything. I wanted to try it after making a rash statement that I didn't think MR contained civet. My current impression is that it probably does contain civet, but the civet is not acting like the natural civet I know from other fragrances where I know it's present.

I hope I am pleasantly surprised with Hot Always. I don't really care much that Bond No. 9 tends to rip off other fragrances houses and their creations. As long as the rip off satisfies in the manner of say New Haarlem EDP and Hamptons EDP. I prefer these two fragrances over and above the ones they ripped off. Even though I might end up liking Hot Always, I can't imagine it could be better than Givenchy Gentleman. I just can't ever imagine that to be the case. I'll report back when I have sampled Hot Always.

Best regards,

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 22nd October 2007 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Hmmmm do I sense an up and coming Basenotes flavor of the month??? So long TdH!
    Not so fast. Have you seen the Rive Gauche thread? .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Sometimes, I am convinced it's the most perfect fragrances ever made. It's always in my top five.
    Old or new version? I've been using the new, so I have no idea how they differ or if they differ much. I just know I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Not so fast. Have you seen the Rive Gauche thread? .
    But Rive Gauche already had it's turn at the top. For a looooong time! I'm all Rive Gauched out.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Old or new version? I've been using the new, so I have no idea how they differ or if they differ much. I just know I like it . . .

LiveJazz,

I've only ever tried and have constantly owned the older, vintage formulation since it first came out. I haven't tried the new one yet, but from most accounts it sounds like they did a good job. I'm very happy to hear you like it.

Best regards,

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 22nd October 2007 at 03:50 PM.

I've found the new issue to be nearly identical.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    what do you think of Bond no. 9 HOT Always, which has borrowed from Givenchy Gentleman ?
    My 2 cents: Yes, Bond's HA is a replica of GG. I tried it again today at the Bond Boutique on Bond Street in New York and then went to the gym. It's the same as GG - more or less, the top notes are less agressive, there is civet, which I think is missing from the new GG, but it doesn't evole much after the middle notes, it just fades. I like it, but GG is a fraction of the cost for a just a few minor differences.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 24th October 2007 at 05:02 AM.

I started to wear this today, but I had a meeting in close quarters.

I went with Egoiste Platium instead. HAH! It's probably just as strong. I was just tired of wearing weaklings.

Tomorrow is GG!

I tried this last night and was quite impressed: this fragrance has so much personality! It also strikes me as the antithesis of modern, fresh scents. This is an old-smelling fragrance to my nose: something strange and musty and complex, like exploring an abandoned building with your nose.
    The opening is almost powdery, but so utterly removed from the usual floral context of "powdery" that I can hardly call it that: I imagine those lemon candies with the powder inside, some spices sprinkled over top.
    The main body of the fragrance is odd, as I smell a lot more than the listed notes of leather, civet, vetiver and patchouli. I get a definite oakmoss note, for example, though it's in the background, and also a touch of tobacco. Of course, I get weird mixes of other undefinable things too, including something that smells rather like dirty clothing and old furniture.
    This is weird and delightful, but I can see why some people are scared off by this fragrance.

Do you know when it was reformed anyone??I have here a botlle from circa 1990, sqaure end on shape with a removable plastic cover over the top and another purchased today in the sales. I am going to do arm to arm on these but wanted to check if I have the old one first.Cheers for any help..
    LiveJazz,

I've only ever tried and have constantly owned the older, vintage formulation since it first came out. I haven't tried the new one yet, but from most accounts it sounds like they did a good job. I'm very happy to hear you like it.

Best regards,

scentemental
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 30th December 2007 at 06:29 PM.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Hello, this is my very first reply to basenotes! "cherry popt!" I just purchased GG yesterday. My brother wore this back in the disco 70's and I enjoyed the smell back then, to his much overused Aramis at the time. Today I purchased Perry Ellis 360 White. The White amazingly has a lighter and somewhat more powdery GG scent to it. I'd like to hear if anyone else has smelled PE 360 White in comparison?

I love Basenotes! I used to be into Fragrances back inthe 80's and got away from them for many years. I was "born again" into the love and addiction of fragrances about a month ago. I've fallen deep! I had my first Creed experience yesterday as well. Heavenly!
    Last edited by JickyMan; 30th December 2007 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Do you know when it was reformed anyone??I have here a botlle from circa 1990, sqaure end on shape with a removable plastic cover over the top and another purchased today in the sales. I am going to do arm to arm on these but wanted to check if I have the old one first.Cheers for any help..
    I think the box is the biggest indication of reformulation. The old box is the white and black one that is pictured under the basenotes directory, the new one is black and silver.

Old:

New:

I've seen the vintage forumlation pop up on ebay a couple times, I should really look into it as I'm a big GG fan.

Aaron01 - top information, and it tells me I still have 1/2 a bottle of old GG to go before I need to face the horror of new school!

GG is a stone classic - my first bottle lasted me from 89-93.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

I wouldn't be weary of the new formulation. I have no experience with the old juice to compare it to, but the new stuff is top notch, I can only imagine how good the old juice is.

I'll dissent and say I didn't care for it, preferring Monsieur de Givenchy. But.....I'll have to revisit it now considering the mostly positive comments.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)