Code of Conduct

Default New versus vintage Chamade

I just received a new EdT Chamade (Guerlain) as a gift. I noticed quite soon that it has a different opening than my vintage EdT. They are both pretty sharp/bergamot-y in the opening, but the new edition has a strange, not so pleasant note that sticks out - it smells a bit like sweat, actually. The old one is clean and perfect while the new has a strangely artificial side. The drydown is pretty similar though.

Anyone else found this difference?

Default Re: New versus vintage Chamade

To me, there was some vetiver in the opening before the new Chamade turned into the sweet powder that I know as vintage Chamade. Vetiver is a base note, but I find that it has an almost volatile aroma at the time of initial application. This was the major difference between old and new. I wish they had not changed it, because the original was perfect in every way. However, in the parfum form, new Chamade is still gorgeous once it gets past that initial un-sweet blast.

Thanks for your posting, purplebird. I actually later saw a post from you on a Chamade-theme. So it's vetiver? Interesting. It smells a bit weird, as I said rater sweat-like...? I actually have the extrait-version, one 30 ml and one 8 ml, the 30 ml is vintage, the other one I think might be the new edition. And true, that one doesn't open in this weird way. The opening is very very dry (I guess the vetiver), but doesn't smell of sweat...

I cannot vouch for that, as I am uncertain if it is vetiver.
    Here is why I guessed it was vetiver: It was dry and harsh, with some woody, green characteristics. It combined strangely with the sweet, powdery notes of Chamade. Why on earth would Guerlain choose this particular, additional note? To mask the removal of the now-restricted oakmoss?

I can better identify vetiver since trying Ayala Moriels Vetiver Blanc, which was an attractive, simple combination of three natural vetivers. However, I no longer have my vial of the new Chamade parfum to compare. To me, vetiver is more grassy than woody (like patchouli or sandalwood).

I really odd that they did this yes. Especially because that the drydown is as good as always. Normally they try to make the new formulations stronger, but the new Chamade is much weaker than the old one. Strange...