Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your Current Holy Grails and Why?

I have a vast number of fragrances but I only list my Holy Grails or close to it in my wardrobe. Here are my current thoughts about my collection and please share yours!

-Black Aoud: The intensive, deeply satisfying fragrance I own. Great for a mood or romantic use.

-Encens et Lavende: The best lavender and inscense available. Great for meditation, thought, and comfort.

-GIT, Kiton Men, and Aspen: These smell wonderful and get you through the day at the office.

-Mugler Colonge: Great for a pick-me-up and is very suitable for which it was designed; to wear to the gym.

-Paul Smith Story: This is also great for office and gym.

-Terre D'Hermes: This satisfies my need for that peppery fresh fragrance and to my nose, is more like a modern version of polo green. This is one that needs to be in every collection.

-Jazz: ahhh, good ole jazz. This is for when you want to be professional in a mysterious kinda way. This is an old school classic worthy of modern times.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Your Current Holy Grails and Why?

Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver - woodsy, fall manliness in a bottle.
    Dzing! - comforting smell of animals.
    Passage d'Enfer - my favorite incense.
    Yerbamate - my favorite green as well as my favorite tea scent.

Bois de Portugal (and its kissing cousin, New York): boardroom confidence bottled

Musc Ravageur, Kouros and Chergui: Sex bottled. Raw, inspired, hot and heavy sex.

JHL, Fou d'Absinthe, Heritage and Bois d'Ombrie: Autumnal comfort and masculinity bottled

Bogart pour Homme: Not really a Holy Grail, but damn close, if only in the bargain department. One of the few chocolate-y frags I've ever liked, and VERY sexy, to boot, with tons of patchouli.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 23rd October 2007 at 03:17 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Creed - Vanisia - My "Ivory Soap" clean scent.
    Lutens - Chergui - My "down and dirty" scent.
    Miller Harris - Tangerine Vert - My "everyday is a summer day" scent.
    I wonder what would happen if a sprayed them all on together?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 22nd October 2007 at 09:21 PM.

Bel Ami - Great for romantic evenings. I use this one a lot when I'm out with women and have had some awesome times with it. I don't particuarly attribute it to the frag, but it's one of the reasons I like it.

Yatagan - Casual masculinity. No feminine notes, no nonsense, just a balls to the wall, hairy chested alpha male. Smells unlike most frags you find worn today, definitely stands out.

Cumming - Drinking single malt in a cigar bar. Weirdest frag I own, but I love it for that.

Gentleman, Andron - Magnetism and sex appeal

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    You'd smell like a French whore eating tangerines in the tub.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 22nd October 2007 at 09:26 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL. 3 holy grail's at once? You might explode!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

JHL....I love the cinnamon in this...Makes me feel like the holidays, my favourite time of the year.

Havana...Oh..it took me a while to finally get this classic...so Yummy..Oh yes...It just magnifies Class. I love the notes from beginning to end. On the lookout for Reserva now.

Van Cleef and Arpels... Yeah I know many put this in the 'mature/old' men catagory but I love this for wearing on special occasions. I feel wealthy when I wear it.

Narciso Rodriguez...My new Fav smellie. I wore this to a posh function the other night and it summoned praise and accolades. The Violet, Patchouli, Amber and Musk work well for me on my skin.

Tom Ford For Men Extreme......HA HA HA...I don't even own this yet but I KNOW this will be a Holy Grail....:bounce: :bounce::bounce:

There are others but that's what comes to mind right now.

Fragrance On,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 22nd October 2007 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    You'd smell like a French whore eating tangerines in the tub.
    this would go well with my reading Collette kick!
    --------------------------------------
    Last edited by rtamara41; 22nd October 2007 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    this would go well with my reading Collette kick!
    I hope you've got Le Pur and l'impur on your Colette list - along with Chéri, the best of her books, and the one most relevant to French whores, tangerines, and bathtubs.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

Post Thanks / Like

used to be varvatos
    now its chanel egoiste...i have a small decant i have been nursing, but its my new holy grail...hopefully santa claus is a basenoter.

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    used to be varvatos
    now its chanel egoiste...i have a small decant i have been nursing, but its my new holy grail...hopefully santa claus is a basenoter.
    You never know.....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Hey everybody update your wishlist...........

Fragrance On,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 22nd October 2007 at 09:50 PM.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin

Its Clean Fresh Sweet Dirty Strong All In One.
    Favorites

Creed- Windsor
    Serge Lutens- Chergui
    Creed- GIT
    Lolita Lempica Au Masculin
    Ysl M7
    Ysl L'Homme
    Creed-Aventus
    Hermes- Un Jardin de Meditaranee
    Chanel Egoiste
    Egyptian Goddess
    Serge Lutens- Arabie

My present Holy Grail is a perfumer. I love what Jean Claude Ellena does with citrus. He makes it salty and makes it smell reminiscent of clean and sweaty human skin. That to me is amazing...
    Last edited by nthny; 23rd October 2007 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sshak13 View Post
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin

Its Clean Fresh Sweet Dirty Strong All In One.
    I have a sample of au masculine. I have wanted to love it for so long even though vanilla is totally not my thing. I can't help but think au masculine is nothing but le male with anise in the top note. Am I wrong? What am I missing? I do like it. However, if I had to buy a fragrance with vanilla in it, it would be santal noble.

let's just say my October Holy Grail has been Chanel no. 5...all three of them!
    It has been such a neat experience to discover a fragrance in a new way that totally broke my concepts about it.
    My eyes were opened and I experienced no 5 as a round perfect thing, floral and animalic at the same time, a delicate balance between elegant and earthy. just loved that...how it covers all that area in a single blended seamless manner.
    Luca Turin referred to the creation of no 5 as a historical move in fragrance from realism to abstract. and it's neat that I can see that. Like Modern Art. pretty cool experience.
    my other Holy Grails have been more emotional, sensual or even sexual.
    This one is more cerebral.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 23rd October 2007 at 02:41 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not into "holy grails"
    Last edited by pluran; 7th March 2008 at 11:18 PM.

Czech&Speake no.88-I feel like I am passing by a semetary on a dark,cold and rainy late fall night(I like the feeling)
    Arabie-I feel like watching a favourite movie with my family in a cosy surrounding
    Fumerie Turque-I feel like smoking nargile with my friends and eating a dessert at the same time
    Ungaro I-Makes me feel like the sexiest guy in the world
    L'air du desert Marocain-no reason,just love it

Quote Originally Posted by fragrancalmeditation View Post
    Fumerie Turque-I feel like smoking nargile with my friends and eating a dessert at the same time
    I was in Turkey the summer before last for a month with my parents sightseeing. Loved it and smoked A LOT of narguile of course!

Post Thanks / Like

LV Uomo
    Creed Cypres Musc
    Creed Cuir de Russie
    SL MKK
    Badger & Blade cologne(custom made sandalwood,awesome)
    Profumum Antico Caruso
    Profumum Thundra
    Last edited by giannis; 23rd October 2007 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Creek View Post
    I hope you've got Le Pur and l'impur on your Colette list - along with Chéri, the best of her books, and the one most relevant to French whores, tangerines, and bathtubs.
    I have the first, but can't find the latter ... yet. Our local bookstores and libraries are Collette poor!
    Prolly have to go into the city for it.
    It sounds like I need to get my hands on that one, too. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 23rd October 2007 at 12:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Givenchy Pi

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Even the notion of the term "Holy Grail" when speaking of fragrance is somewhat sacred! What could possibly be good enough to attain such acclaim?!?

Well those that rank close are those scents I can never imagine being without:

Pick-me-ups:
    Eau d'Orange Verte - Hermés
    Mugler Cologne

Serious business:
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    Penhaligons Love Potion No.9

Contender (that Im still getting to know):
    Le Vainqueur - Rancé 1795
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 23rd October 2007 at 05:21 PM.

I like a lot of fragrances tremendously, but the only one I'd consider a Holy Grail is Parfums de Nicolai New York. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it really moves me. It smells like old Hollywood jazz music. Santa Maria Novella "Muschio" comes very close to an HG as well.

As much as I love commercial perfumes, the one fragrance I'd choose above all others is premium quality Indian sandalwood oil, the kind that you can barely get in the West anymore. A little of that dabbed on the chest is practically euphoric to me. It works with my chemistry better than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Vainqueur - Rancé 1795[/COLOR][/B]
    Where do you buy this one, Dimitri?
    Rancé frags are, it seems, almost impossible to find here in the U.S.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

www.theperfumehouse.com

Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding of a holy grail, it is meant to be THE one.

Its something that should take years of searching to discover. And only one should exist.
    A scent that when you find it you dont really need to buy another perfume ever again.
    You may discover and change many faves along the way.

I think I have my HG.

KOUROS

When I wear it I know there are thousands of undiscovered frags for me out there, but I cant imagine any coming anywhere near this. Im currently dabbling with niches but for all their quality and artistry, they absolutely pale in comparison to Kouros.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rompip View Post

Its something that should take years of searching to discover. And only one should exist.
    A scent that when you find it you dont really need to buy another perfume ever again.

I think I have my HG.

KOUROS

When I wear it I know there are thousands of undiscovered frags for me out there, but I cant imagine any coming anywhere near this. Im currently dabbling with niches but for all their quality and artistry, they absolutely pale in comparison to Kouros.

i think that you have a very valid point here....however, i think i will always enjoy smelling a couple others every now and then...but im with you...this is how i feel with egoiste, i cant wait to get a bottle because i love it more than anything so far that i have smelled out there, but a little variance never hurt anyone!

Pi by Givenchy

Perry Ellis 360 White

212 Men

Minotaure & Roma ( Thanks Mario Justiniani)

I've yet to decide but I have an attachment to Claibourne Sport.
    I'm so fo sho' it's no facade/ Stay out of trouble momma said as momma sighed/ For her fear her youngest son be a victim of homicide/ But I gotta get you out of here momma.. Or I'm gonna die..Inside...So either eay you lose me momma/ So let loose of me!

Post Thanks / Like

Ralph by Ralph Lauren and Acqua di Parma's Blu Mediterraneo Arancia di Capri just makes the day better for me..

Armani Code & Joop Go! for evening/night...

In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds it's morning, and is refreshed. -Kahlil Gibran

Current Favourites: Mandarine by Il Profvmo, Sculpture Homme by Nikos

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Tvlampboy, it was brought to me from the Ukraine when my wife recently visited there.
    I must use it sparingly because there are no stockists within like a TRILLION miles of Denmark
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 24th October 2007 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rompip View Post

I think I have my HG.

KOUROS

Great post.

This is how i feel about Trumper's Sandalwood. There's so many others out there that i haven't tried, and will never get the chance to try...but for now i feel very comfortable saying this is my HG.

And yes, Kouros is a great one.
    Last edited by knightowl; 24th October 2007 at 12:15 PM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

After careful consideration, I have arrived and the answer for THE ONE. I like the previous defintion given and agree that Holy Grail can mean only one. Sorta like a monotheism ideology. The answer for me is none other than:

Kiton Men

I am madly in love with this fragrance. I will do a formal review of it at some point but the awesome green smell as if it were wafted from a cold, wet stone is unmatchable! It is perfect for anytime, anywhere, with rhyme or reason, without rhyme or reason, you name it and it fits!

Ah, no contest here:

Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Hallelujah by Jesu de Lacroix

Adding Jicky. What can I say? As my boyfriend put it, it's squirrelly and voluptuous.
    Some may argue the squirrelly point, but the voluptuousness is undeniable.
    The lemony notes keep it elevated at the same time.
    Just a marvelous easy to wear comforting frag, that I catch whiffs of throughout the day and can snuggle into....great longevity, not loud, but with a definite presence.
    It makes me happy.
    Plus it has a neat history. How good can it get?
    Last edited by rtamara41; 31st October 2007 at 11:40 AM.

My current Holy Grails are not niche fragrances. They just happen to be the ones I love and reach for the most....and there's a huge price range. My current ones include:

Halston Unbound, Cafe Cafe by Cofinluxe, Preferred Stock & Aspen (Nice fragrances because they're subtle enough for office wear and offend very few if not overapplied).

Perry Ellis 360 Degrees White (a better version of Le Male for CHEAP)

Cuba Gold (not as good, but even cheaper than 360 White)

Gaultier2 (So very sweet and romantic)

Tabac Original (Lovely, inoffensive, clean without being generic)

Ungaro III (Beautiful, dark, romantic fragrance--count Dracula bottled)

Quorum (Balls out slap in the face. Not a wimp like so many newer fragrances)

Ralph Lauren Chaps (Same reason as Quorum)

Polo Green (Love it or hate it--still an original and still a classic)
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Post Thanks / Like

I've been puzzled by perfumers trying to create juices / notes smelling like human skin. What's the need? Everyone has a skin - just smell yourself and off you go... ; - )

Last edited by eric; 17th November 2007 at 02:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

SMN's Potpourri is my fav and best. Others might not like it, but it's timeless, old, and dynamic. It truly changes throughout the day. And not everyone knows what it is nor likes it (but I do!).

Lately I've added two more frags to my pantheon of "Holy Grails":
    Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur and West Side by Bond #9.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I have to admit that every scent in my current wardrobe is very much a holy grail scent, but for different reasons. I've reached the point where they all have to equally appeal to me. That's probably why my wardrobe is as small as it is - anything else that seemed inferior to these babies were shortly disposed of.

Post Thanks / Like

Im thinking Tauer's L'Air du Desert Moracain.

Find me a great deal on it, please?

Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Gris Clair is mine, for now. That only elevates it like a very little amount higher than the rest of my wardrobe though

Without a doubt---------Green Irish Tweed..

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting! Fragrances are conveniently sized to be grails/idols, aren't they?

Can't say there's anything I'm really dying to get. I'm trying to let the 6 new frags I've bought in the past 2 weeks settle in.

1st Obsession for men - the deep warm spices draw you in while the sweet golden amber relaxes.

2nd Pheromone for men by Marilyn Miglin - no this scent contains no pheromones what so ever. Instead its based on ancient oils of the egyptians - the scent really grows on your senses.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Your Current Holy Grails and Why?

Man, this is a tough one.There is that one, that I alway's pick up,and sniff when I'm looking at my fragrance's, and trying to decide what I'm in the mood for, and that would be JHL. I'm alway's sniffing this, even when I'm not going to wear it.
    Damn good Fragrance!

The beauty part of having Patou PH as your HG is never having to explain "why."

Thrax

You get murdered before you leave the building, and I imagine you'll be fed to the pigs.

Once you've found it, it's not a holy grail anymore.

Dior Homme- My top holy grail
    Cartier- My fresh spicy grail
    Terre d'hermes- My heavy luxury grail
    Gucci Pour homme- My masculine grail
    Vetiver by Guerlain- My exotic grail
    Shalimar- My mysterious grail

Le Labo's Tubereuse40 Neroli Perfected. great winter scent
    Bond no.9 Silver Factory WOW! fantastic Iris, and incense. Bottle is gorgeous.
    Outrageous! by Frederic Malle Lime, mint, green apple, hot tub cedar. Great non-scent frag. simple and clean. perfect for work or gym.

Shiseido Basala
    YSL Opium, M7, Rive Gauche and Kouros
    Salvatore Ferragamo
    Chanel Antaeus
    Burberry London
    Bvlgari Black
    because I feel damn comfortable and fun wearing them

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    because I feel damn comfortable and fun wearing them

That's enough of a reason to wear a fragrance, if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Once you've found it, it's not a holy grail anymore.

Easy there, killjoy .
    Last edited by knightowl; 18th November 2007 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

Cuir Mauresque
    Versailles
    Havana
    Carthusia Uomo
    Baie de Genièvre
    No. 88

If I had found these gems sooner my collection would be much smaller...

Post Thanks / Like

Bois du Portugal - I have worn this for many years, and I have not yet come to find one fragrance that matches it for me. Longevity and sillage are perfecet, and the drydown is tremendous on my skin. I just love this one, and connot be without a bottle. I just do not have enough nice things to say about this fragrance.

A close second for me would be Acqua di Parma Colonia. I love the development of this fragrance as well.
    Last edited by The Duke; 18th November 2007 at 02:51 PM.

I currently have no HG, isn't that sad, given the amount of stuff i have, a lot of them which i love deeply, but nop no HG. Tomorrow will be another day...

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pick me up/casual frags:
    Guerlain Imperiale
    ck be
    Burberry Touch
    These just make me feel comfortable.

Go-to/Power frags:
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Bvlgari Black
    Polo Green
    These are good anytime I want to make an impression and be confident.

Romantic scents:
    Bvlgari PH
    Grey Flannel
    Chanel PM
    I go to these when I want to play up my gentlemanly side.

As of this moment:

Kiton Men

Black Aoud

Possibly Un Jardin en Mediterranee?