Code of Conduct

Default Chanel No. 19 EdT - Tell me I am not crazy

I bought a bottle of Chanel No.19 EdT today because I really love the iris and galbanum in this. The SA suggested it and we both though it smelled rather masculine on me. I love green frags and I love florals, but I hope this doesn't come off too feminine to others. Anybody else own No. 19 EdT?

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Chanel No. 19 EdT - Tell me I am not crazy

Hey, why not! I wear Carnal Flower, for heaven's sake, and I assure you there's nothing effeminate about me. (Or my beard.) The trick, I think, is to wear such things with conviction and confidence.

I admire it and have considered it along with O by lancome by ultimately, I didn't think I could pull it off. However, I think you can if you believe you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I bought a bottle of Chanel No.19 EdT today because I really love the iris and galbanum in this. The SA suggested it and we both though it smelled rather masculine on me. I love green frags and I love florals, but I hope this doesn't come off too feminine to others. Anybody else own No. 19 EdT?
    You're not crazy. I first started wearing Chanel No, 19 EDT about 25 years ago and have continued to do so. Chanel No. 19 EDT is one of my ten all time favorite men's and women's fragrances. Even the great perfumers marvel at its genius.

The trick with this one--as with most women's fragrances, if you're too self conscious about how they/you may be perceived-- is to go reasonably light on application and leave the house about a hour or two after spraying when the top notes have faded and/or melded with the middle notes and the base notes have begun to assert themselves. Using this modus operandi, I have found very few women's fragrances too feminine to wear. Of course, when wearing fragrances marketed towards women, wearing them with Vibert's "conviction and confidence" is essential.

Best regards,

scentemental

P.S. You should give the EDP version a try. It's one of the best women's/men's vetiver based fragrances ever. A Jacques Polge masterpiece worthy of the name of Henri Robert's original.

Last edited by scentemental; 19th October 2007 at 07:48 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Good for you j_w_s - I wish I could wear it, and yes it's green crispness puts it in the class of Private Collection by Estee Lauder (which I love and can wear) and/or some of the Diptyque scents (Eau de Lierre, Jardin Clos...).

I think Renee (rtamara41) loves C19 - I'm sure she'll see this thread soon and comment on it.

Supposedly this scent was named after Gabrielle Chanel's birthdate (August 19). Is it just a coincidence j_w_s that you decided to purchase this on October 19th?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

MikePerez23... I didn't plan on buying No. 19 today the 19th. But that is kind of cool.

I am actually looking forward to trying this in cooler weather. It feels aloof and somber, but beautiful. Scentemental, I will take your advice on application and wait for the middle and basenotes to come forward before going public and Vibert, I will stick my chest out and wear it instead of it wearing me; hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like

I will stick my chest out and wear it instead of it wearing me; hopefully.
    Good for you!! I intend to wear L'eau d'Issey Parfum tomorrow (or rather today in South Africa!) and will do the same, regardless of the funny looks I may get!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great one. Vintage edt especially.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd March 2012 at 03:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Barry, I bought this this month too. I've been making mental notes for a review. I don't think you're crazy either.

The tail-end dry down of No.19? Wow. Incredible. Eight hours of waiting (eight hours of good, for sure) and then, whoa, climax.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

only crazy sexy, honey

chanel no 19 is a beauty beyond gender

(yes, mr. perez, you were right that this would catch my eye. 19 is one of my kindred soul scents... )

neat that you got it on the 19th

I wore this at 17, and when I rediscovered it this past year, little did I realize how significant it would become for me. It's just a wonderful experience each time. Like you, I thought it to be aloof at first, but the more I wear it, the more sensual and warm it feels. It's an approachable scent. It truly is. Intimate and familiar.

I like with scentemental's application recommendations. thanks to him I have tasted several versions of this alongside my 100ml bottle of the edt. the vintage formulation brought me to tears.

Congratulations.Hope you will post your evolving impressions.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

You are not crazy, you have an exquisite nose. Feel better now?

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I do. I've worn it to church on Sunday morning.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Yeah, I do. I've worn it to church on Sunday morning.
    well, now this brings a smile to me face
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

personally the last time I tried it I felt it was too "womanly" "matronly" even, but I didn't let it evolve, washed it off quickly

Just bought a sample of this stuff. Can't wait! I just hope it works on me and isn't TOO feminine! It really sounds beautiful.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always disliked No 19, because I tell myself that I do not like greens,
    but all this constant talk about it here on this board has made me curious.
    Now I will - God forgive me - go and sample this juice!

Post Thanks / Like

Duckie, just a tip: of the modern formulations, edp is rounder and more floral, the edt is sharply green. (I prefer vintage in any concentration.)

Post Thanks / Like

I own the current EDT and EDP as well as the vintage parfum, and enjoy all of them.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Duckie, just a tip: of the modern formulations, edp is rounder and more floral, the edt is sharply green. (I prefer vintage in any concentration.)
    Thank you for the heads up,
    din svenska jävla.
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 5th April 2010 at 10:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the EdP had a stronger impression of leather, but the mini I have may be older.
    Evenstar

I have only tried the new version EDP. Nice, light leather.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

New EDT has no leather but has the best iris and peppery rose combo ever!
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

The vintage EdP (which I tested for the 1st time a week ago) is currently on my To Find list. Great stuff!

I have only tried the current edt and it is on the top of my wihlist. I think if you wear it and like what you smell on your skin you shouldn't worry. Skin chemistry does play an important role. I am fortunate enough to be able to pull off a great deal of the feminine florals I like. I wear Sarassins!

Post Thanks / Like

regarding the original gender related topic,
    here's an old chanel no 19 advertisement,
    Bk45gB2kKGrHqQH-Dw.JPG please click to enlarge.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a similar dilemma with No. 19. The problem is that it has such a transition from beginning to end and drydown is the best and most masculine part of the scent. I bought a bottle and every time I wear it I second guess myself because the first two hours, at least, smells green and floral but very strong aldehyde. This combination smells a bit perfumey (feminine?) to me and is not a good smell for me - I guess it is aldehyde. But the longer I go with No. 19 the more the green and woods come out with quite nice vibrancy - the drydown is one of the finest green wood fragrances I've smelled on man or woman. I have come to the conclusion that if the opening was not without that bold green aldehyde floral, the basenotes would not smell so fantastic - they might smell more like Dyptique's Virigilio and be just plain vetiver/ galbanum. But, these greens come alive in the base of this scent.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    regarding the original gender related topic,
    here's an old chanel no 19 advertisement,
    Bk45gB2kKGrHqQH-Dw.JPG please click to enlarge.
    Wow - love it. Thanks for posting that gido.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The vintage EdP (which I tested for the 1st time a week ago) is currently on my To Find list. Great stuff!
    Mike, how can one tell a vintage edp bottle from the current edp bottle?

After having read scentemental's post in the SotD thread today that Chanel No. 19 is the best vetiver fragrance out there, I would be crazy not to try this out.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post

After having read scentemental's post in the SotD thread today that Chanel No. 19 is the best vetiver fragrance out there, I would be crazy not to try this out.
    Good question: I'm not sure. Let me ask the person who gifted me a sample and see if they know...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just found out: the vintage juice is a golden/yellow color juice. The new juice is green. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Well, I just found out: the vintage juice is a golden/yellow color juice. The new juice is green. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the info mate.

The green color is quite obvious in the eau de toilette bottles but for edp, it's not seemingly as obvious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Does it even come in EDP now? I thought it didn't

Thanks for the info mate.

The green color is quite obvious in the eau de toilette bottles but for edp, it's not seemingly as obvious.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Does it even come in EDP now? I thought it didn't
    I am not sure if it is still in production. I just spotted a few bottles on ebay & that is where I was judging the color variation.
    So it doesn't come in edp anymore? Is it?
    If it doesn't, then does it mean all edp bottles are with vintage formulation?

Post Thanks / Like

Edp is the most common formulation in some parts of Europe, so it's def. not discontinued. How companies decide where to sell/promote what is a mystery to me...

I know this is an old thread, but I'm really enjoying what a lot of you have said here. I agree that confidence is the key to getting away with anything, and I mean anything - fragrance, clothes, shoes ... murder xD haha. If you don't feel great wearing something, you will NEVER look/smell great in it.

As for Chanel No.19, I have only tested the current EdP, and I think it's absolutely fantastic. I have yet to test it on my skin, but on paper, the Iris really stands out. It's not a sweet, feminine Iris though, it's more like a leathery, mossy Iris. To me, it smells like a mature version of Dior Homme. I'll test this on my skin over the weekend, and if I like it, I will DEFINITELY buy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting how what was all rage about wearing women's scents five years ago, has pretty much petered out.

I often wonder if it was because of poor results, or because perhaps some finally figured out how to tell the difference between men's and women's scents.
    Regards,
    Renato