Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Rive Gauche and age!!! [story inside]

Ah, to be young and insecure...
    I don't miss it one bit.
    Last edited by knightowl; 21st October 2007 at 02:16 AM.
    keepin' it musky
    Currently wearing: Frapin 1270 by Frapin

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I am 31 and I own and love RG. Haven't tried the Intense version.

I'm 21 and I wear RG every so often, I only have a small decant, which is running out. Don't worry about how old other users are, I'm not much older than you and almost all of my colognes are 70's powerhouses or have "that smell."
    Currently wearing: Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Is this really a serious post?

No knock at all on the mother if it's true, but I find a lot of things too incredible here to believe that this story isn't made up:

-that a mother would would start crying after smelling a mass-markket fragrance that her son bought
    -that a mother would use typical teenage guy talk expressions like "chick-magnet"
    -that a mother would use typical teenage guy talk by telling a 19-year old son that he would "score a girl every night".
    -that a mother would seem to be encouraging a 19-year old son to score every night
    -that a guy the same age as a parent of a 19-year old would be a considered a "very very old man"

Again, don't get me wrong. If it's true, I'm not knocking the mother nor the original poster and I'm sorry if it offended him. But, there's just too much typical teenage guy thought processes and language here (hey, I'm not knocking teenage guys here either) to believe that this isn't just a pretty good piece of fiction to help solve a dilemna..
    Last edited by MikeFromManhattan; 21st October 2007 at 04:36 AM.

Hey, I heard my name!

Rive Gauche transcends "age". Rive Gauche has "It".

yours truly,

Indie_Guy

btw- I was 31 and the girl that bit me was 22. It wasn't on the nipple, but the arm

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I can't really decide if this is the scent for an old man.
    That's why i ask your opinions about this scent.
    I honestly cannot get this association — I have never had the slightest idea why people would say this about RG. To me it is a weak, mildly pleasant fragrance with no prominent "era associations". But others disagree and I defer to them on this — maybe I got a dud bottle.

However, I suggest the empirical method. Go out with your lure and see if you catch any fish!! If you don't you know it is not true. (My money is on it not being true btw.)

But I also want to say what a wonderfully supportive mother you have. I wish all mothers were like that! Cherish yours!
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

i have smelled RG and although i hardly remember what it smelled like i do not recall there being any "old" kind of smell (i'm 16 btw)

i think rive gauche is the ultimate 'old man' scent, just to throw another extreme into the mix. it is so incredibly dry, and i think ultimately that's what projects the age association to me. i find it completely unwearable. i have asked dozens of friends in my age group (early/mid twenties) and without fail they think of it as an old man smell.

that said, smells don't get girls, guys do, so don't buy a scent based on supposed 'sex appeal', as the closest you'll find to sex in a bottle is something you can wear with confidence. follow your nose to something nice.

but in case you were wondering the best female reactions i've had to scent, they've been prada amber pour homme (crazy), polo double black (what the?) and vera wang for men. it's so damn subjective i'm not sure i'm even helping you here.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan View Post

No knock at all on the mother if it's true, but I find a lot of things too incredible here to believe that this story isn't made up:

-that a mother would would start crying after smelling a mass-markket fragrance that her son bought
    -that a mother would use typical teenage guy talk expressions like "chick-magnet"
    -that a mother would use typical teenage guy talk by telling a 19-year old son that he would "score a girl every night".
    -that a mother would seem to be encouraging a 19-year old son to score every night
    -that a guy the same age as a parent of a 19-year old would be a considered a "very very old man"

Again, don't get me wrong. If it's true, I'm not knocking the mother nor the original poster and I'm sorry if it offended him. But, there's just too much typical teenage guy thought processes and language here (hey, I'm not knocking teenage guys here either) to believe that this isn't just a pretty good piece of fiction to help solve a dilemna..

I hear ya... I find it hard to believe that someone can smell a scent and then need others opinions on how that scent smells?

Not to mention, it was originally posted that he wasnt impressed and slightly disappointed with RG, so why even bother with wearing it? Wow.
    Last edited by Words; 21st October 2007 at 06:47 AM.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Well, I'm 22 now, I was probably about 19 when I got RG and I really liked it then. I read a review by someone with more experience than me, that described it as lacking or incomplete, while meanwhile at the time, it was my favorite/one of my favorite scents. As time went on, I still found myself liking RG but the grating incomplete comparison was still on my mind. It doesn't bother me, and I like wearing it, when I do. I haven't had any compliments [ever] on it though..

JBL, to add further chaos to the argument, Im 34 and love the stuff. My wife (a very youthful 36) has threatened to make me celibate if I come within 50 feet of her wearing this scent!
    So, while shes been away on a business trip, I purchased the shower Gel. She arrives home today and I will shower thoroughly with it before she comes. I am curious to see if she has a true disliking for the scent, or if, when used in a lighter application, she finds it more mysterious
    I'll keep you posted...

I also just recently bought the shower gel; it does smell potent out of the tube.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    JBL, to add further chaos to the argument, Im 34 and love the stuff. My wife (a very youthful 36) has threatened to make me celibate if I come within 50 feet of her wearing this scent!
    So, while shes been away on a business trip, I purchased the shower Gel. She arrives home today and I will shower thoroughly with it before she comes. I am curious to see if she has a true disliking for the scent, or if, when used in a lighter application, she finds it more mysterious
    I'll keep you posted...
    I think if we never hear from you again we'll know what happened.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    If you don't like it, don't wear it. If you feel uncomfortable wearing it, don't wear it. If you feel no confidence wearing it, don't wear it.

Problem solved.
    - Rich
    Hear, hear!
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    If you don't like it, don't wear it. If you feel uncomfortable wearing it, don't wear it. If you feel no confidence wearing it, don't wear it.

Problem solved.
    - Rich
    Absolutely!

There's too much analysis and worry about enjoying this hobby. If It smells good wear it. If it smells good, the people around, including potential mates, will enjoy smelling it irregardless of when it came out or how old people are supposed to be to wear it.

Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan

At home we talk dutch.
    So it's hard to translate it without sounding very teenage-like.
    My mom didn't start crying, she just had tears in her eyes, wet eyes.
    I also didn't buy the scent. It seems to me that some people have a problem with reading.
    Everything described in the original post is true.
    If you don't believe it, that's your problem.
    Why would i make up a fictional story?
    Would the question bother me if it was a fictional story? No.
    It seems that i need to add a disclaimer to every post i make.

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    I hear ya... I find it hard to believe that someone can smell a scent and then need others opinions on how that scent smells?

Not to mention, it was originally posted that he wasnt impressed and slightly disappointed with RG, so why even bother with wearing it? Wow.
    MikeFromManhattan
    - Absolutely!

There's too much analysis and worry about enjoying this hobby. If It smells good wear it. If it smells good, the people around, including potential mates, will enjoy smelling it irregardless of when it came out or how old people are supposed to be to wear it.
    Yes, i like someone's opinion about a scent.
    I had scents that i liked on myself but other percepted it as sour.
    It's good to know this before you buy anything.

I wasn't impressed and even slightly disappointed because of all the hype.
    If you read carefully, i also said it is very good. Reading carefuly is the trick.
    You shouldn't judge if i should bother wearing this.
    All i want is a good answer.

i think rive gauche is the ultimate 'old man' scent, just to throw another extreme into the mix. it is so incredibly dry, and i think ultimately that's what projects the age association to me. i find it completely unwearable. i have asked dozens of friends in my age group (early/mid twenties) and without fail they think of it as an old man smell.

that said, smells don't get girls, guys do, so don't buy a scent based on supposed 'sex appeal', as the closest you'll find to sex in a bottle is something you can wear with confidence. follow your nose to something nice.

but in case you were wondering the best female reactions i've had to scent, they've been prada amber pour homme (crazy), polo double black (what the?) and vera wang for men. it's so damn subjective i'm not sure i'm even helping you here.
    To all the people who think i'm crazy for calling RG an old man scent, just read this post.
    This is why i have doubts.

I can't wait to read the follow up on Dimitri's post.

RESPECT to the good posters.
    -1 for smartasses
    Last edited by Suppressor; 21st October 2007 at 01:45 PM.

Nice comeback JBL!

Well, consdering the Mrs was pleased to be home, she 'overlooked' the fact i had used the shower gel in favour of celebratory kisses.
    We opened gifts and so on, but a few minutes ago, I have just now noted the SG missing from the bathroom! haha!
    I think she'll win this battle. Maybe Ill keep it for use when shes on future business trips!

Parts of this topic remind of the the debate of do we wear frags for ourselves or mainly for the attraction of other people. I am 20 and I have worn Rive Gauche in the past. I can see myself wearing it every now and again. I have to be in the right mood, the right clothes, and the right situation. To me, the dry down in RG is something I do not want to miss because I am not sure if other will like it or not. To me, it smells good and that is all that matters.

I bought RG when it was first released, I used my tin of it up and enjoyed it. I revisited it last year and felt it would be something good to wear to a funeral. When I spray it on it leaves me gasping for air, it's too clean and too artificial for me. Sort of like wearing Ozium.

I'm 28, and I'm lovin' it. I hope they will never discontinue it, never ever!
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto
    Currently wearing: Desire Silver by Dunhill

I'm 37 and find it funny when younger people say "Ugh, i'm so afraid of smelling like an old man." What they're really afraid of is being made fun of by their "friends" for wearing any fragrance that possesses some kind of character and sophistication...in other words being young, insecure and just wanting to blend in with the crowd.

Thank God i'm becoming an "old" man, for i don't have to worry about these things any longer .
    Last edited by knightowl; 21st October 2007 at 05:32 PM.
    keepin' it musky

is there anything wrong with wearing a frag for the benefit of others? no! would we criticize someone for wearing particular clothes or dressing up in order to impress another person? i doubt it. there are so many reasons why people choose to wear the scents they do - i've worn things i've know girlfriends to enjoy without feeling much for them myself (hugo dark blue) and i've worn others selfishly while knowing people i would be spending time with dislike the scent (paul smith story).

if jbl wants a cologne to improve his projection to girls, good for him. and honestly, that's a pretty tough order to fill - it's easy to find things that appeal to our own noses, but how to guess what a strangers tastes might be? maybe it's impossible, but our boy is giving it a shot. one persons 'character and sophistication' is anothers oxygen-sucking synthetic mess. it's so subjective, why judge?

i'm still a great beleiver in the old 'a scent is attractive to people if you can wear it comfortably and with confidence'.

ps:
    vera wang for men will get you laid, lolz

If i don't like how a fragrance smells, i'm not gonna wear it just to please someone else.

But that's just me.
    Last edited by knightowl; 21st October 2007 at 05:52 PM.
    keepin' it musky

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post

But that's just me.

i think that's the point: different people have different motivations in wearing cologne.
    Last edited by chad278; 21st October 2007 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chad278 View Post
    i think that's the point: different people have different motivations in wearing cologne.
    I have never disputed this, i simply made an observation.
    keepin' it musky

Does anyone know what department stores sell this?????

I'm 37 and find it funny when younger people say "Ugh, i'm so afraid of smelling like an old man." What they're really afraid of is being made fun of by their "friends" for wearing any fragrance that possesses some kind of character and sophistication...in other words being young, insecure and just wanting to blend in with the crowd.
    I wouldn't call myself young and insecure, but when it comes to RG, I have troubles trying to pull off wearing it. It doesn't really seem to fit me for various reasons (I'm 21). I do own a bottle but rarely wear it, and I enjoy this more then M7. For some reasons the drydown is a bit fluffy on my skin, I think it's either scattered or the note pyramid isn't very well structured. Though, I received a complicated once from my older brother, so I guess that's a good thing.

What they're really afraid of is being made fun of by their "friends" for wearing any fragrance that possesses some kind of character and sophistication...in other words being young, insecure and just wanting to blend in with the crowd.
    i just think that's a rather strong observation to make is all

time to sleep....

Quote Originally Posted by chad278 View Post
    i just think that's a rather strong observation to make is all

time to sleep....
    Rather strong? Absolutely...but still an observation.

Good night.
    keepin' it musky

I. Love. Cologne.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.