Code of Conduct

Default SQWEEEEEEEEE!!!...... the wife returns baring gifts!

OK, I had to share... the Mrs just returned from the Ukraine minutes ago baring gifts!
    I asked her to choose something for me that wasnt readily available in Denmark... something she'd love to sniff on me!

Well, she produced from her bag a whopping great Hermés Eau d'Oranges Verte 200ml and shower gel (our beloved staples!).
    Then for a while she cruelly led me to believe that was it... until she produced another bag, and inside:

Rancé 1795 - "Le Vainqueur" for Men Eau de Parfum!!!

This marks the first time my eyes have fallen upon this scent and beautiful bottle, AND the first time I have owned an EDP for men!
    As for the scent itself, I dont think she could have chosen something more appropriate! It boasts geranium (my fave), iris, citrus, lavendar, nutmeg, jasmine and lily of the valley, ambergris, woods and musk.

I just had to share... and say DAMN I love my wife!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 21st October 2007 at 04:01 PM. Reason: amber becomes ambergris

Default Re: SQWEEEEEEEEE!!!...... the wife returns baring gifts!

You be very nice to her! My partner is going to Vienna and if I don't get something
    'sweet', then I'm going to very pissed!

dimitri, you haven't answered the most important question...

does she have a sister?

YES SHE DOES... shes hot and shes single... and she lives in Austria...
    Planning any trips to the continent Chad?

*swooning over my new smell*....

it's tempting! visit a hot girl in austria, take a side-trip to raid your cologne collection...

hey, when you were in perth, where did you source most of your scents from? online? i've got a great perfumery here in melbourne with a lot of stuff - about to go on a bit of a cdg binge, a few more demeter bits and peices to pick up - but i wouldn't mind getting one or two creeds, and perhaps test some montale.

Great to read this topic.

I always have a smile on my face when i see how people can he happy and passionate about perfume.

Enjoy Dimitri! We all wish to have such a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Rancé 1975 - "Le Vainqueur" for Men Eau de Parfum!!! I just had to share... and say DAMN I love my wife!!!
    Is it possible to clone her?
    Question, is Rancé 1975 based on a fragrance worn by Valéry Giscard d'Estaing?

Lol Ruggles!.... my bad... have edited typo

Congratulations!
    You are not your perfume.

Le Vainqueur sure sounds like the winner to me!

(pun very much intended)

You're a lucky man!

I may be mistaken, but doesn't LV remind you of a CK scent? I could be recalling the women's scent from Rance as well.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

As you know, one's perception of a scent is totally subjective. Though I dont find it in any way similar to a CK scent (God knows I have announced publically here that I am generally NOT a fan of the Kors/Klein/PDiddy/Hilfiger muck on the market), I do find it still relevant in todays fine-fragrance climate. Despite it being an alleged "revival" from the 1700's that is.
    *Inhales wrists deeply*...

Yasou, Dimitri,
    Good for you, that sounds great!!! It reminds me of the time I got my first really fancy perfume in the "big city".

I bet she'll be getting very lucky, very soon!

Well, congratulations to you! She sounds like an absolute treasure!
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Good for you-Good for you..:bounce: :bounce:

Fragrance on,

Otto

Basenotes Institution

Congrats Dmitri - successful blind buys that are good are like a 'double whammy' to fragrance freaks like us.

I've heard of the Rance - please describe it more...is it similar to anything you've smelled before? Good for fall/winter or also spring/summer? Longevity?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Mikeperez, Im heading out today with my first "official" wearing, though when I sprayed a small amount yesterday I was delighted.

In terms of if its like anything Ive smelled before, I could say it holds the same kind of olfactory memory for me as scents such as Penhaligon's Endymion or Quercus or even Paul Smith Extreme.
    But its more complex than any of these.
    The opening is citrus, but with the velvety texture of lavendar and a sting of green geranium accords. After a few moments spicy nutmeg emerges. At this point the "dryness" of its iris wood can be likened to Dior Pour Homme or even Hermés Hiris. This dryness is fleeting however as it takes a turn into a fine leather and light musk.

I will need to wear this all day to gain a full appreciation of how it changes, but I recall its transitions were many before I was left with its lovely basenotes.

Today the weather is 1 degree and Id say it is perfect. In a cosy/comforting way. However I can totally imagine in the warmer months, this scent flip-flopping and allowing its clean citrus accords to dominate.

As an EDP, yesterday I sampled at approximately 2pm, and by midnight (after showering I might add), I could still detect its scent on my wrist.

Will report back probably later tonight.

Dimitri, you lucky guy!. I Love to read threads like these.

Keep us posted about the Rance perfume, I've never heard about this line.
    Last edited by eric; 22nd October 2007 at 10:17 AM.

Never heard of it before (then again there's quite a few I would never have heard of.. lol), but sounds like a beautiful fragrance..
    Congrats Dimitri... =)
    In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds it's morning, and is refreshed. -Kahlil Gibran

Current Favourites: Mandarine by Il Profvmo, Sculpture Homme by Nikos

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Mikeperez, Im heading out today with my first "official" wearing, though when I sprayed a small amount yesterday I was delighted.

In terms of if its like anything Ive smelled before, I could say it holds the same kind of olfactory memory for me as scents such as Penhaligon's Endymion or Quercus or even Paul Smith Extreme.
    But its more complex than any of these.
    The opening is citrus, but with the velvety texture of lavendar and a sting of green geranium accords. After a few moments spicy nutmeg emerges. At this point the "dryness" of its iris wood can be likened to Dior Pour Homme or even Hermés Hiris. This dryness is fleeting however as it takes a turn into a fine leather and light musk.

I will need to wear this all day to gain a full appreciation of how it changes, but I recall its transitions were many before I was left with its lovely basenotes.

Today the weather is 1 degree and Id say it is perfect. In a cosy/comforting way. However I can totally imagine in the warmer months, this scent flip-flopping and allowing its clean citrus accords to dominate.

As an EDP, yesterday I sampled at approximately 2pm, and by midnight (after showering I might add), I could still detect its scent on my wrist.

Will report back probably later tonight.
    Sounds like you're enjoying it Dmitri.

Yes, the notes I'm finding about this sound positively spring/summer-esque - that's why I asked.

-- Jack Kerouac

The photograph is a nice extra and allows me to share your enthusiasm even more, Dimitri! On a recent stopover in Milano, I went by the Rancé boutique on Corso Magenta. Unfortunately, they were closed, and I had to leave empty handed. But I did admire their exceptionally beautiful bottles from the distance.
    It must have been in 1804 or later that a Francois Rancé created a cologne called ‘Le Vainqeur’ in Grasse. Although French troops had invaded Italy long before then, the title “Vainqueur” emanated after Napoleon Bonaparte had crowned himself as L’Empereur of the new L’Empire Francais, an empire that would soon comprise all of continental Europe, and include new Kingdoms for his numerous family members, as he marched towards Moscow where it all ended (1812 ).

Rancé seems to be a newer establishment located in Milano, and primarily engaged in cosmetics. I heard rumors of financial partners in the US. The recent Vainqueur Eau de Parfum (!) must also be new as it has a rather classical pyramid of fine ingredients:
    Identità Olfattiva: Fresco Fougere Legnoso
    Testa:
    Pompelmo, Bergamotto, Zenzero, Melone, Anguria, Mandarino Italia
    Cuore:
    Lavanda, Geranio, Mughetto, Noce Moscata, Gelsomino di Calabria
    Fondo:
    Bois de Santal, Vetyver, Iris di Firenze, Cuoio, Ambra, Muschio
    (source: Italian Academy of Perfume).

More than likely BN has classified this EDP as feminine. According to someones judgement I can rely on, V. may resemble Beyond Paradise, men. I am curious what your final verdict may be.
    Last edited by narcus; 24th October 2007 at 10:49 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    According to someones judgement I can rely on, V. may resemble Beyond Paradise, men. I am curious what your final verdict may be.
    Yes I heard this too narcus...which is not necessarily a bad thing to me, I think Beyond Paradise for Men (Lauder) is great.

-- Jack Kerouac

Thanks for the comments y'all!
    Ive worn this scent now for several days, so here are my impressions...

I must admit BP was never a favourite of mine, and thus I cant really make a connection with the two being similar.
    Each time I spray it, its opening notes remind me instantly of Paul Smith Extreme (striped bottle). It has very similar fresh herbaceous and citrus accords when first applied. Ive also previously mentioned the "dryness" at LV's heart being somewhat akin to Dior Homme or Hermés Hiris. I wouldnt describe it as a vaccuous dryness, but it is ever-present, even in the drydown. Again, I can compare to Smith's Extreme which also exhudes a dry (almost sea-salt and driftwood) kind of accord.
    Its velvet-like quality is akin to Penhaligon's Endymion. There is a soft creaminess that brings the scent much character.

It is similar to all of these fince scents, and yet it has something more. I cant quite put my finger on it. I find it a delight to wear, and the other day at work a colleague commented on my "strong perfume" at around 4pm - almost 8 hours after applying it lightly. This both surprised, and pleased me. The EDP concentration lives up to its name, though while it doesnt project a lot, I find its longevity fantastic.
    I can only imagine the BN listing as a female fragrance was merely an oversight whilst submitting the information to the directory (probably due to the EDP concentration and non-gender-specific name). Then again, there should be no reason why this could not be worn by women as well.

I would say if anyone wanted a scent that brings a sense of comfort, but in a refined and understated manner, this is definitely one to try. The bottle and packaging are beautiful too. I will be looking into Rancés other fragrances in their portfolio as a result of my experience with this one.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 25th October 2007 at 06:18 AM.