Code of Conduct

Default New Gendarme EDP?

For those who have tried this, is it the same as the original and just stronger or is it a completely different animal?

Default Re: New Gendarme EDP?

Where is the EDP available>?

Tried it today at Barneys - as I remember it's called either Sea, Blue or Ocean. It's an ozonic aquatic. Enough said!

Are you sure it wasn't Sky?

Gendarme EdeP is exactly the same as the EdeT, or whatever the strength/mixture was of the classic original. Strange, I somehow thought the EdeP would somehow be a tad different, but it isn't.

Let me clear up a bit of confusion if I can (or reveal my own in the process...). The original Gendarme was sold as an EDT or simply unspecified "Mens cologne", I guess, but was certainly EDP strength in terms of concentration.
    Gendarme Sky was released earlier this year, and was a new release. Also probably EDP strength. Not my favorite of his releases.
    The new release is a Parfum strength of the original. It is a deeper version of the same original EDP. I like it a bit more than the original because the herbal tones are more clear and the whole seems a bit less shrill to me. Maybe the leather/musk is a bit more pronounced. But they are pretty close - on paper they may be indistinguishable. But for anyone who has wished for Gendarme with a heavier presence and better longevity, give it a try. I got mine at my local Nordstrom last week. The bottle is great also, square with a big engraved G on the front.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    Let me clear up a bit of confusion if I can (or reveal my own in the process...). The original Gendarme was sold as an EDT or simply unspecified "Mens cologne", I guess, but was certainly EDP strength in terms of concentration . . . .

-Slim
    Slim,

It's important to note, as you do, that even though it is named a "cologne," the original Gendarme is at 12% perfume oils
    technically an EDP. I am not sure what the strength of the new EDP version is, but I would save my money and buy Gendarme Carrière EDP instead, which is the original Gendarme at twice the strength of 24% perfume oils (by founder of the Gendarme line Topper Schroeder's own admission). You can pick up a 4.0 oz bottle of Carrière EDP on eBay and even on some e-retailer sites for around $50.00. That's more than a 50% savings on the price of the new Gendarme EDP since it's pretty clear from the accounts of it thus far that the new Gendarme and Carrière EDP are really, minor differences notwithstanding, one and the same thing.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 21st October 2007 at 04:38 AM.

I am confussed did they not have Gendarme 20 which was a EDP that had 20% more oils then the original????

Now they just have Gendarme EDP...

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I am confussed did they not have Gendarme 20 which was a EDP that had 20% more oils then the original????

Now they just have Gendarme EDP...
    It's time to call in the gendarmes!

I am confused too. Also, A while ago I noticed they disappeared from Sephora and other stores, and it was hard for me to keep track of thir scents since then.

I was under the impression that Gendarme edp was a women's fragrance.

Not sure of the new Gendarme EDP concentration but as previously stated, the original although listed as a cologne is more like an edp with 12% oil. Also, as previously noted, Carierre is the exact same oil at a higher concentration, I believe it is actually 25% though, which by some standards would be a parfum. Carierre was originally formulated as a Gendarme EDP but somewhere along the way it morphed into a women's scent by the time it was launched (purely marketing and packaging). I suppose it was because so many women were already wearing Gendarme and this was an attempt to capture more of them. Now we have the Gendarme EDP. If I had to guess based on my knowledge, the Gendarme EDP probably falls somewhere between Carierre and the original Gendarme as far as concentration. You're really splitting hairs though and I'd just go with the original, the formula works the best at that concentration IMHO.

I believe Gendarme 20 has a noticeable lavendar note in it that isn't in the original. I bought Sky a few weeks ago and had to return it because the spray mechanism wasn't working. When I got to Nordies, their sample bottle spray was broke as well. I hope my new bottle doesn't have a problem, as I do like the scent quite a bit. Out of all of the Gendarmes, I seem to get the longest wear from Gendarme V.

You're right 20 does have lavender in it. I'm curious to see how people react to Sky. It is really a departure for Gendarme, as was Gendarme Green. If you like the original you'll probably like Carierre, the new EDP, 20, V, and possibly Grabazzi. They are all based the original. SKY and Green are not. Personally I like the original the best and some of the relatives, particularly 20.

I forgot Mojo. It is based on the original too, with added Patchouli. Not a favorite of mine.
    Last edited by The_Maestro; 10th November 2007 at 05:07 PM.

The original Gendarme was my first out of the main stream, department store scents. I really like it and still do. I did purchase G20 from a website but found it kind of weak. Maybe it was an old bottle. I did order sample vials directly from Gendarme(even spoke to Topper himself) but really didn't care for it. Love the bottle and the color of the juice though. Then I bought Gendarme EDP and found that I liked this one the most. It is deeper than the original, but remains clean or soapy but all in a good way. To me, it's what I would wish the original could be if I was to improve it in any way at all. As for Carriere, can't comment as I have never smelled it. Nor have I smell Green although I would like to sample it sometime. The Gendarme bar soap is pretty nice too. Oh yeah, I forgot about Mojo. Seems like a novelty, but I'm kind of intrigued by it.

Quote Originally Posted by FRAGFAN View Post
    Then I bought Gendarme EDP and found that I liked this one the most. It is deeper than the original, but remains clean or soapy but all in a good way. To me, it's what I would wish the original could be if I was to improve it in any way at all.

That was exactly the intent with the EDP. That is also exactly how Carriere was intenteded before it somehow morphed into a women's (it's just an EDP of Gendarme, albeit at 25% so it is very rich).

gendarme 20 is a perfect fragrance to blend with almost anything.....it has a straight forward, linear lavender smell(as if you just took out fresh laundry).....so if you want to add freshness to you or your clothes, Gendarme 20 is very useful......wearing it on its own(especially in the winter) has very limited sillage
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    gendarme 20 is a perfect fragrance to blend with almost anything.....it has a straight forward, linear lavender smell(as if you just took out fresh laundry).....so if you want to add freshness to you or your clothes, Gendarme 20 is very useful......wearing it on its own(especially in the winter) has very limited sillage

Agreed, and it's much nicer than Clean Laundry. In fact, I'm surprised that the resemblance of the Clean fragrances to Gendarme doesn't get mentioned more around here. I'm convinced they tried to clone Gendarme, although they aren't as good IMHO. Clean Ultimate is remarkably similar to Gendarme.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Maestro View Post
    Agreed, and it's much nicer than Clean Laundry. In fact, I'm surprised that the resemblance of the Clean fragrances to Gendarme doesn't get mentioned more around here. I'm convinced they tried to clone Gendarme, although they aren't as good IMHO. Clean Ultimate is remarkably similar to Gendarme.
    Gednarme 20 was ym first Gendarme purchase(and a blind purchase at that)....but i really enjoyed it and now want to try new Gendarmes.....recommendations needed.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Just buy the Nancy Boy Linen Water (Signature scent) for a cheaper, yet more interesting effect (the signature scent contains lavender and other essential oils):

http://www.nancyboy.com/product.php?...cat=255&page=1
    -

Gednarme 20 was ym first Gendarme purchase(and a blind purchase at that)....but i really enjoyed it and now want to try new Gendarmes.....recommendations needed.
    Well, you could just go with the inspiration for all Gendarme fragrances, the Original. Or better yet, try the new Gendarme EDP. It has pretty much the same character as the Original but lasts longer.

20 is probably the closest to the Original and the EDP, so I'm sure you'd like it.

I've owned and/or tried all of them, except Mojo, and this whole ordeal has been confusing, even to me.

I think we've got everything straightened out with this thread now, though.

I've got a bottle of Gendarme 20 available for sale right now, btw. I find it to be the same as the original, with the best lavender note I've ever smelled. I prefer it to the spicier Creed RSL. I don't need "20" and the original, though, I don't think.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Guys, I'm confused. Could anyone please make things clear to me? so the original is 12% concentration and this new EDP is something near 24% concentration which smells exactly the same as the original just projects and lasts longer?