Code of Conduct

Default Warm and spicy, like CdG EdP?

Hi all.

Here in the north of the UK, there is, at last, a brisk tang in the air as winter knocks on the door. It's made me realise that there's one fragrance type missing from my modest wardrobe - a warm, spicy, christmassy scent ideal for such weather, full to the brim with cloves, cinnamon, booze-steeped fruit. Those sorts of accords.

The closest I've encountered so far is my sample of Comme des Garcons EdP, but before I splash out on the full tactile bottle, are there any alternatives I should be aware of?

Thanks
    Last edited by simisker; 22nd October 2007 at 05:38 AM.

Default Re: Warm and spicy, like CdG EdP?

Just get CdG EdP, it's the best in its genre.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Diptyque's L'Eau is another, and as it dries down the dry rose pedals become more prominent, along with some musk, but the clove never disappears.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I second TIGRUSHKA! Get it... you can't go wrong! And if you find something else you like better you can just sell me your CdG I can't get enough! There might be some others out there that are similar but there is an addictive rhapsodic quality to the CdG's spices that I haven't felt in other spicy fragrances. (And everyone needs one of those cool bottles in his or her collection )
    Last edited by nthny; 22nd October 2007 at 06:07 AM.

I know I speak of it a lot, but now Penhaligons LOVE POTION NO. 9 for men (sadly discontinued) might have been just the ticket!
    It has a boozy "scotch and ginger ale"-like accord which screams of a "cool yule"!
    Its brimming with clove and its a scent I adore. If you can get your hands on a bottle before they dissappear comletely... this could be the one!
    Youre a Brit... go to it man!!!

Why would you need anything else if you discovered and liked CDG EDP?
    I don't think there is anything very similar. So get is, as others say.

Warm and spicy should definitely have a place for Annick Goutal Sables. I think it's perfect for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    Warm and spicy should definitely have a place for Annick Goutal Sables. I think it's perfect for the winter.
    Love Sables, but find it more "treacly" than spicy. A wonderful winter warmer it is, though.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

The original CdG EdP is fab, use it! If you think it is too much a wild animal, try on some Hôtel Costes EdT. Almost the same spicy opening, but more muted and well-behaved in the end phase.

Lorenzo Villoresi Spezie , has that same poutpoury thing going on. That said, I'd stick with the CdG. I don't love everything they made, but I have to admit, I got a sample of this one and I rather liked it.
    Last edited by eric; 22nd October 2007 at 01:24 PM.

Kind of suprised that no one has mentioned Piper Nigrum (Villoresi). I think it has very much in common with CdG`s EdP.

Apart from that, if the one is looking for spicy, warm christmassy scent with the respectful touch of vintage boozyness (=a complex, delicious selection of dried fruits), there is not anything better than Arabie by Serge Lutens. It`s the ultimate choice.

I am also one who has no regrets in having acquired CdG's EDP. It is as close to unique as I've experienced. But if you're really keen to evaluate if this is the one, you've received some excellent alternative suggestions here, especially Arabie. In this same category I would also put Caron's Poivre parfum extrait.While probably not as complex as CdG EDP, Poivre is every bit as spicy, hot, and seductive. Like CdG EDP, Poivre is perfect for cool/cold weather.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    Apart from that, if the one is looking for spicy, warm christmassy scent with the respectful touch of vintage boozyness (=a complex, delicious selection of dried fruits), there is not anything better than Arabie by Serge Lutens. It`s the ultimate choice.
    Ditto

I will add another: Secret Melange by MPG
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions and opinions. I knew that CdG EdP was highly regarded, but I wasn't quite aware of how unique it was!

Your combined input pushed me over the impulse purchase cliff - I've just this minute won an Ebay auction for a 50ml bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I know I speak of it a lot, but now Penhaligons LOVE POTION NO. 9 for men (sadly discontinued) might have been just the ticket!
    It has a boozy "scotch and ginger ale"-like accord which screams of a "cool yule"!
    Its brimming with clove and its a scent I adore. If you can get your hands on a bottle before they dissappear comletely... this could be the one!
    Youre a Brit... go to it man!!!
    Heh - now this is a wonderful and spooky coincidence! Yesterday, I won an auction for the Penhaligons Scent Library sample set, which I am now delighted to discover includes LP No.9 For Men. Result! Thanks for the recommendation, Dmitri - it sounds intriguing; can't wait to sample it.

Arabie must be one of the few Lutens fragrances to escape my curiosity; not for much longer, judging by your recommendations, PM and mike. This also seems like a good time to start exploring the houses of Villoresi, Caron and Goutal...

All told, it looks like this gap in my wardrobe is going to be well and truly filled in the next few months. Thanks again, all

Congrats! Way to go, simisker

L'Anarchiste comes to mind.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by simisker View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions and opinions. I knew that CdG EdP was highly regarded, but I wasn't quite aware of how unique it was!

Your combined input pushed me over the impulse purchase cliff - I've just this minute won an Ebay auction for a 50ml bottle
    Interested to hear how you like the CdG EdP simisker. Care to comment?

Post Re: Warm and spicy, like CdG EdP?

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Love Sables, but find it more "treacly" than spicy. A wonderful winter warmer it is, though.
    I love this fragrance too! It's warming when it's cold out, and I don't think anybody could ever find this in any way offensive. One of my Winter time favorites. Now please what the hell does treacly mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    ... Now please what the hell does treacly mean?
    heavily sweet and cloying (Merriam-Webster)
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Interested to hear how you like the CdG EdP simisker. Care to comment?
    Now that I've lived with it a while, I'd be glad to - just allow me to briefly divert the flow away for a moment, and mention that Dimitri was spot on with his Penhaligon's LP No 9 For Men allusion to 'scotch and ginger ale'; certainly an intriguing fragrance worth considering if it weren't so hard to come by.

Back to the topic at hand, then: Comme des Garcons' Eau de Parfum.

As I was saying to my girlfriend the other night, every aspect of this scent - from the packaging design through to the liquid itself - illustrates that this was a fashion house who wanted to be taken seriously with their first foray into perfumery; the whole simply screams quality. The confident minimalism of the box design, the wry modern industrialism of the inner vacuum wrap, and the bottle...

I've read here more than once of owners who bemoan the fact that the bottle, unlike pretty much every other perfume bottle, doesn't stand up. I think they're missing the point. This is not a bottle meant for the shelf or dressing table, to be placed among all the other bottles thrusting vertically into your eyeline to attract attention ["Choose me! Choose ME!!"]. This is a bottle meant for the hand; to be felt, touched, held. Holding it in the hand [admittedly the right hand; us southpaws have to go 'northpaw' for full effect], the 50ml flacon feels like it has been there since birth; the curved side nestles snugly in the palm, and the atomizer is perfectly positioned for the index finger. As a designer, I marvel at this triumph of ergonomics.

As you can probably tell, my first impressions were good But what of the perfume itself?

Well, I asked for warm and spicy, and boy, did I get it.

Bear in mind that I've only been a serious perfume hound for a couple of years, so my note encyclopaedia is far from complete, but there's clove, cinnamon, nutmeg and who knows what else right from the start. Something that my original sample didn't reveal was what I can only describe as a 'pickled' top note; I'm guessing that this, along with the clove, is what people are referring to as 'medicinal'. I have to confess that it's this pickled note that stops me from loving this fragrance. Once the drydown begins in earnest, however, its glorious spice-in-harmony heartnote balance shines, and lasts for many an hour. It's never garnered many comments from those around me, though, which is odd considering the strength and projection [and my liberal applications!]. Perhaps this is because it's so unlike conventional perfumes that onsmellers don't know what to make of it. Or perhaps it's because there's absolutely no sweetness to this scent at all. I can only guess.

Don't get me wrong: I consider EdP to be a brilliant scent, and the epitome of the CdG ethos: It's bold, excellently executed, admirable, quirky, avant-garde and determinedly individualistic. It's served me well so far this season, despite worthy winter contenders like Musc Ravageur, Ambre Sultan, Jaisalmer and L'Air du Desert Marocain. To mention it in the same breath as these fragrances is surely testament to its quality. I've noticed that the colder the weather, the more I appreciate it. But it's that damn pickled note which stops me from reaching for it daily. Heh, so far, anyway - I think we're all acquainted with the U-turn effect, right?

Yet again I'd like to thank those of you that convinced me to buy a bottle

Incidentally, Mike, I know you were curious about 8 88, the newest CdG that I've just sampled this evening. Well... you know how CdG's first effort was the brave unique scent-statement? This latest one, erm, well... isn't. My early opinion: fresh, fruity, slightly floral, fleeting. I get grapefruit up in the top, and possibly angelica further down, but that's all so far [EDIT: ... and I'm wrong on both counts, looking at the pyramid. Though if there's amber in 8 88, I'll eat my freshly-bought hat]. Certainly not in the same league as the CdG classics; it's all gone a bit safe, recently
    Last edited by simisker; 21st December 2007 at 09:15 PM.

I have a question to add to this thread, if you gents don't mind?
    I'm of the female persuasion and have a bottle of CdG edp on my ebay watchlist at the moment. it sounds delicious from the note description and the reviews. I would probably bid without hesitation apart from one concern: aftershaveyness.
    Now call me a wuss, but there's a certain accord or something that I just haven't been able to get past in wearing men's scents. Not all of them have it, but enough of them to make me wary. Gaultier2 sounded heavenly - amber and vanilla? what's not to like? Well, something, because it doesn't work for me. It smells like men. (I'm sorry - I've tried to put my finger on the problem and can't come up with anything. I've worked out that I loathe oakmoss but other than that I have no idea.)

I'm not a frilly frou-frou girl - I love Bandit, Jicky, Black Cashmere and Creed's Acier Aluminium and Royal English Leather and I pinch my hubby's Guerlain Vetiver - but some male frags are just too... butch for me.

Please tell me this isn't one of them.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    I have a question to add to this thread, if you gents don't mind?
    I'm of the female persuasion and have a bottle of CdG edp on my ebay watchlist at the moment. it sounds delicious from the note description and the reviews. I would probably bid without hesitation apart from one concern: aftershaveyness.
    Now call me a wuss, but there's a certain accord or something that I just haven't been able to get past in wearing men's scents. Not all of them have it, but enough of them to make me wary. Gaultier2 sounded heavenly - amber and vanilla? what's not to like? Well, something, because it doesn't work for me. It smells like men. (I'm sorry - I've tried to put my finger on the problem and can't come up with anything. I've worked out that I loathe oakmoss but other than that I have no idea.)

I'm not a frilly frou-frou girl - I love Bandit, Jicky, Black Cashmere and Creed's Acier Aluminium and Royal English Leather and I pinch my hubby's Guerlain Vetiver - but some male frags are just too... butch for me.

Please tell me this isn't one of them.
    I don't think this smells 'aftershavey' or 'butch' at all - CdG scents overall tend to be unisex smelling (or asexual, if you will) and CdG EdP just smells spicy and...well, weird. Which is why I love it. I would be very surprised if you thought this smelled like a man - seeing as in my experience CdG EdP is loved and worn by more women then it is men.

To answer the original question:
    Egoiste (Chanel). The original...to me this is the scent of luxury and holidays.
    Opium PH (YSL)
    Jaipur (Bucheron)
    Nemo (Cacharel)
    Visit (Azzaro)
    Your could also go for chocolate gourmands like Hanae Mori or Animale Animale.

And Wordbird, your assessment of CdG is interesting to me because I always felt it's unisex but a bit on the feminine side (same for G2). I feel the same about CdG2 but can't resist it anyway...
    RM

OK Mikeperez - I'm going to bid. Just because I trust you.
    If the worst come to the worst I can always swap it - sounds like there'd be a few eager takers on this board!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I have CdG edp, but wear it seldom. The rose in the drydown can turn me off to it.
    I think Catalyst (Halston) can work as a very cheap substitute. Not the dark, hot spiciness of CdG, but spicey in it's own right. Of the two, I think CdG epd is more natural smelling.

S

If the worst come to the worst I can always swap it - sounds like there'd be a few eager takers on this board!
    Trust him... and you'd have a swap taker RIGHT HERE!!! I can't get enough, but I've only got a sample...

Basenotes Institution

Good luck - please report back Ms. Bird.

Warm n spicy at a low price try Azzaro Visit, it may just work

costes

Basenotes Institution

I've been wearing CdG EdP for the past few days a lot (from my new bottle). I've noticed some similarities to Sequoia (Red Series) also by CdG.

Wordbird - did you end up getting the CdG EdP, and if so how is it working for you?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac