Code of Conduct

Question Tom Ford for Men and the Vera Wang Vibe

They finally had TFfM at Neimans, and of course I couldn't wait to give it a sniff.

Rather good, and I couldn't help but think that it wasn't a scent for the twenty-something man, and definitely went along the sophisticated lines of his big bucks clothing.

Then it finally hit me that it really reminded me of Vera Wang for Men--big time! VW, however was smoother and TFfM is a lot more 'textured', powdery and thank goodness has some staying power compared to Vera.

On a side note, all I can say is WOW, do we really need an Extreme version? The regular version seems to lay on a pretty thick cloud already.

For those who've tried Vera Wang for Men too, would be nice to hear your opinions as well.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 20th October 2007 at 05:19 AM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Default Re: Tom Ford for Men and the Vera Wang Vibe

So I just came back from Nordstroms with brand new Hanae Mori and Narciso Rodriguez. They had the Tom Ford display up as soon as you walk in the door, so I decided to give this another try. I sprayed the back of my hand 3 (yes 3) times on each hand. It still smelled like almost nothing was there. But I really dosen't smell bad to me. I think I didn't care for it at first because I loved Black Orchid and was expecting something similar. But this stuff is like Dior Homme on my skin. I can spray away and it will smell really light like nothings there. But later it starts getting stronger and stronger.

Sorry I forgot the A.
    Last edited by BlueberryMansions; 20th October 2007 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryMansions View Post
    So I just came back from Nordstroms with brand new Hane Mori and Narciso Rodriguez.
    Do you mean to say that there is a new Hanae Mori fragrance?

Thrax

I cant smell any similarities to Vera Wang. Sorry.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post

On a side note, all I can say is WOW, do we really need an Extreme version? The regular version seems to lay on a pretty thick cloud already.

For those who've tried Vera Wang for Men too, would be nice to hear your opinions as well.
    It's all about skin chemistry iMaverick - TFFM virtually disappears on my skin (and many other Basenoters it seems). So, yes I will take the Extreme version as soon as it's released. No 'thick cloud' from the regular for me.

I've never smelled Vera Wang - however I remember Chandler Burr raving about the womens.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Recently joining I've heard a lot of Tom Ford.. Didn't think it would be available here in Aus, but I was just at the local David Jones, and they actually have a Tom Ford sort of section set up and all...

I tried the Tom Ford for Men, Neroli Portofino as well as the Moss Breeches I think it was..
    I don't know if its me but TFfM reminded me a whole lot of DKNY Be Delicious for Men...
    Moss Breeches was intriguingly spicy.. I liked Neroli, but I'm gonna consider it seriously since it costs 275 dollars for 50mls!

Basenotes Institution

OK - I tried Vera Wang for Men today and I disagree with the similarities.

No lemon at ALL in Vera Wang (as it shows up in TFFM immediately at the top notes). VW is tangy and sweet (TFFM is not). VW drydown is missing a musk drydown (TFFM has a very musky, albeit synthetic drydown).

Having said that, Vera Wang is not that bad. I can't imagine owning a bottle. But then, I can't imagine owning a bottle of TFFM either. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd chose VW.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd October 2007 at 12:27 AM.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    I cant smell any similarities to Vera Wang. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    OK - I tried Vera Wang for Men today and I disagree with the similarities.

No lemon at ALL in Vera Wang (as it shows up in TFFM immediately at the top notes). VW is tangy and sweet (TFFM is not). VW drydown is missing a musk drydown (TFFM has a very musky, albeit synthetic drydown).
    Wow, it must reveal itself really differently on every individual, because on my skin I catch the citrus, tobacco and leather notes in TFfM much the same way I caught those notes in VW, although TFfm on me is more powdery like VinTab, and it's deeper with a very woodsy and musky tone at its base. VW has a smoother composition with a slight boozy effect like that of Escada Pour Homme.

I had the same experience like BlueberryMansions. At first, you think nothing is there at all, then suddenly the top notes release the olfactory block and the scent gains force. Lotta oomph for me with the EdT, but it would be interesting to sniff the EdP in November. I was on the fence with Vera Wang, but the Tom Ford definitely warrants a purchase.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 22nd October 2007 at 03:07 AM.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

The topnotes of Tom Ford for Men is a bit like DKNY be delicious for Men...that came into my mind.

I'm thinking about getting TFfM, I really like it. Should I wait for the extreme edition or should I get it now?

See if you can finagle a sample to tide you over 'til November. I'm quite happy with the strength and sillage so the EdT should do fine for me. More than likely I'll pick up the Extreme as well if my nose gives the nod.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by dple View Post
    I'm thinking about getting TFfM, I really like it. Should I wait for the extreme edition or should I get it now?
    I think the regular and Extreme smell totally different. If you like the regular, you might not like the Extreme (and vice versa).

So, if you like TFfM, buy it!

-- Jack Kerouac

Got a sample yesterday and put it on an hour ago. It's completely gone already.
    Dried up not down. Which is just as well. It did indeed smell a lot like Vera Wang (+ citrus for a few seconds) while it lasted.
    Totally unremarkable.

It's funny because the "vibe" I got from it was "Tiffany for Men". And don't asked me where I pulled that vibe out of because the last time I smelled Tiffany was about 15 years ago.

This scent reacts a lot with my skin chemistry on the times I've worn it. Sometimes I get a longer experience with the citrus, which I like a lot in this scent, with a woody cedar like tone underneath. Other times it goes straight to musk and leather and gets more powdery and ends with a darker woody note that's more like guaiac. Then there's times it doesn't project at all and disappears. Weird!

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I don`t know Vera Wang but Tom Ford for Men was a huge letdown for me.Let`s hope the Extreme is better.

^What iMaverick says completely. I have gotten 12 hours from TFFM, and sometimes I get 4 hours. There is something compelling about this scent I think for me. I am patient with it and am wearing it at least twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy View Post
    It's funny because the "vibe" I got from it was "Tiffany for Men". And don't asked me where I pulled that vibe out of because the last time I smelled Tiffany was about 15 years ago.
    You're not far off the mark with that association either. I was thinking Escada pour Homme yesterday myself. They all seem to fall under that deep woody musky genre.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Red face Re: Tom Ford for Men and the Vera Wang Vibe

I love the new TFfM. That is to say when I first spray it on. When I first spray it on it's great and it does have a powdery scent to it, but not overpowering. Then, no matter how much I've sprayed, within 20 minutes it's completely gone. Disappeared. Very disappointing but I will be giving the Extreme version a try. BTW I do love Black Orchid. Get lots a compliments on that one.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The