Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 95
  1. #1

    Default Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Well , after reading indie_guy's topic , i decided to take the car and visit my nearest perfume shop.

    I located the botle of Rive Gauche, sprayed once on my wrist, and left the store, going back home.

    In the car i smelled it; agreed that it is very good, but i wasnt really impressed.
    Judging on the comments this got as being sex in a botle, i wasn't impressed and slightly disappointed.

    I came home and decided to ask my mom if she liked this scent.

    She was sniffing my wrist for a minute.
    She got tears in her eyes and started philosophating how amazingly good this was.
    She stated that this would certainly attract girls.
    A true chick magnet, according to her.
    I had never seen a person react so emotional to a scent.
    According to her, this smells like a freshly shaven guy and describes it as being so sexy you might score a girl every night you go out.

    Me, in total shock, realised i should buy this as it delivers the rumored effect.

    But then i realised my mom isn't in the age group where i want this effect to happen.

    SO THE MAIN QUESTION: As a 19 year old university student, can i use Rive Gauche without smelling like a very, very old man?

    And will the special effect also work on younger girls?
    Last edited by Suppressor; 20th October 2007 at 11:31 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!!

    Interesting question. I have RG and just ordered RGL; I think its a great, versatile scent. I don't get the "sex in the bottle" descriptions others have provided. I happen to believe that the barbasol shaving cream concept will only work with those who have experience with it. I suspect that if you're young that you may not have even heard of barbasol.

    All that said, I don't get the old man scent with this one as much as BdP or others.

    TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

  3. #3

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!!

    My mother knows best, whether I like it or not...

    Rive Gauche will get the required reaction. Whether you like it or not...

    (BTW try the Intense and ask her opinion again )

  4. #4

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!!

    I would actually like to know how old Rive Gauce users are..

    So be free to say your age!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I would actually like to know how old Rive Gauce users are..

    So be free to say your age!
    I'm a frequent user and I'm 45. So far, it has not had the desired effect on any woman, man, dog, cat, or anyone else, sad to say. I still like it, though.


  6. #6

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    You're not going to want to hear this but I wear RG once in a while......I'm a 'young' 68...


    Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

    "The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

  7. #7

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Don't forget to react to the main post to.

    So far this topic makes me depressed lol

  8. #8

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I came home and decided to ask my mom if she liked this scent.She was sniffing my wrist for a minute. She stated that this would certainly attract girls. A true chick magnet, according to her. According to her, this smells like a freshly shaven guy and describes it as being so sexy you might score a girl every night you go out.But then i realised my mom isn't in the age group where i want this effect to happen.
    I think that it's safe to say you'll have a large group of mothers waiting outside your door.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    To skew the curve even further, I am 50ish, and don't care for RG that much.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I would actually like to know how old Rive Gauche users are..
    So be free to say your age!
    Born 1973 - able to appreciate Signoricci (1976) and wanting to go further into the past.

    You're getting depressed...(wondering why...dangerous grounds...

    ...

    ...

    careful...)

  11. #11

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973 View Post
    Born 1973 - able to appreciate Signoricci (1976) and wanting to go further into the past.

    You're getting depressed...(wondering why...dangerous grounds...

    ...

    ...

    careful...)
    Depressed is a big word ofcourse.
    I just don't want to end up smelling like an old man.

    I can't imagine something worse...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Rive Gauche is the one to wear -- if you want to attract MILF's!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    I hope this won't turn into a comedy topic.

    It seriously isn't meant like that.

    I'm just full of doubts if i should use a seventies powerhouse as a 19 year old guy.

  14. #14
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,820

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    My experience is that women of all ages like it.

    The main thing is whether or not you like it. "Waste time wondering what 'cologne' pulls better, and your genes will spread only by lucky accident. A perfume should be right for the man, not the job."

  15. #15

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    The men's version was a Tom Ford release in 2003. The female one is the 70s one.

    Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I hope this won't turn into a comedy topic.

    It seriously isn't meant like that.

    I'm just full of doubts if i should use a seventies powerhouse as a 19 year old guy.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    The men's version was a Tom Ford release in 2003. The female one is the 70s one.
    You almost made my day.

    +1 for jrd4t

    I'm still full of doubts though lol
    Last edited by Suppressor; 27th October 2007 at 10:54 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    It wasn't my intention to derail your thread. I was just being a smart ass.

    I'm 35 and i love RG. But sadly, i have never had any strong reactions from women while wearing it. If i were you, i would only use a small amount and see how women your age react. You never know, you just might be surprised.
    Last edited by ajmc; 21st October 2007 at 12:19 AM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I think that it's safe to say you'll have a large group of mothers waiting outside your door.
    A bunch of Mrs. Robinsons

    or....

    a pack of cougars.

    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

  19. #19

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    I can tell you that I'm probably going to blind buy it now just from your initial story... and I'm 26.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I can tell you that I'm probably going to blind buy it now just from your initial story... and I'm 26.
    I can guarantee you that this story is true.
    Your post still can't convince me as you never smelled it lol.

    If only indie_guy told us how old he is and how old that girl is who bit his nipple.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    I wish they made smellavision computer screens. Log into a site, pay twenty cents, have a poof come out Our lives would all be so much easier.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

  22. #22

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    Well , after reading indie_guy's topic , i decided to take the car and visit my nearest perfume shop.

    I located the botle of Rive Gauche, sprayed once on my wrist, and left the store, going back home.

    In the car i smelled it; agreed that it is very good, but i wasnt really impressed.
    Judging on the comments this got as being sex in a botle, i wasn't impressed and slightly disappointed.

    I came home and decided to ask my mom if she liked this scent.

    She was sniffing my wrist for a minute.
    She got tears in her eyes and started philosophating how amazingly good this was.
    She stated that this would certainly attract girls.
    A true chick magnet, according to her.
    I had never seen a person react so emotional to a scent.
    According to her, this smells like a freshly shaven guy and describes it as being so sexy you might score a girl every night you go out.

    Me, in total shock, realised i should buy this as it delivers the rumored effect.

    But then i realised my mom isn't in the age group where i want this effect to happen.

    SO THE MAIN QUESTION: As a 19 year old university student, can i use Rive Gauche without smelling like a very, very old man?

    And will the special effect also work on younger girls?

    Just my opinion, but I cant imagine wearing something that I dont care for much, whether so and so says it will attract women or not. You've worn it, so does it make you smell like a very old man? Only you can decide that.

    I own the light version and only wear it on certain formal occasions.
    Last edited by Words; 21st October 2007 at 12:48 AM.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

  23. #23

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    If you don't like it, don't wear it. If you feel uncomfortable wearing it, don't wear it. If you feel no confidence wearing it, don't wear it.

    Problem solved.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Haha, I'm also gonna blind buy this one, see for myself what all the hype is.

    - Tomer
    Currently hooked on: Gucci Envy, Armani Code and L'eau ST Dupont

  25. #25

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Just my opinion, but I cant imagine wearing something that I dont care for much, whether so and so says it will attract women or not. You've worn it, so does it make you smell like a very old man? Only you can decide that.

    I own the light version and only wear it on certain formal occasions.
    I can't really decide if this is the scent for an old man.
    That's why i ask your opinions about this scent.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I can't really decide if this is the scent for an old man.
    That's why i ask your opinions about this scent.

    Dont you think it smells alot like Shaving Cream? Most men that shave use shaving cream, not just the older ones.

    Smell is very subjective, hard for someone to tell you what you smell and even harder to tell you what you think it smells like. It would be one thing if you were asking and hadnt smelled it before, but you have.
    Last edited by Words; 21st October 2007 at 01:04 AM.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

  27. #27

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Dont you think it smells alot like Shaving Cream? Most men that shave use shaving cream, not just the older ones.

    Smell is very subjective, hard for someone to tell you what you smell and even harder to tell you what you think it smells like. It would be one thing if you were asking and hadnt smelled it before, but you have.
    A scent like Eau Sauvage (Dior) smells, to me, like an old man perfume.

    All i wonna know is if Rive Gauche is just like that.
    I just want people's opinions.

    If someone can convince me, i'll retest Rive Gauche and decide on the factors mister R$ mentioned.

    Some people just can't help talking about anything but the subject.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Im 18 and it smells young, so dont worry =]

  29. #29

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Im 18 and it smells young, so dont worry =]
    You are the guy i am looking for.
    Finally a young owner of RG.

    I like your wardrobe a lot btw.

    I'll certainly retest it.

    Keep reacting people!

  30. #30

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Haha really. I hate my wardrobe I hate Roberto Cavalli and just wanna get rid of it. let's see if i get any compliments on my RG (intense). Great Sillage + longevity (i hardly say this to any frag except this and A men).

    My story about RG (how i got it): Last year i walked pass YSL shop >>> heard about RG on basenotes: "young, masculine,sexy, chick magnet, king of compliments" >>> tried it >> didnt like it >>> go home.
    just a few weeks ago, there were so many frag on sale at Myer department store. Tried it again. Didnt like it that much. Bought it anyway, realize it was not the original version, it was RG intense. Wore it on my body and immediately fell in love.
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 21st October 2007 at 02:14 AM.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Ah, to be young and insecure...
    I don't miss it one bit.
    Last edited by knightowl; 21st October 2007 at 02:16 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  32. #32

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    I am 31 and I own and love RG. Haven't tried the Intense version.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    I'm 21 and I wear RG every so often, I only have a small decant, which is running out. Don't worry about how old other users are, I'm not much older than you and almost all of my colognes are 70's powerhouses or have "that smell."

  34. #34

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Is this really a serious post?

    No knock at all on the mother if it's true, but I find a lot of things too incredible here to believe that this story isn't made up:

    -that a mother would would start crying after smelling a mass-markket fragrance that her son bought
    -that a mother would use typical teenage guy talk expressions like "chick-magnet"
    -that a mother would use typical teenage guy talk by telling a 19-year old son that he would "score a girl every night".
    -that a mother would seem to be encouraging a 19-year old son to score every night
    -that a guy the same age as a parent of a 19-year old would be a considered a "very very old man"

    Again, don't get me wrong. If it's true, I'm not knocking the mother nor the original poster and I'm sorry if it offended him. But, there's just too much typical teenage guy thought processes and language here (hey, I'm not knocking teenage guys here either) to believe that this isn't just a pretty good piece of fiction to help solve a dilemna..
    Last edited by MikeFromManhattan; 21st October 2007 at 04:36 AM.

  35. #35

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Hey, I heard my name!

    Rive Gauche transcends "age". Rive Gauche has "It".

    yours truly,

    Indie_Guy


    btw- I was 31 and the girl that bit me was 22. It wasn't on the nipple, but the arm

  36. #36

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I can't really decide if this is the scent for an old man.
    That's why i ask your opinions about this scent.
    I honestly cannot get this association I have never had the slightest idea why people would say this about RG. To me it is a weak, mildly pleasant fragrance with no prominent "era associations". But others disagree and I defer to them on this maybe I got a dud bottle.

    However, I suggest the empirical method. Go out with your lure and see if you catch any fish!! If you don't you know it is not true. (My money is on it not being true btw.)

    But I also want to say what a wonderfully supportive mother you have. I wish all mothers were like that! Cherish yours!
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter they are known as liars.

  37. #37

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    i have smelled RG and although i hardly remember what it smelled like i do not recall there being any "old" kind of smell (i'm 16 btw)

  38. #38

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    i think rive gauche is the ultimate 'old man' scent, just to throw another extreme into the mix. it is so incredibly dry, and i think ultimately that's what projects the age association to me. i find it completely unwearable. i have asked dozens of friends in my age group (early/mid twenties) and without fail they think of it as an old man smell.

    that said, smells don't get girls, guys do, so don't buy a scent based on supposed 'sex appeal', as the closest you'll find to sex in a bottle is something you can wear with confidence. follow your nose to something nice.

    but in case you were wondering the best female reactions i've had to scent, they've been prada amber pour homme (crazy), polo double black (what the?) and vera wang for men. it's so damn subjective i'm not sure i'm even helping you here.

  39. #39

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan View Post
    Is this really a serious post?

    No knock at all on the mother if it's true, but I find a lot of things too incredible here to believe that this story isn't made up:

    -that a mother would would start crying after smelling a mass-markket fragrance that her son bought
    -that a mother would use typical teenage guy talk expressions like "chick-magnet"
    -that a mother would use typical teenage guy talk by telling a 19-year old son that he would "score a girl every night".
    -that a mother would seem to be encouraging a 19-year old son to score every night
    -that a guy the same age as a parent of a 19-year old would be a considered a "very very old man"

    Again, don't get me wrong. If it's true, I'm not knocking the mother nor the original poster and I'm sorry if it offended him. But, there's just too much typical teenage guy thought processes and language here (hey, I'm not knocking teenage guys here either) to believe that this isn't just a pretty good piece of fiction to help solve a dilemna..

    I hear ya... I find it hard to believe that someone can smell a scent and then need others opinions on how that scent smells?

    Not to mention, it was originally posted that he wasnt impressed and slightly disappointed with RG, so why even bother with wearing it? Wow.
    Last edited by Words; 21st October 2007 at 06:47 AM.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

  40. #40

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Well, I'm 22 now, I was probably about 19 when I got RG and I really liked it then. I read a review by someone with more experience than me, that described it as lacking or incomplete, while meanwhile at the time, it was my favorite/one of my favorite scents. As time went on, I still found myself liking RG but the grating incomplete comparison was still on my mind. It doesn't bother me, and I like wearing it, when I do. I haven't had any compliments [ever] on it though..

  41. #41

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    JBL, to add further chaos to the argument, Im 34 and love the stuff. My wife (a very youthful 36) has threatened to make me celibate if I come within 50 feet of her wearing this scent!
    So, while shes been away on a business trip, I purchased the shower Gel. She arrives home today and I will shower thoroughly with it before she comes. I am curious to see if she has a true disliking for the scent, or if, when used in a lighter application, she finds it more mysterious
    I'll keep you posted...

  42. #42

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    I also just recently bought the shower gel; it does smell potent out of the tube.

    TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

  43. #43

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    JBL, to add further chaos to the argument, Im 34 and love the stuff. My wife (a very youthful 36) has threatened to make me celibate if I come within 50 feet of her wearing this scent!
    So, while shes been away on a business trip, I purchased the shower Gel. She arrives home today and I will shower thoroughly with it before she comes. I am curious to see if she has a true disliking for the scent, or if, when used in a lighter application, she finds it more mysterious
    I'll keep you posted...
    I think if we never hear from you again we'll know what happened.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter they are known as liars.

  44. #44

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    If you don't like it, don't wear it. If you feel uncomfortable wearing it, don't wear it. If you feel no confidence wearing it, don't wear it.

    Problem solved.
    - Rich
    Hear, hear!
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

    There is always the sky to look at

  45. #45

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    If you don't like it, don't wear it. If you feel uncomfortable wearing it, don't wear it. If you feel no confidence wearing it, don't wear it.

    Problem solved.
    - Rich
    Absolutely!

    There's too much analysis and worry about enjoying this hobby. If It smells good wear it. If it smells good, the people around, including potential mates, will enjoy smelling it irregardless of when it came out or how old people are supposed to be to wear it.

  46. #46

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan
    Is this really a serious post?

    No knock at all on the mother if it's true, but I find a lot of things too incredible here to believe that this story isn't made up:

    -that a mother would would start crying after smelling a mass-markket fragrance that her son bought
    -that a mother would use typical teenage guy talk expressions like "chick-magnet"
    -that a mother would use typical teenage guy talk by telling a 19-year old son that he would "score a girl every night".
    -that a mother would seem to be encouraging a 19-year old son to score every night
    -that a guy the same age as a parent of a 19-year old would be a considered a "very very old man"

    Again, don't get me wrong. If it's true, I'm not knocking the mother nor the original poster and I'm sorry if it offended him. But, there's just too much typical teenage guy thought processes and language here (hey, I'm not knocking teenage guys here either) to believe that this isn't just a pretty good piece of fiction to help solve a dilemna..
    At home we talk dutch.
    So it's hard to translate it without sounding very teenage-like.
    My mom didn't start crying, she just had tears in her eyes, wet eyes.
    I also didn't buy the scent. It seems to me that some people have a problem with reading.
    Everything described in the original post is true.
    If you don't believe it, that's your problem.
    Why would i make up a fictional story?
    Would the question bother me if it was a fictional story? No.
    It seems that i need to add a disclaimer to every post i make.

    Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    I hear ya... I find it hard to believe that someone can smell a scent and then need others opinions on how that scent smells?

    Not to mention, it was originally posted that he wasnt impressed and slightly disappointed with RG, so why even bother with wearing it? Wow.
    MikeFromManhattan
    - Absolutely!

    There's too much analysis and worry about enjoying this hobby. If It smells good wear it. If it smells good, the people around, including potential mates, will enjoy smelling it irregardless of when it came out or how old people are supposed to be to wear it.
    Yes, i like someone's opinion about a scent.
    I had scents that i liked on myself but other percepted it as sour.
    It's good to know this before you buy anything.

    I wasn't impressed and even slightly disappointed because of all the hype.
    If you read carefully, i also said it is very good. Reading carefuly is the trick.
    You shouldn't judge if i should bother wearing this.
    All i want is a good answer.

    i think rive gauche is the ultimate 'old man' scent, just to throw another extreme into the mix. it is so incredibly dry, and i think ultimately that's what projects the age association to me. i find it completely unwearable. i have asked dozens of friends in my age group (early/mid twenties) and without fail they think of it as an old man smell.

    that said, smells don't get girls, guys do, so don't buy a scent based on supposed 'sex appeal', as the closest you'll find to sex in a bottle is something you can wear with confidence. follow your nose to something nice.

    but in case you were wondering the best female reactions i've had to scent, they've been prada amber pour homme (crazy), polo double black (what the?) and vera wang for men. it's so damn subjective i'm not sure i'm even helping you here.
    To all the people who think i'm crazy for calling RG an old man scent, just read this post.
    This is why i have doubts.

    I can't wait to read the follow up on Dimitri's post.

    RESPECT to the good posters.
    -1 for smartasses
    Last edited by Suppressor; 21st October 2007 at 01:45 PM.

  47. #47

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Nice comeback JBL!

    Well, consdering the Mrs was pleased to be home, she 'overlooked' the fact i had used the shower gel in favour of celebratory kisses.
    We opened gifts and so on, but a few minutes ago, I have just now noted the SG missing from the bathroom! haha!
    I think she'll win this battle. Maybe Ill keep it for use when shes on future business trips!

  48. #48

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Parts of this topic remind of the the debate of do we wear frags for ourselves or mainly for the attraction of other people. I am 20 and I have worn Rive Gauche in the past. I can see myself wearing it every now and again. I have to be in the right mood, the right clothes, and the right situation. To me, the dry down in RG is something I do not want to miss because I am not sure if other will like it or not. To me, it smells good and that is all that matters.

  49. #49

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    I bought RG when it was first released, I used my tin of it up and enjoyed it. I revisited it last year and felt it would be something good to wear to a funeral. When I spray it on it leaves me gasping for air, it's too clean and too artificial for me. Sort of like wearing Ozium.

  50. #50

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    I'm 28, and I'm lovin' it. I hope they will never discontinue it, never ever!
    Current Top 5

    1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

  51. #51

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    I'm 37 and find it funny when younger people say "Ugh, i'm so afraid of smelling like an old man." What they're really afraid of is being made fun of by their "friends" for wearing any fragrance that possesses some kind of character and sophistication...in other words being young, insecure and just wanting to blend in with the crowd.

    Thank God i'm becoming an "old" man, for i don't have to worry about these things any longer .
    Last edited by knightowl; 21st October 2007 at 05:32 PM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  52. #52

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    is there anything wrong with wearing a frag for the benefit of others? no! would we criticize someone for wearing particular clothes or dressing up in order to impress another person? i doubt it. there are so many reasons why people choose to wear the scents they do - i've worn things i've know girlfriends to enjoy without feeling much for them myself (hugo dark blue) and i've worn others selfishly while knowing people i would be spending time with dislike the scent (paul smith story).

    if jbl wants a cologne to improve his projection to girls, good for him. and honestly, that's a pretty tough order to fill - it's easy to find things that appeal to our own noses, but how to guess what a strangers tastes might be? maybe it's impossible, but our boy is giving it a shot. one persons 'character and sophistication' is anothers oxygen-sucking synthetic mess. it's so subjective, why judge?

    i'm still a great beleiver in the old 'a scent is attractive to people if you can wear it comfortably and with confidence'.




    ps:
    vera wang for men will get you laid, lolz

  53. #53

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    If i don't like how a fragrance smells, i'm not gonna wear it just to please someone else.

    But that's just me.
    Last edited by knightowl; 21st October 2007 at 05:52 PM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  54. #54

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post

    But that's just me.




    i think that's the point: different people have different motivations in wearing cologne.
    Last edited by chad278; 21st October 2007 at 06:07 PM.

  55. #55

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by chad278 View Post
    i think that's the point: different people have different motivations in wearing cologne.
    I have never disputed this, i simply made an observation.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  56. #56

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Does anyone know what department stores sell this?????

  57. #57

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    I'm 37 and find it funny when younger people say "Ugh, i'm so afraid of smelling like an old man." What they're really afraid of is being made fun of by their "friends" for wearing any fragrance that possesses some kind of character and sophistication...in other words being young, insecure and just wanting to blend in with the crowd.
    I wouldn't call myself young and insecure, but when it comes to RG, I have troubles trying to pull off wearing it. It doesn't really seem to fit me for various reasons (I'm 21). I do own a bottle but rarely wear it, and I enjoy this more then M7. For some reasons the drydown is a bit fluffy on my skin, I think it's either scattered or the note pyramid isn't very well structured. Though, I received a complicated once from my older brother, so I guess that's a good thing.

  58. #58

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    What they're really afraid of is being made fun of by their "friends" for wearing any fragrance that possesses some kind of character and sophistication...in other words being young, insecure and just wanting to blend in with the crowd.
    i just think that's a rather strong observation to make is all

    time to sleep....

  59. #59

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    Quote Originally Posted by chad278 View Post
    i just think that's a rather strong observation to make is all

    time to sleep....
    Rather strong? Absolutely...but still an observation.

    Good night.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  60. #60

    Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

    I. Love. Cologne.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Similar Threads

  1. Rive gauche - Sillage and staying power?
    By Tanzfreak24 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20th April 2006, 11:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •