Code of Conduct
    smeller

Default About a quest (since 1990): it could be Kouros

Here's a little history.

When I was younger (circa 1990), I had a very old european teacher who was notorious for his strong, and eventually nauseating, perfume. But I secretly admired the stuff. Never got the guts to ask what he weared.

Some weeks ago, I was waiting a bus, when something bizarre took place: a well dressed man with a weird moustache sat down next to me, and he weared exactly the same fragrance. I wanted to ask him about what he weared, but the weirdness of the situation (including the unusual moustache and the impeccable clothings of the guy) made me remain quiet, afraid of being misunderstood (I'm straight and quite shy, and not comfortable about asking an elegant stranger about his perfume - even if I asking the same thing to women several times, for obvoius reasons).

The guy eventually smelled his wrist, what made me deduce he tried it somewhere, and it's probably a quite common designer frag.

Days later, I realized I already have (supposedly... am I right? Check the list above) the most animalic designer's masculine fragrances produced back then (1990, when I met the "stinking" teacher): Givenchy Gentleman, Habit Rouge, Yatagan, Aramis, Van Cleef & Arpels, Polo Green, Antaeus, and... Kouros.

Well, it's not a leather, I believe, what reduces considerably the options.

Trying Kouros again this week (I never gave it a really serious try before), I suddenly realized it's totally different on the skin (chest, I mean). And it makes me believe that's the misterious teacher's frag.

Probably other people can perceive on me the powerful/animalic (with some weird gourmandish drydown thing) character of Kouros, but smelling on myself I can't say for sure yet.

That's my long history, I think I'm on the right track now. Do you guys believe there's another mainstream/great smelling/animalic (not exactly leather, but fresher) man scent made before 1990 that may solve the case?

Thanks a lot.

Default Re: About a quest (since 1990): it could be Kouros

So you didn't ask the guy, which saved you a moment of awkwardness, but now for hours you've been thinking about the same issue!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrOfTheSoul View Post
    So you didn't ask the guy, which saved you a moment of awkwardness, but now for hours you've been thinking about the same issue!!
    So the lesson of the day ask regardless! Which is what I do when I find a fragrance intriguing; however, it doesn't happen here often as the guys wear the more IMO mediocre ones.

Trying to answer your question though, I didn't get animalic when I tested Habit Rouge, Aramis, VC&A or Antaeus. You may be on the right track...

Post Thanks / Like

Could be Zizanie by Fragonard. I wish you'd asked too. We'd alll have been lucky to know. Oh well, next time.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

smeller

Yes, I admit. I should have asked, and I surely regret it.

I searched Zizanie onb the directory, but people reviewed it as powdery, which is not the case. Made me curious, anyway.

It's something powerful, sharp, animalic, with a musky/sweet drydown. pre-1990, probably very mainstream.

It could me Kouros, but, as I said, even if I had a very similar feeling wearing Kouros, I want to check more possibilities (if they exist).

I also tried different things like Agua Brava, Quorum and Jacomo de Jacomo. At that time, they didn't fit, but I have the perception that you can only perceive a frag if you give it a serious wear. Paper strips, or even light sprays at the wrist, showed to be deceptive later.

The funny thing is: this situation happened in a moment I was completely satisfied with my wardrobe.

If this happens again (fingers crossed), I will certainly ask this eccentric moustache guy about his catching scent, and I will share it with you basenoters.

Bijan?

Post Thanks / Like

You will never everknow .....

smeller

Stuffman, the Bijan reviews seems to match the feeling, but since it's not available here, probably is not Bijan.

Dimitrios, thanks for the support, I wish you luck in your future quests as well.

Could very well be Ted Lapidus Pour Homme. About 10 yrs ago I was in a store and the saleman was wearing a cologne that smelled spicy heavy and super masculine. At first sniff, I swore it was Kouros but the notes were mixed around just enough to smell different. I asked him what cologne he was wearing and he said it was "Ted Lapidus the one in the grey marble looking bottle".

smeller

Thanks, but it wasn't Lapidus, Mason.

Post Thanks / Like

you are correct about Kouros - smells very differently on the skin. On paper, I was first disgusted by the smell - but I was so compelled to try it again because of what I read on BN. Now I wear it regularly - usually 2 sprays to the chest. The smell on the skin is not so sharp and animalic - instead it is warm, mildly sweet (think honey), and sensual.
    My girlfriend regularly compliments me on it.

Furyo by Jacques Bogart?
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 22nd October 2007 at 09:15 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]