Code of Conduct

Default The Pope's cologne: Pope Pius IX

From the website, www.thepopescologne.com:

The Pope’s Cologne is a classic Old World cologne made from the private formula of Pope Pius IX (1792-1878). We obtained this formula from descendants of the commander of his Papal Guard and lifelong friend, General Charles Charette. We have followed this complex, exclusive formula meticulously, using the same essential oils that his perfumers used 150 years ago.
    Marina of Perfume-Smellin' Things reported about this in 2006. I did a search in the directory, but the closest match I got were three fragrances by Popy Moreni.

Now for the inevitable question: do chicks dig this?
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Default Re: The Pope's cologne: Pope Pius IX

Quote Originally Posted by Marcello View Post
    Now for the inevitable question: do chicks dig this?
    No, but I hear the nuns are wild for it!

Although the idea of an old scent recipe being bought back into the light of day pleases me, I doubt if many people would like to smell like a pope.
    Can anyone say "mothballs"...

It also doubles as holy water...
    I'd be a bit cautious of a company that sells its perfume by the case. A dozen bottles of The Pope's Perfume? Why? To hand out with communion?
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

does it say 'strictly one bottle per family'?

so the older folk don't spend their life savings on it.

Does it mention a Mint, but not the US Mint?

and the biggie. Does it come with a certificate of authenticity?

Last year they were hawking what Marie Antoinette wore. (to coincide with the movie?) The exact formula. Where'd that go?

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Last year they were hawking what Marie Antoinette wore. (to coincide with the movie?) The exact formula. Where'd that go?
    that one is called "M.A. Sillage de le Reine". It was made by Francis Kurkdjian and based on research by Elizabeth Feydeau for her book "A Scented Palace". Apparently they made 10 copies of the "prestige" version and 1,000 "regular" bottles, which went on sale by subscription in June 2006. More info here:

http://www.chateauversailles.fr/en/1...e_la_Reine.php
    Last edited by Marcello; 20th October 2007 at 02:27 PM.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Cardinal might be a good choice!
    Last edited by jdnba; 20th October 2007 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    im surprised the old man doesnt wear gucci or prada since he has been spotted sporting gucci and prada shoes...i always thought growing up catholic, or so i was taught, that priests are supposed to take a strict vow of poverty...ha ha yeah...nice rings, robes and gucci shoes Pope Joe...this is the same dude that thinks Harry Potter is the devil! so maybe on those sort of days he wears like passage d'enfer or the ill mentioned l'anarchiste(is that how you spell it?)

I must say though, as a historian, i love this kind of stuff...great post, i always wondered what the kings and popes of yore were wearing when passing out indulgences and overthrowing kingdoms!
    Pope Pius IX (1792-1878)

I love this shot of him at a Maserati dealership outside Milan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pius_ix.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Pope Pius IX (1792-1878)

I love this shot of him at a Maserati dealership outside Milan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pius_ix.jpg

I was talkin about the new pope who they brought back the fragrance for...not pope pious IX...you know joseph ratzinger otherwise known as Benedict XVI...who did bless a fleet of ferraris...and by the way it was a joke!

So i take it this isn't a Tom Ford product?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    I was talkin about the new pope who they brought back the fragrance for...not pope pious IX...you know joseph ratzinger otherwise known as Benedict XVI...who did bless a fleet of ferraris...and by the way it was a joke!
    I was kidding too. That's a great shot of the Maserati dealership though. Ain't it? Also not being a Catholic boy, I have no idea where my soul is headed but if it's anything like I hear, I'm taking Vetiver. just haven't chosen whose. I'm sure they'll have SA's

The Pope is also coming out with another one...it will be called "Forgivable."
    Last edited by knightowl; 20th October 2007 at 05:12 PM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

--------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    The Pope is also coming out with another one...it will be called "Forgivable."
    that is some funny shit!
    Last edited by jdnba; 20th October 2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Gents, obviously what scent a pope wears is fragrance talk and thus germane to the focus of the forum and thus very cool to talk about.

However, reflections on religion and commentary on its practice or observation violates the rules, however innocently and in fun the comments are made.

2.8 You are requested to avoid 'hot topics'

The Basenotes Community is not a suitable platform for the discussion of politics, religion and other hot topics. Posts, signatures and any other material you make public to the site containing these or any other hot topics may be locked, edited or removed.
    Thanks very much, and know that I'd like to try something reserved for that office and find out what it smells like too.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

my bad dude...sorry bout that!

No problem man. All cool.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.