Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Ava Luxe Experience - Autumn / Winter Edition

Ava Luxe Incense Tibet
    Family: Unknown
    Notes: Incense

This is about as straight-up-incense as they come... It reminds me of the smell of a box of Gonesh Cones after the incense is gone... It starts out a bit sharp and acrid, but the drydown is pure resinous incense with a slight sweetness... Longevity is hard to determine - it was pretty much a skin scent after 4 hours.

I received no compliments, but I do like this. However, I would never buy a full bottle. I'd categorize this as a very low-usage "mood scent". Passage d'Enfer is still my #1 incense choice.

3 Stars out of 5
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

summer means fireflys

What did you try? Kama
    Scent Family? (incense, chypre, gourmand, floral, etc) musk
    Notes? Musks, Ambergris, Civet, Black Amber, Labdanum, Bulgarian Rose absolute

Formulation? don't know
    Did you like it? yes
    Is it a good autumn / winter scent? anytime scent
    Did it elicit compliments / comments? no, but I home alone today
    Which notes dominated in the blend? musk
    Did it smell the way you imagined it would? To my nose, it was simple musk, I was expecting more amber and well, more oomph
    Would you wear it again? probably not, I found some other AL musks I like better
    Score / Rating? (?? / 5) 2.5 out 5

Also wanted to add I was disappointed in the lasting power and sillage ... I think this is fine for a simple everyday musk, but I was expecting more, much more.
    --------------------------------------
    For my second scent of the day, I tested Wild Blackberry Musk.

What did you try? Wild Blackberry Musk
    Scent Family? (incense, chypre, gourmand, floral, etc) fruity/musk
    Notes? Wild blackberries, Madagascar vanilla, white rose, skin musk, animalic notes
    Formulation? not sure
    Did you like it? liked it, not loved it
    Is it a good autumn / winter scent? actually I would like this for summer better
    Did it elicit compliments / comments? no
    Which notes dominated in the blend? blackberry
    Did it smell the way you imagined it would? less musk than I imagined
    Would you wear it again? would try it next summer
    Score / Rating? (?? / 5) 3.5 out of 5

I was surprised how little musk I smelled in WBM ... the blackberry note is very tart and juicy. This is NOT your typical body lotion blackberry scent I'm actually surprised to see vanilla listed in the notes, as I didn't think there was much sweetness to this at all. Also, I thought there was a citrus-y note, something bright that kept the blackberry on the tart and tangy side. I think I would find this refreshing in hot weather, and I will definitely give this another wearing next summer.
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 25th October 2007 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Incense Noir. Funny, I don't remember ordering this sample but I have it anyway.
    I think this is intended to be one of the more masculine ones. I detect a lot of smoke, and no sweetness. There's also an odd soapy note which I also get from White Tea (pity I can't check the notes on the website), although this had faded a bit. It's a bit like a bonfire. It's fine enough but not really me.

What did you try? (name of sample / perfume)
    Frangipani

Scent Family? (incense, chypre, gourmand, floral, etc)
    Floral

Notes?
    Frangipani (I'm guessing, since it's the name of the perfume) and jasmine are the 2 notesI could identify

Miss Serena - please come back soon!!!!!!! (3rd public grovel on this thread )

Formulation? (EDP, parfum or body lotion)
    EdP

Did you like it?
    It's OK. Didn't rock my world and I'd turn towards other scents of hers first (No. 23, Madame X, Ambra Tibet, Incense Tibet, Shambhala Tibet, Turkish Vanilla, Palisander)

Is it a good autumn / winter scent?
    This one is a Summer scent. I think it's going to need the heat to really make this stuff bloom.

Weather in DC today - 50 degrees F and rainy and blustery.

Did it elicit compliments / comments?
    No comments or compliments.

Which notes dominated in the blend?
    Started as a clean, sweet floral, then becomes more jasmine-like as the heart appears. About 20 minutes in, it becomes powdery and stays that way through the dry down. Before it fades (about 3 hours), it turns a bit sour.

Did it smell the way you imagined it would?
    Yes, though it had a much stronger jasmine/tuberose note than I would have expected. Then again, my benchmark is Spiritual Sky Frangipani (bright pink head shop oil), so I wouldn't trust my opinion on this....

Would you wear it again?
    Yes - I'll finish the sample. This is more of a summer scent.

Score / Rating /5
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

summer means fireflys

What did you try? Shisha
    Scent Family? (incense, chypre, gourmand, floral, etc) incense
    Notes? tabac, honey,fruits, and other lovely stuff
    Formulation? don't know
    Did you like it? yes
    Is it a good autumn / winter scent? yes
    Did it elicit compliments / comments? no
    Which notes dominated in the blend? tobacco and honey drenched fruits
    Did it smell the way you imagined it would? it wasn't as intense as I thought it would be
    Would you wear it again? yes
    Score / Rating? (?? / 5) 3 or 4 out of 5

Shisha seemed less linear than some of the other Ava Luxe scents I've tried this week. It took all sorts of little twists and turns, sometimes the tobacco would be more prominent and other times it would be the fruit notes, and at one point it became very floral (is it jasmine I was smelling?). At times, it really did remind me of my Grandpa's pipe tobacco

What did you try?
    Firewood
    Scent Family?
    wood
    Notes?
    No idea what the official notes are but I would say cedar
    Formulation? EdP
    Did you like it?
    Kind of
    Is it a good autumn / winter scent?
    Yes
    Did it elicit compliments / comments?
    ddly enough my friend who hates so called "masculine" perfumes on women thought it was beautiful
    Which notes dominated in the blend?
    Cedar, it also has a very intense, acrid smoky opening
    Did it smell the way you imagined it would?
    It did, because it smells exactly like firewood. Dry, dry wood.
    Would you wear it again?
    I'll finish my sample, but don't think I'll purchase a bottle. I'd like to smell this on a man. Despite my friend's opinion, I found it very masculine.
    Score / Rating?
    3/5
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

For flower day, Tuberose Diabolique in Parfum Extrait.

My first impression is of gardenia rather than tuberose - and this pervades from top to bottom. Lays close to the skin and is slightly bitter with no underpinnings.

Well! No wonder!!! From her site, the Notes : Indian tuberose, Wild gardenia, Egyptian tuberose, Amber, Exotic spice, White carnation, Bitter orange.

I think I'll add some Joy later on - there is something wrong with me. I used to love almost all of AL - this week (or this go-around) I'm under-whelmed. Have I turned into a DIVA???? (No offense "Com" and "Moon"...although I know "Moon" is "Deva" and not "Diva"....!!!) Or am I just feeling betrayed and persnickety??

Will report as the day goes on - am taking this to work and the dreaded "boss" who hates EVERYthing.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I am also in Tuberose Diabolique. For me, I get the tuberose, which I recognise from Poison, but I also get hints of pina colada! I'm not sure where that's from, but I do rather like it. I get no bitterness. This is nice, actually - I could wear it. But I don't love it quite as much as Gardenia Musk (if Serena doesn't reopen and I run out of it, I'll be gutted! Or maybe I will order some Kai...there's a thought...)

Taolady - maybe you're looking for faults because you know you won't be able to buy any, so you're mentally trying to put yourself off?

summer means fireflys

What did you try? Venus Sands
    Scent Family? (incense, chypre, gourmand, floral, etc) tropical/floral
    Notes? Gardenia, Jasmine Sambac, Waterlily, Island Orchid, Comoro Ylang Ylang, Bergamot, Nutmeg, Clove , Thai Coconut Milk, Vanilla, Amber, Incense, Sandalwood.
    Formulation? don't know
    Did you like it? sort of, I think
    Is it a good autumn / winter scent? not typically fall or winter
    Did it elicit compliments / comments? yes, two compliments
    Which notes dominated in the blend? one of the florals, maybe Gardenia? coconut and vanilla
    Did it smell the way you imagined it would? yes
    Would you wear it again? maybe
    Score / Rating? (?? / 5) 3 out 5

I found Venus Sands to be tropical but not overly suntan lotion-y nor too sweet. I got two separate compliments, telling me how good I smelled today. I don't wear a lot of tropicals, but one way I do like to wear them is in the dead of winter, when they are a little unexpected.