Code of Conduct

Default Trade/Sell only to repurchase later?

Have you ever sold or swapped something you later craved and repurchased? I swapped away Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte a while back (and love what I swapped it for though!), and recently have been craving it... so I had to purchase it again Luckily, it's not a terribly expensive purchase (this time I got it on ebay.. the first time it was from Sephora)
    Has this every happened to you?
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Default Re: Trade/Sell only to repurchase later?

Yes. I wish I'd never gotten rid of my Opium Eau d'Orient pour Homme.
    Thrax now has my Villoresi Incensi, but that doesn't bother me, as I know how much he's enjoying it.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 22nd October 2007 at 07:14 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Off-Scenter

I did this with Ambre Sultan at one point, and I sometimes still regret having let go of Parfum d'Habit.

Blog Entries

I don't regret selling my Creed OV to thenmarcher...but I'm thinkin' about picking some more up sometime.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Nah - usually I hem and haw about selling or swapping something that I don't use much, just in case I might want to use it all of a sudden - but really once they're gone they're forgotten as I only sell what I really don't use or appreciate much anymore. I've gotten rid of a ton of designer stuff, and many cheaply bought used or tester creeds that didn't work for me, and sold and swapped them for all this amazing lutens and Montale stuff so that at this point I feel like my collection is getting too big, in that I adore most of my fragrances and there aren't enough days in the year to really get into them all!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

I don't regret CJ giving me OV either...

However, I wish I would have kept my bottle of REL and Vettiveru.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I gifted my Angel, which I had a love and hate relationship anyway with , and so some days I am glad to be rid of it and other days I get a little wistful...

The fact that it is SO recognizable and can be so prevalent is one reason I haven't repurchased .......................yet, anyway
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I gifted my Angel, which I had a love and hate relationship anyway with , and so some days I am glad to be rid of it and other days I get a little wistful...

The fact that it is SO recognizable and can be so prevalent is one reason I haven't repurchased .......................yet, anyway
    That's pretty much the reason I repurchased the EdOV. I had a bunch of memories associated with it and wanted to smell it again. It was my first purchase once I moved to Florida and wore it a lot in my first couple months. And I got a 6 piece set for $14 (INCLUDING shipping) that had everything from foam bath and soap to the cologne.. I couldn't say no It sure beat the initial retail price purchase and the extras will be a nice addition!
    Last edited by jrd4t; 23rd October 2007 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    That's pretty much the reason I repurchased the EdOV. I had a bunch of memories associated with it and wanted to smell it again. It was my first purchase once I moved to Florida and wore it a lot in my first couple months. And I got a 6 piece set for $14 (INCLUDING shipping) that had everything from foam bath and soap to the cologne.. I couldn't say no It sure beat the initial retail price purchase and the extras will be a nice addition!
    isn't if funny how one can have a relationship with a scent, almost like you have a relationship with a person? I guess that's why we're all here, eh? the glorious obsession of it all
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

heh, love your avatar rtamara

When I trade something I am usually thrilled to see the end of it, and rarely replace it. Overall, I don't do too many deals with scents and have yet to sell one...although, I am toying with the idea of unloading some discontinued frags of which I have spares.

I swapped away Acier Aluminium, but after trying Musc Ravageur I thought I'd give AA another go, so I bought another bottle

I'll probably swap it again soon though (Tea for Two, anyone?)

Hey Colin, want a sample for sample? I want to give AA a full wear and have some tasty Tea for Two to entice!

I swapped away Black (Bvlgari) early in my career and swapped for it later, it is the only scent I've had that experience with. It's too unique to be without, imo.

Mugler Cologne (needed to include this in a multi-bottle trade to make it happen)

Helmut Lang Cuiron (even though I still can't wrap my mind around this fragrance oddity!)

Penhaligon's Castile (HUGE mistake! went most of the summer without this awesome scent )
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Too many to mention...one i did get back though is Iquitos. It was a very happy reunion!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

It is no secret here that I tried and tried to love Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

I finally gave up and traded it away four months ago.

I was more than a little surprised when a sample of Rive Gauche PH captivated me earlier today.

I just had to bring the prodigal son home with me!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

My experience, for the most part, is, if I didn't like it the first time, and got rid of it, I was correct. Whenever I bought it again, it was another sad affair. It's just like life, you can't recast what you've already experienced negatively in a new light. Just move on.

Blog Entries

John Varvatos. Man I loved that one. However, I couldn't picture myself wearing it more often because of how sophisticated it smells since I'm more of a casual guy. Then I realized, well, it doesn't matter, I'll get used to it if I wore it more often then it'll seem normal to me. Go fig. Also, it isn't quite selling, but I do sorta regret giving away my large decant of TM Cologne. However, my friend was looking for his first cologne and he wanted something clean, I couldn't have given him a more perfect scent. Homeboy loves TM Cologne.

I got a bottle of a tiny bit of Tea for Two and since then I have bought 2 bottles. I have also sold my Gucci Envy and I wish I didn't. I want it back!! Unfortunately I can't do that so I guess I just have to live with my mistakes and move on. I'll get it eventually...

Basenotes Institution

Last year I sold mini bottles of Odeur 53 and Odeur 71 by Comme des Garcons. I just bought some this week - I was missing them.

Last year I blind bought Lalique Lion EDT. Reaction to first sniff was my goodness, this smells ancient. So I sold it to a colleague. On him it smelled great, but he said he couldn't take to it. He wanted me to take it back, which I did. I gave it a full wearing, which he picked up on me and wanted to know what I was wearing. I told him and he wanted 'his' Lalique back. I refused and have been wearing it ever since, on and off, with great response from the ladies.

oh, no, that's NEVER happened to MOI

(there should be an emoticon for "fingers crossed")

Definitely--Habit Rouge. Just got another one from Schachman

I've done this with Givenchy Gentleman. I have such a love/hate relationship with that stuff.

Just did this with CDG2 Man. Sold it several months ago, and missed it alot. Got a new bottle today.

Sold my Penhaligon's LP No. 9 a few years ago and now I regret it ... especially that it's been discontinued.

Hopefully those rumors are true that they're bringing it back.

Yes, several times. Varvatos, Opium, MPG Santal Noble, Merchant Loup and Tam Dao. Especially the Tam Dao.....wtf was I thinking.
    - Ben -

Top Five:
    Creed Royal Oud; Byredo Black Saffron; Etro Etra; Creed Aventus; Xerjoff Nio

eBay: mississippi_rifleman
    Twitter: Cigar_Ben

Wardrobe

Stogie Review

I bought B*Men before that came without the rubber flask so the sprays were really powerful when compared to ones with the rubber flask. The smell became cloying to me and it got on my nerves so I returned it. I decided to give B*Men another try and this time with the rubber flask and the sprays are more controlled in the rubber flask. This is a nice one but you have to go easy on the sprayer to make sure not to overspray.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    I don't regret selling my Creed OV to thenmarcher...but I'm thinkin' about picking some more up sometime.
    Hehe, I still enjoy it to this day!

TNMA

I have two:

CdG Vettiveru
    Tuscany Forte (I truly regret letting this one go)

TNMA

Basenotes Plus

Allure Homme, Bulgari Black and Lolita Lempicka au Masculin. I tried to narrow down my collection and went too far...
    I love cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Just did this with CDG2 Man. Sold it several months ago, and missed it alot. Got a new bottle today.
    Barry, you think I would like this one?

Well, bought and sold GIT a few times, twice this summer, but am giving up on it since something in it now smells rancid on me. Had MI last year but Wife insisted I get another bottle, which I did.

Idole, had, sold and now think I want it back.
    Black Aoud, found a great deal, wore it once and sold it, and just the other day bought another bottle since my search for a rose fragrance is petering. If not Black Aoud, then Paestum Rose.

Only one is Everlast Original 1910, but I got it at a great price both times, so it wasn't a big deal. Chanlder Burr was right on target with his highly rated review of this one.

I have done this with Armani Mania and Aqua di Gio. I have them again and plan to keep them this time.