Code of Conduct

Default Because of Basenotes

What was the first fragrance you purchased because of Basenotes? Not necessarily a blind buy, but your first purchase that was inspired by conversations, reviews, or general popularity on Basenotes. Also, how did it pan out?

My first purchase that was influenced by my readings/discussion on BN was Eau Sauvage. I had seen it a million times, but never really thought to test it out. (Not sure why.) After reading some really great reviews and seeing it pop up rather often in the forum, I thought I would give it a try; it sounded very much like the style of scents that I love. I am very happy that I did because it was exactly what I was looking for. I purchased it a few days later and it has been one of my favorites ever since.

So, how about you?
    You are not your perfume.

Default Re: Because of Basenotes

Bois d'Argent. Decided to try a sample. Hooked. I'm sure many more are to follow.

Banned

The first purchase that was influenced from reading the forum would probably be Green Irish Tweed.. I happen to love it also, but I really wish it wasn't a blind buy as I'm oh so accustomed to blind buying these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Bois d'Argent. Decided to try a sample. Hooked. I'm sure many more are to follow.

Glad to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    The first purchase that was influenced from reading the forum would probably be Green Irish Tweed.. I happen to love it also, but I really wish it wasn't a blind buy as I'm oh so accustomed to blind buying these days.
    I had the exact same experience - all of it - from the initial GIT purchase to the frequent blind buys.

Must be an Ohio thing
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Guerlian Vetiver Eau Glacee and Heritage. Both bought at the same time.

Mont Blanc Presence. I got rid of it but I now regret it...it has a very interesting development in hindsight. That was way back in the day. After that, Magnetism, which I still like but tend to find a little boring from overuse and exposure to more interesting scents.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 20th October 2007 at 05:53 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I think mine was Egoiste Platinum. I think it was, at least, because I can't remember if my purchases of Dior's Higher and Chanel Allure Homme were based on Basenotes or the reasons I started wondering about fragrances and found basenotes. Either of them could have been the first Basenotes inspired purchase or puchased after Platinum was.

My first niche purchase came about a month later and it was the result if intensive Basenotes examination and scent testing because of it. It was L'Artisan's Santal.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Mine was a blind Buy: Platinum Egoiste.

I got a sample of Acier Aluminum after reading some good things about it. Once I smelled it, I bought a bottle. Then I got hooked on fragrances trying to find something that'll surpass my beloved AA. Haven't got there yet, but some are getting close (the sample of Musc Ravageur I got a few days ago is some *amazing* stuff). At least I found a few fragrances that are much more wearable in more varied situations.

It's just, damn, I've spent a lot of money so far, and there's easily a thousand dollars' worth of other fragrances I want.

Damn this wonderful hobby!

Voleur de Roses I think.

I think it was Guerlain Vetiver.

Or Caron Pour Homme.

Cant remember

Because of Basenotes Ive attempted to source some well-loved scents that are spoken of here often... mainly to sniff or sample.

But I'm yet to make a purchase based on a BN'ers reccommendation.

My first BN-inspiration was Guerlain's Jicky. Before that I didn't dare to wear a 'feminine' scent. Since then I've turned into an old lady. Thanks, BN :-(

Basenotes Institution

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Mine was the sublime L'air du desert morocain by Andy Tauer and I haven't looked back. It was the first of many blind buys inspired by BNer's.

My first basenotes inspired purchase was Creed's Original Santal. I decided I had to have a Creed after reading some of the many wonderful things said about the house. I went down to Neiman's to test some of their scents. I fell in love with OS and took it home that day. As much as I love it, I really only find myself putting it on in cooler weather.

John Varvatos. And i like it !!! =]

Can't remember...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Because of basenotes the first frag I purchased blindly was Azzaro Visit. I still wear it to this day and it was my SOTD yesterday.

smeller

Van Cleef & Arpels. Bought it blind, based on directory reviews. They didn't let me test it, because they only had this 30 ml bottle. Very cheap, and later I found out it's the vintage formulation. It was about a year ago.

Blog Entries

I bought Creed SMW, MI, & OV the month after I joined Basenotes. Unfortunately I had to return the MI because it became kinda dull & muted on my skin. But, I thoroughly enjoyed SMW & OV. I think I also bought Dolce & Gabanna PH shortly after I joined, as well.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

When I joined Basenotes two years ago, I had been sampling, buying perfumes for 30 years, but never a single women's fragrance. After reading so many threads on BN, I decided to buy Alexander McQueen Kingdom blind.I loved it immediately... and have since bought many other perfumes marketed for women, the latest one being Prada Infusion d'Iris.

I am pretty sure it was Silver Mountain Water....from waaay back. I think Basenotes was on Yahoo at the time. I've never looked back since..!

Probably Terre D'Hermes. I got caught up in the hype.

The only one that I got blind because of Basenotes was Romeo Gigli.
    But here I got interested in sweet frags, the "classics", and the ones marketed to women. I would mention Kouros, Kingdom, and Rochas Man as examples of previously avoided ones. It was long long time ago. These days I am eager to try anything new and old and marketed to kids.

Yohji Homme - as in Edith Piaf/Shirley Bassey: no regrets. See my post in the SOTD thread...

I bought Creed OV from CJ; my first official purchase. It went downhill from there.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Green Frich Tweed or Gucci Envy. I really don't remember.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

The first fragrance I purchased because of Basenotes was Mugler Cologne, on the recommendations of several Basenoters.

Zero regrets... I've loved it ever since.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Blind buy of Kiehls Musk

Tea for 2 by L'artisan
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

been a while back... prob the dreamer or bvlgari black
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Wink Re: Because of Basenotes

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    What was the first fragrance you purchased because of Basenotes? Not necessarily a blind buy, but your first purchase that was inspired by conversations, reviews, or general popularity on Basenotes. Also, how did it pan out?

My first purchase that was influenced by my readings/discussion on BN was Eau Sauvage. I had seen it a million times, but never really thought to test it out. (Not sure why.) After reading some really great reviews and seeing it pop up rather often in the forum, I thought I would give it a try; it sounded very much like the style of scents that I love. I am very happy that I did because it was exactly what I was looking for. I purchased it a few days later and it has been one of my favorites ever since.

So, how about you?
    Kenzo pour Homme
    Then havana...
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Terre D'Hermes after the 7th awards

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Because of Basenotes Ive attempted to source some well-loved scents that are spoken of here often... mainly to sniff or sample.

But I'm yet to make a purchase based on a BN'ers reccommendation.
    Actually having just read MRHero's post above Id like to revise my previous post...
    I too hunted down TdH because of its reviews here, and that first sampling resulted in a purchase... I had quite forgotten.

Creed's Original Vetiver; blind buy and I was hooked!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Terre d'Hermes. It has never left its chaise in my pantheon of scent.

Sorry to "copy" *ehem* but I was all set to give up on Terre d'Hermes as well and because of the reviews here I tried it again and was hooked. It's now one of my favorites of all time. Because of Basenotes, I'm a fragrance fanatic! Thank you Basenotes!
    Last edited by nthny; 22nd October 2007 at 06:20 AM.

Well, first of all, Basenotes inspired me to order a whole bunch of samples. That in turn has lead to the definite purchase - imminent if not yet actualized - of Knize Ten, which I've fallen in love with.

Either something from Malle or the CdG Avignon or Kyoto.

I took the advice of my brother from another mother aka mikeperez and bought the Kelly Caleche.

Thank you Mike
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Terre D'Hermes
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I have basenotes to thank for introducing me to the wonderful world of Geir and everything by L'artisan

(my 2 "signature" scents are now Geir for warm weather and Tea for Two in cool weather)

Think it must have been Musc Ravageur . . .

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Ah, my first Basenotes buys - four L'Artisan decants: L'Eau de L'Artisan, Mure et Musc, Ananas Fizz and the love-at-first-sniff Voleur de Roses.

Thank you, guys and gals, for paving the way to my slippery slope

Mugler Cologne ------- very very very green. l love it.

Terre D'Hermes.

My addiction to fragrances is a recent thing. It all started when all I wanted to do was to look up what people 'thought' of a few fragrances I saw for sale on a flyer. Then it just snowballed and the next time I got to a store, I was checking out all the stuff people on here repeatedly mentionned or liked.

Pretty much everything I have, I was influenced on buying because of basenotes.

Damn you.

I believe mine was Gucci Envy, my second bottle ever.

Smile Re: Because of Basenotes

I am almost certain it was three scents. GIT, Himalaya and Vera wang for men. I had no Idea one could find these scents on the web so I drove about 130 miles round trip to a Neiman Marcus north of Detroit near the Palace at Aubern Hills Just for the Creeds. Saw the Vera Wang as an aside and thought. What the hay might as well get that too. The Git and Vera still thrill me. I have a come and go relationship with himalaya. I don' dislike it but sometimes its like eeeeeeh maybe I'll wear it maybe not.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Issey Miyake

Not my favorite but the first and the beginning of a world of wonderful fragrances..
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I actually bought B*Men blind because I read on here that you can't go wrong with any of Mugler's scents. I'm now thinking of getting Mugler Cologne...

M7, Caron Third Man, and Chevignon.

LOVE all three.

I remember this one 'very' clearly...

HAVANA....

a.

Guerlain Vetiver, along with Creed's MI and Green Irish Tweed.

Because of Basenotes: I know refer to cologne as "Smell good" thanks to Tvlampboy... Thanks sir
    I'm so fo sho' it's no facade/ Stay out of trouble momma said as momma sighed/ For her fear her youngest son be a victim of homicide/ But I gotta get you out of here momma.. Or I'm gonna die..Inside...So either eay you lose me momma/ So let loose of me!

Why So Serious?

1st: Piper Nigrum
    -didn't really like it, too spicy.

2nd: Millesime Imperial
    -really liked it, but a bit pricey.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Dior Homme was the first scent I can really remember buying based on reviews and ravings of people here. I bought it blind, obviously, and it worked out in my favor. I got a scent that I will never be without again.

Opium pour Homme by YSL, because its sexy and attractive poster :P