Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Ava Luxe Experience - Autumn / Winter Edition

♫ Give up yourself until the morning.... The time is NOW! ♫

The time for another fun, funky, frustrating and ultimately fascinating week of immersion in the amazing Ava Luxe range!!!

(The Spring / Summer Edition was such a success that we agreed to revisit the line in autumn / winter to see how we experienced the line in different weather / season conditions. And that time has now arrived!! )

This 'event' is for one week (running Saturday to Friday), with the post remaining a sticky until the following month (if that is possible please, ms. moderator?).

It is a hybrid week where people can either stay the course for the entire week (wearing nothing except Ava Luxe original creations) or they can dip in and out as we develop the thread as another Ava Luxe Info thread and people can add reviews of any and all of the Ava Luxe perfumes they own or have tried. The only restrictions are that it would help if the focus was primarily on how the scents work in cooler autumn / winter conditions. (Those in permanent sub-tropical environments should add their reviews to the Spring / Summer thread).

Schedule for Ava Luxe Week:
    Saturday: Oriental / Amber
    Sunday: Fruit / Citrus or Gourmand
    Monday: Chypre or Vintage
    Tuesday: Fresh / Clean or (Light) Musk
    Wednesday: Green / Herbal or (Intense) Musk
    Thursday: Spice or Woods / Resins / Incense
    Friday: Floral or Tropical

(I have doubled up some of the headings so that we can all experience, and share, at least one from each of the scent families / groups that Serena has listed, during the initial seven day intensive period. I have omitted the Luxe category as many of the Luxe beauties are represented in the other categories).

NB: Of course, participants are free to choose which ever scent they prefer on each day. The above list is to help simplify things for those completely new to the Ava Luxe range of perfumes or those overwhelmed by the sheer breadth of choice.

Serena has provided me with her personal list of the Top 10 Autumn / Winter must try fragrances from her line (they also happen to be her personal favourites)!!

Serena's Top Ten for Autumn / Winter

Madame X
    Film Noir
    Shisha
    Moksha
    Midnight Violet
    Ambre Antique type
    Café Noir
    Amber Essence
    Fire Wood
    Patchouli Leaves

I think a few samples of the above would be a perfect introduction to the beauty of Ava Luxe.
    So now is the perfect time to discover and explore this amazing niche range...

Remember there is a permanent 10% off your order if you use the 'basenotes' code when ordering!

I am hoping that this will encourage all you lurkers and procrastinators to get ordering and adding your reviews to this thread (and the Basenotes directory) even after the official week ends...

For those of you who crave structure, it would help if your reviews included the following format / questions:

What did you try? (name of sample / perfume)
    Scent Family? (incense, chypre, gourmand, floral, etc)
    Notes? (available on www.ava-luxe.com)
    Formulation? (EDP, parfum or body lotion)
    Did you like it?
    Is it a good autumn / winter scent?
    Did it elicit compliments / comments?
    Which notes dominated in the blend?
    Did it smell the way you imagined it would?
    Would you wear it again?
    Score / Rating? (?? / 5)

Let get this party started!!

Last edited by moondeva; 20th October 2007 at 12:09 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Unhappy Re: Ava Luxe Experience - Autumn / Winter Edition

Ok, I'm freaking out here! The AL site is down except for a contact page, somebody please tell me that all is well with Serena and AL!

Can't even read the notes or descriptions now
    Last edited by Zibeline; 20th October 2007 at 05:26 AM.
    Currently wearing: Bluebell by Penhaligon's

Default Re: Ava Luxe Experience - Autumn / Winter Edition

I just checked and it's still down, and I'm freakin' a little as well, but I just recieved paypal confirmation that she sent my order today, so they're still functioning. I'm sure everything is okay and we'll all still be able to get our fix. (But I really need to order Milk. There's just a tiny bit left at the bottom of the vial.)
    Last edited by pellen; 20th October 2007 at 05:37 AM.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by pellen View Post
    I just checked and it's still down, and I'm freakin' a little as well, but I just recieved paypal confirmation that she sent my order today, so they're still functioning. I'm sure everything is okay and we'll all still be able to get our fix. (But I really need to order Milk. There's just a tiny bit left at the bottom of the vial.)

I sure hope so! But a paypal confirmation is good news! And Zibeline vows to never ever ever let her supply of AL faves start to dip into the "danger zone" again and to get all my gift giving needs attended to ASAP>

Pellen vows to never have less than half a huge bottle of Milk parfum ever again.

But I didn't know I was addicted until half way through the sample vial! Have mercy!
    Last edited by pellen; 20th October 2007 at 05:46 AM.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

From the SotD thread:
    "Still awash in my old fave Casmir de Chopard...mango and sandalwood, great to sleep in. Nosing (!!!) around I find the parfumeur is the same guy that did Voleur de Roses and a bunch of Bonds. It figures. Hoping to go back to bed - and launder self - and indulge in Madame X for the Ava Luxe Experience. And wouldn't you know - her site is down, right now."

Sent message to webmaster - who is probably sound asleep at this point.

It will all work out.
    Last edited by TaoLady; 20th October 2007 at 07:23 AM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Serena's site is still down and I am trying three today:

Sweet Amber Wood
    Amber Essence
    Dark Amber

Just a couple of minutes in, I believe SAW may be a HG for me, Amber Essence is right behind it. WOW!!!

Dark Amber (first impressions) is deep and lovely, but reminds me of maple syrup!

Going out all day and night. More impressions later!!!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Ava Luxe Madame X it is - notes of coriander, acacia farnesiana, freshly cut hay, jasmine, rose, labdanum, leather, incense, patchouli, oakmoss, civet, ambergris, castoreum, sandalwood, musks and vanilla....not necessarily in that order on me.

The labdanum and leather open immediately with the roses and jasmine purring underneath. The sandalwood and musks are there from the beginning too with that nice sexy castoreum humming along all the time. Such a ladylike slut - perfect for this warmish day. I adore this scent.

Is it a good autumn / winter scent? Oh HEAVENS, yes!!!
    Did it elicit compliments / comments? Haven't left the house yet. Will report.
    Which notes dominated in the blend? None really. See above
    Did it smell the way you imagined it would? No. Thought it would be leather-ier.
    Would you wear it again? Own a bottle!!!
    Score / Rating? (?? / 5) A big SEVEN. :bounce:

Last edited by TaoLady; 20th October 2007 at 10:23 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution

Good Morning everyone - I'm trying:

Madame X and Incense Tibet

I'm not that familiar with labdanum - I think I know what it smells like now, because if Taolady is saying that's the predominant note at the top then I can smell it for sure.

I think I don't like labdanum.

I'm going to give this some time to work and warm up on my skin - but for now the smell hits me right in the back of my throat and reminds me of stale club soda and...perhaps hairspray (?) I'm reporting back later...

Madame X got such high marks from all of my Basenoters, I'm really surprised this wasn't an instant hit with me.

Wearing Incense TIbet in the p.m.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    Just a couple of minutes in, I believe SAW may be a HG for me,
    Sis - I just noticed that your Sweet Amber Wood scent's acronym is positively Halloween slasher movie sounding: SAW!!!!!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th October 2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Lovely review, Taolady! I adore Madame X - I already have a 10ml parfum but the body cream I ordered arrived today with my Sin, Madeline and samples.
    I'll do a write up on Sin later.

Today I'm wearing Love's True Bluish Light.

I can't get on the site to look at the notes that are listed - does this one contain amber? I'm still getting used to what different notes smell like, but I think I remember reading that it does. This reminds me very much of something from another etailer, and I'm not sure that I like it. It's a bit too sickly for me, I keep wrinkling my nose when I catch a waft. If I put my nose right up to my skin I can detect something really creamy and soft in the background that I like very much, but from a foot away this is actually starting to smell like bad body odour. Maybe it's a chemistry thing.. I can't imagine that anybody would buy it if it usually smelled like this. I'm going to leave it a little longer but I might have to wash it off before I spend time with other people, lest they think I've forgotten to shower.

Thumbs up Re: Ava Luxe Experience - Autumn / Winter Edition

Well I found some notes! Yay! And Incense Tibet is my SotD and DH's favorite scent of all. He normally says nothing about my "hobby" but he is always very flattering of this one.

I think it is a marvelous cool weather scent, complex and warm.The initial smell of coconut renders this absolutely tropical in the opening. As the coconut dries away the amber vanilla and woods take the center stage and hold it for a nice 6-7 hours.The musk is a milling in the back .

As an aside, I have Bohemian Rose and Incense Tibet and I still have no concrete idea of what "Night Queen" adds to the fragrance.

Notes: Coconut, Tunisian Musk, Rose Maroc Absolute, Night Queen, Balsam Copaiba, Himalayan Cedar, Virginia Cedar, Sandalwood, Indian Amber, Vanilla, Patchouli, Vetiver, Mhyrr, Benzoin.

Fragrance family
    ORIENTAL/AMBER INCENSE

If I had to choose a number to rate this one it would be a 4.85/5.00. It loses just a tad for the coconut opener, but the fact that it is loved by a man who is impossible to please restores points (lol). This has also received praise form others. Like LTBL Incense Tibet seems more popular with men than women.

Ambra Tibet

Amber

From ava-luxe.com - Tibetan Amber, Cardamon, Madagascar Vanilla, Ambergris, Civet

EdP

Did you like it?
    Yes - I'm an amber freak and this is a nice one.

Whenever I wear amber, I think of fall. I think the fragrance shines in cooler weather. I wore it earlier this year when it was significantly warmer (about 80 degrees F and humid). It had a stronger vanilla note and it disappeared much faster.

Weather in DC today - started this morning 59 degrees F and clear. Went outside this afternoon to run errands, 70 degrees F, clear, and breezy.

No compliments / comments - but I was happy and that's all that matters.

Starts as a sweet, somewhat citrusy amber (probably the cardamom and the type of amber. There is a brief period when it get a bit sour on me (about 30 minutes in), but this note disappears quickly.

Ambra Tibet has a hint of the soapy note that ambers sometimes demonstrate - but not enough to annoy me. The breeze picked up a glorious pure amber silliage (1 hour after application) when I went outside. About 2 hours in, I start to get more vanilla and a hint of powder in the amber - but the amber remains the dominant note throughout.

Gone after 6 hours - not including what remains on my clothes.

Yup

Would you wear it again?
    I have only 1 more wearing in my 1mL sample. A 5mL Delux is in my future.

Score / Rating /5
    Last edited by sakecat22; 20th October 2007 at 05:03 PM.

Madame X

Oriental

coriander, acacia farnesiana, freshly cut hay, jasmine, rose, labdanum, leather, incense, patchouli, oakmoss, civet, ambergris, castoreum, sandalwood, musks and vanilla

EdP

Did you like it?
    Yes, though I find it quite overwhelming at first. I'm not sure if it settles down or if I get used to it.

I think it is an ideal autumn/winter scent; leathery, rich, slightly smoky. I can't imagine enjoying this at all on a hot, muggy day, but it's cozy and warm on a cloudy day like today.
    It's a little out of place for a lazy Saturday in front of the computer, but I think it would be perfect for an elegant night out for, say, opera or ballet. Not so good for a meal, it's too heady.

Only compliment was from DH2B, "Mmmm... Nice." I can't say that the fragrace ellicited this though, because I did stick my wrist under his nose and demand a response. No one else has smelled me yet today.

I am really not good at identifying notes, but I think that the oakmoss and patchouli dominate. I get a combination of dry grasses (love this), hippie headshop, leather, amber(labdanum I guess) and something slightly spicy. I don't think it's the coriander, rather,I think it's a spicy rose note. These are my impressions only about an hour in.

Yes, as I've smelled it before. However, when I first ordered Madame X I thought it would be more leathery, sort of in the style of Cuir Mauresque. I find it to be quite a chypre, but I wore it today as it was classified as an oriental and my new samples haven't yet arrived so my choices were limited.

Would you wear it again?
    I enjoy this in a certain mood. There is a lot that I like about it, but there is some accord present in many Ava Luxe scents that doesn't agree with me. It's even stronger in Moss, which has made me feel sick to my stomach. I will wear it again, but won't order more once I'm done my sample.

Score / Rating 3.5/5
    Last edited by pellen; 20th October 2007 at 06:13 PM.

Margaret Atwood

Basenotes Institution

Checking back in...

Madame X I don't like. I have tried, I reapplied a second full wearing again this afternoon and the top notes that I don't like (labdanum?) lingered straight through for the next hours and never quite went away.

Funny thing - I told my boyfriend to sniff we twice and both times he said he liked it. He thought it smelled 'musky'. WTF?

Anyway - moving on...

Incense Tibet is WONDERFUL. The juice which is brown-ish goes on with a very warm top note that's sweet (honey?) and almost textured like a terracotta color (in my mind). There's rose in this too, but a very low register of rose. In about half an hour this stuff turned quite magical and got incense-y. Not too smoky though (I think I would have liked smoke) but perhaps ash-y. Just lovely. The sillage/longevity are quite good also - i'd say above average.

Because of the low smoke, I might not buy a full bottle of this - perhaps a larger sample so that I could give this a couple full wearings might be better for me.

In a way - this scent would make a perfect candle for my house. I say that as a compliment.
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Funny thing - I told my boyfriend to sniff we twice and both times he said he liked it. He thought it smelled 'musky'. WTF?
    TF is that Madame X contains a touch of civet, which gives the scent a sensual musky edge. Diabolically sexy on a woman in a pencil skirt, heels, and partially open blouse. Also smells pretty good on me in tight black t-shirt and jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    TF is that Madame X contains a touch of civet, which gives the scent a sensual musky edge..... smells pretty good on me in tight black t-shirt and jeans.
    ...SIGH......

I wasn't quite sure about Madame X at first but it grew on me...quickly! It is now one of my favourites.

I tried Sin today - I bought this blind rather than just getting a sample, samples are just not worth the P&P.
    It's not quite what I thought. Admittedly I had a cold and I'm losing my ability to smell over the course of the day. However, this is a cleaner scent than I expected - I really thought it would be rather dirty, with the musk and amber, but it has an almost soapy quality to it. (I don't mean astringent, although the opening is rather sharp - more that it smells like posh soap).
    I will give it a proper review once my nose is back to full strength. Currently I don't feel confident that I can do it justice with this cold (damn it!)

heart of ice

I have been looking forward to this Ave Luxe Experience for a long time. I have not tried any AL samples before, so I am entering this week as a total Ave Luxe virgin. My samples arrived a few weeks ago, back when I was sick. So I decided not to sneak a sniff of them and to wait until this week to even crack open the vials. A good friend sent me even more samples last week, so I am set to try at least two scents in every category.

For Oriental/Amber day, I started out the day with Ambra Tibet. For the first hour or so, it was terribly dry and acrid without a touch of sweetness. But several hours later, the vanilla peeked out ever so slightly, along with an incense-y note, reminding me a bit of L'Air du Desert Marocain (and LDDM is one of my all-time favorites!) I wasn't too fond of Ambra Tibet at first, but I have changed my mind after it got to the drydown. I will definately give this one another full wearing. Longevity is very good, with above average sillage.
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 21st October 2007 at 02:19 AM.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

My selection for oriental/amber day was Ambra Tibet. I used about 0.5 ml of the EDP sample that I received gratis on my last order. Based on the notes (Tibetan Amber, Cardamon, Madagascar Vanilla, Ambergris, Civet,) I was expecting something along the lines of a sweet amber fragrance similar to MPG Ambre Precieux. Unlike the later, I was pleasantly surprised to find the animal notes of ambergris and civet playing a major role. Smells like an sweet, animal, musk scent that is warm, sensual, and bordering on gourmand. Fortunately it never tips the scales in the gourmand direction and remains solid in the realm of an amber musk, deadsexy indeed. Ambra Tibet is easily one of my favorites from the thirty or so scents I have worn from Ava Luxe. Feels like a cold weather scent to me and I plan on using the remainder of the sample if it ever cools off in my area (highs near 80.)

Specs
    Amount: 0.5 ml
    Longevity: about 8 hours
    Sillage: moderate
    Season: Fall/Winter, likely better below 16C/60F
    Rating: 3.5 out of 5
    RIYL: amber/vanilla musk combos, Bond No. 9 West Side, Ava Luxe Love's Truish Blue Light, MPG Ambre Precieux, Montale Blue Amber

heart of ice

I'm testing Madame X tonight. mmmmm this is sexy, musky, a little leather-y and totally HOT!

I'm putting this on the list to buy in the larger spray sample size. I'm interested to see how different this would be sprayed as opposed to dabbed ... I think the sillage would be kicked up a notch or two, although that could make this potentially a little dangerous.

Loukhoum

Gourmand

From ava-luxe.com - Honeyed Almonds, Rose Absolute, Pistachio, Hazelnut, Cream

EdP

Did you like it?
    No. I keep trying to, but this does NOTHING for me.

Better than during the summer. When I tried it in warmer weather, it behaved the same - just more annoying.

Weather in DC today - started this morning 55 degrees F and clear.

Didn't see anyone during the 3 hours it lasted on me.

This stuff reminds me of Frangelico - the hazelnut and herb liquer. Add some rosewater to the drink (more than would probably be tasty) and some club soda to ratched down the sweetness and you have this perfume.

Actually sounds like it could be an interesting cocktail. May send the boyfriend to the booze store for Frangelico to see if this works as a drink (I'll edit this later and let you know how it goes.)

Sadly - this combination does not work particularly well on me as a perfume. It seems to alternate between rosy and nutty. It develops a sour note on me after 2 hours.

Gone after 3 hours - thank goodness.

No. I was really expecting something more along the lines of Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream or KM's Loukhoum.

I'm wearing KM for comparison to what I just experienced with the Ava Luxe Loukhoum. The KM has more vanilla, roses and almonds. A slight cherry note weaves through the whole scent. KM registers sweeter than Ava Luxe and more linear (I don't get the alternating notes that I get in the Ava Luxe). The KM also lasts significantly longer than the Ava Luxe.

Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream is similar to the KM Loukhoum. Vanilla, almonds, roses. The Montale develops a spicier note than the KM on the dry-down. I find the Montale heavier than the KM and it occasionally develops a plasticky note on my skin (depending on temperature, that day's body chemistry, and how well my nose seems to be working).

Would you wear it again?
    I've worn this fragrance twice and will finish the 1 mL sample at some point.

I try fragrances I don't like much through the sample just to make sure I still don't like it - and to pinpoint WHY I don't like it. Ava Luxe Loukhoum deserves at least that level of consideration.

Score / Rating /5
    There are so many other Ava Luxe fragrances that I absolutely adore, that it pains me to write such a negative review on this one. Fortunately, I have tried a number of her other scents and know that my dislike of this one is an aberation.
    Last edited by sakecat22; 21st October 2007 at 03:00 PM.

Ava Luxe Loukhoum EDP and Body Milk for sitting on/with/watching TWMAG and I am good enough to eat!! This is my second favoritest loukhoum (the first - so far - from those I've tried - is Keiko Mecheri same like SakeCat.)

I'll reiterate the pleasures of age - less estrogen (and maybe a less discerning nose!!) seems to tamp down the more aggressive elements of some fragrances - so that on me the AL Loukhoum is delicately honeyed rose and almonds with a hint of vanilla and a warmish drydown that holds the nuts and roses.

I may - when Loukhoum is fading - jazz it up with Cafe Noir.....black coffee goes good with candy!!!

To answer your questions:
    Is it a good autumn / winter scent? Cozy and comforting - so, yes!!!
    Did it elicit compliments / comments? Have had people ask - in an admiring way. (Always have to spell it - down here Bulgari is considered exotic.)
    Did it smell the way you imagined it would? I bought the bottle from a sample when I was going through my Loukhoum period - so yes!
    Would you wear it again? Like I said - I own a bottle!!!
    Score / Rating? (?? / 5)

I really don't have any AL gourmands, so today I'm wearing Bergamot.

This is a citrusy bergamot scent, not bitingly zesty or sweet, but clean and appealing. I received a 5ml sample of this EDP with my last AL order.

I would call this one a great work scent and would think it would be fine on a man or a woman. As I said, it has a fresh from the shower quality and it has lasted a good four hours so far.

Bergamot has a summery feel to it but I think it would be appropriate for indoor winter wear as heating and close quarters can make the very spicy scents a bit too much.

Since I have a repertoire of Guerlain citruses and a bottle of Anthousa's Citrus Sorbet, I doubt I'll be getting a bottle of this one. If I did not have the other bottles I would consider it as price, quality and longevity are all there. I am plotting some woody purchases when the AL site comes back online!

Two of yesterday's ambers are DEFINITELY full bottle worthy!!!

What did you try? Sweet Amber Wood (slasher-movie anacronym SAW, thanks to my dear brother MikePerez! )

Scent Family? Amber
    Notes? Amber, sandalwood, patchouli, spices, and benzoin
    Formulation? (EDP, parfum or body lotion) edp
    Did you like it? OMG, yes!!!
    Is it a good autumn / winter scent? Yep, one of the best
    Did it elicit compliments / comments? No, but I darn near drove off the road smelling myself.
    Which notes dominated in the blend? Clear, non-soapy amber (my favorite kind), touched with benzoin and spices at the start. Complex, dry wood notes came forward an hour or so in and stayed around for quite awhile. HOURS later, the sweet amber was back again, alone.
    Did it smell the way you imagined it would? Yes, although it was a bit lighter than I'd initially hoped after the first few minutes.
    Would you wear it again? On my wishlist!
    Score / Rating? (/ 5)

SECONDLY
    What did you try? Amber Essence
    Scent Family? Amber
    Notes? Three types of amber and a splash of myrrh
    Formulation? EDP
    Did you like it? Yes, yes, yes.
    Is it a good autumn / winter scent? Perfect.
    Did it elicit compliments / comments? No, but wasn't really around anyone to smell me.
    Which notes dominated in the blend? Clear, bright amber. The pine-y notes were a nice balance. I found myself thinking this is my idea of the perfect, straightforward amber.
    Did it smell the way you imagined it would? Better.
    Would you wear it again? Also added to my wishlist.
    Score / Rating? (/5)

Dark Amber was very nice, but continued to smell too much like maple syrup for me to want to wear it on a regular basis. It did remind me of Sunday morning vacation days in Vermont.
    --------------------------------------
    For the Ava Luxe gourmand today, I tried Love's True Bluish Light.

What did you try? Love's True Bluish Light
    Scent Family? Vanilla
    Notes? Vanilla, amber, musk
    Formulation? EDP
    Did you like it? A nice scent, but too sweet on me.
    Is it a good autumn / winter scent? Could see how it would be, yes.
    Did it elicit compliments / comments? Nope.
    Which notes dominated in the blend? Vanilla, followed by amber.
    Did it smell the way you imagined it would? Sweeter than I'd hoped.
    Would you wear it again? Will use up my sample vial, but I feel too much like a dessert when I wear this one.
    Score / Rating? (2.5 / 5)
    Last edited by ComDiva; 21st October 2007 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Ava Luxe Loukhoum EDP and Body Milk for sitting on/with/watching TWMAG and I am good enough to eat!! This is my second favoritest loukhoum (the first - so far - from those I've tried - is Keiko Mecheri same like SakeCat.)

I'll reiterate the pleasures of age - less estrogen (and maybe a less discerning nose!!) seems to tamp down the more aggressive elements of some fragrances - so that on me the AL Loukhoum is delicately honeyed rose and almonds with a hint of vanilla and a warmish drydown that holds the nuts and roses.

I may - when Loukhoum is fading - jazz it up with Cafe Noir.....black coffee goes good with candy!!!

Is it a good autumn / winter scent? Cozy and comforting - so, yes!!!
    Did it elicit compliments / comments? Have had people ask - in an admiring way. (Always have to spell it - down here Bulgari is considered exotic.)
    Did it smell the way you imagined it would? I bought the bottle from a sample when I was going through my Loukhoum period - so yes!
    Would you wear it again? Like I said - I own a bottle!!!
    Score / Rating? (?? / 5)
    Ms. TaoLady - I am soooo jealous that the Ava Luxe Loukhoum works on you.

I want it to work on me too

I tried the drink recipe that Loukhoum inspired. Here's what I did:

Fill a small highball glass with ice cubes
    3 pts frangelico
    4 drops rosewater (make sure its the edible stuff -not the perfume stuff. Available in any middle eastern market for those of you who live in big cities)
    1 part club soda (to dampen the sweetness).

This is pretty close to what I was smelling in Ava Luxe.

As a drink - not bad. I think I prefer Frangelico by itself.

My nose is worse today, thanks to this infernal cold (why this week of all weeks?!) I may have to put off my sample testing for a few days.
    Anyway, tried Madeline today. It's nice, reminds me of Stollen. There's a slightly medicinal note in there for a while which may have been the licorice - as I said, my nose is a bit off.
    Overall it's nice but I can't make a solid judgement until this cold is gone.

...so over the Loukhoum - or better alongside the Loukhoum - some Cafe Noir. EDP A perfect companion!!

This is a rich black coffee with a hint of lavender and smoke and some spice.. Deep and complex with amazing longevity and more sillage than some ALs. I love New Haarlem - which is both creamier and sprightlier than this, but for a jolt of "high test" this is the one for you.

Is it a good autumn / winter scent? Autumn/winter here are short lived and relatively (to, say, Norway) mild and don't need a lot of shoring up. This is a great all 'round gourmand - good way to start a blah day, for example!
    Did it elicit compliments / comments? Not recently.
    Which notes dominated in the blend? The coffee.
    Did it smell the way you imagined it would? Better!!
    Would you wear it again? I'm on my second bottle!!!
    Score / Rating? (?? / 5)

P.S. for SakeCat: you might try this with your KM!!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 21st October 2007 at 08:12 PM.

heart of ice

Day Two of the Ava Luxe Experience finds me wearing a gourmand, Little Love.

I'm not sure exactly why I was so drawn to Little Love while I was picking out my samples from the AL site ... I had not heard about it here on BN. I wouldn't even say that I'm a fan of chocolate scents (except for Angel, of course!). But for some reason, I had to give Little Love a try.

First sniff, I'm thinking there's nothing little about Little Love ... we're talking BIG time sillage! My dog came running, thinking that I had chocolate to share It is sweet, rich, and creamy chocolate, very yummy smelling. It settles very quickly, and an almond note starts to peek out. Hours later, it has nuzzled into my skin and is the most delicious honey musk, still dusted with chocolate. I'm liking Little Love a lot.

What did you try? Little Love
    Scent Family? gourmand
    Notes? Dark Chocolate, Almonds, Skin Musk, Blonde Woods (from MUA, not sure if that's official)
    Formulation? I don't know
    Did you like it? Yes
    Is it a good autumn / winter scent? Yes, very cozy
    Did it elicit compliments / comments? Just from the dog
    Which notes dominated in the blend? chocolate
    Did it smell the way you imagined it would? yes
    Would you wear it again? yes
    Score / Rating? (?? / 5) 4 out of 5
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 21st October 2007 at 08:35 PM. Reason: to add official questions

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    My dog came running, thinking that I had chocolate to share
    shadesofbleu, can you give chocolate to a dog? I thought it was poisonous to them. I only want to know so that I might share a little chocolate lovin' with my boxer.

Margaret Atwood